Urban Farmer - at the Nines Hotel

• Please log in to reply
90 replies to this topic

#81 aidensnd

aidensnd
  • Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 16 November 2008 - 08:28 PM

Ellen, I cant really comment on UF since I havent been. That being said, If an out of this world steak is what youre after, and you are already considering a place as spendy as UF, go to Lucier and get a big hunk of the Kobe! Its the best steak I have eaten in recent memory!

sorry about the off topic-ness.

First it's probably wagyu not kobe at Lucier. Second, there are multiple offerings of wagyu at UF.

Lucier has both, and it was true Kobe I had. UF only has the american.

btw, it is 25$/oz. for the real deal at Lucier and worth it!

The one time I ate at Lucier I ordered the Kobe upgrade and 1/3 of it was pure gristle. Extremely dissapointing for those prices. When I said something to one of the staff they came back immediately with a stock response of, "it's a really fatty cut of meat" which made it seem like they are used to hearing that complaint. Ummm yeah, the fat content is what I'm paying for, not the gristle... For $25 an ounce, that's just unacceptable.

#82 Flynn

Flynn
  • Secondary Admin
  • 3,681 posts

Posted 16 November 2008 - 08:36 PM

The one time I ate at Lucier I ordered the Kobe upgrade and 1/3 of it was pure gristle. Extremely dissapointing for those prices. When I said something to one of the staff they came back immediately with a stock response of, "it's a really fatty cut of meat" which made it seem like they are used to hearing that complaint. Ummm yeah, the fat content is what I'm paying for, not the gristle... For $25 an ounce, that's just unacceptable.

Exact same experience the one time I pulled the trigger on it. Uh, yeah..I know that ribeyes are fattier, but I also know what gristle is and don't feel like paying $25/oz for it.

#83 firestorm

firestorm
  • Members
  • 69 posts
  • Interests:The Grande Cuisine

Posted 16 November 2008 - 10:27 PM

Ellen, I cant really comment on UF since I havent been. That being said, If an out of this world steak is what youre after, and you are already considering a place as spendy as UF, go to Lucier and get a big hunk of the Kobe! Its the best steak I have eaten in recent memory!

sorry about the off topic-ness.

First it's probably wagyu not kobe at Lucier. Second, there are multiple offerings of wagyu at UF.

Lucier has both, and it was true Kobe I had. UF only has the american.

btw, it is 25$/oz. for the real deal at Lucier and worth it!

nice. i stand corrected... i haven't seen real kobe since i left vegas.
"....they must've been followin us for weeks, how else would they know that i got gas."

#84 superdog

superdog
  • Members
  • 951 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 03:58 PM

Dear All,
Ed and I finally made it to Urban Farmer, both for a drink and dinner on separate evenings. For the drink only evening, we sat at the lounge area - not the bar area, but the hotel very spread out lounge area with different section of seatings and "glass box" lounging area. This area is indeed very confusing for both the wait staff and the patrons, patron moves around a lot and that confuses the wait staff, the wait staff doesn't know exactly which sections are theirs so the patrons are confused. It is one of those unfortunate thing that you have to flag someone down for menus and drinks. Overall, their wine prices seems reasonable - ranging from $9 - teens per glass, beer is 5-7.00. We didn't have cocktail so I can't comment on the drinks or the prices. We had an okay experience, and probably won't be back just for drinks.
As for dinner, we had a FABULOUS experience. We showed up about 15 min early and they seated us right away even it was a full house. A lot of times, going out to dinner with a reservation is like going to the doctors - every if you have an appointment they still make you wait for 15 - 30 mins. I never understood why either, especially if there is an empty table right in front of you. Everything we had was delicious and very well balanced flavor and texture. We had the following for dinner and apps:

Apps:
Crab Cakes
Butter Lettuce Salad

Dinner:
We split the Strawberry Mountain 18 oz 21 days aged ribeye
Twice baked potatoe

Dessert:
Port
3 cheeses

The crab cake has a lot of crab in it, very good size about 2.5 - 3 inches in diameter. Has a absolutely delicious white sauce and thinly sliced apple on top. The apple brings a nice crispiness to the whole dish. The crab cake itself is perfectly cooked and seasoned. Love this dish.
Butter Lettuce Salad - it a beautifully presented dish. - a butter lettuce display open like a green flower, and has dressing drizzle all over it. On the side, there is a fried duck egg. Combining the dressing, duck egg and lettuce is truly an indulgence for us. There a little bit of crispy bacon in the dressing. Again the "googie" duck egg, with the crispy bacon, vinaigrette dressing and fresh butter lettuce makes a very enjoyable dish. The flavor and texture of all the ingredients compliments each other very well, and it is so visually appealing. Another winner for us.
Ribeye - what can I say, it is just meat-tastic! It is tender and great flavor and they split it up for us with no extra charge and less than 10% is fat. We can eat over 90% of the meat. We requested a side of bernaise sauce and I didn't need any sauce at all. Beside bernaise, there are steak sauce and ??? sauce you can get on the house. Another big plus.
Twice baked potatoe - it comes in a potato skin with the "twice baked" potato inside. The potato itself is like a think "baked potato soup" or puree potato with all the fixing already in there. It is absolutely delicious.
Cheeses - we had 3 different kind of cheeses for $12.00, not a bad deal. My favorite as always is the blue. The serving is very generous and all the cheeses comes in a cart that you can choose the type. The "cheese master" was very helpful and knowledgeable about the cheeses that he serves, which really helps in the picking process. It is always fun to have a cheese cart come to your table.

With the port, 2 glasses of wine, and 2 beers the meal was $137 without tip. We had a great time, and will return soon.

Cheers,
Ed and Ellen
Ellen @ SuperDog
superdogpdx@gmail.com

#85 mczlaw

mczlaw
  • Members
  • 571 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 08:54 PM

Ribeye - what can I say, it is just meat-tastic!

Is that the same as beef-a-rific :blink:?
--mcz

#86 Calabrese

Calabrese

Desaparecido

• Banned
  • 5,970 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 06:30 AM

http://www.portlandt...680751062572900 Distefano

Re: Urban Farmer

"This is the only place Iíve ever heard of that sells moonshine legally Ė in fact, technically itís not moonshine if itís legal, since the dictionary definition is ďwhiskey not lawfully distilled.Ē Here, it means a raw, strong spirit made by the artisan distillers at House Spirits.

Urban Farmer used to sell it mixed with punch, but our waitress says it was too intoxicating, so now they mix it up in a quasi-Manhattan called an Oh Harry, with vermouth and grenadine. Itís a sweet, interesting drink, with a hint of the taste of tequila.

Our dinner starts with a rather boring Caesar salad. Itís deconstructed on the plate, with croutons on one side and whole anchovies along the borders, leaving the Romaine to fend for itself.

The main event here is steak, and with unlimited funds, it would be fun to order several and try them side by side, to see how much of a difference there is between corn fed, ďpasture raised-grain finished,Ē and grass fed. I order grass fed. Itís the first time Iíve tried it, and I really like it. Itís slightly less unctuous than conventional steak, with a faintly wild flavor that I can only describe as a touch of elk."

She also touches on a vegetarian potluck open to the public and the new Pastaworks location. Now if Pastaworks would get something in Multnomah Village or B-H Hwy, I'd be happy.

#87 Calabrese

Calabrese

Desaparecido

• Banned
  • 5,970 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 06:13 AM

http://www.oregonliv...ban_farmer.html Sarasohn

#88 Cat Lancaster

Cat Lancaster
  • 2,524 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 09:57 PM

My former boss and I had lunch at Urban Farmer on Tuesday and while it was my fourth visit and her first, they knocked it out of the park for her. She ordered the burger saying that she hadn't had one since the two of us last ate at Clyde Common last year, and she had been craving another good one ever since. She felt this one was even better then what she ordered at CC, and for a 4' 11"/90 pounds soaking wet person, managed to eat 3/4 of it. She said it was so good that even when she was full she wanted "just a little more." She also mentioned that they served some of the best fries that she had ever had in a restaurant {I tried two of them and thought they were good too, but they are also the style of fry that I like} and couldn't wait to bring her husband there so that he could try them. Over all, she loved it.

I started with the 'she crab' soup which wasn't quite what I'm familiar with from the South Carolina/DC area, it was still quite good. The was a medium boiled egg on top, that to be honest, didn't really add anything special/extra to the soup for me, but on the other hand, didn't really take anything away either. I'm still partial to the style of 'she crab' soup that I grew up with on the east coast, but this is something that I'd order there again.

I also had {actually only about four bites, as I was pretty full from the soup} the roasted beet salad which was exactly my style of that dish. The beets were full of flavor, firm and dressed with a vinaigrette that added additional zip without over powering. I ended up eating the rest of the beet salad for dinner tonight and even after sitting in my refrigerator for two days, held up beautifully.

We had very good service, nice pacing and while I was a little worried about it being kind of loud at the two top we sat at, had no problems hearing each other talk at all. I will also admit to being a little high maintenance with how I wanted my leftovers packaged as I was going to be walking the three miles home, and the waitress handled it perfectly. I did apologize for said high maintenance request, but with a genuine seeming smile, the waitress said "no problem" and did exactly what I asked for. I will admit that it was that last little touch that turned this from being a 'nice lunch that I had with my former boss' into 'wow - that was a pretty good lunch.' Kudos to her.

Cat
"travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" ~ Mark Twain

"I'm not a picky eater, but I'm picky about what I eat." ~ Me

#89 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 13 April 2010 - 03:53 PM

Posted Image

Stopped in the other night at Urban Farmer for the burger.

Posted Image

My first time up there. Didn't realize how impressive or fancy the space is.

Posted Image

Too many gorgeous women hanging out waiting for limos than is good for my health. Just about ran into a door. My burger buddy said he recognized a celebrity.

Posted Image

That said, once sitting at the bar I didn't feel like a total loser in my usual hoodie. And the people in the lobby were a lot more well-dressed than the couples and families in the restaurant.

Posted Image

Started with some house-made dill-flavored chips. They were light, crunchy, and tasty.

Posted Image

Ordered a burger with fries. It comes on an English muffin with limp lettuce, white cheddar, aioli, red onion, and tomato jam. Fries weren't crisp enough, especially the ones at the bottom that were a little steamed, but I really liked the flavor. They tasted lemon-peppery, but I think they had tossed them with real lemon zest judging from some of the little bits I got. Hard to stop eating them. They'd be great if they were still crisp.

Posted Image

The English muffin is sturdy and flavorful. I liked it when Gotham used one and I still like it as a bun. It can be a little slippery in the hands and it'd be nice if it had been toasted inside better, but I'm glad someone is offering a muffin bun in town.

Posted Image

The thick patty was cooked as ordered and aggressively seasoned, which I really appreciate with a burger. With all the other flavors, mayo/aioli, ketchup, etc, the meat needs the seasoning to assert its flavor. The aged cheddar added a nice sharpness, but it was the tomato jam that really topped off the burger. It's more sweet than a typical ketchup and against the raw onions rounded out the burger's flavor. Fairly juicy, too, for a medium burger.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#90 salmonfly65

salmonfly65
  • Members
  • 192 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 03:20 PM

I finally made it to Urban Farmer recently with my uncle, his friend, and my mom. Overall, I was pretty disappointed. We had two salads, a sandwich and the pasta dish along with one glass of wine and the total bill, with tip, was over $80.00. My short rib pasta had a very funky taste to it that was less than pleasing. And the portion was very small (not necessarily a bad thing given the taste). My wine barely made it to the table before the food and the gentleman that brought out the food didn't know who ordered what. I really can't think of one reason to go back sadly.

Salud!

#91 Rifleman69

Rifleman69
  • Members
  • 234 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 08:09 PM

I finally made it to Urban Farmer recently with my uncle, his friend, and my mom. Overall, I was pretty disappointed. We had two salads, a sandwich and the pasta dish along with one glass of wine and the total bill, with tip, was over $80.00. My short rib pasta had a very funky taste to it that was less than pleasing. And the portion was very small (not necessarily a bad thing given the taste). My wine barely made it to the table before the food and the gentleman that brought out the food didn't know who ordered what. I really can't think of one reason to go back sadly.

Salud!

Have heard the same from a few Wells Fargo employees who were recommended to dine here...they won't be back.