Garden State

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#21 sylvan

sylvan
  • Members
  • 311 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 08:06 AM

I don't think the cart is open past 3, they do close earlier if it's nice.

The only new place on that drag is a music/guitar shop called 'MusiQal PDX'. Drive that road all the time and I'm not seeing a pizzicito or a count down sign. 'A Cena' is a very authentic Italian name and has been open for months - you don't mean that one, Twitch?

#22 Pickled Delight

Pickled Delight
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 09:04 AM

Live right off of 13th, and yes indeed there is a new restaurant opening called Picazzo's. It's down close to Tacoma on the left-hand side (going south). I think it's next to Chrisman's Framing.

It's a sort of chain from what I can tell on the web site. Here is the web site (taken from a menu that was on display in the window). http://www.picazzos.com/

From their countdown --- They'll be open in early April.

#23 sylvan

sylvan
  • Members
  • 311 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 02:06 PM

Live right off of 13th, and yes indeed there is a new restaurant opening called Picazzo's. It's down close to Tacoma on the left-hand side (going south). I think it's next to Chrisman's Framing.

It's a sort of chain from what I can tell on the web site. Here is the web site (taken from a menu that was on display in the window). http://www.picazzos.com/

From their countdown --- They'll be open in early April.

Thanks for the info, we must have missed it. Huh, it looks like most of their stores are in Arizona - http://www.picazzos..../locations.html Well, we can talk about it in it's own thread, if it ever gets one.

#24 Calabrese

Calabrese

Desaparecido

• Banned
  • 5,970 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 01:34 PM

We hit the cart for the second time today. Jill-O got the chick pea sandwich. Very good. I got the fried trio. This time I got the arancini with cheese and chard. I like the cheese filled far better. There was also a smaller ball of deep fried mashed potatoes with fresh rosemary and parsley. Cozilla, if I remember. Those were really delicious the balance of the aromatics was unbelievable. The chef/owner said he'd picked up everything in the cozilla this morning at the Farmer's Market. There was another deep fried potato offering (looked like fries but also mashed and containing seasoning) called panzilla I think. This was my least favorite of the three but not bad. I had a traditional Italian San Pelligrino limonata (less sweet and less fizzy than the US bottling) to wash down my lunch. There was plenty of lemon with the fried food. I am going to be looking for reasons to visit Sellwood on Saturdays.

$12 bucks for the items above.

#25 Flynn

Flynn
  • Secondary Admin
  • 3,681 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 01:40 PM

Last weekend, I had the grilled chicken sandwich with plenty of fresh arugula and a goat cheese spread. Yum..I was very gruntled.

Kevin, the owner, put forth that he will start doing the devil's chicken (chicken grilled with black peppercorns and dried red peppers) again when the sun comes out and he can grill it behind the cart. I'm eager to check it out.

#26 Calabrese

Calabrese

Desaparecido

• Banned
  • 5,970 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 01:46 PM

Last weekend, I had the grilled chicken sandwich with plenty of fresh arugula and a goat cheese spread. Yum..I was very gruntled.

I'd have liked to try that sandwich but Jill-O hates goat cheese and we usually share our meals out.

#27 Twitch

Twitch
  • Members
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 07:31 PM

That sandwich sounds heavenly. Are they still on reduced hours?

#28 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,144 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 06:46 AM

We hit the cart for the second time today. Jill-O got the chick pea sandwich. Very good. I got the fried trio. This time I got the arancini with cheese and chard. I like the cheese filled far better. There was also a smaller ball of deep fried mashed potatoes with fresh rosemary and parsley. Cozilla, if I remember. Those were really delicious the balance of the aromatics was unbelievable. The chef/owner said he'd picked up everything in the cozilla this morning at the Farmer's Market. There was another deep fried potato offering (looked like fries but also mashed and containing seasoning) called panzilla I think. This was my least favorite of the three but not bad. I had a traditional Italian San Pelligrino limonata (less sweet and less fizzy than the US bottling) to wash down my lunch. There was plenty of lemon with the fried food. I am going to be looking for reasons to visit Sellwood on Saturdays.

$12 bucks for the items above.

The cazilli definitely were the best - fluffy inside and crispy outside. The arancini were filled with mozzarella and broccolini. The panzelle were actually chick pea fries.

The chick pea sandwich was very good. It had a nice slab of squash and a carrot slaw and some greens that were dressed in a very garlicky dressing on top. It was on a ciabatta-like hero roll. Definitely enough for 2 to share.
Never give up! Never surrender!

#29 Amanda

Amanda
  • 7,626 posts
  • Interests:Eating, cooking, kayaking, canoeing, letterboxing

Posted 06 April 2008 - 06:51 AM

Pity this place is clear to hell and gone in Sellwood.

Best regards,

Amanda

#30 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,144 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 06:52 AM

Pity this place is clear to hell and gone in Sellwood.

Best regards,

Amanda

I agree about that...
Never give up! Never surrender!

#31 Calabrese

Calabrese

Desaparecido

• Banned
  • 5,970 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 03:55 PM

I agree about that...

I am sure I can find reasons for trips to the Sellwood area around lunchtime on Saturdays. :think: <_< :think:

#32 Twitch

Twitch
  • Members
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 02:18 PM

Anyone know their current hours?

#33 sylvan

sylvan
  • Members
  • 311 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 03:00 PM

Anyone know their current hours?

http://foodcartsportland.com/?p=66
Hours: Tues-Sat 11:00 AM to 5:30 PM, Fridays 11:00 AM to 7:00 PM
Phone: 503-705-5273

Maybe call them if you think the hours have changed. I think those hours are solid for lunch, but I know Kevin sometimes knocks off early so I'd call if I wanted dinner and had my heart set on eating at Garden State.

PS Went by last night and Picazzos is now open.

#34 piggly_wiggly

piggly_wiggly
  • Members
  • 271 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 04:30 PM

My mechanic is in Sellwood, and it was lunch time, so I went by and picked up dinner.

I got the... fried trio, I want to say Sicillian Fritti, but that's not it. Calabrese mentioned it before. The chick peas are not so crispy, but I think that was my fault, I overloaded the poor guy with enough food for my brood. The potatoes were very good, but I loved the arancini. I got the ragu, and while I have to agree with the critique here to some degree, it was flavorful enough. Just could have been moreso. I just don't really like motzarella. The lemon really makes them great, no matter the filling. I liked breaking them open and kind of biting out the filling, then squeezing lemon on the rest.

I also got a chickpea sandwich. Those are amazing. I'd love more squash on it though, with the complex and flavorful components it wasn't as pronounced as I'd hoped, I kept sneaking bites of it alone, it was so great, leaving my sandwich somewhat bereft. I really like it, it's nice, it's hearty, but not weighty. And the flavors make you want to eat more and more. It also wasn't so crispy, maybe it's not supposed to be, or maybe trying to make that much food all at once made it hard. I don't know, but I am definitely hoping to be there are lunchtime again for more arancini and a chickpea sandwich.

The rest of the clan got meatball sandwiches. I don't know if he was aware of the comments here, but it was a heavy, dense bread. It stood up just fine on the drive all the way from Sellwood to East Vancouver. I... would rather have a lighter bread, but it was good, the family liked them well, and I doubt a less heavy bread would have survived the trip, so it was lucky for us.

I LOVE the meatballs. Great texture and flavor. After eating the filling of the arancini and the meatballs, I think they're variations on the same preparation, which is brilliant use. They were another favorite.

I really like this place. It's good, filling food without being heavy-handed. Homey, but fresh and bright. Not an easy line to walk, but he pulls it off brilliantly. Yum.

This has been a great two weeks, I've had more great food than probably the entire last year. Quite the luxury!

I really wish I lived closer. I could eat chickpea sandwiches and arancini as much as my wallet would allow. Which for the price is relatively often....

#35 sylvan

sylvan
  • Members
  • 311 posts

Posted 02 May 2008 - 12:35 PM

I had lunch at Garden State two days in a row. The roll for the meatball has indeed changed for the sturdier (and better). My first one a few months ago I didn't even consider picking up. Today's held together to the last tasty bite. Yesterday's grilled chicken breast sandwich came with arugula, a white spread that may have been goat cheese and cured Meyer lemons that contributed a nice lemony bitter flavor. I watched him squeeze what looked like honey over it, so I imagine he's trying to counteract some of the bitterness of the lemon pith and the arugula. I thought it came out quite well - different and interesting. Kevin told me he slices the lemons really thin and cures the whole slice (as opposed to just the peel) in salt and sugar. More sugar than salt.

The posted hours are Wed-Sun 11AM-3:30PM, closed Mon-Tues.

#36 LadyConcierge

LadyConcierge

Food is good

• Members
  • 1,534 posts

Posted 02 May 2008 - 01:12 PM

this month's bon appetit has a little section on food carts and features Garden State!

#37 sylvan

sylvan
  • Members
  • 311 posts

Posted 02 May 2008 - 01:46 PM

this month's bon appetit has a little section on food carts and features Garden State!

On newsstands now? Is it the May or June issue? It was supposed to be the June issue, and I can't find it in the online version. I happened to be there the day in March when the photographer came, and I'm curious if the photo she took of me made it in. If it's a little section, probably not.

#38 Calabrese

Calabrese

Desaparecido

• Banned
  • 5,970 posts

Posted 02 May 2008 - 04:16 PM

In one sense that's great news. In another, it might mean waits on the weekend when I can get over there.

#39 LadyConcierge

LadyConcierge

Food is good

• Members
  • 1,534 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 11:05 AM

On newsstands now? Is it the May or June issue? It was supposed to be the June issue, and I can't find it in the online version. I happened to be there the day in March when the photographer came, and I'm curious if the photo she took of me made it in. If it's a little section, probably not.

Probably not on newsstands - I got it in the mail. I'll have to look at what section/page it's on.

#40 BigDaddy

BigDaddy
  • Members
  • 811 posts
  • Interests:Poker, reading, disability rights, nonalcoholic beverages, longtime friend of Bill W.

Posted 04 September 2008 - 01:17 PM

I had the meatball sub and arancine with summer vegatables for lunch today. Easily the best meatballs (therefore meatball sub) I've had anywhere in town, dense but not overly chewy, well seasoned, and the tomato sauce and cheese didn't overwhelm them. Even though I had to wait 45 minutes to eat it (hint: never check your voicemail before you sit down to a hot lunch), the roll held up until the tasty end. I have no yardstick for arancine, but man they were great, held togther well with just enough crunchiness, the soft risotto, and a center of great greens.