Photo

Hall Street Bar and Grill

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Kristi

Kristi
  • 2,043 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 11:55 AM

A few weeks ago Mr. Kristi and I decided to go to Hall Street for dinner after having been there for Easter brunch. We had a discount for one free entree. We arrived about 6:30pm and the place was packed but we found a seat in the bar right away. We started with an order of coconut prawns and I had a margarita. Both were good, not amazing but good.

Next we shared a caesar salad. It was a well-balanced with nice parmesan shavings on top and very tasty croutons. We both enjoyed it a lot. Next we both ordered the prime rib. It came with horseradish mashed potatoes and asparagus. The mashed potatoes were surpising because I didn't remember the menu mentioning the horseradish, but they seemed to work. I also love that they serve their prime rib with fresh grated horseradish. The prime rib was excellent and seasoned well and the asparagus was done perfectly. A glass of red wine was the perfect complement.

We were stuffed silly, but we had to finish our meal with the apple bread pudding. I have never been a big fan of their desserts but this was fantastic. Moist and flavorful and the apples added a bit of tartness.

Even with our free entree we spent well over $100 but this meal was worth it, and I'm shocked to be writing that. I think we ordered well, but I'd be curious to try some other things on the menu. While I didn't think we'll be frequent diners at Hall Street, we will be back.

#2 concreteoatmeal

concreteoatmeal
  • Members
  • 2,004 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 02:11 PM

FWIW, I have never had a bad meal at HSG....only issue i have ever had was/is their bar/HH menu. Its kinda lame. HSG is a shock to find in this area!
and spending that much is easy these days anywhere when youre ordering apps, cocktails, 2 high end entrees, wine, and dessert.....sounds like a decent deal!?
Kristi, next time you go try going on a mon.(half price bottles!!!) and if the half a chicken is on the menu try it! probably the best chicken dish i have had outside of K&Z's fried chicken!!
"If you were expecting a kick in the groin, and you get a slap in the face.......thats a win where I come from"

#3 Kristi

Kristi
  • 2,043 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 02:40 PM

I will say that we haven't been there for dinner in many, many years. We used to be regulars and then it seemed like quality slipped. I thought our dinner was a decent deal, I was just a bit surprised by the total cost considering one of our entrees was free. There are many other places I'd rather spend that kind of money at but Hall Street worked that night. Is the chicken you're talking about the crispy half chicken, I think it used to be called Scott's chicken? I loved that dish!

#4 concreteoatmeal

concreteoatmeal
  • Members
  • 2,004 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 03:43 PM

yes....something about a brick and all that!? it is so good!......i agree that 100$ dinner isnt anything to sneeze at and that i would rather spend it at numerous other locales. That being said, sometimes i just cant get the gumption to tavel more than 10 min. but if you order wisely you can easily keep your tab under 50$ there!......
"If you were expecting a kick in the groin, and you get a slap in the face.......thats a win where I come from"

#5 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 08 April 2010 - 12:46 AM

Posted Image

Stopped in at Hall Street Grill the other night. Figured it was my best hope for a truly quality burger west of Portland.

Posted Image

Just one choice on the menu, a "certified angus beef burger" with "roy's awesome sauce, tillamook cheddar and microbrew fries". Don't ask me what's up with that pickle and olive stabbed into the burger. The steak fries, lightly coated with a heavily seasoned breading, were really addictive.

Posted Image

Burger came on a plain bun with shredded lettuce, red onion, mediocre tomato, melted cheddar, and fry sauce.

Posted Image

Patty was cooked nicely, more medium than medium rare, with sufficient char. Most of the toppings were standard. The sweet and tangy sauce coated the shredded lettuce and dripped out the sides. The cheese was totally lost in the other flavors. I'm guessing it was just standard Tillamook cheddar, not an aged variety. From the pictures, I'd say it's too lightly applied, too. Bun was kind of dry, but held up to the saucy burger.

Ultimately it was just okay, about what I'd expect from places like Beaches, Jake's, or McMenamins. Better than fast food burgers, but closer in price to Toro Bravo, Cafe Castagna, et al.

Hall Street Grill
3775 SW Hall Blvd
Beaverton, OR 97005
http://www.hallstreetgrill.com

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#6 nwexperience

nwexperience
  • Members
  • 29 posts
  • Interests:books, hiking, food, college football, writing

Posted 08 April 2010 - 06:14 PM

Hall Street's burger used to be made from Snake River Farms' Kobe-style beef, but I noticed the last time I was in it was what Nick had - no more Kobe-styled beef. That's sad because that was really good.
My NW Experience Blog - Food, beer, cats, football - all the fun stuff. And I'm on Twitter.

#7 RM

RM
  • Members
  • 589 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 05:22 PM

Hall Street Grill closed yesterday.

http://koin.com/2017...loses-suddenly/