• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

#1 John DePaula

John DePaula
  • Members
  • 1,463 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted 14 February 2008 - 10:14 AM

Made some Buttermilk Scones with Currants and Candied Orange from Julia Child's Baking with Julia. (I love this book!)

Posted Image

Thought I botched the recipe because I incorrectly scaled some of the ingredients; however, I caught my mistake before I finished mixing and was able to rectify. Generally, you don't want to overwork the dough even a little bit, so I was worried.

Wow, were these good! Very buttery and flaky. Served with a little extra butter and orange marmalade on the side - Delicious!
--------------------
You cannot legislate compassion into your fellow man (or woman, as the case may be), but we should at least attempt to create a society in which each individual has the opportunity to realize his or her potential. If we meet our citizens' needs for Health Care and Education, everything else will take care of itself. --Me

#2 mrg

mrg
  • Members
  • 328 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 03:11 PM

Attached File  almond_tart.jpg   63.73K   70 downloads

I haven't posted a photo before, so here goes. I made the almond tart from David Lebovitz's site. It wasn't as hard as he made it sound. There's also a loaf of bread rising, waiting it's turn in the oven.

#3 John DePaula

John DePaula
  • Members
  • 1,463 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 03:29 PM

Attached File  almond_tart.jpg   63.73K   70 downloads

I haven't posted a photo before, so here goes. I made the almond tart from David Lebovitz's site. It wasn't as hard as he made it sound. There's also a loaf of bread rising, waiting it's turn in the oven.

Beautiful, mrg! I made that this week, too! Yeah, I was surprised that he said it was one of the most difficult things he's ever made. Surely not...

When I was making this, I forgot that I had doubled the recipe for the crust (I like to freeze an extra batch). I couldn't understand why it wasn't coming together, so naturally, I added some vodka. Wow, this came out uber-flakey!

David Lebovitz' Chez Panisse Almond Tart
Posted Image Posted Image

By the way, David recommends either a Pear or Tangerine Sorbet as an accompaniment. That sounds good, since this is a pretty rich dessert.
--------------------
You cannot legislate compassion into your fellow man (or woman, as the case may be), but we should at least attempt to create a society in which each individual has the opportunity to realize his or her potential. If we meet our citizens' needs for Health Care and Education, everything else will take care of itself. --Me

#4 mrg

mrg
  • Members
  • 328 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 03:38 PM

Our neighborhood got together to make a gift basket for our mailman for Valentine's Day. Yes, he's an awesome mailman. I made a bag of goodies, here are almond biscotti, huckleberry marshmallows, some meringue crisps, and we ate or gave away all the chocolate peppermint patties before I took a picture. The peppermint patty recipe was in Saveur a month ago and was really delicious.

John, that's so funny you made the almond tart as well! Mine didn't leak at all and it was easy to handle as I baked it on a cooling rack set on a cookie sheet. Can't wait to cut into it after dinner....

Attached Files

#5 katez0r

katez0r
  • Members
  • 702 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 04:36 PM

Oh my god, John. That is so gorgeous, I am dying to make it! David Lebovitz always makes me swoon -- I actually did his crepe recipe last night from The Perfect Scoop. Delicious.

I'm not a photographer by any means, but I do attempt to take nice pictures, so here's a few.

Sel Gris and black pepper shortbreads, I got the recipe from Francine the Machine. Finally made them. So delicious, and they're getting raves from my co-workers today.

Posted Image

some espresso-blondies and meyer lemon bars:

Posted Image

I have more that I can post later, too.

p.s. best thread ever!

#6 John DePaula

John DePaula
  • Members
  • 1,463 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 05:19 PM

You may want to send some of those shortbread cookies to Matt Groening! :D They look wonderful, Kate!
--------------------

#7 katez0r

katez0r
  • Members
  • 702 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 07:20 PM

Thanks, John!

Here's an apple pie I made last month.

Posted Image

#8 Cat Lancaster

Cat Lancaster
  • 2,524 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 08:51 PM

I am in awe of all of you - these are beautiful looking products and lovely pictures. The hard work and natural skill is very obvious. Good job.

Cat
"travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" ~ Mark Twain

"I'm not a picky eater, but I'm picky about what I eat." ~ Me

#9 John DePaula

John DePaula
  • Members
  • 1,463 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 09:32 PM

John, that's so funny you made the almond tart as well! Mine didn't leak at all and it was easy to handle as I baked it on a cooling rack set on a cookie sheet. Can't wait to cut into it after dinner....

So how did you like the tart, mrg? I enjoyed mine a lot but thought it was just on the edge of being cooked too long as the caramel was pretty dense. I noticed that in one of the final comments on David's site, someone said that you really don't have to keep tapping the top of the tart to break up the crust if the almonds are evenly distributed.
--------------------

#10 jafar

jafar
  • Members
  • 561 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 12:16 AM

Thanks, John!

Posted Image

What kind of fat did you use for the crust?

#11 katez0r

katez0r
  • Members
  • 702 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 07:21 AM

Thanks, John!

Posted Image

I do an all butter crust.

Though, I did buy some leaf lard recently to use as an experiment sometime.

#12 John DePaula

John DePaula
  • Members
  • 1,463 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 08:44 AM

Thanks, John!

Posted Image

Oooo, please let us know how the experiment turns out.

I used to do a butter/shortening mix for a crust but for some reason, started noticing a bitter aftertaste that I never noticed when I was younger. Now, I only do an all-butter crust.
--------------------

#13 jafar

jafar
  • Members
  • 561 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 09:44 AM

[quote name='katez0r' date='Feb 15 2008, 07:21 AM' post='79339']
[quote name='jafar' post='79332' date='Feb 15 2008, 12:16 AM']
[quote name='katez0r' post='79305' date='Feb 14 2008, 07:20 PM']
Thanks, John!

[/quote]

[/quote]

Nice. Where did you get the leaf lard? I'm also curious to hear how it turns out. I baked a rhubarb pie with a lard crust a few years ago. The texture was amazing but the swiny flavor put me off so much I couldn't eat it. My dad loved it though.

The lard was some cheap crap though. I'd like to try it again with leaf lard, or better yet, try someone else's :D

I do all butter now too. I avoid trans fat like the plague. Any pointer for the crust. Mine still comes out a little too short-bready for my taste, although my GF and sister love it like that.

#14 jafar

jafar
  • Members
  • 561 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 09:45 AM

Posted Image

My first attempt at bagels last June inspired by this forum. You can probably see I was still experimenting with the shaping.

I wanted to find a kosher chicken, did a Google search and bumped into MczLaw's thread about bagels.

That led to many firsts including getting into sourdough and joining this forum.

#15 katez0r

katez0r
  • Members
  • 702 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 10:02 AM

I used to do a butter/shortening mix for a crust but for some reason, started noticing a bitter aftertaste that I never noticed when I was younger. Now, I only do an all-butter crust.

I will! I used some of it for biscuits a few weeks ago. I didn't like the smell, though, and then I could taste it. For some reason, I didn't expect it to smell much at all, so it kind of turned me off.

I've never used shortening, mainly because I started out using Sherry Yard's recipe for pie crusts when I first started baking a few years ago, which is all butter. I took Shuna's pie class over the summer, and she told us that shortening doesn't melt until it's heated up to 425, so while it'll melt into your crust, you then eat that. I dunno, as a general rule I try to avoid highly processed crap (c&h sugar being the big exception!), I'd rather have more butter flavor, and fewer flakes.

speaking of bitter aftertaste, does anyone ever use King Arthur white whole wheat flour? I occasionally throw some into whatever I'm making (mmm fiber), but I always notice an off-taste. Is this common? or does that mean it's rancid? I've had other people taste some of these things, too, but no one besides me (and my S/O) notices it.

and here's one of those biscuits (breakfast sandwich style, tapatio being the essential ingredient):

Posted Image

#16 mrg

mrg
  • Members
  • 328 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 10:07 AM

I use King Arthur white whole wheat flour all the time. I usually sub it for half the flour for almost everything I bake. I taught a middle school cooking class for 10 weeks and that's all I used and the kids never complained. Maybe your bag is rancid, can happen with whole wheat if the store doesn't have a good turnover. I also use the Bob's Red Mill white whole wheat.

I liked the almond tart ok, thought it could use something else to make it more interesting. Maybe just a bit more salt even? Or some chocolate drizzled on it, or maybe a little lemon zest. I used a slotted spoon to put the almonds into the filling and felt they were well distributed and only tapped the tart a couple times as I didn't see the point.

Always in favor of excess, we had it with glassed of amaretto. Being Valentine's Day and all, we called it amouretto and that's all I'm telling!

#17 John DePaula

John DePaula
  • Members
  • 1,463 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 10:09 AM

I will! I used some of it for biscuits a few weeks ago. I didn't like the smell, though, and then I could taste it. For some reason, I didn't expect it to smell much at all, so it kind of turned me off.

I've never used shortening, mainly because I started out using Sherry Yard's recipe for pie crusts when I first started baking a few years ago, which is all butter. I took Shuna's pie class over the summer, and she told us that shortening doesn't melt until it's heated up to 425, so while it'll melt into your crust, you then eat that. I dunno, as a general rule I try to avoid highly processed crap (c&h sugar being the big exception!), I'd rather have more butter flavor, and fewer flakes.

speaking of bitter aftertaste, does anyone ever use King Arthur white whole wheat flour? I occasionally throw some into whatever I'm making (mmm fiber), but I always notice an off-taste. Is this common? or does that mean it's rancid? I've had other people taste some of these things, too, but no one besides me (and my S/O) notices it.

and here's one of those biscuits (breakfast sandwich style, tapatio being the essential ingredient):

Posted Image

Nice pix, Kate!

Too bad about the lard. This may be one of those things that some people taste more than others; guess I'll have to just be content with BUTTAH! :D On the other hand, for some savory items like meat pies... (Amanda, care to weigh in???)

I'm not a Baker, per se, but when the whole wheat tastes bitter I think it does mean that it's a little rancid. I'll be that there are some bakers here on the site that actually grind their own.

Comments???
--------------------

#18 GizmoCat

GizmoCat
  • Members
  • 729 posts
  • Interests:Wine, Food, Music, Travel

Posted 15 February 2008 - 11:45 AM

Y'all are making me hungry, with these great photos!!!

Here is a Peach Cobbler I made last summer.

Posted Image

#19 John DePaula

John DePaula
  • Members
  • 1,463 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 12:21 PM

Y'all are making me hungry, with these great photos!!!

Here is a Peach Cobbler I made last summer.

Posted Image

Mmmmm....Cobbler! We used to make these wonderful Blackberry Cobblers with blackberries picked from our yard that day. Wonderful!

There is nothing so wonderful as a tree ripened peach, I must say.
--------------------

#20 Francine the Machine

Francine the Machine
  • Members
  • 437 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 02:55 PM

Oh my god, John. That is so gorgeous, I am dying to make it! David Lebovitz always makes me swoon -- I actually did his crepe recipe last night from The Perfect Scoop. Delicious.

I'm not a photographer by any means, but I do attempt to take nice pictures, so here's a few.

Sel Gris and black pepper shortbreads, I got the recipe from Francine the Machine. Finally made them. So delicious, and they're getting raves from my co-workers today.

Posted Image

some espresso-blondies and meyer lemon bars:

Posted Image

I have more that I can post later, too.

p.s. best thread ever!

Hey - KateZor!

I'm glad you made the fleur de sel shortbread - I love it!

I made the devils food cupcakes with bittersweet ganache icing out of the Valentines FoodDay last night and they were really good. I had my doubts - the recipe called for 3/4 C. of mayonnaise. Ew. But - nobody could tell, and the product was VERY moist.