Firehouse

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#41 Adam

Adam
  • Members
  • 441 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 10:20 AM

Wonderful pictures! I took an out-of-town friend here Sunday night and had a great meal, as usual.

When our party of three arrived, the place was filled to capacity, but we were told that a table was just finishing its dessert and would be done soon. Ten minutes later the hostess informed us that the table had paid but hadn't yet gotten up from the table. The group at this table continued to stay seated and chitchat for another--I kid you not--45 minutes. The hostess was extremely apologetic, but there really wasn't anything she could do. Eventually, a group at a different table got up and left, and we got their table. The people at the first table intended for us were still sitting around and talking by the time we were seated. The owner/manager was so embarrassed by the situation that he brought us a piping hot Margherita pizza the instant we were seated, and continued to apologize profusely for the wait. It's service and care like that that make Firehouse a dining destination well worth the short drive up MLK Blvd. The rest of the meal was fantastic: we ordered the Humboldt Fog salad, the gnocchi, the sausage-and-onion pizza, and the creme caramel for dessert. All wonderful dishes. I agree with Jill-O: these aren't fancy dishes, but they are great.

But seriously, people. If you've paid and completely finished your meal, that does not give you permission to sit and chat at your table for nearly an hour afterward. Have some consideration!

Adam Lindsley

This Is Pizza

#42 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,340 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 21 July 2010 - 01:14 PM

Split out the restaurant as living room discussion...

http://portlandfood....holding-tables/

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#43 Adam

Adam
  • Members
  • 441 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 01:48 PM

Just wanted to thank the owners for another really wonderful meal. I've been to Firehouse about 5 times now, and I've left happy every time. I really appreciate the wonderful hospitality they showed us and our out-of-town friend, and she can't stop raving about the food. We will be back soon, that's a certainty.

By the way, they still make the best Margherita in town.

Here are some shots of the food my friend took with her phone camera (excuse the blur):

Posted Image
Sausage and Onion Pizza

Posted Image
Gnocchi with Fresh Ricotta

Posted Image
Creme Caramel

Adam Lindsley

This Is Pizza

#44 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,144 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 01:49 PM

And btw, 2 important things:

1- They have one of the nicest outdoor seating areas in town - pretty, romantic, etc.

2- That creme caramel is one of the best I have ever had anywhere. All lovers of flan and creme caramel should go and have some!!
Never give up! Never surrender!

#45 philthyanimal

philthyanimal
  • Members
  • 465 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 02:51 AM

went to the firehouse tonite...i'll keep it brief but i had a bruschetta with goat cheese, chanterelles, squash and olive oil. pretty tasty stuff...the goat cheese was nice and creamy but was mild enough to allow the subtle flavors of the chanterelles to come through. squash was good, but there was a ton of ingredients so it was kinda hard to eat this cleanly. i kinda want to try to recreate this at home as it was so simple.

i had a sopressatta pizza with basil, mozz cheese, and olives, and for desert we had a pumpkin creme brulee. the creme brulee was awesome and had the thickest sugar crust i've ever had on a creme brulee. the custard was perfectly creamy and the flavor of the pumpkin and spices lingered in your mouth long after you had already swallowed. i'm not a dessert person, so i have to say i was impressed.

#46 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,144 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 07:11 AM

Everytime I go I am reminded how great this place is. The food is prepared so well and with such good ingredients and the service is terrific. Had an early reservation (you should definitely make one, it's not a big place and they accept them) and didn't realize that, even on Sundays, there is a happy hour 5-6pm. Nice $5 house wine pours, a couple bucks off on a lot of dishes: apps, salad, pizza, etc.

Everything was really good, but there was a grilled squid and beans small plate on special that was just awesome. That oven is amazing and Matthew really works it well, it gave such a nice smoky edge to the squid which was perfectly cooked.

Another great thing about this place is the desserts. Gretchen Glatte, the pastry chef (and co-owner with Matthew Busetto of Woodlawn Coffee across Dekum from Firehouse: http://www.woodlawncoffee.com/) is really talented. Last night we shared a meyer lemon pudding cake that was ethereal - like eating a lemony cloud...it was "roll your eyes up in your head" good. Not that the almond cake with amarena cherries was any slouch, mind you, but that lemon cake was one of the best desserts I have had all year...and the candied pistachio garnish was amazing on it...I could eat that stuff by the handful.

Most folks just think of it as a neighborhood place, and it definitely is, but I think it is worth going out of your way to eat there.
Never give up! Never surrender!

#47 Angelhair

Angelhair
  • 7,658 posts
  • Interests:film, cooking, literature

Posted 04 July 2011 - 09:17 AM

Another fantastic meal at Firehouse last night. They are doing a three course special right now: an appetizer, salad and entree for $25. We ordered the three-fer and a pizza and split it between the two of us and it was nearly too much to eat! Fried olives, Humbolt fog & greens salad, and Meatballs as the entree. Margherita Pizza. Coupla glasses of rose, and a beer. $54. Crazy deal.

Firehouse has one of the prettiest patios in the city and crazy good service. Combine that with delicious food at great prices and it's a wonder that we were able to walk-in on a Saturday night.

#48 chefken

chefken
  • Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 08:31 AM

We went to the Firehouse for the first time last night and had a really nice meal. I really liked the menu and the range of their offerings - lots of good options to choose from. Atmosphere really pleasant and the service was very competent and well-informed.

We had the Sausage, Onion and Fresh Mozzarella Pizza and thought it terrific. Really thin and nicely charred. The sauce was yummy and sausage was very good. Minimalist-style. I thought it was comparable to the better pies in town - I'd say similar to Nostrana's, perhaps a little better seasoning in the crust.

We split 3 small plates - White Bean Salad with Albacore and Kalamatas, Roasted Figs with Balsamic Syrup, and a Watermelon Salad with Cucumbers and Basil. Dessert was a roasted Peach with Almond Ice Cream and Toasted Almonds. All were tasty and nicely balanced. My one criticism of the place was that I think they could make better use of the wood-burning oven. The figs were cool and barely cooked, just about raw. The Peach a bit more roasted and less raw, but not really what I'd call well-roasted - they seem a little timid about color and charring (though not at all - to good effect - with the pizzas). The tuna was of the premium tinned variety, and good. But the salad would have been that much better with a hunk of fresh tuna quickly charred in the wood oven and fanned over the beans. The watermelon salad - while I enjoyed the cucumbers - might have benefited from a roasted pairing with another element, perhaps warm and playing off the chill of the watermelon.

These are things that Ned Ludd does a little better with their oven. Still, it was a really good meal overall and I will definitely recommend it and return.
signature

#49 RachelWithAnR

RachelWithAnR
  • Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 11:40 AM

Exciting news I discovered Saturday night: Firehouse is now doing porchetta on the weekends. Per the menu, they're buying a whole half hog each week to butcher/prepare the porchetta. And it's one of the best renditions I've ever had-- not too salty, nice crunch on the outer skin, and paired with big white beans and mustard greens in a light broth. Allegedly it's also served with salsa verde, but it must have been lost in the broth, as I didn't notice anything. At $18, it's a substantial plate and absolutely delicious.

Also really, really enjoyed the bruschetta with chanterelles, delicata squash and goat cheese (simply, earthy, well-balanced) and the autumn salad with radicchio, apple, delicata squash, grana padana, and saba. The fried cardoons were tasty but could have been served a bit crisper or with some sort of dipping sauce-- they were kind of one note.

My companion got the meatballs, which were, as always, hearty and rustic and easy to devour. Firehouse is really good at keeping seasoning in line and letting the natural flavors of their ingredients shine.

Also, LOVE the wine list at Firehouse-- one of the best in town to pair with their food. Really interesting varietals-- a glass of the 2009 Erbaceo - Colli della Murgia had a nice, lean body with some strong herbal notes that worked will with the pork.

As always, I was reminded that I'm lucky to have Firehouse as my neighborhood restaurant.

#50 Cbas79

Cbas79
  • Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 10:14 AM

Nice writeup in the Merc this week. This has consistently been one of my favorite restaurants in Portland. I actually prefer their pizza to Nostrana (and others in that style), and the rest of their menu preparations are always solid. I know it seems a bit out of the way for some folks, but it's definitely worth checking out if you haven't yet. And with warmer weather ahead, some of the better patio dining in town.

My link

#51 Laksa

Laksa
  • Members
  • 788 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 08:43 PM

We visited Firehouse tonight for the first time in at least two years. We've tried to get in a couple of times during the interval but the wait was always too long. They don't lack for customers, that's for sure.

It's still as great as it ever was. The pizzas (Bianco and Marguerita) and fried cauliflower were like old friends, the romaine salad was terrific and the fried potatoes with Gran Padano very comforting. Prices still reasonable, $70 for 3, with no dessert.

A gem.

#52 pwillen1

pwillen1
  • Members
  • 509 posts

Posted 19 August 2015 - 07:34 AM

Has anyone been recently? We went on Sunday and every dish was over salted. I wonder if it was just the Sunday cook or if that's normal? 

The pizza was a bit burned but I'll take the blame for that as it was one of the first of the day and the oven hadn't had a chance to reach equilibrium.

#53 Flynn

Flynn
  • Secondary Admin
  • 3,680 posts

Posted 19 August 2015 - 07:44 AM

I've been twice in the last ~3 months, and had no issues of that sort. They were weeknights in both cases, fwiw.

#54 JandJ

JandJ
  • Members
  • 113 posts
  • Interests:Great food.

Posted 19 August 2015 - 12:17 PM

We went a couple of months ago and to be honest, we had trouble figuring out what all the buzz was about.  The pizza was fine, but there are many places in town that make a superior pie IMHO.  We also had a couple of dishes that were poorly seasoned, including one that was over salted.  I guess we left with the impression that we were in no hurry to return... the meal was OK but nothing special IMHO.

#55 vj

vj
  • 2,735 posts

Posted 19 October 2016 - 03:10 PM

I just heard that Firehouse is being sold to Pope House. I know nothing else, but this makes me tremendously sad. 

#56 crepeguy

crepeguy
  • Members
  • 371 posts
  • Interests:Purveyor of skinny pancakes.

Posted 19 October 2016 - 07:33 PM

I read the heartfelt farewell letter writtten by Matthew Busetto, it was classy. It's a nice way to close a chapter. 

#57 herbs de provence

herbs de provence
  • Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 09:38 AM

I'm so bummed to hear they're selling - they'll be sorely missed

#58 vj

vj
  • 2,735 posts

Posted 21 October 2016 - 05:59 PM

I went by on the spur of the moment this evening. Maybe I had been building this up too much? I got the Sopressata pizza and it  was beyond limp in the center and burnt at the crusts. The sauce was very thin, and very watery. And salty. 

I remember the desserts being very good, so I got the pot de creme with peanut brittle. It was served with chopped peanuts on top - no sign of a brittle - and the dessert was also too salty. 

The service was overwhelmed at best, ignored me at worst. i had empty glass syndrome and had to ask a server to please get me another. Sigh. 

But the beets - fabulous. The coffee was also first class.

My server did tell me that she expected that we shouldn't see a lot of changes in the menu or front of the house. 

I am beyond bummed to have walked away so dissatisfied. 

#59 crepeguy

crepeguy
  • Members
  • 371 posts
  • Interests:Purveyor of skinny pancakes.

Posted 22 October 2016 - 02:50 PM

I went by on the spur of the moment this evening. Maybe I had been building this up too much? I got the Sopressata pizza and it  was beyond limp in the center and burnt at the crusts. The sauce was very thin, and very watery. And salty. 

I remember the desserts being very good, so I got the pot de creme with peanut brittle. It was served with chopped peanuts on top - no sign of a brittle - and the dessert was also too salty. 

The service was overwhelmed at best, ignored me at worst. i had empty glass syndrome and had to ask a server to please get me another. Sigh. 

But the beets - fabulous. The coffee was also first class.

My server did tell me that she expected that we shouldn't see a lot of changes in the menu or front of the house. 

I am beyond bummed to have walked away so dissatisfied. 

My original post had included that we ate there a year ago for our anniversary, but the experience was lackluster. I deleted that bit because I didn't want to kick a place when it's down. My impression was, a year ago, that Firehouse--though busy--was running on reputation and fumes. I hope the new owners can bring some new energy / ideas. I wouldn't be too bummed, change can be good at times.