Kiippis!

#2 gal4giants

gal4giants
  • Members
  • 802 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 01:00 PM

Must be a trend growing.

http://brodskis.com/index.html

just a massize void that needs to be filled....closer to us so i might check them out.

Italian Deli's where are you??

#3 sylvan

sylvan
  • Members
  • 311 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 06:20 PM

Brodski's New York Delicatessen and Restaurant
19502 Molalla Ave. Suite 123
Oregon City, Oregon 97045
#503-518-4550
EMAIL: brodskis@yahoo.com

no hours posted on website

#4 Amanda

Amanda
  • 7,626 posts
  • Interests:Eating, cooking, kayaking, canoeing, letterboxing

Posted 02 December 2007 - 06:06 AM

I think I'll stick with the deli I know and love. I rarely get to Oregon City anyway, and probably won't make a special trip for this when K&Z's seems to satisfy my deli needs. If anyone goes I'll be glad to read a report on it.

Best regards,

Amanda

#5 Jamesongrrl

Jamesongrrl
  • Members
  • 1,137 posts
  • Interests:Tied for first: Travel & Food & Motorcycles (particularly my BMW 650 GS)

Posted 03 December 2007 - 01:19 PM

Looks like K&Z will have some competition.

NOT.

(Those pictures look like they came out of a Denny's menu.)
Jamesongrrl
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.
-J.R.R. Tolkien

#6 jennifer

jennifer
  • 3,266 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 01:34 PM

NOT.

I agree with you. And the press about Roses Deli expanding...let 'em, it's not going to effect K&Z in the least. K&Z attracts a different clientele. I can't stand the food or service at Roses.

#7 keittiomestari

keittiomestari
  • Members
  • 295 posts
  • Interests:Life, food history, organic chemistry, wines, distilling, music

Posted 03 December 2007 - 01:48 PM

One never knows what a place will be like before its open....
not that I want to stir the pot at all. Just thought it interesting that there is more interest in such foods there. Isnt that better for the whole?
Keep in mind places like dennys stay open because they fill a niche, like it or not.
Kiippis!

#8 ribster22

ribster22
  • Members
  • 494 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 01:53 PM

NOT.

I for one would like to try it. Maybe I could get a latke for lunch.

#9 keittiomestari

keittiomestari
  • Members
  • 295 posts
  • Interests:Life, food history, organic chemistry, wines, distilling, music

Posted 03 December 2007 - 01:58 PM

Another thing also, not sure if it makes any difference, but I dont think that they are open yet, I pulled the info from craigslist for a place looking for workers. So maybe the pics are not exactly what the food would look like. We dont know.
Kiippis!

#10 Perkeo

Perkeo
  • Members
  • 207 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 02:20 PM

Must be a trend growing.

just a massize void that needs to be filled....closer to us so i might check them out.

I recently talked to Steve from Steve's cheese, he's working on an Italian deli right now, including a salumeria, stay tuned!

#11 gal4giants

gal4giants
  • Members
  • 802 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 03:03 PM

I recently talked to Steve from Steve's cheese, he's working on an Italian deli right now, including a salumeria, stay tuned!

yes...in kahoots with Scott Dolich i believe....all for it....a gourmet-ish pork store from what i hear

#12 MaBell

MaBell
  • Members
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 03:07 PM

This place is just a couple minutes from Clackamas Community College and OCHS. They may be hoping to gain some clientele from those two campuses. Considering their location I doubt they're looking to compete with any Portland restuarants.

According to the "about us" section, the owner's father owns Brent's Deli in LA. Anyone been to either of his restaurants?
Homer: Are you saying you're never going to eat any animal again? What about bacon?
Lisa: No.
Homer: Ham?
Homer: Pork chops?
Lisa: Dad, those all come from the same animal.
Homer: Heh heh heh. Ooh, yeah, right, Lisa. A wonderful, magical animal.

#13 ribster22

ribster22
  • Members
  • 494 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 03:38 PM

Must be a trend growing.

What about Martinotti's? I was in there several years ago and don't remember much about it.

#14 gal4giants

gal4giants
  • Members
  • 802 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 04:14 PM

i do like their soups...

#15 MaBell

MaBell
  • Members
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 06 January 2008 - 01:05 PM

Was out in OC yesterday and drove by Brodski's - they're open now. It's in a new shiny new "craftsman style" shopping center with a Starbucks, Taco Del Mar, Starbucks, a bank, a Super Cuts type place...that's all I remember. It looks like a pretty big space.

I don't get out that way very much, but maybe next time I'll give it a try.
Homer: Are you saying you're never going to eat any animal again? What about bacon?
Homer: Ham?
Homer: Pork chops?
Lisa: Dad, those all come from the same animal.
Homer: Heh heh heh. Ooh, yeah, right, Lisa. A wonderful, magical animal.

#16 ocgrandpa

ocgrandpa
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 05:35 PM

:think: Have eaten there a number of times and the food is very good. Needed for a long time in O.C.

#17 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 10 May 2008 - 05:41 PM

I have a regular customer who likes them. He's been there a couple times. Says they get everything right except the bread. Haven't tried them myself yet, but I probably will since it's close-ish to where I live now.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#18 SauceSupreme

SauceSupreme
  • Members
  • 991 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 07:35 PM

According to the "about us" section, the owner's father owns Brent's Deli in LA. Anyone been to either of his restaurants?

I've been to Brent's. In terms of the pantheon of LA deli's, Langer's is still king of pastrami, but because of its location, it's not as well trafficked as other places. Brent's is a solid #2 behind Langer's, along with places like Greenblatt's and Nate 'n' Al's.
"I'll settle for a cup of coffee, but you know what I really need." - REM

"Peel all of your layers off, I want to eat your artichoke heart." - Thom Yorke

http://lushangeles.com

#19 gal4giants

gal4giants
  • Members
  • 802 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 07:58 PM

Says they get everything right except the bread.

A big problem in this town...SO glad you guys went with your own. I need to get over there as well.

#20 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 13 May 2008 - 11:56 PM

So, I know that some people will consider me reporting on the "competition" as bad form. But I'm going to anyway and I'll be honest in doing so. Of course, if this was going to be a largely positive report, I wouldn't need this disclaimer, but here goes...

Went tonight. Quite a hike. It's in a small stripmall with the usual sort of stuff. Interior looks very much like a typical deli, like a smaller version of what you'd find in LA or NY.

There's a small deli case to the left with Dr. Brown's, matzoh and Manischewitz on the shelf behind the case. Crooners over the sound system. Granite two-tops in a surprisingly dark interior. It feels a bit chainish. The oversized menus with full color photos add a bit to that feeling, as do the embroidered polo shirts and the design of the restaurant itself.

I think those with a certain nostalgic desire for what a deli should look and feel like may prefer it. To me it's a bit sterile. Honestly, it was interesting to go there because I saw so many things we considered when developing K&Z. We really wondered how much we should try to emulate NY delis, especially in feel. Ultimately, though, we didn't want it to feel like a caricature of a deli.

I'll say that I'm a bit jealous of their functional design for the staff. There's a lot we could learn there for efficiency's sake. How the kitchen is set up. How the server area is setup. Etc. But I'm glad we went with our aesthetic. I think I'd be disappointed if we felt too much like a Shari's.

Menu is huge. Big breakfast menu with most items around $10. Just about anything you could imagine is there, plus some you wouldn't, like Tex-Mex breakfast of chorizo, eggs, cheddar, and guac on a tortilla.

There are some dinner entrees, such as a 12 oz NY steak, roast beef, corned beef and cabbage, and fish and chips.

But the largest portion of the menu is sandwiches, mostly made up of the deli meats in various combinations. They have pastrami, corned beef, chopped liver, liverwurst, roast beef, turkey, tongue, salami, ham, and some other items. Most standard sandwiches are about $10. Most combos are about $11. You can get more meat for $2.50. Not sure if you get any more food on the combos. I didn't try one. All the sandwiches come with potato salad, cole slaw, or french fries.

They also have burgers, soups, salads (in half or full portions), latkes, and blintzes.

I ordered a half cobb salad and a hot pastrami sandwich with cole slaw. The salad was pretty large. It came with lettuce and two large wedges of under-ripe tomatoes. Bacon was fine. Crumbled blue cheese was fine. Hardboiled egg was fine. Turkey was not good. Very spongey and processed seeming. Vinaigrette was decent. It reminded me of a Denny's salad. Edible but not much more.

Sandwich was better. I actually ordered slaw, but they brought me potato salad. I forgot until after I tasted the potato salad and remembered why I ordered the slaw so I didn't say anything. The potato salad was really bland and creamy/mayoey with bits of red pepper and carrot, I think. It was served diner-style on a little bed of lettuce in the perfectly spherical shape of whatever cup or disher it came from. Tasted like Sysco/Reeser/Safeway potato salad. Truly awful stuff. I had two bites and left the rest. Bread was a very light sour rye. Tasted like a commercial sourdough with same caraway seeds. Very light rye. Hardly can tell it's one. Better than Orowheat, but not by much. The pastrami was decent, however. It's real pastrami. It's fatty and looks like it comes from the plate or the eye of the plate. It's sliced thin, but not so thin that it's almost shredded like can happen at Rose's. It has a very classic deli pastrami flavor, though the coriander rub seems almost burnt or something with a little funkiness. Also, the pastrami itself gives off a shimmer that I can recognize as a result of the curing process being sped up with certain chemicals. The meat itself does have a bit of a metallic aftertaste, too, that commercial pastramis often have. But these are subtleties that I'm not sure the average consumer would notice. I've done some serious pastrami tasting and know what to look for. A little of the heavily horseradished mustard from the table covered it up. I'd put the pastrami in a similar quality range as Goldberg's in Seattle or Canter's or even Nate n Al's in LA. It's better than the Carnegie stuff you get at Costco and a lot better than the BS you get from Rose's or at the supermarket. I'd rather have the stuff from Stage or Pastrami Queen in NY or even Manny's in Chicago, however. And I'd definitely prefer the thicker cut stuff from Langer's or Katz's. But it's respectable pastrami and for some it's going to be "real" pastrami whereas what we serve is too smokey or sweet or spiced. And those who like theirs thin cut will prefer it as well. I haven't tried Kornblatt's recently enough to compare.

I've only tried a couple things. But if this meal is indicative, Brodski's represents a lot of things about deli I wanted to get beyond. So many delis I've been to are just like what I had: good pastrami and corned beef surrounded by cheap diner food. At least I know where to tell people they can go when they send back a sandwich because the pastrami is thick cut.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's