Photo

Garden State

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#61 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,144 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 04:16 PM

I think the one at MM opens at noon...and I think they may be closed Mon. and Tues. Open until 7pm; 5pm on Sunday.

Don't know about the Sellwood location.
Never give up! Never surrender!

#62 BigDaddy

BigDaddy
  • Members
  • 811 posts
  • Interests:Poker, reading, disability rights, nonalcoholic beverages, longtime friend of Bill W.

Posted 10 June 2010 - 02:54 PM

The menus are essentially the same, hours in Sellwood are from 11-3, but they were thinking of opening at 9 or thereabouts on weekends to serve the families in that area. The burger is available at Sellwood, I'll have to try it one of the days I can eat something bad for me. Darn those doctors.

#63 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 13 June 2010 - 01:13 AM

Posted Image

Stopped in at the Sellwood cart today to try the burger.

Posted Image

Missed the chickpea fries on the menu, so I just got the burger by itself. It does come with some delicious, spicy giardiniera on the side.

Posted Image

Burger comes with provolone piccante, pickled red onions, lettuce, and calabrian chile aioli. You can also add pancetta, which I did, of course. I'm interested to know where they get their bun. It's a brioche bun, I think, kind of sweet and eggy, with a soft but substantial texture. However, it's in the shape of a kaiser roll. It has a nice buttery top, too.

Posted Image

I wasn't asked how I wanted my burger cooked. It came medium well. I'd like to get one medium. The patty was lightly seasoned and charred. The burger comes together great, a balance of intense flavors: the sweet bun, the ultra-tart and moderately spicy onions, the sharp cheese, the sweet and salty bacon, and the spicy mayo.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#64 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,144 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 11:11 AM

I liked the burger we shared at Mississippi Marketplace last week on our crawl, but I liked the roast pork sandwich better. And as much as I like the chick pea fries, I adore the rice balls. And the new cheese puffs are kinda neat, too.
Never give up! Never surrender!

#65 BigDaddy

BigDaddy
  • Members
  • 811 posts
  • Interests:Poker, reading, disability rights, nonalcoholic beverages, longtime friend of Bill W.

Posted 17 June 2010 - 12:22 PM

Sellwood hours are now 11:00A-3:30P M, W, Th, F; 9A-3:30P Sat/Sun, closed Tuesdays. Phone number is 503-705-5273.
The rolls come from Fleur de Lys bakery, and they're still trying to decide if they'll use a kaiser or ciabatta for the weekend breakfast. The breakfast sandwiches will be ham and egg, pancetta and egg, or arugala and egg. All will have fresh basil and roasted red pepper.

The burger is really good, a bit overcooked for my preferences, but juicy and the bun holds out beautifully.

#66 jafar

jafar
  • Members
  • 561 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 09:10 PM

I liked the burger we shared at Mississippi Marketplace last week on our crawl, but I liked the roast pork sandwich better. And as much as I like the chick pea fries, I adore the rice balls. And the new cheese puffs are kinda neat, too.

The rice balls were the best thing on the crawl.

Hopefully this post sticks. I tried the other day but failed. Maybe I wasn't logged in?

#67 billb

billb
  • Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 01:57 PM

Went down to the Sellwood cart today for my weekly GS fix and was sad to see a sign up that after 9/4 Garden State in Sellwood is no more... Kevin said that he is adding the Sellwood cart as a second cart at Mississippi with more meat inspired, less "sandwichy" options. While I'll be sad to see Garden State leave the 'hood, I am sure that the "new" cart will be worth the trek up to NOPO.

#68 nervousxtian

nervousxtian
  • Members
  • 2,128 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 03:16 PM

Wife and I stopped by the Mississippi pod cart today. I got the burger with a side of arancini, and the wife got the meatball sandwich. Burger was pretty darn good, but honestly for $9 (w/ pancetta) it really should come with a legit side. Patty came out what I'd call medium well, but was seasoned really well, toppings were good quality, but might have had a bit too much of the red onion or used a more assertive cheese to counter it.. but I was happy.

Even better was the meatball sandwich the wife got, just really good.

Kids shared a brioche, nutella and bacon sandwich from the egg cart next door.. nutella and bacon make a pretty damn good combo.

#69 Adam

Adam
  • Members
  • 441 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 10:48 AM

From the WW:

In sadder cart news, Garden State is for sale. The four-year-old “Italian street food” cart, which currently resides at the Mississippi Marketplace pod, is for sale on Craigslist. Although the ad states that neither the business nor its recipes are for sale, it remains unclear whether Garden State will live on in a different vehicle or form. “I’ll be cooking still, but in a different capacity,” is all owner and chef Kevin Sandri told WW. Garden State was WW’s 2010 Eat Mobile festival judges’ choice award winner.

http://www.wweek.com...e_lir_cart.html

Adam Lindsley

This Is Pizza

#70 Calabrese

Calabrese

Desaparecido

• Banned
  • 5,970 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 11:21 AM

Sad news in deed, unless he lands a brick and mortar location.

#71 pyrofemme

pyrofemme
  • Members
  • 380 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 01:05 PM

More info from Food Carts Portland

http://www.foodcarts...oing-on-hiatus/