Tanuki

• Please log in to reply
1366 replies to this topic

#41 katez0r

katez0r
  • Members
  • 702 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 08:15 AM

We also enjoyed trying some new-to-us herbs, and flavors.

Do you know if they have fresh shiso?

I looked it up, and we did have shiso with the skewers. She serves the skewers with a delicious little herb salad.

#42 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 29 March 2008 - 05:13 PM

Had a friend in town and we did a little noshing around town and included Tanuki. Hard to limit the ordering. We got the boar skewers, the soba, rafutei ssam, soba, and sashimi. All was terrific again.

The menu had changed up. No andasu. She was doing a benedict: "yoshuku bedict...Grilled Ken's bread, salmon sashimi, dashi poached egg, miso hollandaise...7." Had a taste of the hollandaise on Ken's bread. Decadent to say the least. Like a miso flavored cheese sauce or something. Very plate lickable. Also had a curry rice dish on the menu for $8.

A friend had gone in earlier on my rec and ordered the rafutei ssam and loved it. I think that dish is the killer app...er...entree. I haven't talked to anyone yet who hasn't loved it. Maybe someone who likes really mild, subtle flavors will find it too bold. Because it's all about the balance of bold flavors. Terrific. I hope that never disappears from the menu. I'll get it every time I go and it's rare that I do that.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#43 Quo Vadis

Quo Vadis
  • Members
  • 1,854 posts
  • Interests:You live to serve this ship<br />So serve well, and live<br />-Ben Hur

Posted 29 March 2008 - 05:41 PM

Anyone have the hours for dinner? Thinking of going there next Tuesday, but not sure if they open after 8:00 pm.

Thx,
Ellen

For now, Tue-Sat noon-9...expanded hrs to come w/ liquor license (yay!)
Methinks I am like a man, who having struck on many shoals, and having narrowly escap'd shipwreck in passing a small frith, has yet the temerity to put out to sea in the same leaky weather-beaten vessel, and even carries his ambition so far as to think of compassing the globe under these disadvantageous circumstances-Hume

#44 Twitch

Twitch
  • Members
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 06:35 PM

killer app...er...entree

;)

#45 Quo Vadis

Quo Vadis
  • Members
  • 1,854 posts
  • Interests:You live to serve this ship<br />So serve well, and live<br />-Ben Hur

Posted 29 March 2008 - 06:39 PM

Oops my edit so did not work...

During soft opening we close the kitchen at 9... so if you're in by 8:50 or so you're golden.... unless we run out of food... not a huge problem but freshness is key to me and business is still up and down (we got an early lunch slam today and I had to change the menu for dinner).

Re: rafutei...
It will remain in varying forms... with the condiments changing with what I find and what I grow... for those unfamiliar w/rafutei it is Okinawan of Korean influence.. and the condiments are not unlike panchan... limitless potential.

In a few weeks though I will probably switch the cut of pork from belly to cheek though... as it will go better with the stuff coming in season.

Thanks for all the feedback everyone...
...I am really enjoying this "soft opening" phase and having the opportunity to serve my customers personally. While it can't last as a one man band forever I am hoping to be the place for people who want an unhurried old school aka chochin experience. Thanks for the support.
Methinks I am like a man, who having struck on many shoals, and having narrowly escap'd shipwreck in passing a small frith, has yet the temerity to put out to sea in the same leaky weather-beaten vessel, and even carries his ambition so far as to think of compassing the globe under these disadvantageous circumstances-Hume

#46 superdog

superdog
  • Members
  • 951 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 09:59 PM

Anyone have the hours for dinner? Thinking of going there next Tuesday, but not sure if they open after 8:00 pm.

Thx,
Ellen

For now, Tue-Sat noon-9...expanded hrs to come w/ liquor license (yay!)

Thx, I hurry my a** up and come in on Tuesday night. F*** mopping the floor he he he he he!

Cheers,
Ellen
Ellen @ SuperDog
superdogpdx@gmail.com

#47 superdog

superdog
  • Members
  • 951 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 09:11 PM

Hi All,
I want to visit Tanuki this Tuesday, I will do my best to get there no later than 8:15 pm (my shop close at 7:30 pm). Anyone interested? Please see discussion of Tanuki at link below.

http://portlandfood....s...ost&p=83646

Hope to hear from ya!
Ellen
Ellen @ SuperDog
superdogpdx@gmail.com

#48 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 31 March 2008 - 12:01 AM

Don't know my schedule yet, but I might.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#49 LadyConcierge

LadyConcierge

Food is good

• Members
  • 1,534 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 06:50 AM

I might, too!

#50 Twitch

Twitch
  • Members
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 01:56 PM

Could someone please tell me many skewers to an order, or perhaps a better question would be how many orders to a meal?

#51 katez0r

katez0r
  • Members
  • 702 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 02:12 PM

Could someone please tell me many skewers to an order, or perhaps a better question would be how many orders to a meal?

Two small skewers. For me, two orders would be a meal. The herb salad they come with is really excellent as well, along with the few different sauces served. so good.

#52 Twitch

Twitch
  • Members
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 09:45 PM

I also might!

#53 Quo Vadis

Quo Vadis
  • Members
  • 1,854 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 05:34 AM

Since either myself or my business partner will be serving you we are happy to give guidance in portions. We have a couple things that are quite large and filling (rafutei, soba) and the rest are meant as smaller share style plates. Plus the experience lends itself to ordering as you go...

#54 Angelhair

Angelhair
  • 7,660 posts
  • Interests:film, cooking, literature

Posted 01 April 2008 - 06:58 AM

EDIT: Jeff and I will be there by 8:15. We're going to grab a drink first at M Bar if anyone wants to join us. We'll be at M Bar (next door) at, like, 7 ish.

#55 superdog

superdog
  • Members
  • 951 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 12:16 PM

See you, Angelhair and Mr. Hair there tonight at 8:15 pm, hope I find parking. ExtraMSG, LC and Twitch, hope to see you'all there too.

Cheers,
Ellen
Ellen @ SuperDog
superdogpdx@gmail.com

#56 Twitch

Twitch
  • Members
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 02:57 PM

I'm not gonna make it, sorry guys.

#57 Twitch

Twitch
  • Members
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 06:57 PM

Oh yeah, take pics please :lol:

#58 LadyConcierge

LadyConcierge

Food is good

• Members
  • 1,534 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 09:09 PM

Have to catch ya next time, I was in a mac-n-cheese mood. :P

#59 Angelhair

Angelhair
  • 7,660 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 06:19 AM

Oh, I don't think anyone took pics. I really liked Tanuki. Great menu. I'll leave it to Nick to detail what we ordered. But my favorites were the sashimi (specifically the scallop) and the pot-roasty wrap thingy.

#60 Angelhair

Angelhair
  • 7,660 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 08:21 AM

Oh, I don't think anyone took pics. I really liked Tanuki. Great menu. I'll leave it to Nick to detail what we ordered. But my favorites were the sashimi (specifically the scallop) and the pot-roasty wrap thingy.

The wrap thingy was called "Rafutei ssam… Okinawan awamori braised pork belly with chive crepes & lettuce for wrapping served w/pickles and condiments…12 platter or single ssam…5"

The boar skewers were also pretty good.

I also want to add that we seriously feasted, I mean we ate a ton, and it came out to like $20 per person.