Beaker & Flask

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 gal4giants

gal4giants
  • Members
  • 802 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 07:50 PM

Congrats to Lance! Black & white in the NYT very cool . Beaker & Flask is Kevin Luwig's (was the fantastic bartender at Park Kitchen) place that is opening later in the year on Sandy. Lance will be joining him as is Ben Bettinger from Paley's...the place will kick ass or I sure do hope so. He actually has a great blog updating those of us that are waiting patiently.

http://beakerandflask.com/blog/

#2 Amanda

Amanda
  • 7,624 posts
  • Interests:Eating, cooking, kayaking, canoeing, letterboxing

Posted 30 May 2008 - 04:55 AM

Where on Sandy will this be, Kim?

Best regards,

Amanda

#3 StMaximo

StMaximo
  • Members
  • 2,543 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 05:11 AM

Congrats to Lance! Black & white in the NYT very cool . Beaker & Flask is Kevin Luwig's (was the fantastic bartender at Park Kitchen) place that is opening later in the year on Sandy. Lance will be joining him as is Ben Bettinger from Paley's...the place will kick ass or I sure do hope so. He actually has a great blog updating those of us that are waiting patiently.

http://beakerandflask.com/blog/

720 SE Sandy Blvd the old location of Krueger's Materials Handling/Office Furniture

The link is to the Beaker and Flask Blog about the new location.

I'm thinking that this is way off topic and deserves it's very own thread.

Where You At?

#4 Cat Lancaster

Cat Lancaster
  • 2,524 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 06:45 PM

I for one can not wait for this place to open! I'm also looking forward to checking out the glassware. :P

Cat
"travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" ~ Mark Twain

"I'm not a picky eater, but I'm picky about what I eat." ~ Me

#5 gal4giants

gal4giants
  • Members
  • 802 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 07:14 PM

Cat, we should try and hook up for the opening :P

I for one can not wait for this place to open! I'm also looking forward to checking out the glassware. :)

Cat

#6 Cat Lancaster

Cat Lancaster
  • 2,524 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 07:34 PM

Cat, we should try and hook up for the opening :P

I'd love that! Unfortunately the June opening has now been pushed back again - but hopefully it will be soon.

I truly am excited about this place. The group of friends/true professionals that Kevin has signed on for B&F is not only a testament for how much they like and respect him, but that they believe in the quality of what they want to produce here. It's businesses like this that I will do anything in my {buying} power to support. As love of what you're doing, caring every second about the quality you put out, and commitment to your customer's enjoyment is something I can't applaud enough.

I have been very lucky in PDX to find eateries/bars with this mindset and they make me truly a happy customer.

Cat
"travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" ~ Mark Twain

"I'm not a picky eater, but I'm picky about what I eat." ~ Me

#7 Joy

Joy
  • Members
  • 176 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 11:57 AM

Cat, we should try and hook up for the opening :pinch:

I'd love that! Unfortunately the June opening has now been pushed back again - but hopefully it will be soon.

I truly am excited about this place. The group of friends/true professionals that Kevin has signed on for B&F is not only a testament for how much they like and respect him, but that they believe in the quality of what they want to produce here. It's businesses like this that I will do anything in my {buying} power to support. As love of what you're doing, caring every second about the quality you put out, and commitment to your customer's enjoyment is something I can't applaud enough.

I have been very lucky in PDX to find eateries/bars with this mindset and they make me truly a happy customer.

Cat

Amen to that Cat.

And I am super happy to have an excellent eastside bar to go to. As much as I love the Teardrop, I do not love looking for parking up there. We will definitely be going to the opening too.

#8 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,057 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 09 April 2009 - 08:14 AM

http://www.portlandm...ent?oid=1307387

Back at the experimental cocktail hour, Bettinger, Paquin, and Davey have returned from the store with copious amounts of meat for dinner. Bettinger loves meat, especially cured meat. He plans on offering house-cured charcuterie on Beaker and Flask's "Euro-Portland" menu, which will include small plates and entrées with ingredients like rabbit, quail, and pig hearts. Tonight, he's grilling.

Ludwig brought on Bettinger in hopes of combining the best in Portland food with the best of Portland's bar scene. It's likely he was inspired by working with Scott Dolich at the highly regarded Park Kitchen. Dolich hired Ludwig to manage his front of house when he opened the Northwest Portland restaurant in 2003 in the midst of the post-9/11 recession.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole & Kenny & Zuke's

#9 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,057 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 08:18 PM

Opened tonight. Sent several people there and I saw a lot of tweets about it, too, so I'm sure we'll hear about it one way or another:

Beaker & Flask
720 SE Sandy Blvd
Portland, OR 97205
The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

#10 Jake

Jake
  • Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 10:35 PM

Opened tonight. Sent several people there and I saw a lot of tweets about it, too, so I'm sure we'll hear about it one way or another:

Beaker & Flask
720 SE Sandy Blvd
Portland, OR 97205

It's a gorgeous space-- curved wall of windows facing downtown-- the food is incredible, and the drinks are what we've all hoped they'd be: creative and well executed. The website's not updated yet, but here's a draft of the cocktail menu:

http://tinyurl.com/nos4uh

#11 StMaximo

StMaximo
  • Members
  • 2,543 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 07:25 PM

Stopped in for a happy hour cocktail tonight with some friends.

The drinks were pretty good

Ti’ Punch riff: Blended Scotch, Amaro/Vermouth, lemon bitters

Dean’s Madness: Tequila, Blueberry (seasonal), Tonic, Lime or, substitute spirit: Gin. White Rum, Rye Whiskey, or Aquavit

Another one with Grapefruit/Wormwood Soda and I don't remember what. It might have been my favorite

The Dean's madness was ordered with gin instead of tequilla - we all thought it might of been better with the tequilla.

I really liked the lemon bitters in the Ti' Punch Riff.

One member of the party ordered the smoked trout deviled eggs. It had a strong hint of orange zest and it seemed a bit bitter and overwhelmed the smoked trout.

Service was a bit cool in that hipster Portland way that annoys me.

I really liked the space.

I'm scheduled to go back next week for a second go around. I'm not willing to put in the same category as Teardrop, Laurelhurst Market Restaurant or Teardrop at this point, but it seems like the pieces are there.

Went to Laurelhurst Market for Dinner afterwards and it was damn near perfect, so my recollection of Beaker and Flask my suffer by comparision.

#12 Calabrese

Calabrese

Desaparecido

• Banned
  • 5,970 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 08:45 PM

Sad to hear. I still want to check this place out.

#13 LionRock

LionRock
  • Members
  • 382 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 11:04 PM

Sad to hear. I still want to check this place out.

I was at B&F few days ago and I thought the service was pretty good. I was sitting at the bar, though. I've also personally never really bought into the whole "hipster Portland bad service" thing. Most places I eat at regularly here have really good service. Maybe I just don't notice the whole hipster thing?

#14 nagrom

nagrom
  • Members
  • 168 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 12:47 PM

I went a week or so ago and also sat at the bar. Had great service. Maybe it's a bit different if you're at a table? I also don't buy the hipster service complaint. I was in Chicago a couple weeks back with not a hipster in sight and I had terrible service all over town. Couldn't blame that on anything but bad service...

#15 Calabrese

Calabrese

Desaparecido

• Banned
  • 5,970 posts

Posted 25 July 2009 - 03:15 PM

http://www.oregonliv..._uncorks_p.html Melander

One day over lunch, Kevin Ludwig -- who earned a stellar rep at Park Kitchen for surprising cocktails made with ingredients more typical to the kitchen than the bar -- sketched out a vision for a nightspot that would give food and drinks equal billing.

He described a blunt-nosed triangular space in the old Krueger's Supply building at the sloping intersection of Southeast Sandy, Washington and Seventh streets, and spoke of the sweeping view of downtown. He even had a name for it: Beaker & Flask, after Charles Baker's influential 1946 volume of cocktail lit: "The Gentleman's Companion: Around the World with Jigger, Beaker and Flask." He hoped it would open in four months.

That was in February 2008.
Restaurants rarely open on time. But Ludwig's odyssey proved especially protracted. His landlord had difficulty getting the plans approved by the city. A cracked foundation needed repair. Construction began last September, at which point Ludwig projected a late fall/early winter opening. No dice. Clearing a liquor license took even longer than usual due to state budget cuts. B&F seemed ready to roll in April but permitting dragged on. Meanwhile, Ludwig fielded inquires about the soundness of the venture.

Speculation was snuffed three weeks ago when Beaker & Flask finally opened. If first impressions are any guide, the result justifies the wait.

The dinner and drinks menus seduce with strangeness, listing unimagined combinations that nonetheless sound delicious. Buttery green beans with pickled baby octopus and nuggets of tasso ham ($8)? Beautiful. Fennel braised in Lillet alongside well-seared scallops with a big hit of tarragon ($18)? I'm sold -- and eager to sample more from chef Benjamin Bettinger, the former chef de cuisine at Paley's Place who recently collaborated with Ludwig (and much of B&F's staff) at Clyde Common.

If you recognize one of the cocktails, you're a more advanced mixology student than I. But the unfamiliarity of, say, the Chimney Sweep -- Scotch, Ramazzotti (a bitter herb liqueur), Punt e Mes (an Italian vermouth) and licoricey Greek ouzo -- makes its discovery that much more exhilarating. Deceptively pretty in its cordial glass, the rose-colored Sweep is muscular, boozy and two shades medicinal. Limit yourself to one.

The $5 lunch is mostly an artifact from another era, tricky to come by even at taquerias and hot dog stands. Not so at Pastini Pastaria, the successful homegrown chain specializing in mainstream Italian favorites. This month, the fast-casual outfit introduced a bargain lunch sheet with dishes such as a meatball sandwich with soup or salad for $5 and baked ziti with Italian sausage or a large Caesar salad with chicken for $6. The offer is good Monday-Friday, though weirdly isn't offered at Pastini's downtown location at Southwest Ninth and Taylor. Learn more at www.pastini.net

#16 nervousxtian

nervousxtian
  • Members
  • 1,908 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 11:21 AM

Was there Saturday night, had some solid drinks, service was great at the bar.

#17 ksnelson

ksnelson
  • Members
  • 7 posts
  • Interests:Good food<br />scuba diving<br />reading<br />crossword puzzles<br />

Posted 29 November 2009 - 05:55 PM

Ate and drank there the week of November 16th. It was GREAT! The best couple of bourbon based mixed drinks I have ever had. Ordered the rabbit with shell beans and it was way beyond what I had hoped for. Service was nice, but slow. Just needed to be patient and entertain myself and others that joined me with various tidbits on the IPhone.

#18 Calabrese

Calabrese

Desaparecido

• Banned
  • 5,970 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 03:41 PM

http://www.oregonliv...aker_and_f.html Porter

Summing up:

Grade: B+

Cuisine and scene: A snazzy bar scene with a highly evolved kitchen featuring American, French, Italian and Spanish bistro dishes, beautifully presented

Recommended: Grilled pork cheeks, cabbage roll, grilled beef shoulder, ricotta gnudi, warm chocolate brownie

Vegetarian friendly? A salad, cabbage roll and a pasta: that's all, folks

Sound level: The closer you get to the bar, the louder it gets.

Beverages: An inventive cocktail list with invented titles; reasonably priced wine list, mostly French and Italian

Price range: Appetizers $6-$10, entrees $15-$22, desserts $6-$10

Extras: Reservations accepted; credit cards; street parking; no disabled access

#19 JimProuty

JimProuty
  • Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 25 April 2010 - 06:56 AM

Went last night and I can strongly recommend both the drinks (especially "New Vieux: Rye, Apricot, Benedictine, Bitters") and the dessert: Beignets and creme brulee for only $6!

#20 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,057 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 02:02 PM

http://pdx.eater.com...tapas-party.php

Esquire magazine's annual list of the Best Bars in America features just one PDX watering hole this year, and Beaker & Flask gets a nod as one of the country's top four bars "You Take a Woman To." Tom Colligan praises the "astounding" plates of mussels with sauce gribiche: "Nobody cares what this means, and after you're three deep into the exquisite cocktails here, trust us, you won't, either."