Hash

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#21 Joy

Joy
  • Members
  • 176 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 08:02 PM

Finally tried them out this morning. Figured the time change might help us get a table--we arrived at 10, or 9 depending on when you change your clocks. Got there just in time to beat the rush, but they seem to turn the tables pretty fast.

The space was clean and spare, but surprisingly all the hard surfaces didn't make it too loud, even with lots of kids there.

The dishes, IKEA. (Is it just me or is every restaurant in town buying their dishes there now?)

I agree that the Courier coffee wasn't as kick you in the ass as stumptown, but sometimes when you want a bottomless cup of coffee with your breakfast, you can't handle mud. I liked the coffee.

They brought us tiny little scones with the most amazing blueberry-marionberry jam as an amuse-bouche before the food arrived.

I had the corned beef hash with a poached egg and rye toast.
It was different than the hash I was expecting. Growing up in the midwest, corned beef hash came from a can and smelled like dog food. (And yet I still kinda liked it. :)) Anyway, this hash was tiny cubed potatoes spiced with green and red peppers that were subtle but added a lot. And then topped with strips of shredded corned beef and the egg on top. The corned beef was delicious, juicy and flavored unlike any corned beef I've ever had. Not very spicy, almost lemony? The rye toast looked like it also came from IKEA. (Small and precious and flavorless.) All dishes were served with a small bowl of fruit salad--pineapple, grapes and melon. Not exactly seasonal, but it was something sweet I guess.

They brought us a "hot sauce" as well. I can't really describe it. It was at first sweet, like apples or red peppers but got spicier with almost a hint of curry and it was the color of egg yolks. It must be a Swedish hot sauce. I loved it though.

My SO had the eggs benedict. He said they were fairly standard, if a little lemony which sometimes helps cut through the fat of homemade hollandaise.

I eyed several people eating the ableskivers and had to stop myself from staring and drooling. Have to get that next time.

We thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. The most remarkable thing about the place was probably the portion size/price equivalent. The portion sizes were perfect, unless you were expecting greasy spoon fare. We ate every single morsel on the plate, but left satisfied and didn't need a nap afterward. If you like a trough for breakfast, this is not your place. The prices were a little high for my taste. The average breakfast is $11-12. But considering the quality of the food and the experience, it is a minor complaint.
I hope Hash does well.

#22 alicia

alicia
  • Members
  • 143 posts
  • Interests:food, family, sleeping, cameras.

Posted 02 November 2008 - 09:53 PM

i ate there recently and i liked the food and the space a lot, but i left wishing i'd had like, one or two more bites, you know? i wish restaurants could find a happy medium between giving you giant sloppy plates of way too much food, and paring it down to just barely enough to fill you up. i definitely thought the prices were a little high for the portion sizes. i'd happily pay the same price for maybe one more small scoop of food. well actually, my husband had the eggs benedict and his was rich enough to fill him up, but i had veggie hash and it just didn't do the trick, i kept having to steal bites of my husband's food. i like the spot though, and i'll probably go back (it's in my neighborhood).

#23 mczlaw

mczlaw
  • Members
  • 571 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 10:52 PM

i ate there recently and i liked the food and the space a lot, but i left wishing i'd had like, one or two more bites, you know? i wish restaurants could find a happy medium between giving you giant sloppy plates of way too much food, and paring it down to just barely enough to fill you up.

Great idea. To deal with little problem that everyone has a different appetite and different views on portion size, I recommend a weight, height and hunger calculator you fill out before you order with pricing on all items given by the gram. No one need ever walk away from the table feeling "one or two bites" short of satisfied--and I'm sure kitchens and waitstaff everywhere would be thrilled to participate.

--mcz

#24 Guest_MostlyRunning_*

Guest_MostlyRunning_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 November 2008 - 12:09 AM

i ate there recently and i liked the food and the space a lot, but i left wishing i'd had like, one or two more bites, you know? i wish restaurants could find a happy medium between giving you giant sloppy plates of way too much food, and paring it down to just barely enough to fill you up.

Great idea. To deal with little problem that everyone has a different appetite and different views on portion size, I recommend a weight, height and hunger calculator you fill out before you order with pricing on all items given by the gram. No one need ever walk away from the table feeling "one or two bites" short of satisfied--and I'm sure kitchens and waitstaff everywhere would be thrilled to participate.

--mcz

I think everyone needs to take a really deep breath and indulge in whatever vices they use to get through tough times.

#25 nervousxtian

nervousxtian
  • Members
  • 2,127 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 05:15 AM

Wow, was it asshole day yesterday or something.. I missed that memo and all the ensuing fun I could have had.

#26 alicia

alicia
  • Members
  • 143 posts
  • Interests:food, family, sleeping, cameras.

Posted 03 November 2008 - 08:35 AM

oh, jeez. are you serious?

#27 nomnom

nomnom
  • Members
  • 203 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 08:44 AM

Anyone have a menu for Hash? I have unreasonable breakfast requirements.

#28 rottentreats

rottentreats
  • Members
  • 112 posts
  • Interests:Photography, video games, and that absolutely hot man, Anthony Bourdain. ;)

Posted 03 November 2008 - 08:52 AM

http://www.hashrestaurant.com/menu.htm

BTW, love your name, nomnom!

#29 nervousxtian

nervousxtian
  • Members
  • 2,127 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 08:53 AM

Here you go:

Posted Image

Posted Image

#30 nomnom

nomnom
  • Members
  • 203 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 09:01 AM

Thanks, guys.

And thank you re: name, rottentreats!

#31 Calabrese

Calabrese

Desaparecido

• Banned
  • 5,970 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 06:09 AM

http://www.oregonliv..._hash.html#more Gelber

"Wong and Murray, friends who cooked at the high-end Sel Gris, aren't striving to be superstar chefs. Their food is honest, moderately priced, at times, shining. Reality has sunk in, and these days, if you can make something from nothing, you've got some pretty tasty hash. "

"Hash, which opened in Sellwood last September, isn't trying to reinvent breakfast. Chef-owners Richard Wong and Michael Murray simply give us what we want: farm fresh, made from scratch, comfort. Ingredients are from the school of free-range, hormone-free and local when possible."

#32 Sarah

Sarah
  • Members
  • 244 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 02:02 PM

Today's Groupon deal is for Hash:
http://www.groupon.c...hash-restaurant

I'd never heard of this website until someone linked it on Facebook. It's pretty nifty. The deal is that you buy a $12 coupon worth $25 of food, or something like that.

#33 emilia419

emilia419
  • Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 02:25 PM

Groupon is pretty cool and often has good dining deals. I like trying new places and feeling good about ordering extra with the free money. Servers have always been nice about it and I always tip generously for the hassle. I have been meaning to try Hash and now I will get there sooner rather than later. I will be sure to post back after my meal.

The best and worst thing about it is if you get your friends to buy their first Groupon through your link you get a $10 credit. I don't think Sarah's link below will get her a credit, if it does please let me know and I will remove my link. I'm not trying to scoop on her Groupon!

Here is my link if anyone wants to fully work the Groupon system. We have 2 days left to buy.
Groupon Deal of the day-Hash

#34 Sarah

Sarah
  • Members
  • 244 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 02:29 PM

Go for it, emilia; I just wanted to share the link. I don't actually have an account, but I may have to sign up now!

#35 Abbe and Jebby

Abbe and Jebby
  • Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 02:45 PM

We were less than impressed with this restaurant. To say that our first meal at Hash was a long time coming is the understatement of the year. Hash opened three short blocks away from my house in September of 2008, and I always passed by longingly, telling myself "Someday! Someday I'll eat there." That someday didn't come until Abbe moved into a duplex six blocks away from me and we vowed to try and review all of Portland's restaurants. And the rest is history, as they say. So a few weeks ago, we ate at Hash.
Our opinion of Hash:
When all's said and done, Hash is selling style, not substance. When you eat there, the price on your bill isn't just for a modestly-sized but well made meal made from sustainable, cruelty-free, local ingredients. You pay for the privilege of sitting at a skyscraping bistro chair, you pay for art you can't understand, you pay to be able to say that you've eaten at A Restaurant Like Hash. In the end, it's all about appearances. Hash seems more concerned with selling the image of an exclusive, high-class restaurant than in making their patrons feel comfortable and well-fed. Abbe and I are happy to shell out the big bucks for a great dining experience, but eating at Hash sort of feels like paying for air. Quality food can and should be accessible and unpretentious. There is a way to serve a meal made from sustainable local food without looking down your nose at the world, and in this most important way, Hash misses the mark.

#36 nervousxtian

nervousxtian
  • Members
  • 2,127 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 06:04 PM

We were less than impressed with this restaurant. To say that our first meal at Hash was a long time coming is the understatement of the year. Hash opened three short blocks away from my house in September of 2008, and I always passed by longingly, telling myself "Someday! Someday I'll eat there." That someday didn't come until Abbe moved into a duplex six blocks away from me and we vowed to try and review all of Portland's restaurants. And the rest is history, as they say. So a few weeks ago, we ate at Hash.
Our opinion of Hash:
When all's said and done, Hash is selling style, not substance. When you eat there, the price on your bill isn't just for a modestly-sized but well made meal made from sustainable, cruelty-free, local ingredients. You pay for the privilege of sitting at a skyscraping bistro chair, you pay for art you can't understand, you pay to be able to say that you've eaten at A Restaurant Like Hash. In the end, it's all about appearances. Hash seems more concerned with selling the image of an exclusive, high-class restaurant than in making their patrons feel comfortable and well-fed. Abbe and I are happy to shell out the big bucks for a great dining experience, but eating at Hash sort of feels like paying for air. Quality food can and should be accessible and unpretentious. There is a way to serve a meal made from sustainable local food without looking down your nose at the world, and in this most important way, Hash misses the mark.

What did you order though, and what was wrong with it? You said nothing about the food itself.

#37 Flynn

Flynn
  • Secondary Admin
  • 3,679 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 07:15 PM

The food part of the review is here: http://abbeandjebbye...mokin-hash.html

Welcome ladies. You should make sure you post a direct link to your reviews if you excerpt them here.

#38 nervousxtian

nervousxtian
  • Members
  • 2,127 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 07:11 PM

Yeah, I saw that after I posted.

I hope as they eat around, they started doing a better job reviewing places. It's a cool idea, but if you're going to complain about the value of a place, at the very least post the prices of the food you ate.

But my biggest issue was with lines like:

"But after your meal, you feel a little bit like there's a little man in the back room, greedily counting the heap of dollars you forked over and laughing at your stupidity."

and

"I could paint something better than that with my butt," Abbe proclaimed, indicating a painting of a streaky, misshapen lotus flower. I breathed a sigh of relief."

and lastly

"There is a way to serve a meal made from sustainable local food without looking down your nose at the world, and in this most important way, Hash misses the mark."

Which they don't back up in the slightest bit in their review.

#39 ariel88

ariel88
  • Members
  • 1,119 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 08:49 PM

Which they don't back up in the slightest bit in their review.

I felt the exact same way. Glad to know I'm not alone!

#40 Dimsumdiva

Dimsumdiva
  • Members
  • 351 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 01:26 PM

"For Lease" sign in window when we drove by last night. Empty space.

Iona