Photo

Oregon Food Bank Again?

• Please log in to reply
198 replies to this topic

#181 tejon

tejon
  • 685 posts

Posted 13 July 2006 - 10:32 AM

I will definitely be there. I may get there a little after 6:00, though - I have a doctor's appointment at 5:00 that I have to go to, but will go directly to the food bank afterwards.
- Kathy

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

#182 Amanda

Amanda
  • 7,626 posts
  • Interests:Eating, cooking, kayaking, canoeing, letterboxing

Posted 13 July 2006 - 11:39 AM

Thanks, Tejon!

Best regards,

Amanda

#183 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 13 July 2006 - 06:00 PM

Sorry, I had to leave tonight for The Dalles to get some computers ready before people come in tomorrow, unfortunately. That's where I am.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#184 tejon

tejon
  • 685 posts

Posted 13 July 2006 - 08:20 PM

That's OK - I packed pasta and stuffed envelopes for you ;).
- Kathy

#185 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts

Posted 13 July 2006 - 09:31 PM

Just know that I'm serving my sentence here in a 67 degree server room surrounded by ethernet cables trying to figure out why a new DHCP server won't give out an IP address to a VOIP adapter, after which I have to set up another server and will probably be here into the wee hours at which time I'll go sleep in an uncomfortable bed so that I can get up at 6am and pull my hair out some more while people ask me why their printer, which they decided to move to a new spot, no longer works. (Because you unplugged it from the back of the machine and didn't plug it back in. Duh.)

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#186 tejon

tejon
  • 685 posts

Posted 13 July 2006 - 09:37 PM

That would be funny if it weren't so tragic. Please tell me you'll at least make a dramatic arm wave when the previously unplugged printer suddenly springs to life, followed up with a low intonation of "we magicians never share our secrets." ;)
- Kathy

#187 Amanda

Amanda
  • 7,626 posts

Posted 14 July 2006 - 06:26 AM

Hey Tejon!!!

Thanks SO MUCH for doing Food Bank duty for us last night. I hope you had a great time and met interesting people. Hopefully, we'll be able to make it next month! PortlandFood.org appreciates your efforts, as well as the Oregon Food Bank. THANKS!

Best regards,

Amanda

#188 Amanda

Amanda
  • 7,626 posts

Posted 07 August 2006 - 10:32 AM

Hi People!

This Thursday is the day we get to help out at the Oregon Food Bank. John and I are tentative at this point pending a possible medical procedure that may keep me off my feet (or foot, as it may be -- hopefully not, though, since I want to do the Bridge Pedal this weekend). Anyway, I will know more later.

Please show up at 6:00 pm at the Oregon Food Bank on NE 33rd Avenue between Columbia Blvd. and Marine Drive willing and able to roll up your sleeves, help out, and have fun!

Best regards,

Amanda

#189 tejon

tejon
  • 685 posts

Posted 07 August 2006 - 11:35 AM

I'm in, and it looks like I managed to rope Dan in as well. So that's two :).
- Kathy

#190 Amanda

Amanda
  • 7,626 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 10:12 AM

Thanks for the response, Kathy! The doc didn't cut off my foot or anything yesterday (probably saving that for another day) so John and I will be at Food Bank on Thursday night. Looking forward to it. See you then!

Best regards,

Amanda

#191 Amanda

Amanda
  • 7,626 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 11:15 AM

Tonight is the night for us to help out at the Oregon Food Bank. Please come on out! We'd love to have you along. It goes from 6:00 - 8:30 (We will be there just a tad late, but plan to come) at the OFB located on NE 33rd Avenue between Columbia Blvd. and Marine Drive on the East side of the street. Hope to see you there!

Best regards,

Amanda

#192 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 02:37 PM

I'll try to get out of here in time. Ever since the deli, though, I'm in The Dalles on Thursdays instead of Fridays. I did just give them a fat check, though, so I don't feel so bad.

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#193 Amanda

Amanda
  • 7,626 posts

Posted 11 August 2006 - 06:13 AM

We don't suck as badly as it appears. I said we'd be late, but I didn't think we wouldn't be able to show up AT ALL!

John had some financial stuff to take care of downtown and afterward we were stuck in the most horrendous traffic gridlock I have ever since in this city. After moving what seemed like 2 inches in a half hour, we managed to eek our way around a corner and into a parking spot. We dined downtown and cooled our heels as we watched a whole lot of motor vehicles go a whole lot of nowhere. When we were done with dinner we thought we still might be able to make it still (though really late by this time), but it wasn't meant to be. We waited in the car for traffic to clear and it was nothing but a slow crawl.

By the time we got home it was almost 7:30. Can one closed bridge cause this much of a bungle or was something more going on I don't know about??? We did hear sirens. In any case, Tejon, Dan and Nick and anyone else who went to Food Bank -- Thanks for doing it! I'm sorry we weren't there for you. I think I'm cursed from Food Bank this year. There is always something that comes up and prevents our presence. It's pathetic. I don't know what to say for myself. Stuff happens and it always seems to happen the night of our Food Bank duties. ARGH!

Best regards,

Amanda

#194 tejon

tejon
  • 685 posts

Posted 11 August 2006 - 11:37 AM

Traffic was just plain nasty last night - reminded me of California. There were many people who showed up around 6:30 or so, all talking about how slow things were going on the freeway. It ended up being me and Dan and several families with older children. Relabeled broth and packaged a hill of beans (pretty much literally - we ended up with two pallets of boxes, and that was after several pallets of broth). It was nice to be able to help.
- Kathy

#195 Amanda

Amanda
  • 7,626 posts

Posted 11 August 2006 - 12:09 PM

You two are awesome and we really, really appreciate your coming out to help! You're terrific!

Best regards,

Amanda

#196 Amanda

Amanda
  • 7,626 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 09:12 AM

Hello All!

This Thursday night, September 14, is PF.org's night at the Oregon Food Bank from 6:00 - 8:30. Please come on out and help the hungry. Thanks!

Best regards,

Amanda

#197 Angelhair

Angelhair
  • 7,660 posts
  • Interests:film, cooking, literature

Posted 24 September 2007 - 08:05 AM

I know everyone is busy these days, but the Food Bank could use some help right now. This is from their website:

Food recall affects OFB Network

Cars. Clothing. Toys. And food. Recalls now affect virtually every industry, including the Oregon Food Bank Network.

In addition to a major food recall, U.S.D.A. commodities dropped 300,000 pounds in the past two months. And food-industry donations declined 1.1-million pounds compared to the same period last year due to a strong agricultural market. This means Oregon Food Bank and its regional food banks, including Southeast Oregon Regional Food Bank in Ontario, (pictured above) are struggling to fill empty shelves.

"We have a big gap to fill and need your support more than ever to help people in need," says Rachel Bristol, OFB's CEO.

...Every dollar you donate enables Oregon Food Bank to collect and distribute more than six pounds of food through its food distribution program.

You can make a secure on-line donation here:

https://secure.orego...ecure_donation/

#198 praisethelard

praisethelard
  • Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 04:12 PM

Folks, we have been re-miss.

I feel very strongly that if we are engaging in food as entertainment and recreation (and we are), it would behoove us to remember those who eat only to sustain themselves and often only due to the kindness of others, and give 'em a hand.

So, Nick, you've been the only one to set these up in the past. I'd consider doing it, if you'd give me the contact info and anything else I'd need to know to set it up. I don't have a computer at home, but I might be able to swing it anyway...I'd be willing to try, anyway.

October...

Is it Tues or Thurs nights only? Is that right?

Let's do this people!! It's the right thing to do, and it's a lot of fun anyway.

how can i give some time and energy?

#199 mrg

mrg
  • Members
  • 328 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 07:54 PM

Here's a link - http://www.oregonfoo...ence/volunteer/

There are many ways to get involved based on your interests and skills. I'm involved weekly with nutritional education when classes are in session. You can do it either by yourself or as part of a group - it's really easy - the people are great and you come away with way more than you started with.