Anyone remember Second Story Bistro?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 bouncingmongoose

bouncingmongoose
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 02:51 PM

Does anyone remember this wonderful little place on Couch? I'd love to find out where the chef went. My husband and I used to go there at least once a month for brunch...their petite filet eggs benedict was superb! Anyone know why it closed? It seemed like they were doing decent business.

On a side note, this was the 4th or 5th good restaurant that my hubby and I loved that closed since we moved here 5 years ago. What gives?

#2 Amanda

Amanda
  • 7,624 posts
  • Interests:Eating, cooking, kayaking, canoeing, letterboxing

Posted 03 June 2008 - 03:04 PM

I remember it and it was pretty good. I don't know where they moved on to, though. They were great for breakfast.

Best regards,

Amanda

#3 Hutz

Hutz
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 09:34 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if the neighborhood had something to do with it. My employer moved into an office at 1st and Couch several years ago, but we eventually decided to move in 07 based in large part of the, er, "Old Town characters" that our people regularly had to deal with between the front door and the parking lot.

Second Story was a great place for lunch, and I had a couple of above average dinners there too, but I think at the end of the day they might have succumbed to the problems of Old Town. The same place at the same time on NW 21st is probably hailed as one of the best up and coming PDX restaurants I was sorry to see Second Story go away.

#4 nate

nate
  • Members
  • 412 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 10:22 AM

I used to like that place for breakfast/brunch, and before it La Patisserie (a cafe so French you could smoke in it). No idea who the chef was or where he/she is now though...

#5 tonyajonemiller

tonyajonemiller
  • Members
  • 383 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 04:09 PM

I used to like that place for breakfast/brunch, and before it La Patisserie (a cafe so French you could smoke in it). No idea who the chef was or where he/she is now though...

Oh LaPat...We used to cut class and go there (or the late, lamented Quality Pie on 23rd) and smoke non-stop cigarettes and drink coffee and feel tres chic. My sister even worked there for a time, and there was always a cute waiter or waitress to make caffeine-addled google eyes at. I liked the breakfasts at SSB too, but the place was and always will be La Patisserie in my mind. Thanks for the trip down memory lane, nate. :ninja:
Tonya (NSFW)
Chef Crush...Because I heart cooks...

#6 LadyConcierge

LadyConcierge

Food is good

• Members
  • 1,534 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 09:30 AM

Oh LaPat...

We called it La P. :ninja:

#7 tonyajonemiller

tonyajonemiller
  • Members
  • 383 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 12:03 PM

Oh LaPat...

We called it La P. :rolleyes:

Hehehe. I think everyone had their own pet name for the place. :) My friend always called it "elpee" like a record. We may actually have owned some vinyl at the time. Lol.
Tonya (NSFW)

#8 Amanda

Amanda
  • 7,624 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 12:05 PM

I miss LaPat and I miss Second Story. I thought they both had really good food.

Best regards,

Amanda

#9 chris pez

chris pez
  • Members
  • 878 posts
  • Interests:music, food, italy, history, little kids who make me laugh

Posted 05 June 2008 - 03:39 PM

haha. love the old skool portlanders! yeah, i used to hang out at lap too, also to chain smoke cigs at QP after tripping and dancing at the city nightclub. ohhhh.... let's hook up at the metro (now the Columbia outlet) or hop across the street to hamburger mary's! jesus, i even remember my first underage bar experience at T. Bombadil's (now the white eagle). oh, at let us not forget the Ritz, second level galleria. you could buy your djarum cloves at the tabacco kiosk right out side the ritz's doors and smoke 'em inside!
foodshedpsx is dead. as is god. and elvis. and george burns. and you and me too soon enough.

#10 Flynn

Flynn
  • Secondary Admin
  • 3,679 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 04:44 PM

Was the Metro the under street-level joint with a bunch of different restaurants, foodcourt style? If so, I think it's one of the first places I ate when I moved here.

#11 LadyConcierge

LadyConcierge

Food is good

• Members
  • 1,534 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 06:09 PM

Yes, that was it! The Metro on Broadway. Also hit up the City for some trippin' and dancin' in my day...

#12 Amanda

Amanda
  • 7,624 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 07:13 AM

"oh, at let us not forget the Ritz, second level galleria. you could buy your djarum cloves at the tabacco kiosk right out side the ritz's doors and smoke 'em inside!"

Yes, Coffee Ritz. I used to order Mexican hot cocoa and smoke my Jakarta's there!!! Never did care for Djarums or Kratatoa Kreteks, though. Smoking cloves was as close to punk as I ever got. The bad old days.

Best regards,

Amanda

#13 LadyConcierge

LadyConcierge

Food is good

• Members
  • 1,534 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 07:41 AM

We used to hit up Bogart's in the Galleria for sandwiches and burgers named after Bogie's co-stars, movies and characters. Cool old memoribilia on the walls...cute waiters, too. Oh- and they had RC instead of Coke/Pepsi....it always tasted so much better to me.

#14 tonyajonemiller

tonyajonemiller
  • Members
  • 383 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 07:56 AM

The Coffee Ritz, Bogart's, and the Metro...Haven't thought about those places in so long it makes me feel like a teenager again. Remember the piano bar in the Metro? Snuck many an underage beer there...

As long as we're playing this game...Does anyone remember when the old Greyhound bus station was used as an underage dance club? I can't remember what they called the space, and I think the building got torn down a long time ago. Or how about ahead-of-its-time-for-Portland Jiffy Squid (on SE Grand or maybe SE MLK, I can't remember) with the art-embellished stools and the charismatic-creepy Anton LaVey lookalike behind the counter?
Tonya (NSFW)

#15 vj

vj
  • 2,732 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 09:05 AM

I loved Jiffy Squid. And I love this little stroll down memory lane.

As derelict as the building is, I don't think the old Greyhound station has been torn down -- at least, I went by it about 2 months ago and it was its iconic self. What I wouldn't have given to be at the Cacophony party there. Sigh.

#16 chris pez

chris pez
  • Members
  • 878 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 04:55 PM

ahhh jiffy squid. on se grand. my old band even played there a couple of times up in the loft.
let's crack open some more memories! the starry night! the (original) pine street theater! the blue gallery! and if you're so underground punker oldskool.... the 13th precinct!
i could rarely afford to eat at bogart's but man, did i hit the old McD's and escape from new york both across the street from the galleria.
and blah blah x-ray cafe.

okay, and for a little ego boost... who of y'all old portlanders remember the rag Paperback Jukebox? well, hell, i was a writer from 92-94 and the managing editor from 93-94!

hell, i'm feeling like organizing a "remember portland when..." throwdown. i'll bring the old portland punk vinyl for a soundtrack.
foodshedpsx is dead. as is god. and elvis. and george burns. and you and me too soon enough.

#17 Calabrese

Calabrese

Desaparecido

• Banned
  • 5,970 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 05:05 PM

If we are doing memory lane in PDX ..... Wheel of Fortune Cafe (NW 21st) and those honking huge Dagwood sandwiches on their awesome homemade bread, Pettygrove House (on 23rd and Pettygrove) in all is incarnations (original to the place that served game from across the globe), A Thyme Garden in NE (a few blocks off Burnside), that place near SE 28th and Clinton that had the fabulous profiteroles, the Indian place that started out downtown and them moved into the Thyme Garden place and then died.

#18 vj

vj
  • 2,732 posts

Posted 07 June 2008 - 07:50 AM

Oh yes! I loved the Wheel of Fortune (later, Exekial's[sp] wheel) -- all you can eat hashbrowns at breakfast. I used to walk from 39th & SE Stark to NW 21st & Pettygrove, eat way too much, and then walk back. Oh!

I went to a rave at Starry Night, and some shows at Pine Street, but I really remember better La Luna, where it seemed I was a regular. That and the X-Ray. I won an acoustic guitar at the 72 hour fundraiser at the X-Ray.

Several friends had their wedding receptions at Blue Gallery. And I loved the downtown Escape from NW. It seemed so much more New Yorky than the one on 23rd.

I think I had a byline once at the Paperback Jukebox. Whoa!

Calabrese, you prolly remember the cafe at NE 15th & Fremont, a queer place owned by a gay man or a gay male couple. I remember going there a lot, though I don't think I ever ordered food -- just milkshakes and beer. What was the name of that? I think of that place all the time...

#19 Knobcreeky

Knobcreeky
  • Members
  • 515 posts

Posted 07 June 2008 - 08:18 AM

and if you're so underground punker oldskool.... the 13th precinct!

Is that the old Walter X place that saw the Portland debut of the Smashing Pumpkins?
"Shop smart- shop S-mart"- Ash

#20 chris pez

chris pez
  • Members
  • 878 posts

Posted 07 June 2008 - 08:27 AM

and if you're so underground punker oldskool.... the 13th precinct!

Is that the old Walter X place that saw the Portland debut of the Smashing Pumpkins?

hmmm. i don't think so. 13th precinct was a punk club on SW 13th (there's some sort of homeless outreach thing there now.. not outside in) that closed in 88 or 89. i was an all ages club for most of it's life so i used to go there 'cause i couldn't get in to satyricon (until i started working at roake's in the galleria and making coneys for bruno).