• Please log in to reply
233 replies to this topic

#21 Sabra

Sabra
  • Members
  • 401 posts
  • Interests:Food, wine, tennis, fun

Posted 26 April 2006 - 09:46 AM

These look interesting, but not cheap . . . and July is a ways away. Glenn, do the dinners get filled up fast?
You planning on going? Anyone else thinking about it?

Sabra

#22 Amanda

Amanda
  • 7,626 posts
  • Interests:Eating, cooking, kayaking, canoeing, letterboxing

Posted 26 April 2006 - 10:26 AM

Hey Sabra!

Check under the Charity Events for more conversation on Plate & Pitchfork. There seems to be some interest and discussion happening there more than here.

Best regards,

Amanda

#23 Sabra

Sabra
  • Members
  • 401 posts

Posted 26 April 2006 - 10:41 AM

Hey Sabra!

Check under the Charity Events for more conversation on Plate & Pitchfork. There seems to be some interest and discussion happening there more than here.

Best regards,

Amanda

Thanks, will do!

#24 Sabra

Sabra
  • Members
  • 401 posts

Posted 26 April 2006 - 10:54 AM

I get torn between paying and sitting down and enjoying . . . and getting together with a bunch and volunteering at the same event . . . which they do encourage -- and they also say spend the night. I think that might be fun and also to experience one of the farms more too. ;) mmm debatable ;)

P.S. And Nick, I obviously like the emoticons :P

#25 Angelhair

Angelhair
  • 7,660 posts
  • Interests:film, cooking, literature

Posted 26 April 2006 - 10:57 AM

Since Mr. Hair is not a big wine drinker, this is a bit pricey for us. We'll sit this one out.

#26 foodjunkie

foodjunkie
  • Members
  • 340 posts
  • Interests:Dining, food safaris, hiking, fishing, bird hunting, gardening, sustainable agriculture, wild mushrooms, wine, single malt, cigars

Posted 26 April 2006 - 01:01 PM

Sabra,

The dinners do fill up fast. Most will likely be sold out by the end of the month or soon thereafter. Tab & I will be at the Aug. 6th event. Tab isn't drinking due to the baby, but I'll manage to help out with her share... ;)

We went for the first time last year and had a really great time. These are truly unique dining experiences. I'm really looking forward to seeing what John & Scott come up with for a menu. ;)

Let me know if you end up going to the one we're signed up for.

-G
“A complete lack of caution is perhaps one of the true signs of a real gourmet: he has no need for it, being filled as he is with a God-given and intelligently self-cultivated sense of gastronomical freedom.”

M.F.K. Fisher

#27 Sabra

Sabra
  • Members
  • 401 posts

Posted 26 April 2006 - 02:29 PM

Sabra,

The dinners do fill up fast. Most will likely be sold out by the end of the month or soon thereafter. Tab & I will be at the Aug. 6th event. Tab isn't drinking due to the baby, but I'll manage to help out with her share... :rolleyes:

We went for the first time last year and had a really great time. These are truly unique dining experiences. I'm really looking forward to seeing what John & Scott come up with for a menu. :)

Let me know if you end up going to the one we're signed up for.

-G

I'll let you know. I posted more under the Charity event forum . . . I might volunteer . . . I'm not sure!

Sabra

#28 Apple

Apple
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 01 May 2006 - 10:48 AM

Sabra and Portland Food Folk... we'd love to have you volunteer at a P&P dinner however spending the night on the farm is not an option. Everyone and everything must be off the farm at the end of the night which is usually no later than 11pm.

#29 Sabra

Sabra
  • Members
  • 401 posts

Posted 01 May 2006 - 11:15 AM

OK, I guess I misunderstood!

#30 Jamesongrrl

Jamesongrrl
  • Members
  • 1,137 posts
  • Interests:Tied for first: Travel & Food & Motorcycles (particularly my BMW 650 GS)

Posted 05 May 2006 - 08:53 AM

As of May 3rd all the events were sold out.
They are going faster and faster.....they sold out in 1 week.
And at $85 (and up) too.
Wow.
(Went the last few years but can't afford to go any more at those prices. ;) )
Jamesongrrl
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.
-J.R.R. Tolkien

#31 Jamesongrrl

Jamesongrrl
  • Members
  • 1,137 posts
  • Interests:Tied for first: Travel & Food & Motorcycles (particularly my BMW 650 GS)

Posted 09 May 2006 - 09:14 AM

Latest offering from P&P:

Second chances don't come around often -- here's yours!

Get The Real Dirt on Farmer John and his vegetables as we once again present dinner with Farmer John Peterson, star of the widely acclaimed and award-winning documentary "The Real Dirt on Farmer John" and author of The Real Dirt on Vegetables a beautiful new cookbook of seasonal recipes and stories.

Join us for this exclusive evening Sunday, June 11th as we visit with Farmer John and feast on the creations of our own local superstar, Chef Leather Storrs of Noble Rot. Inspiration, hilarity and indulgence are sure to ensue during this unforgettable night of food, drink and revelry.

Lifelong Illinois farmer John Peterson runs Angelic Organics, one of the largest CSA farms in the US. The film about his adventures in resurrecting his farm has won 19 awards at film festivals worldwide. Now Farmer John introduces the companion cookbook, The Real Dirt on Vegetables. Copies of the book will be available for purchase at dinner.

Dinner with Farmer John at Noble Rot
Sunday, June 11th at 6pm
Seats are $100 per person (all inclusive).
Advance reservations are absolutely required
To make reservations contact us at dine@plateandpitchfork.com or ring 503.241.0745

Don't delay. Dust off your feather boa and make your reservations today!

See you at Noble Rot!

The Fine Print

We must know at the time of your reservation if anyone in your party requires a vegetarian (no fish, poultry or meat) or fishetarian (no meat or poultry) meal.

Cancellations must be made 14 days in advance to receive a full refund, cancellations made 7 days prior to the event will receive a 50% refund. Refunds are not available with less than 7 days notice.

Plate & Pitchfork dinners are not suitable for children.

Jamesongrrl
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.
-J.R.R. Tolkien

#32 Angelhair

Angelhair
  • 7,660 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 01:10 PM

At the NARAL auction, I won tickets to the Plate and Pitchfork dinner this upcoming weekend with Chef Scott Dolich from Park Kitchen and Chef John Gorham from Simpatica Catering.

In the e-mail they sent me, they said that the dinner would be filmed for an episode of PBS' Endless Feast. I don't know anything about that show, does anybody?

#33 Amanda

Amanda
  • 7,626 posts
  • Interests:Eating, cooking, kayaking, canoeing, letterboxing

Posted 31 July 2006 - 02:23 PM

I have never seen or heard of Endless Feast. I've never been to one of these Plate & Pitchfork things, either. I've never been remotely interested in these dinners. I am eager to hear what your take is on it, Niki. Please post a review when it's over and done. It seems like most people enjoy them.

Best regards,

Amanda

#34 foodjunkie

foodjunkie
  • Members
  • 340 posts
  • Interests:Dining, food safaris, hiking, fishing, bird hunting, gardening, sustainable agriculture, wild mushrooms, wine, single malt, cigars

Posted 31 July 2006 - 04:40 PM

Speaking of Plate & Pitchfork and this Sunday's dinner...

My wife and I have reservations but cannot attend. If anyone would like to "buy" our seats, they are available for the price that we paid for them ($85 per person). Here are the particulars:

Sunday, August 6 at Sauvie Island Organics
Chef Scott Dolich from Park Kitchen and Chef John Gorham from Simpatica Catering
Wines from Appoloni Vineyards
$85 per person all inclusive

I apologize for the short notice, but I need confirmation of your desire to go and need to receive payment by Wednesday AM or I'm going to release the seats for use by someone on P&P's waiting list. I'll happily make this transaction via PayPal for the sake of convenience.

PM me if you are interested.

Thanks,

Glenn
“A complete lack of caution is perhaps one of the true signs of a real gourmet: he has no need for it, being filled as he is with a God-given and intelligently self-cultivated sense of gastronomical freedom.”

M.F.K. Fisher

#35 foodjunkie

foodjunkie
  • Members
  • 340 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 04:41 PM

Speaking of Plate & Pitchfork and this Sunday's dinner...

My wife and I have reservations but cannot attend. If anyone would like to "buy" our seats, they are available for the price that we paid for them ($85 per person). Here are the particulars:

Sunday, August 6 at Sauvie Island Organics
Chef Scott Dolich from Park Kitchen and Chef John Gorham from Simpatica Catering
Wines from Appoloni Vineyards
$85 per person all inclusive

I apologize for the short notice, but I need confirmation of your desire to go and need to receive payment by Wednesday AM or I'm going to release the seats for use by someone on P&P's waiting list. I'll happily make this transaction via PayPal for the sake of convenience.

PM me if you're interested.

Thanks,

Glenn

M.F.K. Fisher

#36 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 31 July 2006 - 04:50 PM

I don't know if I want my fat ass on TV, but it is my wife's birthday so I may take them. This was the P&P I most wanted to do. I'll talk to my wife tonight. Although, if someone else REALLY wants them and can't wait....

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#37 mczlaw

mczlaw
  • Members
  • 571 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 05:04 PM

From what I understand, "Endless Feast" is a wannabe public TV series on farm dinners.

TV aside (far aside, preferably), these dinners are wonderful opportunities for city dweller to connect directly with the source of the same good stuff a lot of our favorite restaurants use. It's a chance to meet and interact with the farmers and see their farms. Finally, in my experience, the dinners are an opportunity to see great local chefs use the ingredients in the fields, using kitchen facilities that tend to be a few rungs down from a modern kitchen. The dishes, though, don't seem to suffer.

I know the dinners are sold out this year (so someone should snap up the tix on offer), but this is about as interesting as it gets for true food enthusiasts who enjoy dining al fresco at the height of our beautiful summer season.

--mcz

ps: Nick: don't sign the release; magic, no TV.

#38 Angelhair

Angelhair
  • 7,660 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 05:35 PM

The e-mail did say that you don't have to be on camera

"This evening’s dinner will be filmed as part of a PBS series entitled the Endless Feast. Everyone participating in the meal will be asked to sign a waiver allowing the crew to film your participation in the meal. The crew may also ask you questions about your experience. We’ve attached a waiver for your review. If you would prefer not to appear on camera, please let us know immediately so that we may accommodate both you and the camera crew."

#39 Kristi

Kristi
  • 2,043 posts

Posted 07 August 2006 - 08:14 AM

Angelhair - how was dinner?

#40 Angelhair

Angelhair
  • 7,660 posts

Posted 07 August 2006 - 09:06 AM

I am reluctant to comment because I don't want to detract from what is seemingly a 'good cause'. But here goes.

What a beautiful farm and a beautiful day. The evening started out in the garden with a pinot blanc from Apolloni Vineyards (who did all the wine), a few apps. and tastes of two Pacific Foods soups (which Jeff really loved, slurping down several on this hot day). The opening plates were Cucumber Coolers (did not try), salt cod tarts (very good), and flatbread pizzas with tomatoes and anchovies (not my thing).

The highlight of the evening for me came next. We were led into the fields by one of the growers. She talked about the crops, youth programs that offer visits to the farm, and CSA. It was just beautiful. She pulled bunches of carrots out of the ground, rinsed them underneath a hose and passed them out for munching. The fresh sweet carrots still warm from the earth they have been pulled out of...delicious. We got to the rows of sweet corn and she said, "go in and pick and ear and eat it." I have never had fresh picked corn. It was so sweet and hot from the summer sun. I could have just sat in the field and eaten raw corn all night!

We were then seated at long tables in the middle of the field. The first course was really impressive. The Simpatica guys served Frogmore Stew. They basically boiled shrimp, crab legs and crawfish in huge pots full of fresh corn, potatoes and Andouille sausage. The pots were then dumped on big tables covered with brown paper. Guests stood in line and served themselves picking out what they wanted. It was fun and fresh and very flavorful. It was served with a 2005 pinot blanc.

I can read the menu and tell you about the next two courses, but the truth is, we didn't get to taste them. We were seated at the end of a very long table and the dishes neither made it us, nor to another couple seated beside us. We asked for 'more', but none came. The servers were volunteers, so I was trying to be patient, but they just never came back with more food.

Here's the decription of the third course, of which I tasted exctly this, one half of one cherry tomato, three kernels of bulgar wheat, one sliver of something green and one sliver of fresh gignger. My 'serving' was the size of a half-dollar coin. It was described thusly in the menu: Summer squash, Tomatoes and pecan salad. We were served a 2004 pinot noir.

Dinner was next, and also served family-style. We had seen the goats roasting on spits when we walked in. I was very exited to taste them. But that was not to be. Again, by the time the platter reached us, it was comically bare. Bones, fat and skin were left. The skin was really good though. It was served with vegetable and another side, but there were none left on the platter. I left my seat and went to the prep table to ask for more. There was none. By now I am disappointed and also hungry. It was served with a 2003 pinot noir.

Thankfully dessert was served on individual plates! It was a bourbon peach pie served with ice cream. I was so hungry, I inhaled it and barely tasted it. It was served with a sparkling cider from Ciderworks (she is often at the Saturday Farmer's market).

A cheese plate was plassed, which actually made it to our end. Hurray! I have no idea what was on it, as no one bothered to tell us at the forgotten end of the table. There was a chevre, but the others I didn't recognise.

On the way out, I talked to a person in charge to suggest that they might want to change their serving style or at least keep a reserve of food, so that everyone gets a chance to eat. She said that perhaps I wasn't assertive enough in asking for more food. Boy, she doesn't know me, does she?! Anyway, I said to her, "So you are saying that it's my fault that we didn't get any food!?" She said to send her an e-mail. I did, but she hasn't replied.

The farm was beautiful and it was a lovely evening. And I was so looking forward to this. I don't want to say that one shouldn't go to a Plate and Pitchfork dinner, as it WAS cool to interact with the farmer's. But I was very disappointed and felt cheated. I would not do it again.