Rancho Gordo Beans

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#21 StMaximo

StMaximo
  • Members
  • 2,702 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 10:34 AM

I was at Sheridan Fruit this morning an noticed that they have 18 kinds of dried heirloom type beans and 4 kinds of unusual lentils in addition to their bulk bin selections. $3.99 per lb.

#22 vj

vj
  • 2,747 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 11:31 AM

I was at Sheridan Fruit this morning an noticed that they have 18 kinds of dried heirloom type beans and 4 kinds of unusual lentils in addition to their bulk bin selections. $3.99 per lb.

I wonder what the turnover is like at Sheridan's? If their turnover is good, that's an outrageously good price for beans, at least.

I got some beans from Ayers Creek this winter but didn't get cooking directions so they didn't turn out so great. But damn, the rancho gordo site looks beautiful, and I loved looking at all the pics in the Mouthfuls thread. I may have to get in on this...

#23 nervousxtian

nervousxtian
  • Members
  • 2,128 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 02:19 PM

Look like a trip down to Sheridan Fruit is in order..

#24 mrg

mrg
  • Members
  • 328 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 08:32 PM

So I have orders from John and KatezOr and myself to put in tomorrow. If anyone else wants in, now's your chance! I'm leaving town after that and will be back Monday, so I'm sure I'll beat the delivery. We'll figure out logistics when we get the goods....

#25 Jocelyn:McAuliflower

Jocelyn:McAuliflower
  • Members
  • 537 posts
  • Interests:sweet bakery goodness & quirky food fun

Posted 18 February 2008 - 08:50 PM

So I have orders from John and KatezOr and myself to put in tomorrow. If anyone else wants in, now's your chance! I'm leaving town after that and will be back Monday, so I'm sure I'll beat the delivery. We'll figure out logistics when we get the goods....

gonna pass this time- thanks though!

#26 tammi

tammi
  • Members
  • 1,924 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 10:54 PM

Count me in on this one please.
Craig want in on this too?

#27 mrg

mrg
  • Members
  • 328 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 08:48 AM

Tammi, sure, just tell me what you'd like. Be sure to go to the online ordering page and look at the product list, it shows what's available at this time as he's out of some things listed on his description page.

We may have to have a "bean distribution" party!

#28 vj

vj
  • 2,747 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 09:11 AM

I'm not in on this order as my bank account ran out before the number of days of the month. Next time, for sure.

#29 tammi

tammi
  • Members
  • 1,924 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 08:55 AM

Tammi, sure, just tell me what you'd like. Be sure to go to the online ordering page and look at the product list, it shows what's available at this time as he's out of some things listed on his description page.

We may have to have a "bean distribution" party!

I hope you got my PM mrg. I'm fine to try anything. Those marrow beans sure look interesting though!! A bean distribution party sounds like a lotta fun.

#30 nervousxtian

nervousxtian
  • Members
  • 2,128 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 06:20 PM

Did you order yet? I want in!

#31 mrg

mrg
  • Members
  • 328 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 06:24 PM

Sorry, the order is in and has already shipped! They are fast. It is a flat rate of $8.00 for shipping, so maybe you can find a couple other folks who missed this and do another order.

#32 nervousxtian

nervousxtian
  • Members
  • 2,128 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 07:57 PM

Damn me working too much and slacking off.

If someone else is going to order, let me know.. I could use some beans!

#33 mrg

mrg
  • Members
  • 328 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 04:54 PM

The beans all came in last week, exactly as ordered. Everyone except Tammi has gotten theirs. I cooked up some of the goat's eye beans and they were very delicious. Splitting the shipping 5 ways was quite painless!

Katie, the cookies saved my life out on the ski trail today - never would have made it up that last hill without them! Thanks!

#34 katez0r

katez0r
  • Members
  • 702 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 05:18 PM

Thank you, Mary Kay, for ordering them for all of us, and for special delivering them to me! That was awesome. :P

yay cookies to the rescue!

#35 tammi

tammi
  • Members
  • 1,924 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 05:56 PM

Mary Kay
I am sooooo glad I didn't get them yet because my nephews are eating machines and I would have never gotten a bite. Geeeez. So much food was consumed over this past weekend I am just amazed! I have never had to fight for food before but with 12 hungry exhausted skiiers over the weekend up at Hood I'm really glad I didn't have time to pick up those beans..I don't wanna share anymore! :P
Thanks for buying and choosing for me! I look forward to checking them out. I'll call you tomorrow!
Tammi

#36 craig

craig
  • 2,078 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 05:31 PM

I have forgotten to post on this. I bought three types and so far have only cooked the something cranberry beans. They really are delightful. These taste somewhat like pintos except a lot better. The best way I can describe them is that it is a lot easier to get a really flavorful pot of beans.

I think I want to plant some -- Mary Kay -- did you say something about scarcifying (sp?) them?
"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside." -- Mark Twain

#37 mrg

mrg
  • Members
  • 328 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 09:11 AM

When I planted black beans, I sowed them directly from the package into the ground. You can also sprout them by soaking overnight and putting them in layers of wet paper towel, then into pots and get them going indoors first. Might be the way to go if you have bird or other critters that like to eat the beans.

I'm not sure all the beans would work this way.

#38 Scott--DFW

Scott--DFW
  • Secondary Admin
  • 40 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 11:11 AM

Well worth dropping by his booth at the Ferry Plaza Farmers Market, if you're ever in San Francisco. Here's a photo of his mixed bean basket, when I was there in late October...
Posted Image

Scott

#39 John DePaula

John DePaula
  • Members
  • 1,463 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted 04 April 2008 - 11:49 AM

Well worth dropping by his booth at the Ferry Plaza Farmers Market, if you're ever in San Francisco. Here's a photo of his mixed bean basket, when I was there in late October...

Scott

Love the pic!
--------------------
You cannot legislate compassion into your fellow man (or woman, as the case may be), but we should at least attempt to create a society in which each individual has the opportunity to realize his or her potential. If we meet our citizens' needs for Health Care and Education, everything else will take care of itself. --Me

#40 craig

craig
  • 2,078 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 01:31 PM

It is beautiful -- thx.
"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside." -- Mark Twain