Photo

Puerto Vallarta

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 vj

vj
  • 2,747 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 09:04 PM

The best meal I had in PV the last time I was there... well, I had a couple of good ones and none in the city limits.

If you take the city bus south to Boca de Tomatlan, there is a restaurant just south of the bus turnaround. It has maybe four or five tables, a palapa roof, and no one there speaks any english. It is however, excellent for fresh fish and shellfish. I had shrimp tacos to die for. Here's a pic: http://www.flickr.co..._pdx/3160286802 Boca is a charming little town, with a sweet beach, but don't eat the beach -- you'll regret it.

In Bucerias, we went to a place downtown but on the beach, on the north end of Av. Pacifico. A palapa-roofed place. El Pescador. Very low key and inexpensive but very fresh fish.

And finally, Cafe Tacuba in the Marina. It's right on the marina. Victor will make you feel right at home, and while the menu does not look inspiring, it's all very very good, especially after a few shots with Victor.

None of these is expensive -- My shrimp tacos and coke was something like $2.50, and it was the best meal I had on the trip. Cafe Tacuba, it's way too easy to spend too much money on alcohol, but worth every penny (also, the best pina colata ever -- I had no idea they could be so good). And El Pescador, you could spend 100-200 pesos on a meal -- very reasonable.

#22 Kernel

Kernel
  • Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 07:04 AM

This is all great information. Thanks for the help!

#23 kjcanfield

kjcanfield
  • Members
  • 139 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 06:02 PM

Any can't miss spots in Puerta Vallarta? Hitting it up for the first time in August - Staying in Conchas Chinas and have no idea where things are in relation to each other!

#24 vj

vj
  • 2,747 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 07:55 PM

My favorite place in Old Town, near Conchas Chinas, is called La Ronda. I'll see if I can't find an address for you. It's just a very small hole in the wall with reasonably priced platos. The people that own it are sweet and the food was quite good.

#25 vj

vj
  • 2,747 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 07:59 PM

La Ronda
372 Aquiles Serdan,
1 p.m. to Midnight, Closed Mondays
http://www.dallasres...PV-LaRonda.html

A page from the PV expat publication, the Insider: http://vallarta-info...ta-insider.html

#26 kjcanfield

kjcanfield
  • Members
  • 139 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 09:52 PM

Thank you so much! We will check it out!

La Ronda
372 Aquiles Serdan,
1 p.m. to Midnight, Closed Mondays
http://www.dallasres...PV-LaRonda.html

A page from the PV expat publication, the Insider: http://vallarta-info...ta-insider.html

#27 Paola

Paola
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 12:20 PM

Hi there, I'm from Puerto Vallarta. Conchas Chinas is a great area, some of the best beaches in the city. You'll need to get a cab to old town or you can walk to Playa los Muertos over the beach, depends on which area of conchas chinas you're staying, should be a 20 min. walk to Playa los muertos/Old town. From there, you can walk downtown or take the bus to other areas in the city.

Be sure not to miss: a boat ride to Yelapa from Playa Los Muertos. A small beach town, seafood is great and beach is beautiful. Las Animas and Quimixto are beautiful, too. If you feel adventurous to get outside downtown, go to Pitillal, easy to get around and only 10 minute drive from downtown. Lots of food vendors, taquerías (tacos de birria are great here) beautiful church. If you find "cuala" across the street from the church, have some. You won't see any tourists here.

Food...

-Ocho Tostadas (ceviche and tostadas de marlin are my favorites but everything is delicious) this is right outside downtown
Río Guayaquil #413 cross street: Ecuador (Behind the soccer and baseball fields of the estadio, on the opposite side of sheraton hotel)

-Right around the corner from Ocho tostadas around the "estadio" are dozens of foodtrucks. Any should be good, but look for "Tortas Ruly" it's my aunt Socorro's, tacos, tortas and many anotjitos, it's delicious.

-In oldtown, keep an eye for "fonda" o "cenaduría" I'd recommend any ones that you find. There are really good ones near Río cuale (couple blocks from Playa los muertos) right behind "cine bahía" an abandoned movie theater, near Jacarandas street. At "fondas" you'll find the best homemade "comida corrida" meals for next to nothing. Cenadurías are open until late at night and have the best antojitos for cheap. This is also a great area for tacos al pastor and carnitas, especially at night.

-Tacos de Canasta Chabelita. Some of my favorite tacos, originally from México city. They have a small place in downtown on Calle Hildago #259 or inside the Soriana shopping center on Francisco Medina Ascencio Boulevard right outside Soriana (Grocery store)

-Pollo Feliz, their roasted chicken and homemade tortillas and quesadillas are amazing. There are a couple downtown, one on Francisco I. Madero #350 two blocks from "cine bahía" and another on Avenida México, near "cine Luz maría" also downtown.

For restaurant experience: La Chata (right on Malecón can't miss it), Café de Olla (Calle Basilio Badillo #168, near Playa los Muertos), River Café (Isla Río Cuale #4, great view right by río cuale, great for breakfast or brunch) and my new favorite restaurant in PV: La Leche on Francisco Medina Ascencio, amazing food and ambiance.

Hope that wasn't too much information, I could go on and on. Have fun!

Any can't miss spots in Puerta Vallarta? Hitting it up for the first time in August - Staying in Conchas Chinas and have no idea where things are in relation to each other!

#28 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 30 June 2011 - 12:32 PM

Thanks, Paola. La Chata was our favorite place for desayunos. Mmm, molletes and fresh juice.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#29 kjcanfield

kjcanfield
  • Members
  • 139 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 12:04 PM

Thank you!! I will be printing this out and taking it with us!

#30 ricechaz

ricechaz
  • Members
  • 250 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 06:57 AM

Headed down this Friday. Any updates? Thanks. 

Charlie
Hood River, OR

"No matter where you go...
there you are."
Dr. Buckaroo Banzai

#31 pwillen1

pwillen1
  • Members
  • 517 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 07:09 AM

Paola is active on twitter and instagram. you might contact her again.