Photo

Knife Sharpening

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#21 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,144 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 08:53 AM

These are the guys that have a mobile unit at the Moreland Farmers' Market.
Never give up! Never surrender!

#22 Angelhair

Angelhair
  • 7,660 posts
  • Interests:film, cooking, literature

Posted 01 June 2011 - 08:02 AM

Sur la Table is running its knife sharpening promo again. They'll do two for free: http://www.surlatabl...landingPage.jsp

Runs through the month of June.

#23 harmonie

harmonie
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  • Interests:I enjoy cooking and sharing cooking ideas with others. I also enjoy fanfiction and some gaming games such as LOL

Posted 03 December 2011 - 02:10 PM

Sharpening4u does hallowground sharpening on a grinder. The knife is direted by the sharpener though so no plug your knief into a machine. They also do serrated knives and if needed can reserrate your knife (grind new scoops and pionts in). I would call them if you have any questions ^^ the number is 503-962-0574

#24 Patron Saint of Knives

Patron Saint of Knives
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 02:37 PM

I use the Knife Guy. He's quite good and quick and inexpensive, but VERY busy. Best bet is to take them to him wherever he might be or plan ahead like a visit to the dentist. He does all kinds of knives. I did 20-something knives the last time I took them to him and it was like $55. And almost all were 8" or longer.

I'm up in Vancouver, but I offer superior Knife Sharpening as both a specialty and a calling. I charge $3. a knife, regardless of size and generally have a 24-48 hour turnaround. I have a convenient secure locker system on my front porch, you drop off, take the key with you and after I call you to let you know they're done, you pick them up at your convenience. Just leave payment in the payment box, I trust you. Please drop by my website for more information http://www.patronsaintofknives.com . I do pick up and drop off for $5 a knife if it's not too far if you have enough knives to justify the trip.

Here's a little blurb from my website.

I call it, Feeling my way towards Infinity. Taking a dull, abused blade and slowly, carefully bringing it to a strange, invisible edge that can shave hair like a barber and slice through meat like butter. The final product is a knife that demands respect. The edge of the blade is mirror smooth, without the common saw tooth that most knife sharpeners produce. This fine clean line will cut like a razor and does not dull as fast as a common edge.

The superior convex character of the completed knife is geometrically more stable that the more common concave edge, removes less metal and is less likely to chip, crack, or bend. Good Knife Sharpening is not only a skill, but a kind of art form. Your Knife sharpener should not only know knives, but also understand the people who use them how they be handled. Just like a Samurai's sword was called his soul, for a good cook, their knives take on a deep meaning.
Patron Saint of Knives
Your Knives Brought to
a Razor Edge
http://patronsaintofknives.com
Blog @ http://patronsaintof....wordpress.com/

Posted Image

#25 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,144 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 02:47 PM

Welcome to the site, Patron Saint of Knives!
Never give up! Never surrender!

#26 jafar

jafar
  • Members
  • 561 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 02:54 PM

...I'm up in Vancouver, but I offer superior Knife Sharpening as both a specialty and a calling. I charge $3. a knife, regardless of size and generally have a 24-48 hour turnaround. I have a convenient secure locker system on my front porch, you drop off, take the key with you and after I call you to let you know they're done, you pick them up at your convenience. Just leave payment in the payment box, I trust you. Please drop by my website for more information http://www.patronsaintofknives.com . I do pick up and drop off for $5 a knife if it's not too far if you have enough knives to justify the trip.

Brilliant!

Will you sharpen a chisel edge on a grafting knife?

#27 Dan

Dan
  • Members
  • 461 posts
  • Interests:Spicy food and bacon.

Posted 05 July 2016 - 10:39 AM

Just dropped off my Global chef's knife at the Knife House on Belmont (2637 SE Belmont). They said for Global knives, they recommend a belt grind, which costs $4, and said it will be ready tomorrow. Honestly, I probably wouldn't recognize the difference between an amazing sharpening job and an acceptable sharpening job, but I'll post back with results. The Knife House looks pretty real deal though - really big selection of nice knives and cutting boards. 

#28 AngryRhino

AngryRhino
  • Members
  • 82 posts
  • Interests:bbq, bbq, pinball and ummm...BBQ!

Posted 06 July 2016 - 11:16 PM

I've taken my knives to them twice now (Shun,) both times a belt grind. They do a really fantastic job. With regular use of a steel, they keep an edge better than anyone else in town. As a super lurker, fwiw, I could not recommend them any higher. Very reasonable prices all through the shop.

#29 polloelastico

polloelastico
  • Members
  • 2,749 posts
  • Interests:Tantric yoga and deck shuffleboard

Posted 07 July 2016 - 09:19 AM

Thx Dan and AngryRhino. I will take my knives there this weekend.

“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” — George Carlin

#30 pwillen1

pwillen1
  • Members
  • 517 posts

Posted 07 July 2016 - 11:57 AM

FWIW, I am very happy with my Edge Pro made in Hood River.

#31 StMaximo

StMaximo
  • Members
  • 2,702 posts

Posted 07 July 2016 - 09:57 PM

I've got a Work Sharp Knife Sharpener. It puts a wicked sharp edge on knives quickly. When I'm using my knives a lot, a quick couple of licks on the steel brings the edge right back. I've got decent to better than average knives. I don't know if I'd use it on a $300 dollar knife, but I know people that do. I don't know where it's made, but the company is in Ashland...

I eyed the Edge Pro for a long time and I think if I had a lot of high end cutlery, I'd probably go with one of them.

#32 StMaximo

StMaximo
  • Members
  • 2,702 posts

Posted 07 July 2016 - 09:59 PM

Just dropped off my Global chef's knife at the Knife House on Belmont (2637 SE Belmont). They said for Global knives, they recommend a belt grind, which costs $4, and said it will be ready tomorrow. Honestly, I probably wouldn't recognize the difference between an amazing sharpening job and an acceptable sharpening job, but I'll post back with results. The Knife House looks pretty real deal though - really big selection of nice knives and cutting boards. 

I think you'll notice when the knife is really sharp. Using them is just so much better with a good edge. Do you have a steel to keep the edge up? It makes all the difference to use a steel on your knife regularly.

#33 Dan

Dan
  • Members
  • 461 posts
  • Interests:Spicy food and bacon.

Posted 08 July 2016 - 05:54 PM

I think you'll notice when the knife is really sharp. Using them is just so much better with a good edge. Do you have a steel to keep the edge up? It makes all the difference to use a steel on your knife regularly.

Not a steel, but I do have and use one of the Global-branded sharpeners, like this one. I don't know if this is technically doing the same thing as a steel (realign edges, I guess?) or if it's an actual sharpener. Using it does make the knives cut noticeably better - I can cut a tomato immediately after use -- but it doesn't last long. 

#34 StMaximo

StMaximo
  • Members
  • 2,702 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 07:59 PM

Not a steel, but I do have and use one of the Global-branded sharpeners, like this one. I don't know if this is technically doing the same thing as a steel (realign edges, I guess?) or if it's an actual sharpener. Using it does make the knives cut noticeably better - I can cut a tomato immediately after use -- but it doesn't last long. 

If you go to a butcher shop, the butchers are constantly tuning up their knives with a steel. I've rarely seen anyone use them as much as a butcher, but I've noticed some restaurant cooks that touch up their knives on them fairly frequently. 

I usually steel my knives after I clean then up and before I put them away. That way they're ready to go when I want to use them.

I've got friends with Global Knives, but I don't think any of them have sharpened then since they bought them. I've sharpened a few and they're a pleasure to use. I'm going to share that link with them. I still think a steel is the way to go to finish them up and to keep them cutting well once they're sharpened.