Are dogs allowed in restaurants

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 MILKMAN

MILKMAN
  • Members
  • 409 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 06:58 PM

I thought it was up to the owners to make that call but an employee of mind told me it was against the law?
Stuart Herold Welcome To Wine Down

#2 Cat Lancaster

Cat Lancaster
  • 2,524 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 07:08 PM

This thread was created four times within a minute or so - I've deleted the other three.

Cat
"travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" ~ Mark Twain

"I'm not a picky eater, but I'm picky about what I eat." ~ Me

#3 greycoral

greycoral
  • Members
  • 188 posts
  • Interests:my two pups, riding my bike, trying new foods

Posted 16 March 2008 - 07:22 PM

pretty sure it's against health code unless its a service dog.
--Coral

#4 GizmoCat

GizmoCat
  • Members
  • 729 posts
  • Interests:Wine, Food, Music, Travel

Posted 16 March 2008 - 07:47 PM

pretty sure it's against health code unless its a service dog.

I know that when I was working at a winery, we were told no pets in the winery as we also had food on occasion. The Health Dept said it was a no no.

Grocery stores only allow service animals (although I have seen a few people in them carrying their "fru-fru dogs" against the rules.

#5 MILKMAN

MILKMAN
  • Members
  • 409 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 08:55 PM

This thread was created four times within a minute or so - I've deleted the other three.

Cat

Wow Cat are you serious? That's really weird.

Anyway I have been looking on the internet most say there are alot of restaurants that will allow dogs in, I was sure that a few months ago they said it was descretion of the owners. Maybe it was all a dream.
Stuart Herold Welcome To Wine Down

#6 concreteoatmeal

concreteoatmeal
  • Members
  • 2,004 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 10:24 PM

what about lucky lab? does there have to be a designated area? and if so, cant you designate the whole place an animal area?
"If you were expecting a kick in the groin, and you get a slap in the face.......thats a win where I come from"

#7 Calabrese

Calabrese

Desaparecido

• Banned
  • 5,970 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 03:32 AM

http://www.oregon.go...ionrulesweb.pdf Section 6-501.115 seems to address the questions in this thead. And service dogs are excepted from the normal rules. From my reading, the word premises seems to imply that even outdoor dining with dogs might not be allowed. On the other hand a lot of places in Oregon (not just PDX) have allowed dogs in outdoor dining areas for a good long time.

#8 keittiomestari

keittiomestari
  • Members
  • 295 posts
  • Interests:Life, food history, organic chemistry, wines, distilling, music

Posted 17 March 2008 - 06:45 AM

Hmm, after reading that I am a bit unclear as to what the line is. In the same section (B of 6-501.115) it states that they can be in an area where as long as things dont get contaminated and such THEN it brings up the service dogs as if to make an exception for them in places like the kitchen. Its one of those things the more you read the more you get confused!
Its kind of odd in some ways really if you think of it. So many places have patio seating and such, some even have outside grills ETC( or food carts), and what is to stop a bunch of inquisitive pigeons from coming right up and proceed to shit all over the place? Or if it is some outdoor cooking area the smells and such to attract feral cats, dogs, raccoons and such.
Speaking of birdshit... if you are sitting outside and have an evening coctail or something to eat AND some birds do fly over and your foodstuff gets nailed do you expect the restaurant to give you new or?
Kiippis!

#9 chefken

chefken
  • Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 06:54 AM

As much as I love dogs, they shed, sometimes smell (especially when wet - a rare occurance in Oregon), occasionally bark and sniff passerbys, often lick and scratch their genitals, and don't belong in restaurants.

Hmm...Is this a sub-thread of the children in restaurants discussion?

I especially like it when their owners tie them up outside the restaurant window (their dogs, not children), where they can see their owner enjoying a nice meal while the dog is forced to sit drooling and whining and watching them eat. Should be classified as cruelty to animals, IMO.
signature