Photo

Soupcycle

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,144 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 02:03 PM

I hope no chihuahuas are harmed in the making of that soup! ;o)
Never give up! Never surrender!

#22 Amanda

Amanda
  • 7,626 posts
  • Interests:Eating, cooking, kayaking, canoeing, letterboxing

Posted 23 February 2011 - 01:15 PM

At last I've gone and done it. At a recent charity auction I bid on a bike accessory package and one of the items included was a month's soupscription for Soupcycle. I've been on the fence about joining them the two years they've been in business, but winning this prize has made me take the plunge.

Today was my first delivery. I got a green salad, a container of some type of Thai soup, and a couple chunks of baguette. Nice. I had the salad for lunch today and OMG! it's wonderful. Fresh,tasty greens with shredded carrot and dried cranberries. The dressing is similar to Annie's Goddess dressing, which I love. Now I'm hooked. I've had many opportunities to sample their soup in the past, in the workplace, at community events, etc. Every soup I've tried has been really great. I have always come this close to committing, but I never did it. Now that I have I'm hooked.

Originally, I was going to just get a container of soup a week, but now I'm going to have to go for the salad and bread, as well. It's all too good to pass up. I figure if I keep this up (which I don't see why I wouldn't) it will give my lunches some structure. I will eat the salad and a chunk of bread on Wednesday (day of delivery) and then split the soup and other chunk of bread for lunches on Thursday and Friday.

Soupcycle is SO PORTLAND - even if the idea did originate in Austin. It totally goes with what we're collectively about, IMO. Love that. And checking back on earlier posts here when they first started out and knowing how they do their business from others who get their orders at work, I know they have this deal running quite well. It looks like they learned early on how important customer service is and have worked out the kinks. It's getting bigger and bigger. I think there are now 12 people in my building (possibly more from other companies) soupscribing. It took me a while, but I'm on the bandwagon now.

Best regards,

Amanda

#23 pdx city-state

pdx city-state
  • Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 05:58 PM

Maybe I need to give these guys another chance. I ordered soup from them a couple years ago and thought it was very mediocre. That said, I love the concept--even though they ripped the idea off from a guy in Austin that's been doing it for a decade.

#24 Amanda

Amanda
  • 7,626 posts
  • Interests:Eating, cooking, kayaking, canoeing, letterboxing

Posted 24 February 2011 - 11:39 AM

I don't know what the soup was like two years ago, but I'm slurping down their Thailandistan soup right now and it's way, way good. Coconut milk, chicken, mushrooms, brown rice, hints of carrot and a bit of chili kick. I'm really liking it.

I hope you find an opportunity to sample their soups somehow, someway to see if they still do nothing for you or to find out if you think they've improved. I would hold off on doing a soupscription until you're sure it's what you really want. Give them a call or contact them through their website and see if there is someplace they are going to be where you can sample them in the near future.

Soup often isn't the most exciting food on the planet, but I find this stuff warms, nurtures, and tastes good. At least so far...

Best regards,

Amanda