Photo

Having the usual?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 Cat Lancaster

Cat Lancaster
  • 2,524 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 08:56 AM

There are quite a few restaurants where maybe the staff doesn't know my name and I don't know theirs, but they recognize me as a regular customer. I never have a 'usual' dish, so that doesn't come up.

However, I recently discovered that I do have a 'usual' and don't know if it is good or bad... ;) When I call Radio Cab from home I call from my landline, but when I'm out I call from my cell. The last couple of times I've called using my cell, they have responded by asking "are we picking you up from Teardrop or Clyde Common?" :)

Cat
"travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" ~ Mark Twain

"I'm not a picky eater, but I'm picky about what I eat." ~ Me

#22 StMaximo

StMaximo
  • Members
  • 2,702 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 08:57 AM

There are a few places where they know me by name, but there isn't typically a "usual". I think the closest thing that I have to a "usual" is the Taruzake Kikusakari at Tanuki. Other than that, I'm quite temperamental on how I order. It's all about what looks fascinating at any given point in time.

Right now, I'm fascinated by the fact that temperamental really is spelled that way. Go figure.

Etymology: It's a wonderful thing!

I had an "Old School" writing teacher in high school who would go off on a tangent once or twice a week diagramming the Latin or Germanic roots of some word on the chalkboard. It was one of the best parts of one of the best classes I've ever had.

#23 tonyajonemiller

tonyajonemiller
  • Members
  • 383 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 09:06 AM

There are quite a few restaurants where maybe the staff doesn't know my name and I don't know theirs, but they recognize me as a regular customer. I never have a 'usual' dish, so that doesn't come up.

However, I recently discovered that I do have a 'usual' and don't know if it is good or bad... ;) When I call Radio Cab from home I call from my landline, but when I'm out I call from my cell. The last couple of times I've called using my cell, they have responded by asking "are we picking you up from Teardrop or Clyde Common?" :)

Cat

;)

Hmmm. I don't really have a "usual" meal anywhere because I love to try new things. But whenever I go into Caffe Mingo, they automatically pour me a wine or two to taste (probably because they know they can count on selling me a couple of glasses). And If I'm too indecisive, they'll take the menu away and order for me. There aren't many places where I trust both the FOH and kitchen staff enough (and they know me well enough) to completely put myself in their hands, but that's one of them.

I will say it's really nice when a restaurant's staff remembers your name/face. H is of the opinion that any mid-level to high-end place should recognize you by the third time you dine there. And it's not like I need to have my ass kissed, but it does make a difference when a place does those little things that make me feel appreciated as customer.
Tonya (NSFW)
Chef Crush...Because I heart cooks...

#24 Leeper

Leeper
  • Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 07:03 PM

My usual spots are all centered around lunch and my office in un-incorporated Washington county.

Chi-AM (Murray and Cornell) - Every Monday, Cashew chicken with hot and sour soup. I swear I have tried other things but I can't remember when. Sometime a couple years ago they changed their lunch server, took a couple weeks to break the new guy in but then it was back to normal.

Japanese place in the safeway mall on Cornell - wood roll, tiger roll, soup and salad. Probably eat this twice a week for the last 5 years. They yell my name when I enter the room and yell goodbye on my way out.

You work in my 'hood!

I haven't been to Chi-am in many, many years. Maybe we'll have to try it for take-out one of these days when I don't feel like cooking.

The japanese place, is that Ichiban? I was just there last night and the sushi was fabulous. Some of the best salmon I've had in ages and the dragon roll with eel on top was to die for. I can't wait to go back!

Yes - Ichiban, we avoid it durring the early part of the week but Wed-Fri are always solid. Try the super crunch role next time.

Chi-Am - I totally understand that it is westernized chinese food, I spent far too much of my 20s in China/SE Asia and basiclly see western chinese food as a totally seperate beast. But for $4.95 the lunch deal can fill me up for hours, I can sit in peace reading one of the varrious tech mags that fill up my mail box at work and be happy. The guys at work are taking bets that when they move up Cornell they will raise the prices, it probably isn't worth $8 to me but for $5 it is a steal.

#25 ariel88

ariel88
  • Members
  • 1,119 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 10:36 PM

i'm an average looking guy who looks like a bunch of other people in this damn city (can you say white guy with a goatee and nerd glasses?). i go to three restaurants fairly regularly (tandoor, genie's, and holmans (okay, it's a bar, not a restaurant)). the only place that knows what i order (almost) every time is tandoor. that's why i love tandoor (plus the food is damn good).

I wonder if you and I have crossed paths in there and didn't know it!

we have. we've met each other at some PF event. i've seen you at tandoor a couple of times (but i've never said hi 'cause, well, i'm lame.)

Oh yeah? Now I feel silly. I'm terrible putting faces with names. :mellow:

Do come say hello next time we both end up in there. :P