Photo

Local Farmers Markets

• Please log in to reply
90 replies to this topic

#81 jennifer

jennifer
  • 3,264 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 10:39 AM

Opening day at Beaverton Farmer's Market.  Two things that were most notable to me: 

Grand Central Bakery is out.  Tabor Bread is in.  This will upset a LOT of market goers who flooded Grand Center as their first stop in the market.  Now there's no vendor with croissants & pastries except for Fressen. 

Bakeshop wasn't there.

And Cheesy Poofs!  New vendor.  Fuller Foods Cheese Puffs.  4 kinds:  IPA, Maple Bacon made with OP bacon, Jalapeno blue cheese, and Sriracha, very spicy, awesome. They're all great.  The IPA has a bitter finish that tastes exactly like IPA. 

Homepage%20puffs.jpg?format=1000w

Bought a small loaf of the famous rye from Tabor Bread.  Good stuff but I guess I'm more partial to a typical Jewish deli rye.  This is more like a lead-bread you'd get at Fressen breads.

#82 jennifer

jennifer
  • 3,264 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 10:34 AM

PSA: If you're going to Beaverton Farmer's Mkt this Saturday, be there at 8am when they open and leave by 9am.  The city blocks streets around here for the annual parade which starts at 10am.  If you go early, there's never a problem and vendors are thrilled to see shoppers there on this day.  If you go later, it'll take you 1+ hours of sitting in gridlock to get out of there. 

#83 _RC

_RC
  • Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 06:03 PM

Did you go last weekend? Are there plenty of chile peppers to choose from?

#84 RM

RM
  • Members
  • 589 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 09:42 AM

There were plenty of Padrons at the Hillsdale Market last Sunday

#85 jennifer

jennifer
  • 3,264 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 10:56 AM

Did you go last weekend? Are there plenty of chile peppers to choose from?

Yes, tons everywhere.  Padrons are everywhere. Shishitos at Gathering Together and Spring Hill. A giant tub of Cerry Bombs at Spring Hill.  Thai chilies, serranos, jalapenos, banana and yellow wax ones throughout the market, plus the farm stand at the corner of the market that sells the Hermiston watermelons also had habaneros and a few other kinds of hot peppers.  Tons of Italian red bell peppers too.

#86 _RC

_RC
  • Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 04:55 PM

I shopped here almost daily so I'll miss them tremendously. The owner Nancy was also kind enough to let me set up my small batch coffee roaster to roast on occasional weekends. I hope they can find somewhere in our area to reopen in the future.

From there website/blog....

FYI: Gramma's Farm Store

For many reasons, Gramma's Farm Store has decided not to open for the 2015 season.
We couldn't be more thankful and appreciative to all of our wonderful customers we have been blessed to call our friends.
We may consider re-opening in 2016 but nothing is definite. 
The last weekend in February we will be having a sale for any remaining inventory, supplies, and interior/exterior Decour.
Thank you again for your support!
The crew at Gramma's.

http://www.grammasfarmstore.com/

#87 jennifer

jennifer
  • 3,264 posts

Posted 24 April 2015 - 12:16 PM

Bethany Village is looking for farms who would like to participate in a new neighborhood farmer's market in their shopping center parking lot.  Bethany Village is located about 2 miles N of 26, off the Bethany/Cornell exit. If you are a farmer and are interested, or know of a farm that might be interested, below is their facebook post with contact info. 

"Hey there! We are thinking about doing a Farmer's Market here in the Village! I am currently trying to find a farm that would be willing to participate. If you're a farmer and you are interested, please email or call Rochelle @ 503-690-2800 or rochelle@bethanyvillage.com. Thank you!"

#88 jennifer

jennifer
  • 3,264 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 07:29 PM

Update on the Bethany Village farmer's market:  they've got 8 vendors signed up and are doing their first market next Wednesday June 3rd 5pm - 8pm. 

I don't know that I count Petco as a vendor, but if it helps them to bankroll a market with local vendors, than that's cool by me. 

http://pamplinmedia....-farmers-market

This little market will be packed with families buying stuff, then heading over to the micro restaurants to have dinner, and tons of kid time in the fountain.  Pretty smart setup.

Vendor list so far:

Mark's NW Fresh Produce

Kookoolan Farms

Herr Family Farm

Baird Family Orchards

Abbey Creek Winery

MeeMee’s Goodies

MoMo Shave Ice

Unleashed by Petco.

#89 jennifer

jennifer
  • 3,264 posts

Posted 15 December 2015 - 08:14 PM

Ayers Creek is leaving the HIllsdale Farmer's Market after a 15 year run. Below is their take on the City's support and the future of our farmer's markets. If this is true, then we will go by the way of San Francisco & East Bay with the JB Public Market only and all other neighborhood markets gone.

I don't know if I completely agree with them on this though. The PSU market sits on a public green space, not a parking lot. Beaverton's market is at the main library parking lot, so I don't see that going away. And Hillsboro's market is on Main Street, so I don't see that going away either. But they may be correct about the remaining smaller neighborhood markets that do sit on parking lots. Time will tell. I hope they are wrong.

http://letumeat.com/...farmers-market/

When you slice away the rhetoric and hype, I think Portland, and Oregon in general, are failing when it comes to direct sales. There is no improvement or investment in the neighborhood farmers’ markets. Most have a tenuous hold on their sites. Carol and I expect to farm for another decade or more, and we have made substantial investments to make sure that is possible on our end. The city has not. Portland’s Comprehensive Plan – the overall view of what the city will look like in 20 years – treats farmers’ markets as an acceptable temporary use for undeveloped land, with the proviso that they will close or move when the property is eventually developed for some other use. Followed to its logical end, farmers’ markets will disappear from the urban area. We would love to see greater public commitment to direct farm sales. With neither certainty nor comfort in store at the market, we decided to shift to a different way of selling what we grow.

#90 RM

RM
  • Members
  • 589 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 04:22 PM

Ayers Creek is leaving the HIllsdale Farmer's Market after a 15 year run. Below is their take on the City's support and the future of our farmer's markets. If this is true, then we will go by the way of San Francisco & East Bay with the JB Public Market only and all other neighborhood markets gone.

I don't know if I completely agree with them on this though. The PSU market sits on a public green space, not a parking lot. Beaverton's market is at the main library parking lot, so I don't see that going away. And Hillsboro's market is on Main Street, so I don't see that going away either. But they may be correct about the remaining smaller neighborhood markets that do sit on parking lots. Time will tell. I hope they are wrong.

When you slice away the rhetoric and hype, I think Portland, and Oregon in general, are failing when it comes to direct sales. There is no improvement or investment in the neighborhood farmers’ markets. Most have a tenuous hold on their sites. Carol and I expect to farm for another decade or more, and we have made substantial investments to make sure that is possible on our end. The city has not. Portland’s Comprehensive Plan – the overall view of what the city will look like in 20 years – treats farmers’ markets as an acceptable temporary use for undeveloped land, with the proviso that they will close or move when the property is eventually developed for some other use. Followed to its logical end, farmers’ markets will disappear from the urban area. We would love to see greater public commitment to direct farm sales. With neither certainty nor comfort in store at the market, we decided to shift to a different way of selling what we grow.

It's a good article and I've always thought that the Ayers Creek folks produce was great.

I read this less as they're leaving due to lack of City support and more that they're personally older and tired of the rigors of selling at a weekly farmers market and that they have other opportunities. I'll miss them but I do not think that the space for the Hillsdale farmers market (Wilson High School) is going away in the foreseeable future.

#91 StMaximo

StMaximo
  • Members
  • 2,701 posts

Posted 18 December 2015 - 08:50 AM

It's a good article and I've always thought that the Ayers Creek folks produce was great.

I read this less as they're leaving due to lack of City support and more that they're personally older and tired of the rigors of selling at a weekly farmers market and that they have other opportunities. I'll miss them but I do not think that the space for the Hillsdale farmers market (Wilson High School) is going away in the foreseeable future.

I agree about being older/more wholesale business being the reason they're leaving, but I appreciated the comments on losing space for markets. I worked near Emanuel Hospital for 40 years and the changes from single story buildings and lots to urban canyons on Williams and Vancouver the last couple of years is startling. The same thing is happening all over town whether it's the continuing build out in the Pearl or Division or Alberta etc.