Photo

Verboort's Annual Sausage & Sauerkraut Dinner Sat. Nov.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,144 posts

Posted 08 September 2004 - 08:58 AM

Hmmm....

Jim Dixon brought this up on eGullet and I'm intrigued:
http://verboort.org/dinner/index.htm

Anyone ever been? What's it like?

I'm also interested in checking out Momokawa's Sakery which also happens to be in Forest Grove http://www.sakeone.c...tastingroom.htm

What do you think?

#2 SimplySandy

SimplySandy
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 September 2004 - 04:57 AM

If you like sausage and/or kraut, this is the place to be on the first Saturday of November. It is all homemade and delicious. Comfort food at its best. The dinner is served to you at a table, family-style. Servers come around with seconds of everything and you do not leave hungry.

It is a fun, old-fashioned family day with a church bazaar, bingo, and kids games. You can buy sausage and kraut to take home. My husband has already moved his 'Got Kraut' shirt to the top of his drawer in anticipation. We try to go every year - it is definitely worth the drive!

#3 levbarg

levbarg
  • Members
  • 241 posts

Posted 12 June 2015 - 08:47 AM

We went last year with a Dutch friend of ours.  Verboort is a tiny town, and pretty provincial.  The Dutch ancestry was considerably diluted with non-Dutch things.  For example, our Dutch friend was miffed at the "Got kraut" t-shirts because that's the German term, after all, and this was not a German festival.  She was the only one that seemed to have a problem with it, though, as the Verboort descendants didn't seem to know and/or care about the distinction.

But the most important part-- the food!  The sausages and kraut were *extremely* good.  We didn't stay for the full dinner, but we did buy a few sausages at the snack bar, and took a string of links and a tub of zuurkool to go home with.  We'll definitely be going back this year.

When it gets closer to the time, I'll post a reminder here and maybe we can arrange a PFG Sausage Fest.

Mr Taster

#4 StMaximo

StMaximo
  • Members
  • 2,700 posts

Posted 12 June 2015 - 09:35 AM

Info on this year's event. As they remind you on the site; "Always the first Saturday in November".

Everyone should go at least once. They have a bazaar where you can buy things other than sausage and kraut.