Photo

what's a great Sub Shop?

• Please log in to reply
178 replies to this topic

#161 jennifer

jennifer
  • 3,266 posts

Posted 01 May 2015 - 10:09 AM

Seems there are 2 things I need to try soon.  Baby Doll NY and a Roman Candle cannoli with the orange and pistachio.  Both sound like a whole lotta happy.

#162 levbarg

levbarg
  • Members
  • 244 posts

Posted 01 May 2015 - 12:46 PM

I tried a slice and a meatball sub at Baby Doll.  I felt both were fine-- in particular, I liked that the slice had a really lovely, crispy bottom that cracked when folded. I always enjoy that in a slice, and it's not easy to come by.

With regard to the meatball sub, I enjoyed the meatballs quite a lot, and I liked the bread, but this wasn't the meatball sub of my dreams.  I don't know enough about the makeup of east coast sub rolls (someone earlier mentioned that they're made with semolina-- never looked into it, so I don't know the details.  But the description-- of how the rolls needs to be able to squish up into the meatballs while still holding its shape-- that's right.  There's also a healthy layer of gooey mozzarella missing from the equation.  I might request that specifically next time-- I think that will exponentially increase my enjoyment of the sub.

Mr Taster

#163 crepeguy

crepeguy
  • Members
  • 385 posts
  • Interests:Purveyor of skinny pancakes.

Posted 01 May 2015 - 08:55 PM

I'm curious to hear what you think, crepeguy. I love Baby Doll but did not like their meatball sub at all the one time I tried it. Could have been an off night (and judging by the overwhelmingly positive response here, it sounds like it probably was).

I took a pic of the meatball sub, here's a link--sorry for the quality, (we sat outside and the lighting wasn't great):

https://instagram.co...-by=creperiepdx

OK, so the first time and last time I ate at Baby Doll was well over a year ago when they were mentioned in this article as having the #1 slice in Portland:

http://www.oregonliv...zas_by_the.html

The day the article came out, I tried the top three (I had a lot of time on my hands as I wasn't working) and felt that Handsome Pizza should have been in the #1 slot with Baby Doll coming in at #2 and agreed with the article that Escape from NY was #3.

Tonight we ate two slices of pepperoni. As far as the pizza goes, I really liked the crust: it's thin enough, crisp, slight char and a little bit of play. All the there ingredients were well apportioned, not too much cheese, just enough sauce and small, crispy slices of pepperoni. You can tell the ingredients are of good quality, but I found the flavor lacking overall. It just wasn't as good as it was in 2013 and couldn't touch the slices at Handsome Pizza before it closed a few months ago. I also first tried Baby Doll during lunch and they weren't that busy. Tonight (Friday) they were jamming with deliveries flying out the door, so that could be a factor or perhaps a different cook--I don't know. 

The meatball sub, again was comprised of fresh quality ingredients. I love the Italian roll. I felt I could have shoved the thing in my pocket, gone downtown, hit up a few bars, returned home hours later, and still the roll would not be soggy. I recall the meatball grinders of my youth being a really messy affair--this was not that kind of sandwich. This sub is way more refined. You get 4 moderately sized meatballs of (for me) perfect density. These are not crumbly, soggy balls, they're nicely packed. They used fresh parsley and parmesan which was nice, but again, I found the overall flavor lacking. (I purposefully asked them to go light on the mozzarella, but I don't think this would have made too much of a difference.) 

#164 StMaximo

StMaximo
  • Members
  • 2,702 posts

Posted 02 May 2015 - 03:02 AM

With regard to the meatball sub, I enjoyed the meatballs quite a lot, and I liked the bread, but this wasn't the meatball sub of my dreams.  I don't know enough about the makeup of east coast sub rolls (someone earlier mentioned that they're made with semolina-- never looked into it, so I don't know the details.  But the description-- of how the rolls needs to be able to squish up into the meatballs while still holding its shape-- that's right.  There's also a healthy layer of gooey mozzarella missing from the equation.  I might request that specifically next time-- I think that will exponentially increase my enjoyment of the sub.

Give the one at the Italian Market a try. It comes with provolone, but you can order it with their housemade mozzarella for an extra buck. BTW, Italian Market claims to be South Philly style.

#165 Nacho_B

Nacho_B
  • Members
  • 224 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 11:38 AM

Hola,

I've had Italian subs from a few new places (or at least new to me). It's taken me a few months, but I'm not in any kind of hurry.

Chop Butchery, NW 21st and Johnson

Their Italian sub is named "The Italian Stallion". This thing is a beast. It was loaded. I got 2 meals out of it. 1/2 would be sufficient for me, but they only sell them as a whole. Best to bring backup and/or a hearty appetite. It packs well for travel but it gets soggy with time. I still enjoyed it.

It was a very tasty sub (which they call a hoagie). It was $10. They have a nice selection of meats and pates in the butcher case and the market itself has a dangerous assortment of condiments.

http://chopbutchery.com/

Marmo, 1037 SW Morrison

This is a relatively new cafe downtown near the Library. It's a nice space, open and clean. Good lighting. It would be a good place to get some work done. It was quiet when I went in there. I had their Italian Sub. The meats, veggies, and bread were all very fresh and tasty. It was very good. It was a bit small for the price though. It was $10-11 and didn't qualify as a full lunch. Tasty though, just not a great value. It's $1 off during happy hour (3-6:30 pm).

It's a nice little spot, but maybe just a bit out of my league. I imagine their rent must be pretty high there, and they might be shooting for a higher class of patrons. It's not quite what I'm looking for, but it's a nice place. .

http://marmopdx.com/

Monk's Deli, SE 43rd + Belmont

This is a cart in the Belmont pod. They had a cubano, a cheesesteak, and a few other subs on the menu, but I went with their Italian. It was loaded. They asked if I wanted "everything" and I did. I always want everything! The meats and veggies were all fresh and very good. The highlight for me with this one (and likely the reason they ask if you want "everything") is they top it with nicely assertive pickled banana peppers. They had a mild heat and a sharp, vinegar tang. They had a good crunch too. They really brought it together. It was a good size for me and came with a bag of chips. $7.50. This was a good one. Tasty stuff.

So that's what I've been up to with subs. Still haven't been to Devil's Dill. I just don't find myself in that part of town after 5pm (or before 5pm most days for that matter). Oh well. I've been off the meatball subs lately, but maybe with the return of Autumn that will change. Tomorrow is the autumnal equinox. It's on now.

Out of the three listed here my favorite was the version from Monk's. It was the best deal and the right portions for me. That Chop sandwich was pretty awesome though. It's a beast, but super tasty.  Marmo isn't enough of a value for me to consider going back there. It would be a good spot for a business meeting, a date, or some out of town guests. It's a bar too, but I'm not much of a cocktail drinker.'Ta bien.

There are lots more subs around this place to try. You only see what you're looking for!

Good times!

Buen proecho.

#166 crepeguy

crepeguy
  • Members
  • 385 posts
  • Interests:Purveyor of skinny pancakes.

Posted 22 September 2015 - 01:44 PM

Hola,

I've had Italian subs from a few new places (or at least new to me). It's taken me a few months, but I'm not in any kind of hurry.

Chop Butchery, NW 21st and Johnson

Their Italian sub is named "The Italian Stallion". This thing is a beast. It was loaded. I got 2 meals out of it. 1/2 would be sufficient for me, but they only sell them as a whole. Best to bring backup and/or a hearty appetite. It packs well for travel but it gets soggy with time. I still enjoyed it.

It was a very tasty sub (which they call a hoagie). It was $10. They have a nice selection of meats and pates in the butcher case and the market itself has a dangerous assortment of condiments.

http://chopbutchery.com/

That's interesting as their menu on their website offers "daily special sandwiches" at whole $8 and half $4.50.

#167 Nacho_B

Nacho_B
  • Members
  • 224 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 11:51 PM

That's interesting as their menu on their website offers "daily special sandwiches" at whole $8 and half $4.50. 

Hola,

¿Qué tal?

That's a good point, and perhaps I should have been more specific. They do offer half sandwiches, and even have a paper menu on the counter to create custom sandwiches (at least they did a few months ago when I was there). That same paper menu indicated that they don't do halves on the "Italian Stallion". I guess they treat that one like a house special. It is too!

For whatever reason, they didn't offer that one as a half sandwich. At that time I wouldn't have ordered it as a half either. ¿Quien sabía?  It's a great sub. It's just more than I care to eat in one sitting these days. I'll bring backup next time.

It's also a cool meat counter, and a cool market. I just need to be mindful of my budget when I shop there (or anywhere with a well curated selection of condiments). You should check it out if you haven't yet. It's a neat place.

¡Buen provecho!

#168 josmking

josmking
  • Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 08:13 AM

So that's what I've been up to with subs. Still haven't been to Devil's Dill. I just don't find myself in that part of town after 5pm (or before 5pm most days for that matter). Oh well. I've been off the meatball subs lately, but maybe with the return of Autumn that will change. Tomorrow is the autumnal equinox. It's on now.

I went to Devil's Dill a few months ago and it was great. Had their BLT (#2) and the Tuna sandwich and something else that maybe was a special. Sandwiches were very good, prices reasonable. Their bar next door (No Fun) is great. A little punk rock but clean-ish, good food, good drinks. Not in an over the top Sizzle Pie kinda way. Just a good place to hang out and there might be Motorhead on the stereo.

Alas, as I am also almost never on Hawthorne, I will probably rarely go there. But if on Hawthorne it would be my first choice. If they put one in Overlook/Mississippi/Williams area, I would be there multiple times a week.

#169 nate

nate
  • Members
  • 412 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 10:55 AM

I had a couple sandwiches from Devil'd Dill a while ago. The late night delivery was definitely awesome. I got the braised beef (#4) and the Italian (#3). They both had a lot of promise but were held back by two things, both of which are mostly just personally preference:

1) The bread. Both were served on a ciabatta roll, which isn't usually my favorite unless it's a particularly soft version. Unless served warm, I just find most too tough for a sandwich. Sadly, this was no exception. The roll was really tough (possibly even a tad stale?), hard to bite through, and tended to squeeze the fillings out the sides and back.

2) Kale. I'll admit, I'm not a big kale fan in general. I find it to be a tad bitter at times, but those flavors can be offset with other toppings. My biggest objection is the texture. Here, it was tough, dry, and overly vegetal. If you like kale, this is your place cuz it's on half of the sandwiches, including my Italian (it's also available sautéed as a side, but I actually rather like cooked kale if well seasoned).

So, definitely your mileage may very, but the tough rolls and preponderance of raw kale are unlikely to draw me back any time soon.

#170 pwillen1

pwillen1
  • Members
  • 517 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 11:24 AM

absolutely agree. Ciabatta is a fatal flaw.

#171 polloelastico

polloelastico
  • Members
  • 2,749 posts
  • Interests:Tantric yoga and deck shuffleboard

Posted 24 September 2015 - 11:45 AM

never been to Devil's Dill, but from the photos on yelp their ciabatta seems more roll-like, and it looks usually grilled/toasted, which i would think would be fine (a square, untoasted ciabatta roll as a burger bun is one of history's greatest monsters). i'm thinking nate that you probably did get a stale bun.

i like kale, but it's no substitution for lettuce, especially in a sandwich. sure, there are kale "caesars" i've enjoyed, but i don't even consider that a caesar, just like i wouldn't consider red leaf salad a caesar.

“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” — George Carlin

#172 jennifer

jennifer
  • 3,266 posts

Posted 29 September 2015 - 07:17 AM

Hola,

¿Qué tal?

That's a good point, and perhaps I should have been more specific. They do offer half sandwiches, and even have a paper menu on the counter to create custom sandwiches (at least they did a few months ago when I was there). That same paper menu indicated that they don't do halves on the "Italian Stallion". I guess they treat that one like a house special. It is too!

For whatever reason, they didn't offer that one as a half sandwich. At that time I wouldn't have ordered it as a half either. ¿Quien sabía?  It's a great sub. It's just more than I care to eat in one sitting these days. I'll bring backup next time.

It's also a cool meat counter, and a cool market. I just need to be mindful of my budget when I shop there (or anywhere with a well curated selection of condiments). You should check it out if you haven't yet. It's a neat place.

¡Buen provecho!

This is by far my favorite Italian sub in town.  Used to go back and forth between Chop & Bunk, but Chop puts some sort of smoky meat in there that makes it great, and their high quality cheeses.  The balance of ingredients is perfect. 

We started buying these years ago when they were $7, but even at $10 now it's still a good value considering that I can split one with my H or eat half now and half later. And, after walking into a Subway last month for the first time in years and dropping $8 on total crap ingredients, Chop wins my heart over even more.

Their Frog sandwich is our 2nd favorite, country pate + dijon and I forget what else.  Huge slabs of pate.  Even their plain turkey on sourdough is great.

And yes, they don't do halves on the Italian.  It's always been that way. 

#173 Angelhair

Angelhair
  • 7,660 posts
  • Interests:film, cooking, literature

Posted 21 November 2015 - 02:52 PM

Hola,

¿Qué tal?

¡Buen provecho!

This is by far my favorite Italian sub in town.  Used to go back and forth between Chop & Bunk, but Chop puts some sort of smoky meat in there that makes it great, and their high quality cheeses.  The balance of ingredients is perfect. 

We started buying these years ago when they were $7, but even at $10 now it's still a good value considering that I can split one with my H or eat half now and half later. And, after walking into a Subway last month for the first time in years and dropping $8 on total crap ingredients, Chop wins my heart over even more.

Their Frog sandwich is our 2nd favorite, country pate + dijon and I forget what else.  Huge slabs of pate.  Even their plain turkey on sourdough is great.

And yes, they don't do halves on the Italian.  It's always been that way. 

The Italian Stallion is now my new favorite sub in town! So delicious! There is some sort of peperonata on the sandwich that I love. It is huge -- a ridiculous bargain at $10. Also tried the porchetta (served only on weekends) and that's a solid sandwich too. 

Thanks for recommending this. I've shopped at City Market for years and had no idea they made sandwiches at Chop until you posted.

#174 Adam

Adam
  • Members
  • 441 posts

Posted 22 November 2015 - 10:18 PM

Monk's Deli, SE 43rd + Belmont

This is a cart in the Belmont pod. They had a cubano, a cheesesteak, and a few other subs on the menu, but I went with their Italian. It was loaded. They asked if I wanted "everything" and I did. I always want everything! The meats and veggies were all fresh and very good. The highlight for me with this one (and likely the reason they ask if you want "everything") is they top it with nicely assertive pickled banana peppers. They had a mild heat and a sharp, vinegar tang. They had a good crunch too. They really brought it together. It was a good size for me and came with a bag of chips. $7.50. This was a good one. Tasty stuff.

Out of the three listed here my favorite was the version from Monk's. It was the best deal and the right portions for me. That Chop sandwich was pretty awesome though. It's a beast, but super tasty.  Marmo isn't enough of a value for me to consider going back there. It would be a good spot for a business meeting, a date, or some out of town guests. It's a bar too, but I'm not much of a cocktail drinker.'Ta bien.

There are lots more subs around this place to try. You only see what you're looking for!

Good times!

Buen proecho.

Tried the cheesesteak from Monk's tonight. I thought it was quite good and worth the $9 price tag. Well-grilled meat with the fat rendered enough that it isn't gristly anymore, sweet onions, and American cheese (you can get provolone or whiz, if you prefer) on a soft bun. Seems simple, but then you look at places like Shut Up and Eat or Philadelphia's that just totally get it wrong, and you grow to appreciate renditions like this even more. Just a big roll of bread and beef and salt that's very, very satisfying. Thumbs up!

Edited: Removed reference to Nacho's recommendation, as he was specifically talking about the Italian.

Adam Lindsley

This Is Pizza

#175 Perkeo

Perkeo
  • Members
  • 207 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 07:05 PM

Re:Monk's, they will be moving to Belmont Station in a week or so, following the closure of the Italian Market there :/ .

#176 jafar

jafar
  • Members
  • 561 posts

Posted 05 December 2015 - 08:51 PM

The Italian Stallion is now my new favorite sub in town! So delicious! There is some sort of peperonata on the sandwich that I love. It is huge -- a ridiculous bargain at $10. Also tried the porchetta (served only on weekends) and that's a solid sandwich too. 

Thanks for recommending this. I've shopped at City Market for years and had no idea they made sandwiches at Chop until you posted.

I finally got a chance to try the Italian Stallion, since the ladies were at a birthday party and I was tasked with delivering the furniture donation to The Community Warehouse (in the rain).

After looking forward to it since it showed up in this thread, I was a little disappointed.   I love mortadella, but I couldn't taste the paper thin cheese, one of the dry meats was a little to real for me, and the vinegar was a bit of a mess.  In spite of that, I had no trouble finishing the sandwich in one sitting

I know it's not a sub, but I miss the Italian Grinder they used to have at Sandwich Works :(

In any case, the people at City Market were extremely welcoming and helpful across the board.  Unlike some upscale grocers that shall remain nameless, I never felt like they were sizing me up to consider whether I could afford their wares (and I was dressed for hauling furniture in the rain).

The trip was still a success since I ended up with a pound of breakfast sausage links, a bottle local Arbequina olive oil and the last jar of black currant jam, which can be hard to find with more than 50% fruit.

#177 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 19 May 2016 - 01:47 PM

I submit that Geraldi's needs to be taken off the recommended list. Wow, has this place gone downhill.  When they got rid of all their locations did someone new by the one location left and keep the name?  Because it's pretty clear every aspect of it has gone downhill: shitty bread, shitty ingredients, poorly put together.  You'd probably be better off at the better sandwich chains.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#178 nate

nate
  • Members
  • 412 posts

Posted 22 May 2016 - 09:39 AM

I ate at the downtown Geraldi's before it closed (prolly about two years ago) and had one of the worst sandwiches ever. Like worse than Subway bad. Like gas station food bad. It was a chicken parm with a frozen breaded chicken patty microwaved (not even fried) with a spoonful of spaghetti sauce from a jar and a slice of generic deli provolone. When it closed, I was not sad.

#179 RM

RM
  • Members
  • 590 posts

Posted 22 May 2016 - 09:49 AM

I live about a mile from Geraldi's and we get a Spicy Geraldi at least once a month. I haven't noticed any change in quality and the same owner/manager that has been there for the last 10 years is still there. I still prefer Geraldi's sub to Firehouse, Jimmy John's, Subway, etc. YMMV.