• Please log in to reply
128 replies to this topic

#1 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,340 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 16 December 2007 - 06:02 PM

Stopped by on my way back from a Cash & Carry run. Didn't have too much time to talk to Eva though she kept "forcing" me to try more ice cream. I ended up getting a cup of cinnamon and vanilla butterscotch, both delicious. I also brought back pints of coffee caramel and cherry almond chip for the staff, which eagerly devoured them. There wasn't a drop left. I tasted the cherry almond and it was very good. The room looks great. I can see flavors and storage needing to be tinkered with a little here and there, but out of the gates I was really happy with what I tasted. Certainly right up there with the good gelato places in town but with more of an old school ice cream shop aesthetic.

Cool Moon Ice Cream Company
1105 NW Johnson Street
Portland, Oregon 97209

(503) 224-2021

http://www.coolmoonicecream.com/

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#2 katez0r

katez0r
  • Members
  • 702 posts

Posted 16 December 2007 - 06:26 PM

I stopped in today, too. I've been baking with a lot of chocolate the past few days, yet that doesn't stop me from wanting more, so I had a scoop of the chocolate chocolate chip -- delicious! smooth and creamy, a nice chocolate flavor without needing anything to wash it down. The location is also terrific, right across from Jameson Square, complete with a streetcar stop in front. The shop is cute, and the staff was very nice.

Congrats!

#3 asherdad

asherdad
  • Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 16 December 2007 - 07:51 PM

Stopped by on my way back from a Cash & Carry run. Didn't have too much time to talk to Eva though she kept "forcing" me to try more ice cream. I ended up getting a cup of cinnamon and vanilla butterscotch, both delicious. I also brought back pints of coffee caramel and cherry almond chip for the staff, which eagerly devoured them. There wasn't a drop left. I tasted the cherry almond and it was very good. The room looks great. I can see flavors and storage needing to be tinkered with a little here and there, but out of the gates I was really happy with what I tasted. Certainly right up there with the good gelato places in town but with more of an old school ice cream shop aesthetic.

Cool Moon Ice Cream Company
1105 NW Johnson Street
Portland, Oregon 97209

(503) 224-2021

http://www.coolmoonicecream.com/

We are lucky to live just across the street from Cool Moon. Tried the mint chocolate chip and mocha nut. Both were very good, and I plan to be a regular (mmm. I see diet problems ahead). :P
"Sonny boy, could ya pass me a pickle please!"

#4 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,340 posts

Posted 31 December 2007 - 05:51 PM

Got a bunch more ice cream there in two more visits. I've been bringing in ice cream for treats for our staff and brought some home to my wife. Everything I've tried has been good. Eva wasn't satisfied with her sorbets, but I tried them and thought they were really good. Sorbet is a bitch to make well and theirs wasn't overly sweet or gooey and had a nice intensity. Also, my wife had brought home some new Ben & Jerry's, the Willie Nelson peach cobbler, so I got try B&J head-to-head with Cool Moon and I think that Cool Moon's texture/mouthfeel was clearly better. I think we have some Haagen Daz in the fridge, too, which usually has the best texture of any commercially available ice cream I've tried, so I'll be interest to compare there as well. At $5/pint, it's only slightly higher priced than B&J or HD and they pack more in per pint, I think.

I think my favorite flavor so far at Cool Moon is the butter pistachio. The staff's favorite so far seems to be the mocha nut.

btw, I love the graphic on the business cards. It's so fun and bright. I like it a lot better than the ice blue graphic on the website.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#5 John DePaula

John DePaula
  • Members
  • 1,463 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted 31 December 2007 - 06:27 PM

Got a bunch more ice cream there in two more visits. I've been bringing in ice cream for treats for our staff and brought some home to my wife. Everything I've tried has been good. Eva wasn't satisfied with her sorbets, but I tried them and thought they were really good. Sorbet is a bitch to make well and theirs wasn't overly sweet or gooey and had a nice intensity. Also, my wife had brought home some new Ben & Jerry's, the Willie Nelson peach cobbler, so I got try B&J head-to-head with Cool Moon and I think that Cool Moon's texture/mouthfeel was clearly better. I think we have some Haagen Daz in the fridge, too, which usually has the best texture of any commercially available ice cream I've tried, so I'll be interest to compare there as well. At $5/pint, it's only slightly higher priced than B&J or HD and they pack more in per pint, I think.

I think my favorite flavor so far at Cool Moon is the butter pistachio. The staff's favorite so far seems to be the mocha nut.

btw, I love the graphic on the business cards. It's so fun and bright. I like it a lot better than the ice blue graphic on the website.

Butter pistachio! Yummmmmm!
--------------------
You cannot legislate compassion into your fellow man (or woman, as the case may be), but we should at least attempt to create a society in which each individual has the opportunity to realize his or her potential. If we meet our citizens' needs for Health Care and Education, everything else will take care of itself. --Me

#6 jafar

jafar
  • Members
  • 560 posts

Posted 31 December 2007 - 10:25 PM

... I think we have some Haagen Daz in the fridge, too, which usually has the best texture of any commercially available ice cream I've tried, so I'll be interest to compare there as well...

I agree on the Haagen Daz, which makes me think you might like the Double Rainbow or somesuch from San Francisco sold at Trader Joes. I really like the French Vanilla. I wish they had more flavors there, but the mouth feel is really nice and the price is very good for the quality.

#7 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,340 posts

Posted 01 January 2008 - 12:08 AM

I've never been impressed by Double Rainbow. It's decent ice cream, but I don't think it's a step down from the premium national brands.

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#8 tonyajonemiller

tonyajonemiller
  • Members
  • 383 posts

Posted 01 January 2008 - 08:35 AM

Forgot to mention that SauceSupreme, stu, karmalaundry, and I stopped by after lunch at Hiroshi. I tried the spumoni, which was very good but not quite what I was in the mood for so I went with the pistachio. Love the flavor of the ice cream and the copious amount of nuts, but I wonder if a little more toasting or something could make the nuts crisper as they were a little chewy. Took a couple of scoops of espresso home for H, and we both loved it. Much stronger coffee flavor than most and not too sweet. I'll definitely go back and try more flavors, but it will have to wait until my play closes and I don't have to be nearly naked on stage every night in front of a bunch of strangers. :unsure:
Tonya (NSFW)
Chef Crush...Because I heart cooks...

#9 Calabrese

Calabrese

Desaparecido

• Banned
  • 5,970 posts

Posted 03 February 2008 - 08:17 AM

Jill-O and I stopped by for ice cream after dinner last night. I decided on the kulfi (pistachios, cardamom, and rose water) flavor. It was chock full of nuts and definitey full of SE Asian flavors. Jill got the Hawaii Five 0 (coconut and pineapple) in a hot fudge sundae. I don't like pineapple in ice cream (sherbert or sorbet is o.k.) but that is just a personal thing. Jill-O thought the rose water in the kulfi was not something she wanted. I will say the place has lots of flavors you are not likely to find elsewhere in PDX.

#10 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,144 posts

Posted 03 February 2008 - 10:02 AM

I loved the coconut/pineapple combo in the 5-0 and had a single with hot fudge (not a true sundae, no whipped cream, nuts, etc.). The hot fudge there is really great. The only thing I would wish for is a creamier texture for the ice cream itself.

I always worry about parking being a problem, but we always seem to find a spot with a block or two...
Never give up! Never surrender!

#11 wanchi

wanchi
  • Members
  • 118 posts
  • Interests:sweets, cooking, walking, playing tennis with my older son

Posted 04 February 2008 - 01:56 PM

My kids and I stopped by yesterday. My older son and I tasted some flavors and he decided to have caramel coffee and chocolate (cannot recall the name). I had butter pecan and vanilla. I really loved my son's! We got a pint of chocolate almond (was it almondica?) to go for kids but it seems like I will eat this all before kids eat.

I still regretted that I didn't taste the grapefruits sorbet!

Is it possible to put names of ice cream flavors on your web site?

#12 boy_asunder

boy_asunder
  • Members
  • 259 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 11:25 AM

I shall dissent. A few weeks ago a friend brought some over for our Amazing Race finale get-together (yes, we are that lame). We tried cinnamon and... two other flavors. Sorry, it's been a while. Anyway, while the flavors were ok (just ok, I found it all a bit weak) I thought the texture left much to be desired. There were tons of decent-sized ice crystals in all three flavors we tried and that just ruined it for me.

I'm interested in trying it again after all of these positive reviews, but I can't say I was impressed on my first trial.

#13 BaconLuv

BaconLuv
  • Members
  • 430 posts
  • Interests:bacon, comfort food, vintage cocktails, karaoke

Posted 05 February 2008 - 11:56 AM

I decided on the kulfi (pistachios, cardamom, and rose water) flavor. It was chock full of nuts and definitey full of SE Asian flavors.

I had some really great mango kulfi at East India Co. last weekend. I'm not even a mango fan but it was pretty spectacular and made in-house. If you're a kulfi fan you may want to check out their version. (They had another flavor available too but I've forgotten what it was.)
The ironclad rule on music in any kitchen I control: NO Billy Joel, NO Grateful Dead. - Tony Bourdain

#14 rewdpost

rewdpost
  • Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 01:26 PM

I shall dissent. A few weeks ago a friend brought some over for our Amazing Race finale get-together (yes, we are that lame). We tried cinnamon and... two other flavors. Sorry, it's been a while. Anyway, while the flavors were ok (just ok, I found it all a bit weak) I thought the texture left much to be desired. There were tons of decent-sized ice crystals in all three flavors we tried and that just ruined it for me.

I'm interested in trying it again after all of these positive reviews, but I can't say I was impressed on my first trial.

I'm in the same boat. Everything we had was pretty good, but nothing that I'd go out of my way for again. It really seemed more ice milk-ish than creamy like I was expecting.
Maybe another try on another night when it's warmer and I happen to be in the neighborhood again.

Mint cookie is one of my favs but this one was kind of "meh" to me.

#15 EvaB

EvaB
  • Members
  • 669 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 04:42 PM

In early January, we adjusted the balance of ingredients in our dairy formulation to further discourage ice crystal formation. Not sure how long ago you were in, but this may have been addressed through the change. Most (though not all) of our current product reflects the new formulation, but group tests (it's a tough job but...) suggested that people preferred the original formulation for specific flavors. I assure you we are not making ice milk! Every one of our ice creams has a BF content of min. 16%. We do keep stabilizer low to maintain a more natural melting character, and we keep milk solids low to allow the subtlety of the natural ingredients to come through clearly. Both stabilizer and MS can be employed in greater quantities to create the effect of creaminess, but they exact a price with regard to other characteristics. This being said, ice crystal formation is one of the challenges with small-batch ice cream, and/but FWIW, this is most likely to occur in the home storage freezer.
Cool Moon Ice Cream

with apologies to Jack Prelutsky's "Bleezer's Ice Cream Store"

I am Eva Marianna
I run COOL MOON ICE CREAM STORE,
there are flavors in my freezer you have never seen before,
twenty-eight divine creations too delicious to resist,
why not do yourself a favor, try the flavors on my list...

#16 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,340 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 04:52 PM

I've had A LOT of their ice cream on multiple occasions and other than around some of the fillings, I haven't noticed a problem with iciness. I'd say the gelato places have been worse on average, except for Via Delizia, when it comes to iciness.

The texture after the change is definitely improved, but I thought it was darn good before. Like I said, somewhere between HD and B&J, which are both better than most anything else you can get.

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#17 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,144 posts

Posted 06 February 2008 - 08:19 AM

I've had A LOT of their ice cream on multiple occasions and other than around some of the fillings, I haven't noticed a problem with iciness. I'd say the gelato places have been worse on average, except for Via Delizia, when it comes to iciness.

The texture after the change is definitely improved, but I thought it was darn good before. Like I said, somewhere between HD and B&J, which are both better than most anything else you can get.

Wow, on both of my visits I couldn't say that anything I had (tasted at least three flavors each time) was really creamy - and nowhere near B&J or HD.

I am thrilled that I can sit down and have ice cream in a real dish with a real spoon, I like the flavors, I looove the hot fudge, and the service is very good (nice staff, really) but I'd enjoy it more if the texture of the ice cream was creamier. Not that I am a fan of stabilizers... What if the butterfat content was higher? I've never had icy frozen custard...

In any case, I am not giving up on ya Eva!
Never give up! Never surrender!

#18 wanchi

wanchi
  • Members
  • 118 posts
  • Interests:sweets, cooking, walking, playing tennis with my older son

Posted 10 February 2008 - 09:46 PM

I got a few pints of ice cream and gave a pint of Coffee Caramel to my friend. She loved it a lot! She even called me to get the address of CMI. I really love Coffee Caramel at CMI. It is so smooth and has a strong coffee flavor but not too rich (IMO).

So far, I haven't seen any ice crystals in my pints. I think the crystals show up when you leave ice cream in a freezer at home for a long time...

#19 Calabrese

Calabrese

Desaparecido

• Banned
  • 5,970 posts

Posted 11 February 2008 - 07:08 PM

I think the crystals show up when you leave ice cream in a freezer at home for a long time...

If only that were true. Long ago, I worked in a retail ice cream joint - cones, sundaes, sodas, and hand pack. Crystals are a result of a number of elements at work. The mornings after hot, busy days you could definitely see the effects of temperatue and ice cream, especially for flavors that did not sell quickly.

There's some interesting science stuff ablut ice cream making here: http://pubs.acs.org/...45icecream.html

Here's the key stuff from that article.

The size of the ice crystal is critical to the ice cream's quality. For a smooth consistency, ice crystals should be small. Large crystals lead to a coarse, grainy texture. Crystal size depends on how quickly the ice cream is frozen. Slow freezing gives a small number of large crystals, whereas fast freezing promotes a larger number of nucleation sites and, consequently, a large number of small crystals.

Of course, just because those ice crystals are small when the ice cream leaves the factory doesn't necessarily mean they'll still be small when they reach your banana split. If the temperature increases during shipping, storage at the grocery store, or even as the ice cream is transported to a consumer's freezer, those tiny crystals can melt and recrystallize into larger structures.

#20 jennifer

jennifer
  • 3,262 posts

Posted 11 February 2008 - 08:53 PM

Ina Garten was just making ice cream on tv the other day. She said for homemade ice cream, the two keys to preventing ice crystals is to (1) make sure the ice cream is stone cold before putting it in the machine, and (2) if it's processed too slowly, crystals will form.

I'm sure this is all probably oversimplified, but it's a start for someone like me who seems to consistently make icy ice cream.