Photo

Baking!

• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

#41 gastronaut08

gastronaut08
  • Members
  • 33 posts
  • Interests:Cooking, music, street fashion, Japan, marketing, business, and all things cute and cuddly.

Posted 02 March 2008 - 12:56 PM

Thank you :) I don't bake very often lol.

Here's some monkey bread we made a couple weeks ago with pecans :lol:
Posted Image

#42 katez0r

katez0r
  • Members
  • 702 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 05:47 PM

wow, gastronaut, that looks so good!

John, your pies and tarts always look amazing!

Here's some cookies I've been baking this weekend:

Posted Image

I was trying a new recipe from Sherry Yards. It's a slice and bake, which I am always a fan of, but it lacked a little complexity, so I'll be sticking to my usual recipe. Fun to try something new, though.

Mary Kay, I'm sorry I subjected you to an experiment -- I hope it wasn't too cruel! hehe

Here's a yogurt cake I made last weekend, with a lemon glaze:

Posted Image

so simple, and delicious.

#43 John DePaula

John DePaula
  • Members
  • 1,463 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted 02 March 2008 - 08:02 PM

Posted Image

I was trying a new recipe from Sherry Yards. It's a slice and bake, which I am always a fan of, but it lacked a little complexity, so I'll be sticking to my usual recipe. Fun to try something new, though.

Mary Kay, I'm sorry I subjected you to an experiment -- I hope it wasn't too cruel! hehe

Posted Image

I love that kind of lemon cake. They're called "Le Weekend" in France - delicious!
--------------------
You cannot legislate compassion into your fellow man (or woman, as the case may be), but we should at least attempt to create a society in which each individual has the opportunity to realize his or her potential. If we meet our citizens' needs for Health Care and Education, everything else will take care of itself. --Me

#44 StMaximo

StMaximo
  • Members
  • 2,702 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 06:27 AM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Recipes Dammit! :P

#45 gastronaut08

gastronaut08
  • Members
  • 33 posts
  • Interests:Cooking, music, street fashion, Japan, marketing, business, and all things cute and cuddly.

Posted 04 March 2008 - 06:29 PM

Whoops my friend took that pic off her flickr...updating with a better one lol

#46 mrg

mrg
  • Members
  • 328 posts

Posted 08 March 2008 - 01:24 PM

So I finally figure out how to post photos and then forget to take them in the first place. I made a pecan whiskey tart that turned out so well it disappeared really fast. Then an applesauce spice cake that was for a birthday celebration and it's gone. Some very vanilla ice cream but that's not really baking, is it? A couple loaves of bread and the crumbs aren't pretty enough to take a photo of. I guess I should leave my camera in the kitchen.

#47 John DePaula

John DePaula
  • Members
  • 1,463 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 06:44 PM

I love fancy desserts but sometimes a simple homey Baked Apple with Almonds, Sultanas, Cinnamon, Butter, and Brown Sugar really does it for me.

Not pretty but very satisfying.

Posted Image
--------------------
You cannot legislate compassion into your fellow man (or woman, as the case may be), but we should at least attempt to create a society in which each individual has the opportunity to realize his or her potential. If we meet our citizens' needs for Health Care and Education, everything else will take care of itself. --Me

#48 katez0r

katez0r
  • Members
  • 702 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 07:26 PM

I love fancy desserts but sometimes a simple homey Baked Apple with Almonds, Sultanas, Cinnamon, Butter, and Brown Sugar really does it for me.

Not pretty but very satisfying.

Oh, that sounds so good!

Here's another non-fancy, but satisfying thing. Banana bread with coconut (nutmeg and rum may also have been involved).

Posted Image

#49 John DePaula

John DePaula
  • Members
  • 1,463 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 07:31 PM

Mmmm, I love banana bread. And the nice thing about it: it tastes even better the next day.
--------------------

#50 gastronaut08

gastronaut08
  • Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 02:55 PM

@ John: Mmmm that looks so good!

I made some awesome cupcakes last weekend; they are Vietnamese Coffee cupcakes:
Posted Image
Posted Image

Full report here

#51 katez0r

katez0r
  • Members
  • 702 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 03:02 PM

I could really go for a cupcake right now. Those looks wonderful :)

Now, I see the portion cup thing for cupcakes on tons of blogs, but I don't get it. Is it just aesthetic or is there some other purpose?

#52 gastronaut08

gastronaut08
  • Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 03:19 PM

I think it's mostly aesthetic...the cupcakes are better shaped and they look prettier as well :) Plus, it cuts down own baking time, especially if you're making a large batch; I can fit 15 cups on a standard baking sheet versus 12 on a standard cupcake pan.

#53 John DePaula

John DePaula
  • Members
  • 1,463 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 04:23 PM

@ John: Mmmm that looks so good!

I made some awesome cupcakes last weekend; they are Vietnamese Coffee cupcakes:
Posted Image
Posted Image

Full report here

Hmmmm... :) I just happen to have some coffee and chicory home. And, I have an opened can of sweetened condensed milk that I need to do something with. I may just give this a try.

Thanks! Looks delicious!
--------------------

#54 gastronaut08

gastronaut08
  • Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 08:40 PM

I wouldn't use the recipe I had for the pudding...it didn't turn out very well...or maybe it was just me I don't know D:

#55 katez0r

katez0r
  • Members
  • 702 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 10:57 AM

I made a chocolate-date cake yesterday, that I read about on The Wednesday Chef. It turned out really moist and delicious, but I didn't think it was quite as good as the blog post says it is. I thought it was really pretty, though, with all its dips and folds.

Posted Image

#56 gastronaut08

gastronaut08
  • Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 12:51 PM

My friend and I made bacon, cheddar and leek mini quiche the other day. Delicious! There were no leftovers whatsoever (and we made around 4 dozen!)

Posted Image

#57 drfugawe

drfugawe
  • Members
  • 9 posts
  • Interests:Mostly I love to eat, so what else is there to say?

Posted 15 April 2008 - 07:51 PM

I hope ya'all will forgive me for being so aggressive as to post a pic of something I just baked for my first post, but actually this is one of my loves, and looking at all your beautiful stuff motivated me. These are some hamburger rolls that turned out better than most.

Posted Image

BTW, these were some of the easier rolls I've ever done, and they only take a little more than an hour from mixing to baking - if anybody wants the recipe, I'd be happy to post it.
jm

#58 allison

allison
  • Members
  • 119 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 08:30 PM

BTW, these were some of the easier rolls I've ever done, and they only take a little more than an hour from mixing to baking - if anybody wants the recipe, I'd be happy to post it.
jm

Yes, recipe please! Those look delicious. I've been making my own hamburger buns lately and they are always disappointing, especially after taking 2 or 3 hours to knead and raise.

#59 katez0r

katez0r
  • Members
  • 702 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 06:02 AM

I hope ya'all will forgive me for being so aggressive as to post a pic of something I just baked for my first post, but actually this is one of my loves, and looking at all your beautiful stuff motivated me. These are some hamburger rolls that turned out better than most.

Posted Image

jm

Those are gorgeous! I've never made rolls, but I'd love to start. Welcome to the site!

#60 Amanda

Amanda
  • 7,626 posts
  • Interests:Eating, cooking, kayaking, canoeing, letterboxing

Posted 16 April 2008 - 07:21 AM

This is the first time I've even paid attention to this thread. I'm a terrible baker! Especially when it comes to crusts, but like John DePaula was saying...it might be time for me to get busy and weigh in with a pie (even if it's store-bought frozen crust). I'm missing those tasty pies that were so readily available. I'm either going to have to make them myself or get some Little Pots & Pans tarts. Hmmmm, the Little Pots & Pans tarts sound like the better and more tasty option!

Krispenn ought to post her good-looking tarts on here to get everyone drooling and running to the Whole Foods or World Cup! I'm going to have to take my own advice here!

Best regards,

Amanda