Local Farmers Markets

• Please log in to reply
90 replies to this topic

#41 SarahWS

SarahWS
  • 1,406 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 01:54 PM

I threw up in my mouth reading these two descriptions:

# Divine Pi A Portland-based company that makes sharing size pies using all raw, live, whole food ingredients. The pies are free of gluten, dairy, and refined sugars, and feature seasonal ingredients.
# Heidi Ho Organics A brand new vegan food company headquartered in Portland offering a range of vegan, plant-based cheese alternatives that are made from all natural, organic ingredients. The initial line of cheeses will include a soy-based Feta and Oregon hazelnut-based Chipotle Cheddar, Monterey Jack and Smoked Gouda.

Talk about removing everything natural about food to make fake food - just because it's not made in a factory doesn't make it any less fake. And pies made using raw "live" foods sounds like something straight off Portlandia - the fact they are dairy, gluten, and refined sugar free seems to guarantee total tastelessness.

#42 loofahgirl

loofahgirl
  • Members
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 03:03 PM

Anyone go to the PSU market today? How was it?

#43 jennifer

jennifer
  • 3,262 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 04:15 PM

I went around 10:30 and was shocked that it wasn't packed. I expected a mob scene but it wasn't. My guess is that a lot of people didn't know it opened today. Wasn't the original date set for 4/2? Anyway, it was great, as always. I saw some of the new vendors, tried a bite of vegan chocolate hazelnut pie from one of the vendors SarahWS mentions above (Devine Pi), and didn't care for it at all. But, gave it a fair shot anyway.

LOVE the new kimchi vendor. I posted about it in the kimchi thread. Bright fresh flavors with pickled tastes and a nice heat, without the funkiness that I don't care for. I bought a jar of the stuff.

Sometime last month I tried Ned Ludd for the first time, and had by far the best pickle plate I've ever had. It spoiled me for what pickled items can and should be. Such distinct and different flavors for each pickled item. So the white kimchi was a nice follow up to these different flavors.

All the usual vendors were there, gorgeous produce everywhere. OP is there this year too! I bought rillettes from them and a salami. T&T said they'll be there in a couple of weeks.

My favorite produce vendor, the guy with the huge turnips & artichokes later in the season (he's by the steps in the back row) has brussels sprouts rabe. This will only be around for a few weeks. Great stuff. It's like broccoli rabe only you don't need to blanch it to remove the bitterness. This stuff can go straight into the pan. It's nutty and wonderful with a hint of bitter green. I also picked up some breakfast radishes and turnips from him.

I'll be happy though when Beaverton Market opens. PSU market is death for anyone trying to stay low-carb. So many gorgeous breads, baked goods, sweets and other temptations. Uggh. Love/hate.

#44 Twohearted

Twohearted
  • Members
  • 384 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 12:35 PM

Olympic Provisions has a stand there this year and that's the only change I noticed when we went to the PSU Market today. OP had some tiny hams (2-3.5 lbs) that they were trying out.

#45 John DePaula

John DePaula
  • Members
  • 1,463 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted 26 March 2011 - 02:21 PM

It's really a great farmers' market, isn't it! I got there today but had to do a very quick run through because of my schedule. Wish I'd had more time.
--------------------
You cannot legislate compassion into your fellow man (or woman, as the case may be), but we should at least attempt to create a society in which each individual has the opportunity to realize his or her potential. If we meet our citizens' needs for Health Care and Education, everything else will take care of itself. --Me

#46 joeleatspdx

joeleatspdx
  • Members
  • 256 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 08:07 PM

Ding Ding Ding! Brussels sprout rapini (rabe, raab, whatever) at Hillsdale FM this weekend. Newest most favoritest green. Super sweet. Quick saute. Yum.
-- bacon IS a food group.

#47 Angelhair

Angelhair
  • 7,658 posts
  • Interests:film, cooking, literature

Posted 05 April 2011 - 08:22 AM

Ding Ding Ding! Brussels sprout rapini (rabe, raab, whatever) at Hillsdale FM this weekend. Newest most favoritest green. Super sweet. Quick saute. Yum.

Over the weekend, I made a lasagna with a layer of rapini sauteed with shallots. So good... :drool:

#48 sacman

sacman
  • 684 posts
  • Interests:FOOD

Posted 17 April 2011 - 09:12 PM

I put up about 200 pictures of the PSU market from 4/16/2011 here.

Some highlights and criticisms:

Posted Image
Olympic Provisions has a booth.

Posted Image
These guys were selling olive oil...

Posted Image
...but it was from California. Not exactly local.

Posted Image
This is the line for Pine State Biscuits' booth. It's snaking around to the left, and ran past me. Yeah, it really was ridiculous.

Posted Image
No T&T, but Sweet Briar was there in force. I always enjoy their products; I bought a pack of bacon ends and pieces for about three bucks.

Posted Image
Raab and rapini was all over the place.

Posted Image
Some of the prettiest carrots were there.

Posted Image
"Fava tips" at Groundwork. These are basically pea shoots, but from fava bean vines. And they were ten dollars per pound. One would hope they've been sprinkled with fairy dust, at that price.

Posted Image
Ramps were available and of good quality. I bought a bunch and pickled them tonight for a dinner party next weekend.

Posted Image
Osmogaia was there. Nice to see that booth - they have phenomenal tomatoes and grapes later in the season.

Many more pictures at the link above.

-sacman
- I am an employee of a Portland-based firm that has business relationships with several local food-related businesses.

#49 Angelhair

Angelhair
  • 7,658 posts
  • Interests:film, cooking, literature

Posted 30 April 2011 - 10:31 AM

Ancient Heritage has their feta out right now. It's freaking fantastic.

#50 Calabrese

Calabrese

Desaparecido

• Banned
  • 5,970 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 06:51 AM

I decided to check out the Beaverton Farmer's Market yesterday since I had not been in a long time and my boss had forwarded me an email awhile ago. Generally, I go to Hillsdale but thought a change would be good. Beaverton is of course much bigger than Hillsdale and has vendors who are not at Hillsdale as well as some who are. There are also a lot more booths with prepared food to eat on site.

I got my produce from a farmer who is not at Hillsdale (but cannot now remember the name). And I had a deal with myself that I would only buy produce. The strawberries were good but not great. Albions, I think since they did not look like seascapes and the cashier said they grew both. The carrots were great and potatoes good. I made an insalata russa with some of the carrots and potatoes (Autogrill may be gone but that's something I can make myself). The carrots just put it over the top.

#51 sacman

sacman
  • 684 posts
  • Interests:FOOD

Posted 08 May 2011 - 09:51 PM

The 2011 Wednesday downtown farmers' market kicked off last week. I headed down there with my live-in nutritionist and shot a few pictures. You can see the whole gallery here.

Posted Image

Posted Image
Not really sure what the story is here, but "Gee Creek Mills" has shown up both here and the Saturday PSU market, with loads of milled grain/seed products. They haven't been at past markets...or at least, I haven't noticed their presence.

Posted Image
Typical lunch crowd stuff.

Posted Image
Gorgeous tomatoes...in May.

Posted Image
Some nice starts...

Posted Image

Posted Image
Ah...some authenticity. Very nice produce, indeed.

Posted Image
WVC was there. They're always a fave of mine...straightforward, quality cheeses. Their brie, again, is not to be missed. But you will miss it, because they rarely bring wheels of it to the farmers' markets.

Posted Image
Springwater Farms had truffles! I hadn't seen these at the Wednesday market in years prior.

Posted Image

Posted Image
Gathering Together, Viridian, and Spring Hill had lovely and expensive produce, as always.

Posted Image
This is four bucks' worth of strawberries. Good! But I don't think this is going to be a memorable strawberry year like the last two years were.

Posted Image
And, as for the past 4-5 years, Two Tarts was there.

-sacman
- I am an employee of a Portland-based firm that has business relationships with several local food-related businesses.

#52 StMaximo

StMaximo
  • Members
  • 2,700 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 07:08 AM

Mix had an Article with a listing of this year's local farmer's markets

#53 jennifer

jennifer
  • 3,262 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 07:05 PM

I bought rillettes today from these people at Beaverton Farmer's Market. Company name is Feastworks, and they had rillettes, a country pate and some different sausages. They had samples of the country pate out, but their samples were too small to really taste all the flavors going on. From what I could tell though, it was very good. I loved the rillettes! Better than OP's, imo. A cleaner flavor with a bit of spices in there. We enjoyed this, and it was less $ than OP's.

From their website, one of the partners is from the Herbfarm in Seattle, Park Kitchen and Clyde Common. The other partner is from Clyde Common, Phil's Meat Market and was head butcher at Laurelhurst Market.

I'll try and remember to bring my camera next week and post some photos. Very promising product!

#54 RM

RM
  • Members
  • 589 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 08:38 AM

I bought rillettes today from these people at Beaverton Farmer's Market. Company name is Feastworks, and they had rillettes, a country pate and some different sausages. They had samples of the country pate out, but their samples were too small to really taste all the flavors going on. From what I could tell though, it was very good. I loved the rillettes! Better than OP's, imo. A cleaner flavor with a bit of spices in there. We enjoyed this, and it was less $ than OP's.

From their website, one of the partners is from the Herbfarm in Seattle, Park Kitchen and Clyde Common. The other partner is from Clyde Common, Phil's Meat Market and was head butcher at Laurelhurst Market.

I'll try and remember to bring my camera next week and post some photos. Very promising product!

I got the pork rillete, some country pate with prunes, and some BBQ chicharones last week. All were very good. I agree that the rillette is a good value and I realy enjoyed some on crackers ($6 a half pint jar). I went back for more chicharones this week and they didn't have any but promised BBQ as well as sea salt & vinegar ones next week. I bought some Applewood smoked bacon and it was tasty on a BLT. Hope they do well.

#55 jennifer

jennifer
  • 3,262 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 11:26 AM

I got the pork rillete, some country pate with prunes, and some BBQ chicharones last week. All were very good. I agree that the rillette is a good value and I realy enjoyed some on crackers ($6 a half pint jar). I went back for more chicharones this week and they didn't have any but promised BBQ as well as sea salt & vinegar ones next week. I bought some Applewood smoked bacon and it was tasty on a BLT. Hope they do well.

I didn't see bacon or chicharones. I'll definitely try the bacon next week, thanks for the tip!

#56 jennifer

jennifer
  • 3,262 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 09:53 AM

For Crawfish lovers...Skipanon Seafood will have fresh live crawfish from the Oregon Coast at the Beaverton farmer's market this Saturday, $5.50/lb.

#57 foodjunkie

foodjunkie
  • Members
  • 340 posts
  • Interests:Dining, food safaris, hiking, fishing, bird hunting, gardening, sustainable agriculture, wild mushrooms, wine, single malt, cigars

Posted 12 August 2011 - 12:31 PM

The Vancouver Urban Growers Market happens today from 4pm-8pm. Local Clark County farmers, produce from the Urban Growers Co-op, barter table, live music (Couvefest NW happening today)...all at 2315 Main St. in Uptown Vancouver.

B)
A complete lack of caution is perhaps one of the true signs of a real gourmet: he has no need for it, being filled as he is with a God-given and intelligently self-cultivated sense of gastronomical freedom.

M.F.K. Fisher

#58 jennifer

jennifer
  • 3,262 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 05:15 PM

Springwater Farms (the mushroom stand) is starting to do cooked food items at the Shemanski Winter Market and the Hillsdale Sunday market. The gal said this was new, starting today. They had a frypan station set up, and a small oven. Two of the menu items were truffled chanterelle soup and pork sliders with mushrooms and I think bacon, I can't remember. They listed Tamworth pigs as the breed of pork they were serving. I think we're dropping by the Hillsdale market tomorrow. If we do I'll bring my camera and report back. All the mushroomy samples I've ever tasted from them over the years have been delish!

#59 jennifer

jennifer
  • 3,262 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 11:22 AM

Stopped by the new Pono Farm meat vendor at PSU Market on Saturday. They had photos of their farm on display along with various cuts of fresh pork & Wagyu beef, along with some cured products. Gorgeous farm, beautiful looking property, nice people. Bought a couple of pork loin chops to try and will toss those on the grill this week.

Pics:
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#60 Flynn

Flynn
  • Secondary Admin
  • 3,679 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 12:37 PM

Anytime you can snag a $45 Porterhouse steak you need to jump right on that shit.