• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 LadyConcierge

LadyConcierge

Food is good

• Members
  • 1,534 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 08:39 PM

Soon to open in the John Ross down at the South Waterfront. Here's the website - you can check out the menu for their Seattle location.

http://www.bambuza.com/index.html

I'll be glad to have another option down here besides Le Hana and Bella Espresso.

#2 tonyajonemiller

tonyajonemiller
  • Members
  • 383 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 09:00 AM

Oh man that menu looks good, if a wee bit spendy for Vietnamese. Of course, it looks like it has a bit more going on in the decor and ambiance department than most, and sometimes I like the way pho looks in non-fluorescent light. Heh. Any idea when they're opening, LC?
Tonya (NSFW)
Chef Crush...Because I heart cooks...

#3 LadyConcierge

LadyConcierge

Food is good

• Members
  • 1,534 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 02:18 PM

I'm going to the sneak peek next Saturday, so I'll find out more then. I'll see if I can take some pics of the food, too.

#4 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,345 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 29 March 2008 - 05:04 PM

Reviews of the Seattle location seem mixed. Could be a price thing.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#5 jennifer

jennifer
  • 3,266 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 09:04 PM

Reviews of the Seattle location seem mixed. Could be a price thing.

No, we ate here two years ago and I remember Max and I giving it mixed reviews as well. Things could very well have improved since then, but I remember thinking it wasn't nearly as good as Slanted Door in SF was at that time, and they did some things on par with Pho Van. It's like when a place is "almost" great, that just a few tweaks here and there, and then it'd be fantastic. The decor was so similar in feel to Pho Van downtown at that time, that we even wondered if they were the same owners (they're not). Service was good.

Their current menu sure looks great. I'll definitely give it another try when they open here. I really want it to be great!

#6 Vince

Vince
  • Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 10:27 PM

I'll be glad to have another option down here besides Le Hana and Bella Espresso.

Hey, saw you at the grand opening party. I thought the food was pretty good - from what I could tell eating standing up with a bunch of people in the place. Looks like Silk has some serious competition now.

#7 LadyConcierge

LadyConcierge

Food is good

• Members
  • 1,534 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 11:24 AM

I saw you, too, right as we were leaving.

I can't believe how many people were in there. Because of the crowdedness, we were only there for 20 minutes or so and I only tried the salad rolls (gỏi cuốn mặn), crispy spring rolls (chả gi mặn), b l lốt and fried shrimp. Both rolls were great - I missed the dipping sauce, tho. The salad rolls had a generous portion of herbs. I did not like the b l lốt though - too dry and bitter. I don't know if I've ever had them before, so it might just be my taste. The fried shrimp had a little bit too much batter, but it was tasty and hot.

I'm excited to try the rest of the menu. They are also going to be open for lunch (take-out only) with a limited menu, including bahn mi! Should be opening Tuesday.

#8 Vince

Vince
  • Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 01:18 PM

Both rolls were great - I missed the dipping sauce, tho. The salad rolls had a generous portion of herbs. I did not like the b l lốt though - too dry and bitter. I don't know if I've ever had them before, so it might just be my taste. The fried shrimp had a little bit too much batter, but it was tasty and hot.

I'm excited to try the rest of the menu. They are also going to be open for lunch (take-out only) with a limited menu, including bahn mi! Should be opening Tuesday.

Okay, I'm pretty impressed with your knowledge of Vietnamese food. <_<

I agree, the rolls were good. The bo la lot was pretty bland to me also. I'll have to go there for lunch or banh mi. You're right, it's just good to have another choice besides La Hana.

#9 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,345 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 02:01 PM

Bo lo lot shouldn't be dry or bitter. I'm sensitive to bitter and it's one of my favorite Vietnamese dishes. And it's a sausage. So it shouldn't be dry.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#10 LadyConcierge

LadyConcierge

Food is good

• Members
  • 1,534 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 05:57 PM

Both rolls were great - I missed the dipping sauce, tho. The salad rolls had a generous portion of herbs. I did not like the b l lốt though - too dry and bitter. I don't know if I've ever had them before, so it might just be my taste. The fried shrimp had a little bit too much batter, but it was tasty and hot.

Okay, I'm pretty impressed with your knowledge of Vietnamese food. <_<

I agree, the rolls were good. The bo la lot was pretty bland to me also. I'll have to go there for lunch or banh mi. You're right, it's just good to have another choice besides La Hana.

Don't be too impressed - I cut and pasted from their online menu! :think:

#11 Vince

Vince
  • Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 01:49 PM

I had the lemon grass beef banh mi today. It was good.

Double the price ($5) of what you normally pay, but I'll pay more for a premium banh mi anyday.

#12 LadyConcierge

LadyConcierge

Food is good

• Members
  • 1,534 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 07:56 PM

I'll try it tomorrow.

How was the bread?

#13 Vince

Vince
  • Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 08:27 PM

How was the bread?

I don't remember. :)

But the lemongrass beef was good, and overall it was a nice premium banh mi. I don't like the ones where they put all the cheap ingredients in it. Except if it's pork roll, then that's fine (cause you can't really mess that up).

#14 LadyConcierge

LadyConcierge

Food is good

• Members
  • 1,534 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 11:27 AM

Had the lemongrass beef bahn mi and the green papaya salad. The bread was awesome and crispy crusty outside and the beef was flavorful if a teensy bit tough. It had lots of cilantro, carrots and daikon, not enough jalepenos for me, tho. There was a little too much mayo on there. I don't know if that is the norm. The mayo is made in-house according to the menu, and tasted good. The whole combination was tasty and filling. I agree that it is a 'premium' bahn mi in size and value.

The papaya salad was really good, too. It came with 4 "Tiger Prawns" on a skewer (I would call them 3-inch shrimp), crushed peanuts, fried shallots and basil and cilantro in a fish-saucy lime vinaigrette. It was a very generous portion, but at $6.50 I hope so. I have half of it left over, making it a good deal for me.

#15 Vince

Vince
  • Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 12:48 PM

Yeah, you probably have to order it with light mayo and extra jalapenos. These banh mi places tend to over do it with the mayo.

I had the meatball pho. It was pretty good . . fragrant. Though I'm just happy there's a pho place close by now (and open late).

#16 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,345 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 01:01 PM

Anyone have the 411 as the kids say? I can't find even a phone number anywhere. Hours? Also, what's the parking situation down there?

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#17 Angelhair

Angelhair
  • 7,660 posts
  • Interests:film, cooking, literature

Posted 09 April 2008 - 01:43 PM

Here's what I can find: http://southwaterfro...vietnam-bistro/

And it's right next door to this: http://www.lehana.com/news/index.php

There is loads of parking down there.

#18 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,345 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 02:14 PM

Yeah, I found that first one via Google, but I was afraid it was someone's personal phone number or something.

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#19 LadyConcierge

LadyConcierge

Food is good

• Members
  • 1,534 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 09:41 PM

I think that that number is the actual restaurant number. I'll post tomorrow when I have the menu in front of me.

#20 LadyConcierge

LadyConcierge

Food is good

• Members
  • 1,534 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 07:43 AM

Bambuza
3682 SW Bond Ave @ Gaines St.
503-206-6330

Open Mon-Thurs 10am-9pm
Fri-Sat 10am-10pm
Closed Sun