• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 unclepauly

unclepauly
  • Members
  • 101 posts

Posted 21 January 2006 - 10:43 AM

on n. russel st...

what are your thoughts on this place? having just moved to portland 2 months ago, i'm really enjoying myself tasting all the local beers. so far, two of widmer's are my favorites, snowplow and drop top amber...

i'm dying to check out the brewery and brought myself to jog there the other day from around 7th and broadway...not too far at all...didn't manage to get myself a beer there yet, though, as it was an early saturday morning...actually about this time two weeks ago...

please tell me your thoughts on this place as i'm dying to check it out...is it all about the brew here, and skip the food, or is it pretty decent? looked like standard pub fare, some sausages, burgers, etc...

#2 Angelhair

Angelhair
  • 7,660 posts
  • Interests:film, cooking, literature

Posted 21 January 2006 - 11:18 AM

The food is okay. Better than your average pub food, with a German slant. They have cheap burgers and pints on Sunday afternoons, as I recall.

They have one of the better brewery tours in the city as well (on Friday and Saturday afternoons). Interesting and with a generous, and free, sampling afterwards. Check their website for times.

Another bonus, it's on the max line.

#3 vj

vj
  • 2,747 posts

Posted 22 January 2006 - 07:42 AM

The best thing about Widmer is that they have so many taps. There are a bunch of things on tap that you'll be hard pressed to find elsewhere. These are all Widmer small-batch stuff, and they can be excellent. Also, they always have the current Collaborator on tap.

I have to defer to Angelhair on the food. It's very Germanic with a capital G., not bad for pub food, but nothing to go out of your way for.

#4 Angelhair

Angelhair
  • 7,660 posts

Posted 22 January 2006 - 08:51 AM

Since you are new to town, you may not know what a Collaborator beer is:

Widmer has a realtionship with the Oregon Brew Crew (a group of local home brewers). Members come up with recipies, and each year or so a new beer is brewed. That beer is usually available only on tap at Widmer's pub, and the brewery donates a portion of the profits to the fermenting science program at OSU.

A few of the collaborator beers have won medals at the Great American Beer Festival. And one has gone on to be bottled (Snow Plow, I think).

The next collaborator beer is called Big C Hoppy American Stout, but it won't be on tap at Widmer for a couple of weeks.

If you want tips on beweries and pubs... PM either myself or VJ. Or is it time for a winter pub crawl?

#5 unclepauly

unclepauly
  • Members
  • 101 posts

Posted 22 January 2006 - 01:30 PM

that sounds incredible....i love me a nice stout more than anything...just had BJ's oatmeal stout last night..very good, highly recommended..

i'd love to do the pub crawl and cant wait to try these collaboraters....

thanks for the feedback..

#6 aspicLove

aspicLove
  • Members
  • 102 posts
  • Interests:What's tasty

Posted 24 January 2006 - 03:05 PM

I believe only one collaborator a year gets tapped. The Horse Brass also gets a coupla kegs, and possibly the concordia ale house. Winter beer crawl sounds dope.

#7 ChrisUpstateNY

ChrisUpstateNY
  • Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 25 January 2006 - 01:00 PM

Unclepauly,

Although I am not a local, PDX definitely has some great brewhouses/pub to try, all have decent but not fantastic food, some which I really enjoyed on my trips are;

Laurelwood - NW 23rd or so
The New Old Lompoc - also in the NW 20's
Alameda Brewhouse - NE Fremont - my vote for best beers

If you are downtown on SW Broadway and Ankemy is the Tugboat, great beers, and a true whole in the wall. Friendly people.

Rogue is on NW 14th or so, great beers also.

If you just want to have a choice of many beers, Henry's on 12th (NW 12th and Burnside) has over 100 beers on tap.

Enjoy and I hope that helps
Chris

#8 Angelhair

Angelhair
  • 7,660 posts

Posted 25 January 2006 - 07:02 PM

While the folk at Tugboat are quite friendly and the atmosphere is charming...I don't like their beer. Thankfully, they always have one or two other interesting taps.

#9 aspicLove

aspicLove
  • Members
  • 102 posts
  • Interests:What's tasty

Posted 25 January 2006 - 11:20 PM

I'm all for great food at a brew pub, but it's when a brew pub starts becoming too much of a "restauranty" sort of place and less of a drinking establishment that I get annoyed. The Bridgeport Ale House on Hawthorne is an example. I mean, the food's pretty nice, but it's not a place I'd want to hang out at with my friends.
The opposite end of the spectrum is Roots. They have phenomenal beer, all organic, but the food could really use some help (mainly because they don't have a kitchen to speak of). If Concordia stepped up the food (eg serve Canon's Ribs) they'd have a superiour drinking hole.
Ultimately, if the beer's good enough, the food just becomes a means of absorbing the beer :oops:

#10 jmatt

jmatt
  • Members
  • 430 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 03:20 AM

While the folk at Tugboat are quite friendly and the atmosphere is charming...I don't like their beer.  Thankfully, they always have one or two other interesting taps.

I second you on that one--I love the atmosphere at Tugboat, but their beers are really inconsistent, sometimes great, at others, nearly undrinkable.

IMO, best brewpub beers are at Amnesia, Roots, or Laurelwood--but Laurelwood has a very Chuck E. Cheese/TGIF atmosphere..

#11 unclepauly

unclepauly
  • Members
  • 101 posts

Posted 18 February 2006 - 07:56 PM

didnt manage to get the food here, but the tour was awesome and the tasters they give you were sized really nicely (the tour guide left 2 1/2 full pitchers on our table!!!) as well as very tasty!

love the snow plow aka milk stout...thus far, my fav. beer in portland...they even gave us some nice extra dark hershey kisses to eat with it...oh and wait, free pint glasses and bottle openers...and about 6 tastes...and the tour...all for free. loved it. bounced the eagle mcmenamins place across the street though for grub as we were starving by that point and the wait was too long for a table....i'll def. be back there though for the grub shortly enough,....

#12 vj

vj
  • 2,747 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 10:53 AM

Colloborator is on tap at Widmer, Rose and Raindrop, and ArtBar (and sometimes HorseBrass).

If you're wanting to try regional brews, you might want to check out a couple places. Henry's Tavern downtown has an insane amount of taps (100), and if you sit at the bar, the barkeeps are really knowledgeable and helpful. Rose and Raindrop has a lot of taps as well. Horse Brass has fifty-some odd taps, but is supersmokey. Concordia Ale House has about 20 taps, constantly changing, and decent food as well. Everyone at Concordia is really knowledgeable and want you to find beer you'll love.