Knife Sharpening

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 averilpdx

averilpdx
  • Members
  • 319 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 03:06 PM

Just wanted to share this with everybody. I called Mike Kraft (360) 904-5223 , a guy w/ a mobile knife sharpening truck (I haven't used him but some ppl. recommended him on PFD), to have him come to my house and do my knives. Ever since George and Sons closed I've been at a loss to find a good person. Kraft has a $30 minimum and I don't have enough knives to make it worth my while, but he told me about a special he's running next Wed. at Garden Fever. He'll sharpen your knives for only $3.50 a piece and they'll be done by the end of the day. He said he gets there around noon and you can drop them off and pick them up at 5 or so. Hope this helps those of you with blades as dull as mine! It's right next door to Lucca so you can check that out as well.

Garden Fever
3433 NE 24th Ave
Portland, OR 97212
(503) 287-3200

#2 jafar

jafar
  • Members
  • 561 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 09:14 PM

Just wanted to share this with everybody. I called Mike Kraft (360) 904-5223 , a guy w/ a mobile knife sharpening truck (I haven't used him but some ppl. recommended him on PFD), to have him come to my house and do my knives. Ever since George and Sons closed I've been at a loss to find a good person. Kraft has a $30 minimum and I don't have enough knives to make it worth my while, but he told me about a special he's running next Wed. at Garden Fever. He'll sharpen your knives for only $3.50 a piece and they'll be done by the end of the day. He said he gets there around noon and you can drop them off and pick them up at 5 or so. Hope this helps those of you with blades as dull as mine! It's right next door to Lucca so you can check that out as well.

Garden Fever
3433 NE 24th Ave
Portland, OR 97212
(503) 287-3200

Do you know how he sharpens them? Does he do serrated? Does he sharpen harder knifes to a smaller angle? Will he do a chisel edge on my grafting knife?

Hmm, maybe I should just call him. I'm so shy.

#3 jennifer

jennifer
  • 3,266 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 10:01 PM

Garden Fever
3433 NE 24th Ave
Portland, OR 97212
(503) 287-3200

Do you know how he sharpens them? Does he do serrated? Does he sharpen harder knifes to a smaller angle? Will he do a chisel edge on my grafting knife?

Hmm, maybe I should just call him. I'm so shy.

These are very good questions, I'd be interested to know as well. A while ago, my friend told me about a guy with a mobile knife sharpening truck who parked from time to time in front of Wizers on Boones Ferry in LO. So I took my best knives over there, and when I got them back, they looked like the'd been eaten by a sharpening wheel. There was so much material gone from the knives, I didn't know what to say, other than they were pretty much ruined. I don't remember who it was, but your questions are valid, and I'd ask him lots of them.

#4 averilpdx

averilpdx
  • Members
  • 319 posts

Posted 02 February 2008 - 11:58 AM

Hmmm- these are good questions.Like I said, I only heard of him by reading a post on PFD where people were trying to figure out where to take their knives after George and Son closed. I know this guy says he does a lot of commercial work as well so I would hope/think he wouldn't get repeat business if he "butchered" the knives so to speak. Although I supposed commercial work could entail a lot of other implements that need sharpening besides cooking knives. If anyone does find out more please post here b/c I'd love to know too!

#5 averilpdx

averilpdx
  • Members
  • 319 posts

Posted 02 February 2008 - 08:11 PM

I found the forum post on PFD that discussed Mike (knife guy who'll be at Garden Fever). I copied and pasted the relevant posts below. It sounds like he has a good reputation and that these folks have all had very good experiences with him. I will try him and report back.

Food Dude
There used to be a guy who went around to Portland restaurants in a van. Don't know if he is still around, but heard he was very good.

delish
I'm a big fan of the Knife Guy (Cascade Sharpening). He's based out of Battleground, but has a mobile unit and can often be caught making rounds downtown Portland. And to boot, he's not only incredibly talented, but a nice guy who's got more blade knowledge than anyone I've ever met. Try knifeguy@qwest.net to find out specifics.

gezellig
Ditto on The Knife Guy. He drives to your house, takes whatever knives you give him, takes them out to his
shop on wheels and sharpens your knives on the spot for around $3 a knife. We've been using him for years.
I hate being w/o my knives for days to a week like you normally would do if you leave them with someone. He really gets them right.
His name is Mike Kraft, (360) 904-5223

Food Dude
Yup, he's the guy I was thinking of!

bittersweet
Thank you delish and gezellig. Mike sharpened my knives and I am in slicing and dicing heaven.

#6 jafar

jafar
  • Members
  • 561 posts

Posted 06 February 2008 - 03:44 PM

Oops. I forgot today was the day :)

Maybe I try again in a couple of weeks.

If anybody dropped their knives off, please give us your report.

#7 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 06 February 2008 - 05:34 PM

I use the Knife Guy. He's quite good and quick and inexpensive, but VERY busy. Best bet is to take them to him wherever he might be or plan ahead like a visit to the dentist. He does all kinds of knives. I did 20-something knives the last time I took them to him and it was like $55. And almost all were 8" or longer.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#8 averilpdx

averilpdx
  • Members
  • 319 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 08:14 PM

I got my knives back today and I am very pleased. I am not an expert- quite the contrary, but the knives look and feel great.

#9 jafar

jafar
  • Members
  • 561 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 10:48 PM

I got my knives back today and I am very pleased. I am not an expert- quite the contrary, but the knives look and feel great.

Thanks averilpdx, what kind of knives were they?

#10 averilpdx

averilpdx
  • Members
  • 319 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 07:25 AM

Jafar- I have a Global chef's knife, a Henckel's utility (?), a Shun paring knife and a couple of cheaper Chicago Cutlery knives that actually work pretty well. A motley crew but they get the job done!

#11 RR & SP

RR & SP
  • Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 09:25 AM

I use the electric Knife sharpener , which I purchased from Costco. It is less than 50$ and has two slots. I use it regularly and works fine. Nice tool to have handy in kitchen.

#12 jafar

jafar
  • Members
  • 561 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 11:40 AM

Jafar- I have a Global chef's knife, a Henckel's utility (?), a Shun paring knife and a couple of cheaper Chicago Cutlery knives that actually work pretty well. A motley crew but they get the job done!

Thank you,

Did the Global and Shun come out clearly sharper than the others?

Was the utility or any of the others serrated? Were you charged the same amount for each knife? If not, did you know what you would be charged in advance? Was there some mechanism for giving instructions on what you want done?

#13 janeannechovy

janeannechovy
  • Members
  • 122 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 02:59 PM

Anyone used the knife guy recently? Is the contact info above still good?

#14 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 03:23 PM

The Knife Guy is who we use at K&Z. Does a very good job.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#15 abefroman

abefroman
  • Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 04:30 PM

Woody Baily with Zen Blades also does excellent work.

http://www.zenblades.com/

#16 TastyTidbits1

TastyTidbits1
  • Members
  • 445 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 08:05 PM

There is a guy at the Hillsdale Sunday Farmers Market who did a nice job on our knives. He's located in one of the last parking spaces before you walk into the market. He charged us $20 for five knives.

This year he's also at the Hollywood farmers market parked on the street just by the entrance.

For those with very expensive knives I suggest asking him to sharpen one knife first and see what you think...our knives are about 25 years old and not super high-end so our expectations may not be the same as yours.

#17 janeannechovy

janeannechovy
  • Members
  • 122 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 11:58 PM

I met up with The Knife Guy when he came over to Patanegra last week. Chef's, boning, two parers, 10 minutes and $9.50. Awesomely sharp, and he did a little work on the bolster of my chef's knife, too.

#18 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,144 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 07:33 PM

Sharpening 4U now has a shop on NE Sandy just past 33rd:

http://www.sharpening4u.com/

Prices:

Knives
All knife prices are based on size of blade
4" - $3
6" - $4
8" - $5
10" - $6
(Serrated blades add $1 to above price)
(small repairs ie: retipping, small chips and reshaping fixed for $1 - $3)

Gardentools
Hand Clippers - $2
Grass Shears - $4
Hedge Clippers - $6
Axes - $6
Hatchets - $4
Shovels - $6
Hoes - $4
(Garden tools are cleaned and regreased when possible)

Scissors
All scissors are based on the length of the blade not the handle.
3" - $3
6" - $4
Pinking Shears - $7 - $9
Hair Shears - $5
Rotary Blades - $2
Paper cutters - $0.50/inch

Mowers
Mower Blades (Gas/Electric) - $6 (we request that you remove your mower blade for us.)
Reel Mowers - $35 - $45 (please see reel mowers section for more information)

Never give up! Never surrender!

#19 jafar

jafar
  • Members
  • 561 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 11:35 PM

Is Sharpening 4U one of the guys/operations that have been discussed here before?

The web page doesn't yet have any information about the approach or method.

#20 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 12:39 AM

Yeah, I'm interested to know if anyone has used them as well.

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's