Urban Farmer - at the Nines Hotel

• Please log in to reply
90 replies to this topic

#1 gustoeater

gustoeater
  • Members
  • 291 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 02:14 PM

Any word on when the restaurants at the new hotel in the M&F building are going to be opening? I saw in craigslist that they were hiring dishwashers, so the opening can't be that far off.

Also: any word on who is going to open in the restaurant that used to be the Days Inn downtown that is now the Modera?

http://www.starwoodh...propertyID=1757

http://www.hotelmodera.com/

#2 aidensnd

aidensnd
  • Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 08:42 PM

Urban Farmer should be sometime mid-Octoberish...

#3 chefken

chefken
  • Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 04:08 AM

Urban Farmer...

Is that anything like an Industrial Park? ;)
signature

#4 StMaximo

StMaximo
  • Members
  • 2,702 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 04:42 AM

Urban Farmer...

Is that anything like an Industrial Park? ;)

I had visions of waitstaff in bib overalls, rubber mucking boots and John Deere hats.

#5 singingpig

singingpig
  • Members
  • 467 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 11:43 AM

They are shooting for mid-October opening. Took a tour last week. The dining room is amazing.

The kitchen is larger than some restaurants--one whole wall consists of 4 walk-ins.

They are busily canning local produce right now.

The name is a little unusual, but the dining room is really an amazing space.

I immediately flashed on Seinfeld's "Urban Sombrero' episode when I heard the name. ;)

#6 MikeDraco

MikeDraco
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 05:34 PM

I heard their kitchen staff aren't getting their Oregon State required breaks. So who knows what other corners might be cut.

#7 Amanda

Amanda
  • 7,626 posts
  • Interests:Eating, cooking, kayaking, canoeing, letterboxing

Posted 24 September 2008 - 05:46 PM

Welcome, by the way. And exactly when did you or your friend(s) get hired by them?

Best regards,

Amanda

#8 MikeDraco

MikeDraco
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 06:08 PM

Welcome, by the way. And exactly when did you or your friend(s) get hired by them?

Best regards,

Amanda

I'm not sure. It was a friend of my son's, I imagine recently but don't know, he was talking to my son actually, not me.

#9 aidensnd

aidensnd
  • Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 07:04 PM

I heard their kitchen staff aren't getting their Oregon State required breaks. So who knows what other corners might be cut.

I highly doubt that many, if any restaurants get their breaks, at least none that I've worked in ever had. It's not like when you're in the weeds you can all of a sudden look at the clock and say, "Oh, break time, back in fifteen..."

I'm not sure how that ties in to them cutting corners anyway.

Disclaimer: I work at the Nines

#10 Guest_MostlyRunning_*

Guest_MostlyRunning_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 September 2008 - 07:19 PM

They posted FOH positions on Craigslist recently if anyone is looking.

#11 MikeDraco

MikeDraco
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 07:45 PM

I highly doubt that many, if any restaurants get their breaks, at least none that I've worked in ever had. It's not like when you're in the weeds you can all of a sudden look at the clock and say, "Oh, break time, back in fifteen..."

I'm not sure how that ties in to them cutting corners anyway.

The last time I worked in a restaurant was when I was a teenager at McDonald's. But I looked it up and don't find any exemptions for restaurants. Just doesn't seem right.

As far as relevance. Not regarding laws on one matter could mean that others wouldn't be heeded either. That's just my concern.

#12 firestorm

firestorm
  • Members
  • 69 posts
  • Interests:The Grande Cuisine

Posted 24 September 2008 - 08:15 PM

first and foremost, this is absurd - "I heard their kitchen staff aren't getting their Oregon State required breaks" . second, extra corners have been installed...and not the adverse.
"....they must've been followin us for weeks, how else would they know that i got gas."

#13 Roux

Roux
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 October 2008 - 01:14 PM

I've worked in restaurants for 6 years. Usually the only way you can get a break is if you're a smoker and claim a dire need for nicotine. Urban Farmer is the first place I've been that actually gives a sit down lunch break. I have seen absolutely no corners being cut anywhere on the premises. Quite the opposite in fact. Anywhere they can go above and beyond, they do.

#14 ducky

ducky
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 04 October 2008 - 03:51 PM

Welcome to the site, Roux!
Pamela

Eating is not merely a material pleasure. Eating well gives a spectacular joy to life
and contributes immensely to goodwill and happy companionship.
It is of great importance to the morale.

-Elsa Schiaparelli

(Avatar is the cover of Sunlight Cafe by Mollie Katzen)

#15 Markovitch

Markovitch

chinese w-rapper.

• Members
  • 925 posts

Posted 04 October 2008 - 03:59 PM

if you're only going to dine at restaurants following the letter of all labor laws, you'll be cooking at home a lot. It's a fact of life.

#16 GizmoCat

GizmoCat
  • Members
  • 729 posts
  • Interests:Wine, Food, Music, Travel

Posted 04 October 2008 - 07:23 PM

The location is great. The atmosphere will please. The place is clean and crisp with a great skylight, several floors above, for those daylight moments.

Should be a great place to dine........waiting to taste the food, of course.

#17 marcass

marcass
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 08:21 AM

Show me a restaurant that gives breaks and I'll be utterly amazed! I have been working in the industry for 20 years and the only places that give breaks are institutions like hospitals, schools, and retirement homes. That is just how it is. People that work in this industry should already know this!

Walked by there yesterday and the whole building looked pretty crazy so I can only imagine what the restaurant looks like!

#18 singingpig

singingpig
  • Members
  • 467 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 11:39 AM

The location is great. The atmosphere will please. The place is clean and crisp with a great skylight, several floors above, for those daylight moments.

The dining room is beautiful, I was admiring the wood floor then looked up to see the massive skylight 7 floors or so up...amazing.

The kitchen is very impressive in its scope,also.

Roux, that's pretty great you have a sitdown family meal for lunch--no more standing over the garbage can eating lukewarm food :lol:

#19 Roux

Roux
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 10:23 AM

The dining room is beautiful, I was admiring the wood floor then looked up to see the massive skylight 7 floors or so up...amazing.

The kitchen is very impressive in its scope,also.

Roux, that's pretty great you have a sitdown family meal for lunch--no more standing over the garbage can eating lukewarm food :D

Well, I still do a fair amount of eating lukewarm food standing up. ;D Just because we can take an actual lunch break doesn't mean we always do! This is serious business, and none of us want to miss a moment of it! It's a privilege to work with a group of such dedicated and talented people. I'm also thrilled that we're working with so many of my favorite local farms to get the best raw ingredients that Oregon has to offer!

#20 Quo Vadis

Quo Vadis
  • Members
  • 1,854 posts
  • Interests:You live to serve this ship<br />So serve well, and live<br />-Ben Hur

Posted 09 October 2008 - 10:33 AM

"I heard their kitchen staff aren't getting their Oregon State required breaks. So who knows what other corners might be cut."

As long as employees are 18+ there are certain exemptions... for example if there is only one person to cover a position. In that case an employee must be allowed to eat while still on duty and on the clock.

Besides, I pity the guest who eats from a kitchen where the cooks are more concerned about getting their 10 minute break than TCOB.
Methinks I am like a man, who having struck on many shoals, and having narrowly escap'd shipwreck in passing a small frith, has yet the temerity to put out to sea in the same leaky weather-beaten vessel, and even carries his ambition so far as to think of compassing the globe under these disadvantageous circumstances-Hume