Rancho Gordo Beans

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 katez0r

katez0r
  • Members
  • 702 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 03:12 PM

So, all those California food bloggers are constantly raving about Rancho Gordo's heirloom beans. Has anyone seen them around town? I was thinking of ordering some, they have sampler sets for $20, but by the time you tack on shipping you're spending nearly $30 for four pounds of beans. Yikes, no way.

http://www.ranchogordo.com/

#2 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 15 February 2008 - 03:47 PM

No, but he's a great guy. I've known him via eGullet for a long time. He goes to Mexico and brings back heirloom beans and is passionate about what he grows.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#3 mrg

mrg
  • Members
  • 328 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 04:03 PM

I've used them and love them! I've both orderd online and gone to his little operation in Napa. That was really fun to get to see them all in their glory. Plus he's a really nice guy. I'd be into splitting an order if you'd like and we could reduce the shipping charge that way.

#4 John DePaula

John DePaula
  • Members
  • 1,463 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted 15 February 2008 - 04:04 PM

:o Ok, guilty... I've bought from them and for me, I thought they were worth it, even with the shipping costs. Not as convenient as picking some up in town but the quality and selection are great.

I mail order a lot of stuff and try to maximize my order so minimize the amount I'm spending on shipping.
--------------------
You cannot legislate compassion into your fellow man (or woman, as the case may be), but we should at least attempt to create a society in which each individual has the opportunity to realize his or her potential. If we meet our citizens' needs for Health Care and Education, everything else will take care of itself. --Me

#5 John DePaula

John DePaula
  • Members
  • 1,463 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 04:05 PM

I've used them and love them! I've both orderd online and gone to his little operation in Napa. That was really fun to get to see them all in their glory. Plus he's a really nice guy. I'd be into splitting an order if you'd like and we could reduce the shipping charge that way.

That's a great idea, mrg. Like the way you think!
--------------------
You cannot legislate compassion into your fellow man (or woman, as the case may be), but we should at least attempt to create a society in which each individual has the opportunity to realize his or her potential. If we meet our citizens' needs for Health Care and Education, everything else will take care of itself. --Me

#6 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 15 February 2008 - 04:12 PM

I'd be in.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#7 Jocelyn:McAuliflower

Jocelyn:McAuliflower
  • Members
  • 537 posts
  • Interests:sweet bakery goodness & quirky food fun

Posted 15 February 2008 - 04:31 PM

stupid question- are these beans to grow or beans to eat (or am I really dense and that's the same thing)?

#8 mrg

mrg
  • Members
  • 328 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 04:34 PM

Not such a stupid question! I had a cook one time take 5 pounds of black beans and put them in a bucket to soak on a Friday afternoon to cook on Monday. I told him to be sure to put them in the walk in if he was going to do this, after advising him they didn't need to soak if we started them early on Monday. Well, he left them out all weekend and came in to a bucket of sprouts. So if you want to grow them, feel free. But I think we're talking about getting them to eat here!

#9 katez0r

katez0r
  • Members
  • 702 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 04:41 PM

Wow, glad I posted. I'd love to split an order.

John -- you are guilty of nothing! I also wanted to know if they were worth the price. :o

#10 mrg

mrg
  • Members
  • 328 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 05:01 PM

Cool! So, how do we go about this? I'd be happy to put in the order, then we'd have to figure out the best way for everyone to get their part. Anyone else interested?

#11 John DePaula

John DePaula
  • Members
  • 1,463 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 05:19 PM

Wow, glad I posted. I'd love to split an order.

John -- you are guilty of nothing! I also wanted to know if they were worth the price. :o

Yes, I'm glad that you did, too. The beans are of excellent quality. So many times at the supermarket, you look at the quality and go, "eh." Back in Louisiana, the Camillia brand beans were/are so good!

I like Rancho Gordo because I can find some beans that I don't normally see.
--------------------

#12 John DePaula

John DePaula
  • Members
  • 1,463 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 05:20 PM

Cool! So, how do we go about this? I'd be happy to put in the order, then we'd have to figure out the best way for everyone to get their part. Anyone else interested?

Yes, I'm interested, too. Thanks, mrg. I have PM'd my order.
--------------------

#13 John DePaula

John DePaula
  • Members
  • 1,463 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 06:49 PM

Since we're talking about Rancho Gordo, I'll say that what got me interested in them are their Yellow-Eye Beans. My brother loves these and I had been looking for a source for several years without luck.

Here's a recipe, FWIW.

Yellow Eye Beans

For pressure cooker:

Presoaked beans
Fresh water
1 ½ chicken or vegetable bouillon cubes (if vegan, only Morga bouillon will do)
1-tablespoon parsley flakes
1-teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
black pepper (optional)
1-tablespoon onion powder
1-teaspoon garlic powder
¼ teaspoon ground celery seed
¼ teaspoon dried tarragon leaves

After pressure-cooking about 12 minutes (?), add one chopped onion (sautéed in butter and/or olive oil).

enjoy…..
--------------------

#14 ducky

ducky
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 06:59 PM

No, but he's a great guy. I've known him via eGullet for a long time. He goes to Mexico and brings back heirloom beans and is passionate about what he grows.

Blog on Mouthfuls of a recent trip.
http://mouthfulsfood...p...c=15193&hl=
Pamela

Eating is not merely a material pleasure. Eating well gives a spectacular joy to life
and contributes immensely to goodwill and happy companionship.
It is of great importance to the morale.

-Elsa Schiaparelli

(Avatar is the cover of Sunlight Cafe by Mollie Katzen)

#15 StMaximo

StMaximo
  • Members
  • 2,702 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 07:33 PM

Don't forget the 95 page thread on Rancho Gordo Beans on the Mouthfulsfood

http://mouthfulsfood...showtopic=10096

#16 mrg

mrg
  • Members
  • 328 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 08:14 AM

I'll put an order in this Wednesday, the 20th. If you want to get in on this one, send me a PM with what you'd like and I'll add it.

#17 katez0r

katez0r
  • Members
  • 702 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 09:49 AM

I'll put an order in this Wednesday, the 20th. If you want to get in on this one, send me a PM with what you'd like and I'll add it.

I am so excited! Thank you for doing this.

#18 ducky

ducky
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 09:49 AM

He goes to Mexico and brings back heirloom beans and is passionate about what he grows.

Steve asked to have it clarified that "I hunt for beans in Mexico for seed but all the production at this point is in Northern California and just for me."

He also said that if you put in an order, send an e-mail so he can flag it that the order is for the PDX food group.
Pamela

Eating is not merely a material pleasure. Eating well gives a spectacular joy to life

-Elsa Schiaparelli

#19 ducky

ducky
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 10:06 AM

Don't forget the 95 page thread on Rancho Gordo Beans on the Mouthfulsfood

http://mouthfulsfood...showtopic=10096

I knew that thread was there somewhere! I was at work and too busy to spend much time looking for it. Thanks for the link!
Pamela

-Elsa Schiaparelli

#20 mrg

mrg
  • Members
  • 328 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 10:26 AM

He goes to Mexico and brings back heirloom beans and is passionate about what he grows.

Steve asked to have it clarified that "I hunt for beans in Mexico for seed but all the production at this point is in Northern California and just for me."

He also said that if you put in an order, send an e-mail so he can flag it that the order is for the PDX food group.

Thanks, I'll be sure to do that!