Iced Coffee

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 StMaximo

StMaximo
  • Members
  • 2,702 posts

Posted 29 June 2008 - 12:29 PM

Too damn hot for a steaming cup of joe today. So I made a French Press Pot of extra strong coffee this morning and poured into in a quart jar full of ice to chill it down. Remembering one of my favorite iterations of cold coffee drinks; the "Fabulous Coffee Cooler" at Coffee People I added some milk and a bit of sugar to a pint glass, added some ice and filled it to the brim with some of the chilled coffee. It was pretty good, but I don't think it was as good as the cold brewed iced coffee I was making last summer.

So, do you have a preference for hot or cold brewed iced coffee? A secret recipe that you're willing to reveal? A favorite iced coffee drink? How do you get your caffeine buzz on when it's hot?

#2 SauceSupreme

SauceSupreme
  • Members
  • 991 posts

Posted 29 June 2008 - 01:56 PM

So, do you have a preference for hot or cold brewed iced coffee? A secret recipe that you're willing to reveal? A favorite iced coffee drink? How do you get your caffeine buzz on when it's hot?

In the effort to use up some beans I had before they got past their prime, I tried brewing a regular cup of french press coffee, pouring it into a pitcher and refrigerating. It didn't work out so well, and it sorely needed sugar.

I was just trying to mix it up a bit; I usually make iced barley tea.
"I'll settle for a cup of coffee, but you know what I really need." - REM

"Peel all of your layers off, I want to eat your artichoke heart." - Thom Yorke

http://lushangeles.com

#3 Jocelyn:McAuliflower

Jocelyn:McAuliflower
  • Members
  • 537 posts
  • Interests:sweet bakery goodness & quirky food fun

Posted 29 June 2008 - 07:07 PM

I swear Splendid Table used to have a recipe online on cold brewing coffee that involved just soaking whole beans in cold water over-night.
My google-fu is weak and I can't find it.

I like to use maple syrup to sweeten my iced coffee. We just make up large pots and refrigerate the leftovers from the morning brew. When we're really on the ball we make up large batches of coffee ice cubes too.

When I lived in Eugene, we would buy large bottles of toddy coffee from Allan bros. for making up iced coffee at home. I miss that option.

#4 StMaximo

StMaximo
  • Members
  • 2,702 posts

Posted 29 June 2008 - 07:39 PM

I swear Splendid Table used to have a recipe online on cold brewing coffee that involved just soaking whole beans in cold water over-night.

I like to use maple syrup to sweeten my iced coffee. We just make up large pots and refrigerate the leftovers from the morning brew. When we're really on the ball we make up large batches of coffee ice cubes too.

When I lived in Eugene, we would buy large bottles of toddy coffee from Allan bros. for making up iced coffee at home. I miss that option.

I found this website that has a Splendid Table Iced Coffee Recipe

It uses a whole pound, not whole beans. Similar to what I do when I make my cold brewed iced coffee.

I always try to hit the Beanery when I'm in Eugene or Corvallis.

#5 Guest_MostlyRunning_*

Guest_MostlyRunning_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 June 2008 - 07:59 PM

I found this website that has a Splendid Table Iced Coffee Recipe

It uses a whole pound, not whole beans. Similar to what I do when I make my cold brewed iced coffee.

I always try to hit the Beanery when I'm in Eugene or Corvallis.

The recipe you linked to is pretty close to the one I use at home. The only thing I would add is that you don't want to dilute the concentrate with water or dairy ahead of time. It changes the ph and after about a day you'll have some musty skunky flavors. In concentrate form it is good for about a week+.

#6 Plump_and_Juicy

Plump_and_Juicy
  • Members
  • 2,080 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 09:53 PM

It might be heresy, but I've made iced coffee from instant coffee or with part instant espresso. Easy to dilute in a tablespoon with some cold water, you can make it as strong or weak as you like, and it can be made one glass at a time if you want.

But it has to be served with at least whole milk. Half and half is better.

#7 Tiffin

Tiffin
  • Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 09:47 AM

The elixir of the gods, iced coffee... Hit it with some Irish cream and/or coffee liqueur to change the pace of the day!

#8 Cat Lancaster

Cat Lancaster
  • 2,524 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 06:19 PM

I drink one cup of coffee during the commute to work and then one at the office, as that's kind of my coffee max. I make my coffee with the V-Cone shaped thingy over my travel mug and then add milk and in the summer an ice cube. It doesn't make 'iced coffee' but cools it down enough that I can drink it right away on a hot day. Am I abusing my coffee? :D

Cat
"travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" ~ Mark Twain

"I'm not a picky eater, but I'm picky about what I eat." ~ Me

#9 StMaximo

StMaximo
  • Members
  • 2,702 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 07:36 PM

I drink one cup of coffee during the commute to work and then one at the office, as that's kind of my coffee max. I make my coffee with the V-Cone shaped thingy over my travel mug and then add milk and in the summer an ice cube. It doesn't make 'iced coffee' but cools it down enough that I can drink it right away on a hot day. Am I abusing my coffee? :D

Cat

Only if you use whipping cream.

#10 Angelhair

Angelhair
  • 7,660 posts
  • Interests:film, cooking, literature

Posted 11 July 2008 - 07:55 PM

Today, the coffee dudes at Starbucks brought into our office an entire tray of chocolate mint frappucinos (sp?). I had like four of the samples and I fear that addiction is near. Someone please stage an intervention!

#11 Cat Lancaster

Cat Lancaster
  • 2,524 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 07:58 PM

Only if you use whipping cream.

I save that for activities that don't involve coffee :D

Cat
"travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" ~ Mark Twain

"I'm not a picky eater, but I'm picky about what I eat." ~ Me

#12 alicia

alicia
  • Members
  • 143 posts
  • Interests:food, family, sleeping, cameras.

Posted 11 July 2008 - 08:49 PM

i don't drink caffeine (the jitters!), but if i had my way, i'd drink iced americanos all day. that said, i'm a barista (uh, yeah- i know) and i would never drink iced coffee that was hot-brewed. cold brewing keeps the coffee from going bitter, and it's always smoother than coffee that was brewed hot and then chilled. you don't have to have a fancy toddy maker (http://www.toddycafe...hp?productId=67) but it helps. most coffee shops use toddy makers for their cold press coffee, but some places just steep the ground coffee overnight in large bags. once place i worked just used a pillowcase full of grinds in a 5 gallon bucket for 24 hours. you end up with a concentrate that you can store in the fridge and cut with cold water to your desired strength and it's hella good.

#13 vj

vj
  • 2,740 posts

Posted 12 July 2008 - 06:02 AM

I got a Toddy last weekend, and I'll admit I haven't made iced coffee with it yet. But damn, the coffee I've made with it has been so smooth and wonderful it's barely like coffee -- what a pleasure!

Unfortunately, I really really like this stuff, and I've managed to go through a full pot in less than a week. Maybe I need to experiment with cheap coffee? Then again, I used to spend as much as a pound of coffee on coffee drinks when I was working downtown -- so maybe I'm even?

#14 StMaximo

StMaximo
  • Members
  • 2,702 posts

Posted 12 July 2008 - 06:58 AM

I got a Toddy last weekend, and I'll admit I haven't made iced coffee with it yet. But damn, the coffee I've made with it has been so smooth and wonderful it's barely like coffee -- what a pleasure!

Unfortunately, I really really like this stuff, and I've managed to go through a full pot in less than a week. Maybe I need to experiment with cheap coffee? Then again, I used to spend as much as a pound of coffee on coffee drinks when I was working downtown -- so maybe I'm even?

I've really liked Toddy coffee when I've had it; both hot and cold. I was eying one at a coffee shop last week.

I'm going to speak what will be taken as heresy by many members of this board; I don't like Stumptown Coffee. I think it's overpriced and overrated. We get the coffee at work from Bridgetown and pay $6.85 a pound in 5lb bags (Bridgetown Blend). They sell it retail for a buck a pound more. Coffee snobs, and I consider myself one, love it. We have a commercial Bunn pour over machine.

At home I use the Cafe Pajarano (sp?) with the green parrot on the can from Trader Joe's for my French Press and Iced Coffee. BTW I really preferred it when they sold their coffee in the vacuum bags.

I agree with the poster above that cold brewing is the best way to make Iced Coffee, but if you're adding milk I think it covers most of the bitterness from hot brewed and then iced coffee.

All that being said, I've been drinking mostly cold brewed mango iced tea lately.

#15 vj

vj
  • 2,740 posts

Posted 12 July 2008 - 03:14 PM

At home I use the Cafe Pajarano (sp?) with the green parrot on the can from Trader Joe's for my French Press and Iced Coffee. BTW I really preferred it when they sold their coffee in the vacuum bags.

I loved the parrot coffee too. Unfortunately, I can't drink the caffeinated stuff any more, and we've fallen out of the habit of going to TJ's (the new Hollywood location is too big of a hassle). But I think very fondly of it. Yum.

#16 nervousxtian

nervousxtian
  • Members
  • 2,128 posts

Posted 12 July 2008 - 05:44 PM

I always brew a pot up at night, and toss it in the fridge. I then add some simple syrup to take away the bitterness.

I agree, it tastes like shit un-sugared... but the simple syrup cures that.

I never drink hot coffee, can't stand it.

#17 alicia

alicia
  • Members
  • 143 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 01:32 PM

someone just showed this to me and it's cracking me up! if you think portlanders are coffee snobs, read this: http://www.andiamnot...een-your-knees/

#18 xristrettox

xristrettox
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 July 2008 - 08:53 PM

someone just showed this to me and it's cracking me up! if you think portlanders are coffee snobs, read this: http://www.andiamnot...een-your-knees/

Oh god, I was hoping nobody else would see that. Nick is a little trigger happy when it comes to flaming folks, and please don't think that that is in any way acceptable behavior from someone who is (somewhat) prominent in the coffee industry.

The are two reasons cafe's don't like doing espresso on the rocks to go.

1. It decidedly turns the espresso bitter. Dunno why. Just does. For a few cents more, an iced toddy will give you something 20 times tastier.

2. Now, the real reason. The one that drives most cafe owners/barista crazy. The person most often makes a ghetto latte. As in they go to the condiment bar and empty half a container of half & half into the drink saving themselves a couple bucks.

And a little about this last one. I know that the difference between the double on the rocks (2 bucks) and the double iced latte to go (3.50) doesn't seem like a good reason to charge an extra 1.50, but when you see that an owner has to keep his COG at about 20% on coffee drinks, the owner is being ripped off when someone does this.

#19 StMaximo

StMaximo
  • Members
  • 2,702 posts

Posted 16 July 2008 - 09:03 PM

The original post is hilarious, but all of the follow up is even funnier.

#20 alicia

alicia
  • Members
  • 143 posts

Posted 16 July 2008 - 09:28 PM

in my humble opinion, i love a double on the rocks. i'm aware of the uh, technicalities of why it becomes "bitter" right away, but i think that iced espresso is nice and sweet. if you give it a good shake, the ice just melts right away and you end up with a really strong americano. but i mean, i'm not going to argue with coffee nerds about things they're passionate about. i just thought the whole thing was hilarious! i don't know what was funnier, the "fuck you" tip, or the "i'm going to punch you in the dick" retaliatory reply.

and for what it's worth, in 5 years of being a barista, i've never actually seen someone make a 'ghetto latte' though i'm sure plenty of people do it. what about people who pour like half a jar of sugar into their coffee? haha