#1 truth

truth
  • Members
  • 679 posts
  • Interests:scientist, artist, philanthropist, industrialist, bicyclist

Posted 04 April 2008 - 03:46 PM

Bar Mingo
811 NW 21st Ave Portland, OR 97209

In the old tuscany grill spot. Now open. Looks nice enough inside. They painted the building exterior and spent a couple months on remodel. I'll be checking them out tonight. When I spoke to a Cafe Mingo server previously, he mentioned that they would probably offer up some italian AND non-italian happy hour/nosh food. Has anyone else been?

Bar Mingo on Public Press
(modern signature COMING SOON)

#2 Kristi

Kristi
  • 2,043 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 03:50 PM

Bar Mingo

In the old tuscany grill spot. Now open. Looks nice enough inside. They painted the building exterior and spent a couple months on remodel. I'll be checking them out tonight. When I spoke to a Cafe Mingo server previously, he mentioned that they would probably offer up some italian AND non-italian happy hour/nosh food. Has anyone else been?

I've been wondering when they were going to open. Please do report back, I'll be curious to hear about it.

#3 GizmoCat

GizmoCat
  • Members
  • 729 posts
  • Interests:Wine, Food, Music, Travel

Posted 04 April 2008 - 08:02 PM

Bar Mingo

I've been wondering when they were going to open. Please do report back, I'll be curious to hear about it.

Me too! They closed down in September, so it will be great to hear how the new space is.

#4 truth

truth
  • Members
  • 679 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 10:09 PM

Ok I was totally wrong here! There were a bunch of people inside on thursday night, but the place was dark and closed when I went tonight. Will see if they open this weekend.

#5 truth

truth
  • Members
  • 679 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 07:04 PM

Ok I was totally wrong here! There were a bunch of people inside on thursday night, but the place was dark and closed when I went tonight. Will see if they open this weekend.

Very busy with a private party tonight. Finally a sign on the door indicating Monday the 7th opening.

#6 truth

truth
  • Members
  • 679 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 08:19 PM

Ok - Open for real now.

There are a few positive comments over on my site: Bar Mingo

Here is mine:

Went to the opening night this evening and had some very good antipasti. They are offering 7 cold and 7 hot antipasti ranging from "Mista" (marinated olives with lemon peel, toasted almonds, and pickled vegetables), to Italian Sausage with Polenta and Spinach, or Fried Potatoes with garlic, rosemary, and a fried egg (it was great). Antipasti was $7 each, 3 for $18, or 5 for $28. Lots of wine by the glass and in 1/4liter shareable servings. Very pleasant experience and will definitely be back.

#7 Angelhair

Angelhair
  • 7,660 posts
  • Interests:film, cooking, literature

Posted 23 April 2008 - 11:09 AM

We went over the weekend for cocktails. I loved the interior! The place was packed and I was scanning for a seat while my husband was parking the car. A nice man said, here, take these two seats...he said he was one of the owners and would be ashamed to make a paying customer stand!

So we sat at the bar and I order a cocktail off the menu and then a French 75. The first was very good the second was okay. When the bartender asked me how I liked the Fench 75, I told him how I make and serve mine (with Cointreau instead of simple syrup and in a champagne flute instead of a martini glass). He said thanks for the advice and I am buying that drink for you. Very nice!

Anyway, all the plates going by looked delish! Would anyone be intereted in joining me for an outing next week? Say Thursday?

#8 Amanda

Amanda
  • 7,624 posts
  • Interests:Eating, cooking, kayaking, canoeing, letterboxing

Posted 23 April 2008 - 12:27 PM

I can't do Thursday, but I would love to try it out.

Best regards,

Amanda

#9 Kristi

Kristi
  • 2,043 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 01:17 PM

AH,
Did you see if they have a happy hour?

#10 Angelhair

Angelhair
  • 7,660 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 02:51 PM

AH,
Did you see if they have a happy hour?

We were there late, so I don't know about HH. I did snag menus, though. The small plates are $7 ea., 3/$18 when ordered together. Seemed to me like two people were splitting three or four plates. They have a couple of $12 pastas on the menu as well. Cocktails were $8. Wines were $7-$9.

#11 Twitch

Twitch
  • Members
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 02:01 PM

Anyone know if they have taps, or just wine and spirits?

#12 Angelhair

Angelhair
  • 7,660 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 02:10 PM

Anyone know if they have taps, or just wine and spirits?

They did. Jeff had one, but i am now blanking on what it was.

#13 Twitch

Twitch
  • Members
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 10:40 AM

Report back: Laurelwood Boss, Trumer Pils, and Widmer Hef.

#14 concreteoatmeal

concreteoatmeal
  • Members
  • 2,004 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 03:36 PM

WAS there with SS and they had a laurelwood workhorse(?). only had the one beer, switched to wine with my food.....which is super good, liver crostini, lamb meatballs, mussels, even risotto fritters were great(im not a big fan of rice as a rule)....only thing i thought was a bit disappointing was the profitarole(i suck at spelling!). it was i a little to tough for my taste, flavor was fine, its just that i like mine a little more tender.

bonus points for the bartender(name escapes me but i recognized him as the former longtime BT at the VQ)being super cool(as always, from what i remember from the VQ). had a ridiculous 27 yr old sherry. I went into tasting it saying " i dont really like sherry, but i will try it" and left thinking "I sure do like sherry" :mellow:

btw, its such a deal for this level of food in this hood'....5 antipasto plates, 2 beers, 2 glasses of wine(way over poured mind you) 2 orders of profitaroles and a prosecco, (no charge for the sherry! :w00t: ).....76$
"If you were expecting a kick in the groin, and you get a slap in the face.......thats a win where I come from"

#15 superdog

superdog
  • Members
  • 951 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 03:28 PM

Hi All,
Ed and I wander into Bar Mingo one cold Tuesday night, and had a great experience. Very different from it's sister Cafe Mingo, and Serrato, Bar Mingo deco is modern, casual and youthful. They have plenty of small plates and a short and sweet entree list to choose from :

ANTIPASTI
$8 each
choice of three for $21 when ordered together.

BITES
$4 each
Marinated olives
Fried Marcona almonds

COLD
Salumi assorted cured meats with spicy onion relish
Cheese assorted cheese with wildflower honey and fig salami
Insalata field greens, pears, candied walnuts, walnut vinaigrette and phyllo crisp
Oysters Crudo - variety of three on the half shell with mignonette sauce
Spicy Goat Cheese - marinated in spicy tomato sauce, served iwth bruschetta
Beet Salad - beets, arugula, gorgonzola and toasted filberts

HOT
Calamari - sauteed with green onions, parsley, garlic and lemon, served with aioli and bruschetta
Sausage house made pork sausage with creamy polenta and braised greens
Chicken Livers with Marsala wine, anchovy, sage and capers on bruschetta
Potatoes fried yellow potatoes with rosemary and garlic and a fried egg
Polpettine lamb meatballs in tomato sauce flavored with oregano and mint
Crespelle - crepes filled with house made ricotta and minced salami, topped with salsa rosso

PASTA FRESCA AND SOUP
Tagliatelle with chanterelle mushrooms, garlic, red pepper flake and parmesan 14
Aglio e Olio - thin cut pasta with garlic and olive oil topped with parmesan cheese 12
Lasagna Bolognese - house made noodles with a filling of beef and pork ragu, bechamel and parmesan 15
Soup and Salad - a bowl of today's soup with a small salad 11
Panino and Salad - grilled mortadella and provolone sandwich with salad 11

ENTREES

Steak - grilled flat iron steak served with mashed potatoes, cipolline onions and a red wine reduction sauce 18
Catch of the Day the freshest fish we can get, simply prepared, market price
Mussels - Penn Cove steamed with white wine, shallots and thyme, served with bruschetta 12

DOLCE
Biscotti plate 6
Gelato affogato 6
Almond torte 6
Profiteroles with gelato and warm chocolate sauce

We opted for the $21 three antipasti plates:
Cheese assorted cheese with wildflower honey and fig salami
Polpettine lamb meatballs in tomato sauce flavored with oregano and mint
Crespelle - crepes filled with house made ricotta and minced salami, topped with salsa rosso

Cheese - exceptional cheeses and there were 3 different kinds, came with a lot of bread, we were very please with this dish. The fig salami really compliments the cheese well, especially the blue cheese for me.

Polpettine - very tasty meat balls, there were 4 of them on the plate and each about a golf ball size. Good portion, and not too much. The sauce is very simple, fresh, vibrant and the meat is not gamey at all. Another big win for us.

Crespelle - two lightly fluffy crepes fille with delicious ricotta. What a difference when you taste good ricotta. The minced salami is charred a little, and it is almost like bacon, and is a great contast to the mellow richness of ricotta. The flavor works very well together.

Ed and I are small eater, and these three antipasti plates were perfect for the both of us. We had a couple of drinks each and I think we walked out for less than $50.00 for the both of us.

http://www.barmingonw.com/home

811 NW 21st Avenue
Portland, OR 97209

503-445-4646

map locator

Hours:
7 nights from 4-12pm

Happy eating,
Ellen and Ed
Ellen @ SuperDog
superdogpdx@gmail.com

#16 SauceSupreme

SauceSupreme
  • Members
  • 991 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 03:41 PM

The chicken livers and the meatballs are my faves. Aaron makes a good negroni, too. He's formerly from Veritable Quandary.
"I'll settle for a cup of coffee, but you know what I really need." - REM

"Peel all of your layers off, I want to eat your artichoke heart." - Thom Yorke

http://lushangeles.com

#17 Kristi

Kristi
  • 2,043 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 03:54 PM

Thanks for the review, Ellen! I've been meaning to stop in there since they opened and now you've put it back on my radar.

#18 Amanda

Amanda
  • 7,624 posts
  • Interests:Eating, cooking, kayaking, canoeing, letterboxing

Posted 04 November 2008 - 03:59 PM

Hmmm...this menu looks rather delightful to me. I'd like to give it a try one of these days.

Best regards,

Amanda

#19 concreteoatmeal

concreteoatmeal
  • Members
  • 2,004 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 04:24 PM

ditto on the meatballs, and the spicy goat cheese is damn good. The crispelle seems a bit on the small side for 8$(think 4 bites). that being said, it is tasty.

also had a special of skate wing Picatta one night that was top3 fish picatta's i can remember eating.
"If you were expecting a kick in the groin, and you get a slap in the face.......thats a win where I come from"

#20 Kristi

Kristi
  • 2,043 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 04:25 PM

Hmmm...this menu looks rather delightful to me. I'd like to give it a try one of these days.

Best regards,

Amanda

Let me know when and I just might join you ;).