#21 bbqboy

bbqboy
  • Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 11 August 2007 - 08:28 PM

new place named T's bar and Grill and corner of 2nd and E. Main,
open 5-whenever the chef stops cooking,
according to the sign on the door.
New menu each day, locally sourced as much as possible.
This is in the old Soda Fountain place next to Blue Dragon Books.
I haven't been past it in the evening to see what's shakin' yet.
her's a pretty good summary of liquid assets and Kobe by David Sarasohn:
http://www.oregonliv...e....xml&coll=7
Another new spot opening in Medford is Sloe Bar and Grill, Susan Powell's(pilaf owner) new place in the old Sambuca spot.
http://www.mailtribu...TEMPO/708100310
38 on Central has also opened in DT Medford.

south valley taco trucks:

El Tacotote in the Talent Cafe parking lot across from Wal-Mart in Talent. Just west of I 5
Tacos Michoacan in the Tark's parking lot in Downtown Talent. (Considered the best by many-only weekdays)
Tacos Marisco in the Ray's parking lot in Phoenix(closed Wednesdays)-my daughter's favorite because he makes his own tortillas.
A new one Tacos De Mayor(I hope) at Bolz and Valley View, across 99 from Ray's
(I haven't eaten at this one yet)
Tacos Michel, right south of Hansen's BMW shop on 99, N. Phoenix (I love this guy)
The Flea Market Guy-only open Sat. and Sun for A-1 flea Market.
Rico's Tacos-in the alley behind the (now) former Musichead between Riverside and Central south of 10th in Medford. . Pretty decent $1.00 tacos.
Las Morenas Truck at Sage and Mc Andrews
El Gallo Truck on West Main , somewhere between the car wash and Blackbird,

#22 hidenseek

hidenseek
  • Members
  • 165 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 09:40 AM

So where did you end up, Jamesongrrl? My wife and I are headed to Ashland next weekend. We thought Lark's was decent when we were there a couple years ago, but based on recs in this thread, looks like we should get back to Amuse.

#23 FoodLuvr

FoodLuvr
  • Members
  • 182 posts
  • Interests:Food food.. banh mi, Binh Minh Sandwiches, drink, drink, drink...

Posted 17 October 2007 - 06:01 PM

I was actually in Ashland a couple weeks ago so I thought I might just add my eating experience there for anybody going there soon:

My friends and I had a craving for sushi, but found that the only viable sushi option off of Main street was closed so we were recommended to go to was Pangea. We only had 1 hour to scarf something down before the play started, so we ran to Pangea - menu consisted of wraps and sandwiches. I ordered a chicken, artichoke panini. The panini seemed to be whole wheat-ish and it didn't seem too bad. I washed it down with one of their rose infused lemonades.

We made reservations at Chataulin one night. The place seemed a little old and stuffy. I ordered the special halibut with a very flavorful rice side that seemed to be cooked in coconut. I can't remember exactly what the halibut had on it, but it was cooked perfectly and flaked easily. I also ordered a glass of Dr. Loosen Reisling, but something seemed way off when I first tried it - like a dirty sock. I politely requested another glass and told the waiter that the wine smelled off, and the manager came out asking if I ever had a Gewurtz before... I was confused when I had ordered a Reisling and he was questioning if I knew what I was drinking. I told him the problem and he said he knew what it was.. came back with something else, did not taste again like a Dr. Loosen Reisling at all, but I didn't want to bother again with sending it back as it wasn't as bad as what was brought earlier. Kind of felt like they didn't think we knew what we were drinking as the group I was with were young (we all look like we're teens when we're in our 30's, and not in our 50+ like the other patrons in the restaurant). Anyhow, I digress. My friends had the lamb (was overcooked) and the duck (also overcooked). Overall, we were not impressed.

We also went to a restaurant called Tabu for lunch... Nuevo Latino cuisine. It was pretty empty on a Saturday afternoon, just our group of 3 and a couple in the corner. To start we had the yuka fries with chipotle dip. The serving was a huge ass bowl, and loved the dip it came with. We shared a bowl of Pozole soup - pork and hominy in a spicy broth.. it wasn't really spicy, but reminded me of bun bo hue - ish kind of broth. Very good and comforting! My friend had the Ceviche Tostada - fish and shrimp ceviche with a lot of cabbage.. I would've liked more ceviche and less cabbage.
My other friend and I shared the Tacos de Pescado - spicy fish tacos with 3 different types of sauces - mango habanero, chipotle (same as fries), and jalapeno lime. It was delish!! Service was great. Overall, I would recommend this place.

The other place we went to for drinks and some sushi rolls was a new sushi place near Beasy's on the creek. I forget the name, but it had just opened up. We had only had a couple of rolls - spicy tuna and a california roll as they had stopped serving nigiri since we got in late. Service was great and loved the atmosphere - sleek, clean, modern decor Hopefully this place is still around the next time we come back as I've love to try more of their offerings.

Oh, and one more place we tried - the ice cream shop that I also forgot the name of. It's on Main St. not too far from the Ashland Springs Inn. All icecream there is all natural and their pear flavored ice cream rocks!

Ok, that's all :unsure:

#24 jemangepdx

jemangepdx
  • Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 03:04 PM

Funny! I was just in Ashland too, FoodLuvr -- the weekend of Oct 5 -- perhaps we walked by each other? Although, we didn't eat at the same places...

First night we were running late and needed a quick place for dinner before a play. Went to Thai Pepper because they had space available in the bar area and we didn't have to wait for a table. I had a beef coconut curry and jwa asked for a tofu curry and got chicken. It was just okay -- nothing special. Probably wouldn't go back again on purpose.

Second night I baked a squash lasagna in the room that we had brought with us. :D

Third night it was Dragonfly. It was a nice space. We had an ahi appetizer, I got the roast chicken (Asian style) and jwa had the salmon special. The chicken was interesting in that you can pick a quarter or a half and get it prepared in different styles (Asian, Latino, etc...). I thought our meal was really tasty and I'd go back.

The last night we went to the Winchester Inn. We always go here and the meals vary from amazing to pretty good. We seem to typically have a wonderful meal and then the next time we go back we're a little disappointed. This was one of those times. The previous meal (last April) was just so good and there were a few things off this meal. The smoked salmon on top of the risotto-stuffed portobello mushroom just seemed out of place and kind of weird. My duck was good but not nearly as good as the lamb shank I had the last time there. We'll go back but based much more on previous meals more than this one.

I've always wanted to try Tabu -- it sounds like you had a really great meal. That's definitely on my list now, thanks!

#25 FoodLuvr

FoodLuvr
  • Members
  • 182 posts
  • Interests:Food food.. banh mi, Binh Minh Sandwiches, drink, drink, drink...

Posted 19 October 2007 - 09:28 AM

jemangepdx -
I was there that same weekend too. Had to get in to see a couple of plays in the open theater before it closed for the season... wowweee was it freeezing, but beautiful under the stars! I loved Romeo and Juliet, and how they kind of mixed in some modern takes, although felt bad for the actors in their bare clothing at times. You could tell it was really cold by seeing their breath in the air.
Hope you had a good time there!

#26 Jamesongrrl

Jamesongrrl
  • Members
  • 1,137 posts
  • Interests:Tied for first: Travel & Food & Motorcycles (particularly my BMW 650 GS)

Posted 19 October 2007 - 10:47 AM

I went at the end of September. Just missed you all. B)

I ate at Amuse, and it was alright. I had the steak, which I hardly ever order steak anymore because I just usually end up feeling that I could could something comparable at home for less. And this was still the case.
But my dining partner had the truffle game hen and it was very tender and aromatic. Definitely a nice dish.

Funny, I saw Romeo & Juliet too but was disappointed. I didn't like either Romeo or Juliet, and didn't think they had the flow of the language down well. The only one who I was impressed with, and I felt stole every scene he was in was, was Mercutio. He was worth watching the play for.

(Disclosure: I'm a bit of a theater snob, having a degree in theater and being involved/working in the industry for 10yrs.)
I'm not sure I really like the mixed-genre as well. It seemed like they couldn't make up their mind of a more traditional feel or let's go 'Harry Potter' since all the youths were in British school uniforms.

Also, the way it was presented it lost the 'star-crossed lovers' aspect for me and became a Romeo is in love one day, gets drunk at a party that night, falls in love with a different girl (while drunk), marries her the next day... it was way to immature. (Not saying that those aren't a part of the play but it seemed to really highlight those aspects rather than the love story.)

I wish I had seen The Tempest instead. ;)
Jamesongrrl
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.
-J.R.R. Tolkien

#27 Justine

Justine
  • Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 12:30 PM

Jamesongirl

I agree with you re: Romeo & Juliet - I am a complete amateur when it comes to theater but I felt the same as you - before the break I thought the director was playing for laughs a bit too much and by the second half it was too late to drum up deep feelings towards the families feuding or the tragedy of their love for each other. Sadly I wasn't that impressed with The Tempest either but that could be me.

We ate at Peerless and had a lovely time - and breakfasts at Morning Glory, Brothers and ABC - all very good in their own way. And I love the Blacksheep esp. when soccer is on the telly.

#28 jemangepdx

jemangepdx
  • Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 12:32 PM

It was freezing! We didn't see R&J but on the first night (Thursday) we saw Taming of the Shrew and it was raining so hard we really thought they were going to shut down the performance. Luckily our seats were back far enough that we were under the balcony so we stayed dried. ;)

The Tempest was good, Jamesongrrl. Very minimal (stage design wise). I wish I had been more up on the story before seeing it tho, I think I would have liked it more if I had. I thought On the Razzle was really, really funny. Probably my favorite this trip.

#29 Jamesongrrl

Jamesongrrl
  • Members
  • 1,137 posts
  • Interests:Tied for first: Travel & Food & Motorcycles (particularly my BMW 650 GS)

Posted 19 October 2007 - 02:25 PM

Jamesongrrl

I agree with you re: Romeo & Juliet - I am a complete amateur when it comes to theater but I felt the same as you - before the break I thought the director was playing for laughs a bit too much and by the second half it was too late to drum up deep feelings towards the families feuding or the tragedy of their love for each other. Sadly I wasn't that impressed with The Tempest either but that could be me.

We ate at Peerless and had a lovely time - and breakfasts at Morning Glory, Brothers and ABC - all very good in their own way. And I love the Blacksheep esp. when soccer is on the telly.

Exactly. I thought the exact same thing. (But as mentioned- Mercutio deserves his nods.)

We stayed at the Peerless hotel! I loved it. Old style carved wood and brick. Very classy. Only 6 rooms so we didn't see another soul until breakfast and the service was definitely 4 star. (I thought breakfast was was only so-so. I was hoping to choose my breakfast but as a guest you just get served the breakfast of the day- which that day was a vegetarian omelet. It didn't light a fire in my soul, I have the feeling that dinner is much better.)

Otherwise, just for the hotel- I'd highly recommend it.
I stayed in guest room 1. Peerless Hotel
Jamesongrrl
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.
-J.R.R. Tolkien

#30 SarahWS

SarahWS
  • 1,406 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 12:14 AM

This will be my fifth or sixth (at least) visit to Ashland with my mother and I'm hoping to get some recommendations for new places to try. Some absolute favorites - Morning Glory for breakfast, Amuse for dinner. We've tried Larks in the Ashland Springs Hotel since they were remodeled/reorganized - it's a solid B for lunch. Went to the Mexican place in downtown, Agave, which again was pretty good with casual service. My parents have been to New Sammy's, but I doubt we'll ever return because my father was involved in a professional capacity with the very messy dissolution of their former restaurant in the Bay Area.

Yelp (shudder, shudder) would lead me to try Wiley's Pasta Co and the Peerless, but does anyone have any suggestions? Also would love to hear what people think of any place in Ashland, Jacksonville, Medford, Talent, Central Point, or Grant's Pass with good food.

My sister sent me a clipping from Gourmet's August 2008 issue for Summer Jo's Organic Farm, Restaurant and Bakery with this blurb "Wander this pretty farm in Oregon's Rogue Vally before sitting down to a plat of its fruits, vegetables, and herbs, grown to the specifications of Joy Cyr for her seasonal menu. Wheat from the fields become artisanal bread, and the tables are prettied up with flowers from the grounds. Whether you eat on the porch, in the garden, or in the wine room, it's hard to do better than dishes like nicoise salad with just-picked lettuces, tomatoes, and haricots verts." summerjos.com Has anyone actually gone here??

A few years ago we found a great Russian restaurant in Medford, Samovar, which unfortunately is gone....

#31 emilia419

emilia419
  • Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 09:52 AM

I have been to Summer Jo's 3 times. Being an Grants Pass native (and not exactly proud of it) the first time I was totally blown away! We went for brunch and they had a cheese plate with Salumi cured meats from Seattle. This was not the GP I grew up in! Brunch was excellent and I have since had dinner and brunch again. Now its all very impressive for Southern Oregon-and I think it stands up to my Portland comparisons. Quite shocking to me really. Great produce, pretty plates garnished with flowers, a menu with a brain behind it. I think I preferred brunch more but both meals were enjoyable. I just didn't love the veggie risotto I ordered-but everyone's fish and meat was fantastic.

Its a pretty low key place. Wooden tables outside, dirt parking lot. But I try to go every time I am in town. I would encourage you to sit outside. But if you go in the evening watch out for mosquitoes. I got a bite I still remember it was so nasty. If you are in GP Summer Jos is certainly worth a stop. There is plenty to avoid there.

Also nice in GP (again hard for me to fess up to this) is the Growers Market. I don't know why they don't call it a Farmers Market. But it is right downtown and fun to walk around. Saturdays til 2pm. Freshly made doughnuts that are dense and a little different but really good. I got mine topped with Bavarian Cream. Don't eat a whole one and think about a meal in the next few hours. In addition to produce and food products there is a craft section. Local culture at its best and worst.

You won't be able to be in town for a minute without tripping over a Dutch Bros coffee. Grants Pass is the original home of the Bros and I was one of the first employees back when espresso was still a foreigh word. Nothing like a iced coffee drink for $2 from a cute local to drink in your car though a big straw. Aw memories.

I will repost if any repressed memories surface. Enjoy the old south of Oregon.

#32 Amanda

Amanda
  • 7,626 posts
  • Interests:Eating, cooking, kayaking, canoeing, letterboxing

Posted 12 June 2009 - 10:25 AM

Funny you should talk about Southern Oregon that way, emilia419. I was born (but thankfully not raised) in Roseburg not too far up the road from where you're from. I used to take the Greyhound down there on weekends several times a year to visit relatives. Kind of redneck. I can sum up my take on it with the following words:

"There's a whole lot to do in Douglas County, Oregon, and none of it's good."

Might the same be said for Jackson County, as well?

Best regards,

Amanda

#33 emilia419

emilia419
  • Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 12:02 PM

Well Amanda that is pretty true. I must say we are Josephine County-home of the Cavemen. Yes, a place proud to embrace the neanderthal side. Jackson County yuck! The most fun to be had down there often dangerous, illegal or just embarrassing. River stuff is world class but you can't do that every day. At least I can't. The increasing mix of CA retirees, conservative Christians and meth freaks isn't the best. The poverty does not help the situation. Parts of it are better then when I was there and parts have just gotten much worse. Of course I am a bit of a born snob once I saw the outside could never adjust to being back in the valley. Although I think it raised me well. It is gorgeous with sun all summer unlike the damper north I now inhabit. And progressive people have discovered there is a good life to be found there. Some kids I know just started an organic farm on their parent's property and are doing a CSA program for the first time.

Your Roseburg roots remind me that on our way home Memorial Day weekend we stopped at Abacela Winery around Roseburg. I have long been a fan of their wines and between the drive along the Umpqua River to get there and the views from the vineyard I got a little closer to my conclusion that there are far worse places to be from than Southern Oregon. I would recommend anyone make the stop.

Also back to travel advice if you were to take the back way from Medford to Jacksonville and then on to GP that would be a worthwhile drive. Beautiful, farms and and area not yet hit by Walmarts. Of course I have no idea what the name of this road is so let me now and I will figure it out. From Grants Pass you can also drive down the Rogue River much of it along the wild and scenic portion(also quite amazing) to Galice Resort. "Resort" is a joke. But it is an institution. And the only place to eat for miles except Morrison Lodge which is quite upscale (martha stewart stayed there) but no idea what the meal situation is. The food at Galice is not amazing, but the location is and it is the trip worth taking. Maybe 45 mins from GP? And you can keep going to the end of the road and hike to Rainey Falls or all the way to Gold Beach if you have a few days.

Geez listen to me endorse the homeland. I'm clearly conflicted.

#34 bbqboy

bbqboy
  • Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 08:16 AM

Palace Cafe on A Street just opened, run by long time RV chef and caterer Helena Darling. Open 11-3 m-f and dinner on Friday
night, according to the sign in the window. I've haven't eaten there yet, but have always enjoyed her cooking.
http://www.palacecaf....com/index.html
An afternoon farmer's market just got started at Roxy Ann Winery/Hillcrest Orchards in Medford. 2-6 Wednesdays and Fridays.
Same growers as our other markets, but you get to sip wine while shopping.
http://roxyann.com/mn.asp?pg=events
Beer festival this weekend at Main Street Market in Medford.

http://www.bearcreek...m/beerfest2009/
I've been lax in writing down details about new places and things, so let me do a little footwork and I'll report back.

#35 daisy

daisy
  • Members
  • 177 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 12:12 PM

Yelp (shudder, shudder) would lead me to try Wiley's Pasta Co and the Peerless, but does anyone have any suggestions? Also would love to hear what people think of any place in Ashland, Jacksonville, Medford, Talent, Central Point, or Grant's Pass with good food.

I would skip Wiley's Pasta. My sister and I checked it out on one of my recent visits (she had seen several glowing reviews). The couple who run it are very nice but my microwaved lasagna - not so much. We could see the owner/chef in the kitchen from where we were sitting and watched as he put our lasagna in and pressed the button. I believe the lasagna was originally made from scratch - but it was destroyed when reheated (and I am not sure how good it would have been to begin with). The wife, who seems to manage the FOH, noticed that we barely touched our meals and offered to bring us something else/asked what was wrong. We very apologetically told her that it wasn't what we had in mind - they were so nice I was reluctant to hurt their feelings. I'll usually just soldier through a meal if it isn't to my liking but this lasagna was so far beyond edible it wasn't an option. Anyway, she comped us most of the meal - which we appreciated. And, then we went off to Agave for round two.

#36 SarahWS

SarahWS
  • 1,406 posts

Posted 26 June 2009 - 09:01 PM

We ended up hitting Summer Jo's, the Rogue Creamery in Central Point (god do they have a FABULOUS selection of cheeses, easily double the selection they bring to the Portland Farmers' Market), Lark's, Morning Glory, and Amuse. All were great experiences...

Drove from Ashland, stopped in Jacksonville (boy are the stores hurting), through the Applegate Valley (gorgeous scenery, too bad my dad was still on a walker and missed out on the trip, because we went by a ton of interesting wineries, took about 45 min), into Grant's Pass (busy downtown with a LOT of independent businesses) to Summer Jo's Restaurant (my mother said it was the best dressed salad she's ever had, amazing fresh baked herb dinner rolls, a nice cheeseburger with handmade pickles, and loved the walk around the farm), down I-5 to Central Point (20 mins) where I hit cheese nirvana, and then back to Ashland.

We went to Amuse 3 nights out of 4 and didn't have a single dish below the quality I expect from that price range. The service was a little more inexperienced and less professional than Portland. We had one lunch and one dinner at Larks, the restaurant in the Ashland Springs Hotel. which was excellent farm-fresh light American cuisine (particularly enjoyed the copper river salmon I had one night).

#37 bbqboy

bbqboy
  • Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 27 June 2009 - 01:14 PM

Lillebelle Chocolates, next to Rogue Creamery, makes some nifty chocolate and other things. Great samples too.

#38 SarahWS

SarahWS
  • 1,406 posts

Posted 27 June 2009 - 01:32 PM

Lillebelle Chocolates, next to Rogue Creamery, makes some nifty chocolate and other things. Great samples too.

Yup, we saw it, but didn't go in as my mother is allergic to chocolate. Also there's two wineries sharing a tasting room in the restored garage of the Rogue Creamery between Lillebelle Chocolates and Rogue Creamery. We didn't go in as my mom hates drinking wine during the day.

Couldn't believe the amount of development in Medford just since the last time we really drove through Medford on 99W (2003) - tons of new strip malls, a massive complex of baseball fields called US Cellular Park, a new public library building the size of Portland's main library, endless subdivisions on what used to be pear orchards.

By the way, the wife of the chef-owner of Amuse (she ran the front of the house in the early days) has opened a bakery across from the Lithia water fountains, Mix. Went and admired the gorgeous french tarts, but didn't end up getting anything. We had her bread at Amuse every night (excellent french-style bread).

Sarah

#39 bbqboy

bbqboy
  • Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 02:29 PM

good news here:
http://www.dailytidi.../LIFE/907080308

By Dawn Hatchard Tidings correspondent July 08, 2009 After flood, scandals and times of plenty, Patrick Couchman, owner of Siskiyou Brew Pub, is moving on in life after being involved with the downtown business for 20 years.

"I'm not retiring," said Couchman, adding, "I wish!"

Jim Mills of the Caldera Brewing Company purchased the business at 31 Water St. and is renaming it the Caldera Tap House. It will offer 20 taps, five of them rotating, said Erin Akers, longtime bartender at the Siskiyou Brew Pub.

Couchman came on the scene working for Rogue Brewery in late 1989 and soon became partners with the Rogue Brewery in 1992. The floods of '96 and '97 devastated the brewery. Couchman bought the business in 1997 and renamed it the Siskiyou Brew Pub.

"I felt there was a place for a pub and put it back together," Couchman said.

Mills was around throughout the 1990s, too, brewing beer at the Rogue Brewery.

"I'm a little panicked Pat's leaving. He's been taking care of my beer for a long time," said K.B., a patron who has frequented the location since the first week it was the Rogue Brewery.

"I appreciate who's getting the place," K.B. said after a moment of consideration, "I've been drinking Jim's beer for a long time." cont.....

#40 loofahgirl

loofahgirl
  • Members
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 12:54 PM

Not sure if this is the right place to put this, but can anyone recommend any wineries in and around the Ashland area? We may be there in a couple weeks.