St. Germain

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#21 SauceSupreme

SauceSupreme
  • Members
  • 991 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 11:12 AM

As an aside, those of you who are fans of elderflower might also like the wildflower bitters that Kelly at Ten-01 has made. In fact, he has a cocktail that combines both the wildflower bitters as well as St. Germain.
"I'll settle for a cup of coffee, but you know what I really need." - REM

"Peel all of your layers off, I want to eat your artichoke heart." - Thom Yorke

http://lushangeles.com

#22 John DePaula

John DePaula
  • Members
  • 1,463 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted 19 May 2008 - 12:09 PM

As an aside, those of you who are fans of elderflower might also like the wildflower bitters that Kelly at Ten-01 has made. In fact, he has a cocktail that combines both the wildflower bitters as well as St. Germain.

Mmmm... sounds good.
--------------------
You cannot legislate compassion into your fellow man (or woman, as the case may be), but we should at least attempt to create a society in which each individual has the opportunity to realize his or her potential. If we meet our citizens' needs for Health Care and Education, everything else will take care of itself. --Me

#23 truth

truth
  • Members
  • 679 posts
  • Interests:scientist, artist, philanthropist, industrialist, bicyclist

Posted 15 June 2008 - 05:30 PM

I just picked up my first bottle of St. Germain and am loving it. It's making me want to make all sorts of cocktails and making me realize I have a bit to learn. I have tried two (fairly similar) cocktails that were very delicious and were well liked. They are sort of like the Vieux Mot here but I don't like gin very much so I paired it with other tasties. Whatsup with everyone's love affair with Gin? I don't get it.

To help the fruitiness along in the st. germain, I paired it with some clear creek pear brandy:

*jigger plus of st. germain
*jigger of clear creek pear brandy
*less than a jigger of fresh squeezed lime juice

shake it over ice and serve martini style. This is very fruity... the pear and the st. germain and the lime combine to make the drink look and taste a lot like lychee juice.

To let the st. germain stand alone a bit, and to enhance its 'frenchiness', I swapped in some Leblon cachaša for the brandy. How is cachaša more french than pear brandy you might ask? Well, Leblon is aged in Cognac Casks in france, after being made in brazil, so that gives it a few frenchy points. The Leblon is very clean and sweet, and really helped showcase the Saint. No need for simple syrup.

*jigger plus of st. germain
*jigger of Leblon cachaša
*less than a jigger of fresh squeezed lime juice

again, shake and martini style serving. Yum! I'm really digging the germain. I want to go funky with it and mix it with some bourbon and grapefruit bitters, but I don't have the bitters on hand just now. I also wonder how it would go with some fresh herbs.
(modern signature COMING SOON)

#24 StMaximo

StMaximo
  • Members
  • 2,702 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 05:40 PM

I just spotted St. Germaine at the Rose City Liquor Store.

$39.95 per 750ml

I've read about the stuff but I hadn't seen is for sale locally.

Good write ups on Slashfood and Dowd's Spirit Notebook

#25 truth

truth
  • Members
  • 679 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 07:14 PM

$39.95 per 750ml

Thread already here: http://portlandfood....?showtopic=7096

#26 StMaximo

StMaximo
  • Members
  • 2,702 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 07:38 PM

$39.95 per 750ml

Thread already here: http://portlandfood....?showtopic=7096

Aaack..missed it by searching using the wrong spelling.

Good stuff!

#27 Angelhair

Angelhair
  • 7,660 posts
  • Interests:film, cooking, literature

Posted 30 October 2008 - 08:56 PM

merged

#28 StMaximo

StMaximo
  • Members
  • 2,702 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 08:32 AM

merged

Thanks!

#29 Angelhair

Angelhair
  • 7,660 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 08:54 AM

St. Germain is such a spring thing. I see it moved to the back of my liquor cabinet and all of the browns come forward.

#30 concreteoatmeal

concreteoatmeal
  • Members
  • 2,004 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 06:18 PM

St. Germain is such a spring thing. I see it moved to the back of my liquor cabinet and all of the browns come forward.

Huh, I find myself reaching for all things summery in the dead of winter to keep me from swinging from a rafter by new years!? ;)

of course, thats after a month or two of coffee drinks/whiskey on the rocks/dark beer, etc.....
"If you were expecting a kick in the groin, and you get a slap in the face.......thats a win where I come from"

#31 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,144 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 07:01 AM

I don't like gin very much so I paired it with other tasties. Whatsup with everyone's love affair with Gin? I don't get it.

Amen and hallelujah...I agree! In fact, I'll drink to that (but seeing as it is only 8am, it will have to be with Stash Double Bergamot Earl Grey Tea ;o)
Never give up! Never surrender!

#32 Angelhair

Angelhair
  • 7,660 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 09:56 AM

I don't like gin very much so I paired it with other tasties. Whatsup with everyone's love affair with Gin? I don't get it.

Amen and hallelujah...I agree! In fact, I'll drink to that (but seeing as it is only 8am, it will have to be with Stash Double Bergamot Earl Grey Tea ;o)

I think that it's just the next step for drinkers.

Using beer as an analogy: craft beer drinkers don't start out drinking imperial IPAs. They start drinking those after their palate has become bored.

I'm not saying that people who drink gin are big drinkers, I just think gin has a much more pronounced flavor than, say, vodka. If you have been drinking vodka for years and then you taste gin it can be a flavor explosion. Dutch gins are what I like to call gateway gins. They have a hell of a lot going on in them, but are herbacious and accessible.

You are always game though, Jill-O. You always try the gin drinks I make even though you know you won't like them. Nice open-mindedness!

#33 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,144 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 10:21 AM

Part of the thing is I don't really care for the taste of juniper berries.

Though I do remember that way back in college after the 3rd one, the Tanqueray and tonics didn't seem so bad... ;o)
Never give up! Never surrender!

#34 John DePaula

John DePaula
  • Members
  • 1,463 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted 01 November 2008 - 11:27 AM

I love gin, esp. a nice G&T, but find that some are too, I dunno, too cloying? e.g. Bombay.
--------------------
You cannot legislate compassion into your fellow man (or woman, as the case may be), but we should at least attempt to create a society in which each individual has the opportunity to realize his or her potential. If we meet our citizens' needs for Health Care and Education, everything else will take care of itself. --Me

#35 truth

truth
  • Members
  • 679 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 03:25 PM

I love gin, esp. a nice G&T, but find that some are too, I dunno, too cloying? e.g. Bombay.

Yes, I can deal with G&T etc, but gin is often very cloying to me. Also, I haven't had a lot of 'fancy' gin, mostly crappy stuff. On the other hand, I have spent a lot of dough messing around with vodkas, brandies, bourbons, and other brown liquors, so I have come to appreciate them more.

#36 zak@portlandbeer.org

zak@portlandbeer.org
  • Members
  • 309 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 02:01 PM

....bumping this one back up.....

I bought some St Germain the other day for the backbar. Testing it out in a few drinks.

When I let the waitstaff smell/taste, they keep bringing up hops as an aroma. I agree. I get the same floral hop aroma that I get from certain IPAs.

Weird?

#37 Angelhair

Angelhair
  • 7,660 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 02:51 PM

....bumping this one back up.....

I bought some St Germain the other day for the backbar. Testing it out in a few drinks.

When I let the waitstaff smell/taste, they keep bringing up hops as an aroma. I agree. I get the same floral hop aroma that I get from certain IPAs.

Weird?

I think the nose is more floral and less citrus than hops. Hops to me often smell like pot (you know, in a good way), and the scent of St. Germain to me is much more fragrant than herbacious.

No doubt about, though, the nose is part of that spirit.

#38 Angelhair

Angelhair
  • 7,660 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 03:06 PM

Curious about St. Germain, but unwilling to pony up $40 to try it? They are now manufacturing mini bottles (like 50 ml). I spotted them for sale at the downtown liquor store near the library. $4.95 and it comes in a mini version of the iconic bottle.

In honor of Bastille Day, I will now make St. Germain French 75s. It is happy hour, right?

Two oz. Gin (I am using Aviation)
1/2 oz. simple syrup (or 1 tsp. superfine sugar) (here's where I am subbing St. Germain)
1 oz. lemon juice
Brut Champagne or other dry sparkling wine

Shake up the gin, St. G and the lemon juice and pour into a flute. Top w/champers.

#39 JoeDixon

JoeDixon
  • Members
  • 226 posts

Posted 25 July 2009 - 10:57 AM

A couple drinks featuring St. Germain:

This one's only available in Chicago (unless you're willing to mail order Malort)

The Hard Sell:
Equal parts Beefeater, Malort, St. Germain and lemon juice shaken and served up in a martini glass. Tastes like fresh boozy grapefruit juice

A coworker and I came up with this one last night, as one of the cooks made some anise simple syrup and were trying to figure out what to do with it.

The Col. Dixon

2oz Tanqueray
Half oz. St. Germain
Half oz. Lemon Juice
Half oz. Anise simple
splash cucumber water

Shaken and served up in a martini glass with a lemon twist.

#40 Mac_and_cheese

Mac_and_cheese
  • Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 11:45 AM

I thought I saw a margarita recipe using this in Imbibe or Mix and so I bought the St. Germain. Now I can't find the recipe. Did anyone else see it?