Looking for Advice

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 pyrofemme

pyrofemme
  • Members
  • 380 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 08:33 PM

My husband is nearing his 3rd term at OCI and needs to put together a wishlist for his externship. The externship lasts roughly 8 weeks and we've decided that it would be best for him to keep an open mind and not restrict himself to restaurants in Oregon only. In doing research on the restaurant's he's interested in, I was wondering if any of you have any experience with or reviews of the following:

Moto - Chicago, IL
Alinea - Chicago, IL
Auberge du Soliel - Rutherford, CA
Bouchon - Yountville, CA

He has a very long list of restaurants from the school and he can request others not on the list so it's been difficult narrowing it down. Feel free to make other suggestions as well.

Thanks!

Edit: Location of restaurant needs to be in US or someplace passport is not required for insurance purposes.

#2 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 29 July 2008 - 08:39 PM

I really enjoyed both Moto and Alinea. They're interesting and unique places. Alinea seems more serious, whereas the folks at Moto seem to be having more fun. The food at each is very well-executed. I'm sure a million people would love to work at either.

That said, if it were me, I wouldn't want to do an externship at either. There are like 30 people, literally, in the kitchen at Alinea. I bet Moto has 15 or more. (Their kitchen tour doesn't give you an accurate understanding of the place.) I'd want to work at some small place with an experienced, generous, and thoughtful chef who really wants and needs the help and would be putting me to work.

The one thing I'd do before I made any decisions is ask people who staged or externed at these places what their experience was like.

There are probably people who've done it around here. My opinion is conjecture. I hope someone with real experience speaks up.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's