what's a great Sub Shop?

• Please log in to reply
178 replies to this topic

#1 m5570

m5570
  • Members
  • 303 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 12:22 PM

I'm not looking for chains (Q's, Subwat, BTH, etc.). I'm not really looking for deli's either. Just a good old school sub shop..... (like the place that used to be where Fire On The Mountain is at).

I'm also looking for who does a great meatball sub.

I've been looking and I've seen some mentions of places like Tribute's, The Beaverton Sub Station and Michael's Italian Beef and Sausage Co.

In Vancouver or near Swan Island would be best if you know something in those areas.

Also, if they have a website, can you please post the link?

#2 Angelhair

Angelhair
  • 7,660 posts
  • Interests:film, cooking, literature

Posted 31 March 2008 - 12:34 PM

Have you tried Tributes on NW 23rd and Kearny? It has been a couple of years since I have been it, but they used to be pretty good.

http://maps.google.c...779923460640234

#3 chefken

chefken
  • Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 12:47 PM

Tributes and Michael's are pretty decent. So is Viande when they have meatballs as a special. Michael's also makes their own sausages, and they're not bad at all.

The problem is the bread - No one here makes good, NYC semolina bread, which is the gold standard for saucy hero sandwiches. Chewy enough that it doesn't fall apart from the sauce, but not so firm that the meatballs or sausage pop out the side. It's everywhere in the Big Apple, and nowhere else that I know of.

Most of the meatballs around here, as well, have too much meat in them. They need enough filler that they're soft, and crush into the bread.
signature

#4 ribster22

ribster22
  • Members
  • 494 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 02:20 PM

I agree with Ken, the bread and the balls ain't right.

Grant's for Phillys.

Tributes is 2nd for Philly's in my book. They also have a great roast pork sandwich.

New York Sub Shop on Alder. I've only eaten there once but I really liked it.

I like Michael's.

I had the Italian beef at Wayne's Red Hot's and liked the meat better than Michael's. It's sliced thinner. I did think it needed sauteed peppers but didn't think to see if they were an option when I was in there.

Good meatball subs are a slice of heaven.

#5 chefken

chefken
  • Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 03:46 PM

Amen to that!
signature

#6 averilpdx

averilpdx
  • Members
  • 319 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 04:12 PM

Ciao Vito is not a sub shop, but they do have a meatball sandwich on their Happy Hour menu that is supposed to be very good- and it's inexpensive (although not very large) Ok- it's not a sub shop, nor is it in Vancouver, nor do I eat meat (have only heard the opinions of others w/ whom I've dined) - but despite all of the disclaimers it might be worth checking it out...

#7 Perkeo

Perkeo
  • Members
  • 207 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 06:53 PM

Stark Naked is my choice for meatball subs, had one last friday night, loved it. I hear that Eugenio's on division does a nice one, haven't tried it yet though...

#8 Calabrese

Calabrese

Desaparecido

• Banned
  • 5,970 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 07:14 PM

The meatball subs at the Gardent State cart in Sellwood would be worth trying.

#9 tsw51

tsw51
  • Members
  • 344 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 08:47 AM

I dug them too but they closed their Portland location. They still have shops in the Gorge and Bend though.
Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not. - The Lorax

#10 ribster22

ribster22
  • Members
  • 494 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 08:53 AM

I dug them too but they closed their Portland location. They still have shops in the Gorge and Bend though.

Say it ain't so!

Thanks for the info though.

#11 ASquared

ASquared
  • Members
  • 445 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 08:55 AM

There is a new hole-in-the-wall sub shop on Hawthorne(somewhere in the upper 40's, low 50's) in the mini-mall type setup that Hawthorne Liquor is in. Any one tried it yet?

#12 ribster22

ribster22
  • Members
  • 494 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 11:07 AM

Anybody tried Bruchi's in Vancouver?

http://www.bruchis.com/menu.html

Looks like no meatballs.

#13 Nacho_B

Nacho_B
  • Members
  • 224 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 06:15 PM

Hola chiflados,

I have been thinking about meatball subs for some time lately. Much of that is due to some postings on this board, some of it is because of the season, and some of it is inexplicable. I’ve been reading the postings in other threads, but this old thread seems the most appropriate place to post this.

¡Let’s talk about meatball subs!

Some of the most mentioned meatball subs from the other threads on this board seem to be (alphabetically):

Bunk Sandwiches (and Bunk Bar)
621 SE Madison (and SE Water+Taylor)

Garden State
4233 N. Mississippi

Kenny and Zuke’s SandwichWorks
2376 NW Thuman

Michael’s Italian Beef and Sausage Co.
1111SE Sandy

I haven’t eaten at Garden State (only because I’m rarely in that part of town), but have completely enjoyed the others. I’m crazy for strong, bold cheese…and the provolone at SandwichWorks is that stuff. Bunk’s version is awesome (as well as messy and difficult to eat), and Michael’s is excellent too (especially “pizza style”). I don't have any favorites there for the particular meatballs nor the entire sub overall. Good stuff all around.

There’s already been a lot of talk about the above places, and there will always room for more.

Two other versions that I’ve recently enjoyed…

Eastmoreland Market & Kitchen
3616 SE Knapp
Their meatball hero is as good as everything else they make. Their muffuletta has gotten some love (rightly so), but their meatball sub is also worthwhile (and other menu items too).

Eugenio’s
3594 SE Division
This place is really small, and has a great meatball sub. It's a large sub, and I had to resort to the knife/fork provided. The sub cost $10, which is the only price that I mention here because it was noticeably higher than the rest. I honestly don’t remember what I paid for the other places listed above. This was a good one, and quite tasty and satisfying, although it was $10.

Some places with meatball subs that I haven’t tried yet (but plan to)

Geraldi’s
518 SW 4th Ave (and some Westside locations too).
I don’t know if all these locations are directly affiliated. They share the same logo, but some areas on the Geraldi’s website aren’t functioning to verify this.

People’s Pig
SW 9th+ Alder
I read a review in another of these threads about a fine meatball sub from here, although the People’s pig website indicates the menu changes daily. The meatball may or may not be an option at any given time.

Here are some places that I was surprised to find do not have meatball subs:

Flying Pie Pizza
7804 SE Stark
How can these folks not have a meatball sub? (However, their “house special sub” is a pretty close substitute).

Meat Cheese Bread
1406 SE Stark
No meatball sub?

People’s Sandwich of Portland
53 NW 1st
I haven’t been here yet, but I thought they would have a version. Perhaps that sandwich is a bit too bourgeois.

I had always assumed that all pizza places and sandwich shops would offer a version of a meatball sub. That seemed like a natural extension of their business (a business I have never worked in, mind you). My recent local search for these subs has caused me to reassess that assumption.

So what do you folks think about meatball subs?

My list is by no means complete (and specifically excludes chain fast food offerings). Who else has some tasty meatball subs in this area?

Also, if you have any thoughts on why a place does (or does not) include a meatball sub in their menu offerings, I’d be interested to hear your thoughts on the matter.

¡Buen provecho!

#14 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 30 March 2011 - 10:23 PM

Nice rundown. I don't think MCB does any subs. They don't carry that kind of bread. They're closer to what the upscale bakeries do are what upscale restaurants tend to do if they have lunch hours.

One class of meatballs you forgot, though, are the banh mi meatball sandwiches. Certainly a different animal, but still quite delicious.

Not sure if they're really worth adding, but Tribute's and Beaverton Sub Station both have them and they're not chain places shipping in frozen balls.

I don't know what the status of NY NY is, maybe some of the westside bitchandmoaners can update. But that'd be one worth putting on the list maybe.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#15 anotherdavid

anotherdavid
  • Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 08:57 AM

how about Philadelphia's in Sellwood and West Linn for steaks and hoagies?

#16 Angelhair

Angelhair
  • 7,660 posts
  • Interests:film, cooking, literature

Posted 31 March 2011 - 09:02 AM

thanks for making my lunch plans for me, Nacho_B! All I want right now is a meatball sub!

#17 Flynn

Flynn
  • Secondary Admin
  • 3,681 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 09:03 AM

Spirit of 77 does a meatball sub with provolone piccante.

#18 Flynn

Flynn
  • Secondary Admin
  • 3,681 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 09:07 AM

One class of meatballs you forgot, though, are the banh mi meatball sandwiches. Certainly a different animal, but still quite delicious.

Jade Teahouse has the best of those. Probably the only banh mi above $4 that I really like.

#19 concreteoatmeal

concreteoatmeal
  • Members
  • 2,004 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 09:20 AM

Jade Teahouse has the best of those. Probably the only banh mi above $4 that I really like.

"above $4.." might be a bit misleading. Yes, it is above $4..... by 75%!? $7 banh mi=$4 taco. we all know better.
"If you were expecting a kick in the groin, and you get a slap in the face.......thats a win where I come from"

#20 Egads

Egads
  • Members
  • 615 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 09:39 AM

For the price of one meatball banh mi at Jade, you can get TWO of the meatball hum bao, which is easily one of the best things on their menu. Mmmmmmmmm....and now I'm hungry.