Roux Crawfish Feed!

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#21 Angelhair

Angelhair
  • 7,660 posts
  • Interests:film, cooking, literature

Posted 08 September 2008 - 11:44 AM

I did not make a reservation, so those who are going should call and make one.

#22 Francine the Machine

Francine the Machine
  • Members
  • 437 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 12:23 PM

Wha Wha! Have to drop out as well since I'm not sure of my plans that day. If I end up going, I'll take care of my own res as my weekend is too scattered to commit...thanks.

#23 ariel88

ariel88
  • Members
  • 1,119 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 04:34 PM

Okay, I made us a res for 6 people at 11am, if that time still works for everyone. Lemme know!

head count:
ariel88 + 1
P&J + 1
tammi + 1

#24 Angelhair

Angelhair
  • 7,660 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 04:44 PM

Thanks for taking the lead ariel! Sorry we won't get to see you all.

#25 Plump_and_Juicy

Plump_and_Juicy
  • Members
  • 2,080 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 11:51 AM

We're a maybe at this point. Gotta check with Mr P & J.

#26 ariel88

ariel88
  • Members
  • 1,119 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 02:06 PM

We're a maybe at this point. Gotta check with Mr P & J.

No problem. I'll call and change the res if necessary.

#27 Plump_and_Juicy

Plump_and_Juicy
  • Members
  • 2,080 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 11:29 PM

Sorry ariel88, we can't make it. Enjoy those mudbugs for us!

#28 ariel88

ariel88
  • Members
  • 1,119 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 01:45 PM

Tammi, are you still in? 11am was never the most convenient time for me, so if I don't hear from you in the next few days, I may just disband this event and go later in the day.

#29 ariel88

ariel88
  • Members
  • 1,119 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 11:27 PM

Okay, I am officially disbanding this event and canceling the reservation. Apologies to Tammi if she checks this post between now and Sunday.

#30 Angelhair

Angelhair
  • 7,660 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 07:16 AM

We actually made it to the feed in the late afternoon. It was abso-freakin-lutely awesome.

They brought out the crawfish on huge platters, along with plenty of greens, and hush puppies and etouffe. The etoufee was absolutely wonderful. My favorite thing on the menu.

J. didn't think the crawfish were as good as we have had a My Brother's over the summer. But I really really liked them. The first batch could have been spicier, but the second was plenty spicy. The only other problem was temp: if we were given smaller platters, they would have stayed hotter. But the place was pretty crowded and you could see why laying down a big platter saves them the trip of coming back.

But the service was excellent as always. The pitcher drinks rocked my world (and my head this morning).

Some of our NO friends backed out of this because they said it was too late in the season and that the crawfish would either be small or imported from somewere else. Now I am not sure where these mud bugs came from but they were plenty huge and meaty, especially the claws. I loved 'em.

I think this should be more than an annual event at Roux. It's a fantastic bargain, and I think that they made a whole lot of extra money off of our table in drinks and extras and dessert.

There was no crawfish pie on the menu (my absolute favorite item that there serve), but as I said, the etouffee was out of this world spciy delicious!

#31 madeira

madeira
  • Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 02:48 PM

I went with a few friends too, and mudbugs were delicious. I enjoyed all of the extras but I think I got my fill on the crawdads themselves. I must sucked the guts out of at least 30 of them!

We overheard the owner talking to another table, he said the crawdads were from lake billy chinook. I ate at about 3pm and was so full all day and the next morning that I skipped dinner and breakfast!

#32 concreteoatmeal

concreteoatmeal
  • Members
  • 2,004 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 03:28 PM

I went with a few friends too, and mudbugs were delicious. I enjoyed all of the extras but I think I got my fill on the crawdads themselves. I must sucked the guts out of at least 30 of them!

We overheard the owner talking to another table, he said the crawdads were from lake billy chinook. I ate at about 3pm and was so full all day and the next morning that I skipped dinner and breakfast!

30 crawfish made you skip 2 meals? :blink:

30 crawfish isnt even close to enough to make me skip dessert! people definately vary in their eating ability!! ;)
"If you were expecting a kick in the groin, and you get a slap in the face.......thats a win where I come from"

#33 madeira

madeira
  • Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 04:52 PM

Well I had a few servings of etouffee and at least 5 beignets too!

#34 concreteoatmeal

concreteoatmeal
  • Members
  • 2,004 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 05:13 PM

i see, you pre-ate your dessert!

so does Roux have crawfish on the menu a lot or is this a rare/annual thing?
"If you were expecting a kick in the groin, and you get a slap in the face.......thats a win where I come from"

#35 Angelhair

Angelhair
  • 7,660 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 05:28 PM

so does Roux have crawfish on the menu a lot or is this a rare/annual thing?

Roux always has crawfish pie on the menu, and also the etouffee. The last time I went for HHH, the had it on the menu, but it wasn't a spicy boil.

The whole feast event happened last year, too, but this year was a whole lot better.

#36 madeira

madeira
  • Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 06:02 AM

the beignets were savory with crawfish in them! I was way too stuffed for desset ;)