• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 John DePaula

John DePaula
  • Members
  • 1,463 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted 24 January 2008 - 03:25 PM

Went to Hae Rim for the first time today. We were greeted very warmly and seated immediately.

I got the bibim bob and I thought it was excellent. I don't think I've had this before but I enjoyed it, though without the spicy sauce on the side, I'm not sure I'd have enjoyed it as much.

Dining partner got the bulgogi BBQ tender beef. He enjoyed it but it was mild for him (attention to those of you who don't like spicy! This may be a good dish for you).

Each dish was $6.95 on the Lunch menu. I thought it was a good value.

Hae Rim
11729 SW Beaverton Hillsdale Hwy
Beaverton, OR 97005
(at the Beaverton Town Square mall, across Fred Meyer or near by Olive Garden Italian Restaurant)
--------------------
You cannot legislate compassion into your fellow man (or woman, as the case may be), but we should at least attempt to create a society in which each individual has the opportunity to realize his or her potential. If we meet our citizens' needs for Health Care and Education, everything else will take care of itself. --Me

#2 tammi

tammi
  • Members
  • 1,924 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 06:57 PM

I've tried to eat at Hae Rim twice but have felt so intimidated by all the staring "native" patrons that I've left and fled to the comfort of Pho Van..Maybe I'll try again. :) I don't think I'm scary...But who knows!

#3 John DePaula

John DePaula
  • Members
  • 1,463 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted 24 January 2008 - 07:06 PM

I've tried to eat at Hae Rim twice but have felt so intimidated by all the staring "native" patrons that I've left and fled to the comfort of Pho Van..Maybe I'll try again. :) I don't think I'm scary...But who knows!

Well, I didn't notice anyone staring but it was late for lunch and there weren't many tables filled (3?).
--------------------
You cannot legislate compassion into your fellow man (or woman, as the case may be), but we should at least attempt to create a society in which each individual has the opportunity to realize his or her potential. If we meet our citizens' needs for Health Care and Education, everything else will take care of itself. --Me

#4 Magpie

Magpie
  • Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 09:20 AM

Well, I didn't notice anyone staring but it was late for lunch and there weren't many tables filled (3?).

I am quite fond of Hae Rim but last time I went we went for dinner we had very very slow service. It was around 7:30 when we arrived and the place was full when we arrived but it took quite a while to get our order taken and then at least 40 mins to get our food. Our meal was quite good when it came but it just seems like they were overwhelmed. Sad to say since it was one of my go to lunch places for a bit but I think I will avoid the heart of the dinner rush.

#5 glenns

glenns
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 02:49 PM

I've only been once to Hae Rim. My partner had the DolSot Bi Bim Bap (not sure if this is on the lunch menu) it's Bi bim bap win a hot stone bowl. The hot sauce is meant to be added to Bi Bim bap, I've never seen it eaten without. It would be mild and boring.

Bulgogi and Kalbi are generally not spicy. You can get versions of Pork pulgogi with some chiles added. Not sure if they have that at Hae Rim. We tend to go out to eat on weekends (five year old in tow), service was good for us.

If you want heat try the Yook Gae Jang, it's a spicy shredded beef soup with a few glass noodles and various vegatables. Usually served with rice. I like this when I feel a cold coming on.

#6 SauceSupreme

SauceSupreme
  • Members
  • 991 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 12:42 PM

In the effort to try and find a good Korean place to host a PF event, I stopped by Hae Rim for lunch today. First off, it was a bit tricky to find since I thought by the odd-numbered address that it would be on the north side of the street with the other odd-numbered shops. (I eventually found it when my curiosity drew me across the street toward the awkwardly named "Chicken Bar" -- imagine my surprise when Hae Rim was next door.)

My favorite Korean dish is a hot pot of seafood and soft tofu, so I ordered that as well as a small order of their seafood pancake. One thing I will say is that the quality of ingredients is top notch throughout, though I would doubt if they actually press their own tofu every morning.

That being said, there was the problem of execution. The pancake (hae mul pa jeon) wasn't left on the griddle long enough for my taste, though I may be in the minority on this one (pa jeon should be street/bar food -- that omelet better be on the overdone side). Again, good ingredients within the pancake, especially the squid.

The soft tofu (hae mul soon dubu) also left something to be desired. Thank goodness I asked for it spicy, otherwise there wouldn't have been much going on. One lonely shrimp, no clams, and few bits of squid. I should have just disassembled the pa jeon and added it to the broth. (I also had to ask for an egg, but I figure that will be a common problem here in Portland.)

Overall it was fine, and with the presence of various grilled meat and noodles on the menu, it might also make for a good entry-level Korean event, but for me it just wasn't worth the hassle to go to Hae Rim, not when BeWon is right in my backyard.

A side note: there seemed to be a good handful of Japanese diners there, and the owner seemed to be pretty decent at speaking Japanese, much to their amusement.
"I'll settle for a cup of coffee, but you know what I really need." - REM

"Peel all of your layers off, I want to eat your artichoke heart." - Thom Yorke

http://lushangeles.com

#7 tammi

tammi
  • Members
  • 1,924 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 02:37 PM

Thanks for the report Sauce. I'm glad I ate around the corner today at Pho Van but sorry to have missed ya!

#8 doglover

doglover

Just another Portland foodie

• Members
  • 156 posts
  • Interests:I'm a marketing geek who loves to travel, share a great bottle of wine with friends, and who is always on the lookout for a great new restaurant. St. Jack anyone?

Posted 07 March 2014 - 10:47 PM

The propieters of Hae Rim have sold.  Food was as good as ever tonite. They were such wonderful people -- they will be missed.

#9 ricechaz

ricechaz
  • Members
  • 250 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 05:52 AM

So sorry to hear that. They were always so friendly to my family. Many good meals there. 

Charlie
Hood River, OR

"No matter where you go...
there you are."
Dr. Buckaroo Banzai

#10 doglover

doglover

Just another Portland foodie

• Members
  • 156 posts
  • Interests:I'm a marketing geek who loves to travel, share a great bottle of wine with friends, and who is always on the lookout for a great new restaurant. St. Jack anyone?

Posted 15 November 2014 - 02:32 PM

We finally made it back to Hae Rim to see how the new owners are doing.   While we miss the original owners, who we miss dearly, Hae Rim is in very good hands.  The food was as good or better.   :thumbsup:

We were a tad nervous as we arrived a bit before 6 and the restaurant was mostly empty, but before long every table was full and largely from the Korean community.  Always a good sign.

#11 pwillen1

pwillen1
  • Members
  • 517 posts

Posted 17 November 2014 - 07:18 AM

what's the corkage?