Photo

Plate & Pitchfork Farm Dinners

• Please log in to reply
233 replies to this topic

#1 foodjunkie

foodjunkie
  • Members
  • 340 posts
  • Interests:Dining, food safaris, hiking, fishing, bird hunting, gardening, sustainable agriculture, wild mushrooms, wine, single malt, cigars

Posted 10 January 2005 - 01:20 PM

Anyone been to one of the Plate & Pitchfork dinners? Opinions?

http://www.plateandp....com/index.html

#2 Jamesongrrl

Jamesongrrl
  • Members
  • 1,137 posts
  • Interests:Tied for first: Travel & Food & Motorcycles (particularly my BMW 650 GS)

Posted 11 January 2005 - 08:23 AM

No, haven't been but sounds fun!
Signin' up and hope to go this summer!

#3 Apple

Apple
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 28 January 2005 - 08:02 PM

Erika from Plate & Pitchfork here. Happy to answer any questions you might have about our dinners. We're planning at least 8 this summer beginning July 23. We'll have the schedule buttoned up in the next week or so and it will be posted on our web site, or if you'd like advance notice join our mailing list or drop me a note. Oh and if you have any suggestions for us, we'd love to hear them. Hope to see you on the farm.

#4 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,058 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 28 January 2005 - 11:26 PM

Thanks for the offer and welcome.
The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole & Kenny & Zuke's

#5 foodjunkie

foodjunkie
  • Members
  • 340 posts
  • Interests:Dining, food safaris, hiking, fishing, bird hunting, gardening, sustainable agriculture, wild mushrooms, wine, single malt, cigars

Posted 31 January 2005 - 11:16 AM

Nice...the first dinner is just in time for my birthday! Looking forward to it and welcome to the BB. :lol:
“A complete lack of caution is perhaps one of the true signs of a real gourmet: he has no need for it, being filled as he is with a God-given and intelligently self-cultivated sense of gastronomical freedom.”

M.F.K. Fisher

#6 foodjunkie

foodjunkie
  • Members
  • 340 posts

Posted 19 April 2005 - 07:30 AM

FYI, if you're interested in attending one of the Plate & Pitchfork Dinners, I suggest making reservations at your earliest convenience. The first three dinners have already sold out.
FWIW, the wife and I are attending the Aug. 13th dinner @ Dancing Roots Farm in Troutdale. John Gorham & Jason Owens from Simpatica/Viande Meats are the Guest Chefs and the wines are from Owen Roe...sounds like a match made in Heaven to me. :mrgreen:

http://plateandpitch...er_schedule.asp
“A complete lack of caution is perhaps one of the true signs of a real gourmet: he has no need for it, being filled as he is with a God-given and intelligently self-cultivated sense of gastronomical freedom.”

M.F.K. Fisher

#7 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,058 posts

Posted 19 April 2005 - 08:45 AM

Kind of annoying that they don't have a non-wine option for us non-drinkers. Hard to justify $75-125.
The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

#8 Apple

Apple
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 20 April 2005 - 07:10 AM

Don't be annoyed about a non-wine option, just talk to us.
Contact us directly at 503.241.0745.
We've accommodated non-drinkers in the past and are happy to do so again.

Truthfully you should know that wine is the least of the expenses associated with the dinner, and in the case of the SIO Benefit the additional funds in the higher priced ticket go directly to the SIO Scholarship Fund.

At present only three dinners have available seating -- 8/7, 8/12 and 8/26.

Thanks for reading.

#9 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,058 posts

Posted 20 April 2005 - 10:28 AM

Thanks for the clarification, Apple.

#10 foodjunkie

foodjunkie
  • Members
  • 340 posts

Posted 15 August 2005 - 03:34 PM

Well, the dinner @ Dancing Roots has come and gone and what a dinner it was. The weather could not have been better, the folks from Pitchfork to Plate had the evening coordinated perfectly and the food and wine were beyond compare. John & Ben from Viande were in top form as they produced a seasonally appropriate menu composed primarily of ingredients from Dancing Roots. We had the good fortune of being seated at a table next to David O'Reilly, the winemaker extraordinaire of Owen Roe/O'Reilly. He was truly delightful to spend time with and the wines he brought for the dinner were all from his personal library...either unreleased or no longer available. What a generous gesture from the O'Reilly's and a rare treat for those of us in attendance.
After a brief farm tour and a short Q&A session, we feasted on Zucchini Wraps and Empanadas for appetizers, served with O'Reilly's Pinot Gris. The salad course was actually two salads...field greens with pickled golden beets and a cucumber and red onion salad. Both as fresh as could be and served with the 'yet to be released' Owen Roe Chardonnay 2004 (David O'Reilly informed us that he only produced two barrels of this delicious elixir and he doesn't expect supplies to last beyond Labor Day weekend). The soup was a cold potato and mint soup also served with the chardonnay. I'm NOT a cold soup fan at all, but the boys from Viande actually created a cold soup that I thoroughly enjoyed. The main course was a cedar plank grilled salmon served with an andouille etouffe sauce and the wines were Owen Roe Pinot Noir 2003 and a truly amazing Owen Roe Syrah, also from 2003. I was a bit apprehensive about salmon ettoufe, but hats off to John Gorham and his Southern roots... the main course was a triumph of Southern/Pacific NW fusion cuisine. Dessert was an ethereal panna cotta served with a fresh-picked blackberry sauce and Owen Roe's Voce Populi, a grenache based, fortified dessert wine.
I know I've raved about this dinner and I'll make no bones about the fact that Viande and Owen Roe are at the top of my A-List for local food & wine....but the dinner was sincerely a wonderful event, our picky guests were extremely pleased with the entire evening and I highly recommend that any serious foodie experience the joy of dining in the fields of our local farms. If you haven't been to a Pitchfork to Plate event, save your pennies, get on the mailing list and sign up early for next year. I know I will.

M.F.K. Fisher

#11 foodjunkie

foodjunkie
  • Members
  • 340 posts

Posted 25 April 2006 - 09:51 AM

FYI, the 2006 Dinner schedule for Plate & Pitchfork was released today. We went last year and it was wonderful. Here's a link to their web site:

http://plateandpitch...com/default.asp

M.F.K. Fisher

#12 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,058 posts

Posted 25 April 2006 - 12:38 PM

All good things come to those who wait. The wait is over.

Thank you for waiting patiently. Thank you for being so incredibly supportive of our efforts. In return, we present you with a delicious schedule. Take a look at the dinners, call your friends and make your reservations!

Don't dally, even though rumors of a two-year waiting list are not true, the dinners do sell out quickly and we wouldn't want to miss you on the farm. So hop to it and make your reservations today!

The quickest and easiest way to make your reservation is to click on the link below. This will allow you to use a credit card to make your reservation through PayPal.

If you prefer to pay by check, dial 503.241.0745 and leave a detailed message, we'll ring you back to confirm your seats. We cannot take credit cards by phone. Advance reservations are absolutely required for all dinners.

Without further ado, follow this link for the schedule and reservations. [Note from Extramsg: These tend to sell out, so make your reservations early. I've listed the dinners below as well.]

We look forward to seeing you on the farm!
Emily & Erika

Your evening begins with a wine tasting reception with the guest winemaker, then head out on a farm tour. Led by the host farmer, you’ll tour the fields and learn about the farm’s history, operations and products. Your tour concludes in the dining area where tables dressed in white linen and candlelight offer a view of the al fresco kitchen where two local chefs have prepared a delectable meal with produce plucked from the fields you just toured. A five-course meal, family-style meal is interrupted only by the sounds of neighboring cows and crickets.

You'll have a great meal, gather insight into the evening's meal and you'll be helping our beneficiaries support our community.

Dinners begin promptly at 6pm on Fridays and Saturdays, at 5pm on Sundays and conclude at approximately 10:00 pm. Advance reservations are absolutely required. Dinner prices include all food, wine, non-alcoholic beverages and gratuity.

THE DINNERS:

Friday, July 21 at Lone Elder Farm in Canby
Chef Aaron Dionne from Bon Appetit-adidas, Chef Paul Klitsie from Fratelli Cucina and Chef Jim Green from Bon Appetit-Univeristy of Portland
Wines from Ponzi Vineyards
$85 per person all inclusive

Saturday, July 22 at Lone Elder Farm in Canby
Chef Billy Schumaker from Taqueria Nueve & DF and Chef Leather Storrs from Noble Rot
Wines from Chehalem and JK Carriere
$95 per person all inclusive

Sunday, July 23 at Lone Elder Farm in Canby
Chef Adam Berger from Tabla Mediterranean Bistro and Chef Lyle Jost from Mint/820
Wines from St. Innocent

Friday, August 4 at Sauvie Island Organics
Chef Eric Bechard from Alberta Street Oyster House and Chef Marco Shaw from Fife
Wines from A to Z Wineworks and Francis Tannahill

Saturday, August 5 at Sauvie Island Organics
Chef Jenn Louis from Culinary Artistry and Chef Rich Meyer from Higgins
Wines from Grochau Cellars, and cider from Cyderworks

Sunday, August 6 at Sauvie Island Organics
Chef Scott Dolich from Park Kitchen and Chef John Gorham from Simpatica Catering
Wines from Appoloni Vineyards

Friday August 11 at Baggenstos Family Farm
The Genoa Reunion Tour featuring Chef Jason Bokros from Valentines, Chef John Taboada from Navarre, Chef Alex West from Champis, Chef Cathy Whims from Nostrana
Wines from Elk Cove Vineyards

Saturday, August 12 at Baggenstos Family Farm
Chef Josh Blythe from Roux and Chef Vito Dilullo from Ciao Vito
Wines from Bergstrom Wines

Sunday, August 13 at Baggenstos Family Farm
*The Grand Finale
The Grand Finale with Chef David Machado from Vindalho & Lauro Kitchen and Chef Vitaly Paley from Paley's Place
Wines from Ken Wright Cellars
$130 per person all inclusive

#13 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,058 posts

Posted 25 April 2006 - 12:40 PM

Chef Scott Dolich from Park Kitchen and Chef John Gorham from Simpatica Catering

This one has me pretty interested. If others are interested, perhaps several of us PF.orgers could invade....

#14 Angelhair

Angelhair
  • 7,595 posts
  • Interests:film, cooking, literature

Posted 25 April 2006 - 12:45 PM

What are these dinners like? I've never been to one.

#15 mczlaw

mczlaw
  • Members
  • 570 posts

Posted 25 April 2006 - 12:53 PM

This one has me pretty interested. If others are interested, perhaps several of us PF.orgers could invade....

Sign up fast, this and all the others will be sold out before week's end. Trust me on this.

--mcz

P.S.: Purple prose. Get it? Ha ha.

#16 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,058 posts

Posted 25 April 2006 - 02:32 PM

There are also volunteer opportunities:

http://plateandpitch...m/volunteer.asp

From July 21 to August 13 Plate & Pitchfork will turn farms into classrooms and dining rooms.

And we need your help!

Each dinner requires the support of approximately a dozen volunteers. This is not a job for the faint of heart. Sure we have some easy jobs like table setting and flower arranging, but those come in tandem with serving dinner and the all important clean up.

Service experience is a plus, but it isn’t required. If you’ve got nerves of steel, have the uncanny ability to roll with the punches and like to laugh you’ll be perfect. Corporate groups, dodgeball teams and other groups are encouraged to volunteer together.

Send us a note and tell us why you’re crazy enough to spend a night on the farm with us and we’ll be in touch.

I believe some people here volunteered last year. You don't get full meal privileges, but there is some snacking, etc, plus you're helping out a good cause, meeting interesting people, etc.

#17 Angelhair

Angelhair
  • 7,595 posts
  • Interests:film, cooking, literature

Posted 25 April 2006 - 02:44 PM

I think we'd rather pay and go. Have you been before, Nick?

#18 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,058 posts

Posted 25 April 2006 - 03:24 PM

No, I still question whether it's truly worth it for me since I don't drink. But I think I might do one.

#19 Amanda

Amanda
  • 7,624 posts
  • Interests:Eating, cooking, kayaking, canoeing, letterboxing

Posted 25 April 2006 - 03:33 PM

Plate & Pitchfork sounds like somebody elses idea of fun. I think I'll pass on these, myself.

Best regards,

Amanda

#20 Calabrese

Calabrese

Desaparecido

• Banned
  • 5,970 posts

Posted 25 April 2006 - 05:44 PM

I agree this sounded the most interesting to me. I will talk to Jill-O about it.