• Please log in to reply
446 replies to this topic

#41 Prone to Hyperbole

Prone to Hyperbole
  • Members
  • 658 posts

Posted 24 May 2009 - 09:50 PM

Dang you are thorough!
I'm excited about several things here. But ESPECIALLY El Paraiso Tropical!! Wow.... What a treasure to have near us here in SW PDX.

But Nick, I fully expected to see you at a certain open house anniversary thingy. Was hoping to meet you there. But again, you were up to God's work apparently. Great post! Thanks so much.

pth

PS: Your wife is a trooper! My partner would have literally KILLED me if I pulled that on him.
breakin' the law, breakin' the law!

#42 Flynn

Flynn
  • Secondary Admin
  • 3,680 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 08:40 PM

Very nice reports indeed. I'll add a couple notes:

-Lupitas has been there since November or so. SauceSupreme and I saw them open quite late on our way home from...um, Target. They're open later on the weekends (11pm-ish), but it's erratic. If they are, that's your best late evening taco truck option until you get to 185th/TV Hwy. The trucks open later on SW Allen are awful, and the truck across the street from Beaverton transit center leaves early. Another word of warning: That awesome salsa bar is typically not present in the later evenings in my experience. I dunno if they run out, pack it up, or what.

-Chavita's at Lombard and Allen is my go-to option for the close-in Westside. The smaller market has been open for awhile, and it looks like they're gonna go apeshit on the big corner space. If you're not up for driving to Wilsonville to go to Tienda San Francisco, Chavita's has the basics and is a good place to pick up Salsa Huichol, Sazon Goya and a fat grip of chicharrones. The restaurant that Zuke has pictured has only been open since March, but has some interesting steam table options. The restaurant space shows as still owned by the Chinese folks, so it looks like the Chavita's folks are leasing out the lion's share of that strip mall.

-I'm *really* looking forward to whatever the pupusaria has in store on that corner. I'll be back down Allen even more than usual if it's good, since it's a hell of a lot closer to me than Sabor Salvadoreño.

-I tried El Perico once just after it opened. It was unmemorable but I haven't been back in some time so it deserves another shot.

Overall, I'm happier with the roster of options on the westside in the ethnic area. There's more happening soon too. There's a korean grocery/deli just down the road from Golden Crown that looks to be opening. The people that own Koreana look like they're going to do something with all that Blue Sky Cafe space. There's two Korean BBQs on Canyon, to go along with Nakwon and Country Korean Restaurant. Collectively, it means that once you get past the close-in SW dead zone, there's plenty of good places to eat.

#43 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,340 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 26 May 2009 - 08:58 PM

I'd be interested to know why the plethora of mariscos on the east side and the dearth on the westside. Is it just chance? Are there clusters of Mexicans from different cities or regions that have different tastes on the east and westside of Portland? It's a mystery.

I don't know why I haven't done more Korean exploring on the west side. It's going gangbusters. I look at CKR and DJK every time I drive out on these explorations. I think it may have something to do with Asian foods being better communal eating and I'm usually on my own. Mexican food is easier to do as a solo diner. And Mexican food is my first love. Also, Ron's covered the territory for the most part, though that doesn't help the bulk of people on this board. I need to just go around and hit CKR, Haerim, Du Kuh Bee, DJK, et al. Even a place like Koreana. I've only eaten there twice and haven't gotten very deep into the menu. I've been to Nakwon plenty, but it's been a while. And it'd be interesting to taste it in contrast. Maybe I'll make a week of it. I'd like to taste Bewon against them, too. I still think that Bewon's panchan was always better than everyone else's in town. Food doesn't have to be sloppy to be authentic or good.

There are still a lot of markets to explore out there. It's been a while since I've been to all the Indian-Pakistani markets. There's that Manila Market. And I think there might be one more Filipino market. There are several Mexican/Latin American markets I still haven't checked out. And I'd like to do a comparison of breads from Yesenia's, La Espiga Dorada, and perhaps a couple others.

Lots to explore.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#44 Flynn

Flynn
  • Secondary Admin
  • 3,680 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 09:02 PM

CKR is the 'don't miss' of the lot, along with Nakwon IMO.

#45 Flynn

Flynn
  • Secondary Admin
  • 3,680 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 09:06 PM

I'll also add that it's 2009, and you should be LINKING if you're at all serious about getting people to the right places. You don't wanna end up like newspapers, do ya? :)

#46 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,340 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 09:26 PM

Uh, it's reciprocal. I link to other sites A LOT and we're rarely linked. Of course, no one reads this site. I'm the only one, allegedly, interested in what others say. FD, SS -- no they just don't have the time to look at everything on the web. :D But hey, maybe if we were a big national forum with a strong Google visibility, it might be worth posting and linking. Cough, cough. Luckily, no one I am referring to reads this site, so I don't have to worry about offending anyone. :)

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#47 Flynn

Flynn
  • Secondary Admin
  • 3,680 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 09:44 PM

All that ego stuff should have nothing to do with it. See the hub....BE THE HUB.

#48 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,340 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 10:20 PM

No ego. Just pointing out the hypocrisy since I already make a real effort to acknowledge and link. I've linked to him before, highlighted links, acknowledged his work, and I'm sure I'll do so in the future. It ain't googlebucks running this place. Besides, does anyone need to acknowledge the ULTIMATE Portland dining guide? I mean, how can its ultimacy be denied. :) The rest of us can only hope to get a glimmer of its burning fire.

btw, your fingers broke?

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#49 Flynn

Flynn
  • Secondary Admin
  • 3,680 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 10:49 PM

Touché!

My fingers, although overworked and underpaid, are functional.

#50 Calabrese

Calabrese

Desaparecido

• Banned
  • 5,970 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 11:23 PM

Here's one you missed

Not Mexican but Westside ethnic....

http://www.activedin.../profile/729668

Boba Licious
13543 NW Cornell Rd
Portland, OR 97229

Bubble Tea and Fillipino

Had lunch there last week.... two meats and rice reasonable.. the adobo pork (beloved by Fillipino co-worker was not to my taste but the chicken in coconut milk with spices and fresh ginger was killer good)

There is a Mexican joint and a Hawaiian joint in the same strip mall.

#51 Kristi

Kristi
  • 2,042 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 05:18 AM

Here's one you missed

Not Mexican but Westside ethnic....

http://www.activedin.../profile/729668

Boba Licious
13543 NW Cornell Rd
Portland, OR 97229

Bubble Tea and Fillipino

Had lunch there last week.... two meats and rice reasonable.. the adobo pork (beloved by Fillipino co-worker was not to my taste but the chicken in coconut milk with spices and fresh ginger was killer good)

There is a Mexican joint and a Hawaiian joint in the same strip mall.

They have food at Boba Licious? I had no idea. Thanks for the tip.

#52 Calabrese

Calabrese

Desaparecido

• Banned
  • 5,970 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 05:26 AM

They do at lunch time..... you order at the counter.... then sit down and they bring over...

#53 rewdpost

rewdpost
  • Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 12:22 PM

They do at lunch time..... you order at the counter.... then sit down and they bring over...

It's a relatively recent change. New owners took the place over a little over a year ago or so if I remember correctly.

The new owners had intended to start up with food right away, but it took some time to get the small space converted and get the steam trays installed and all that.

Food seems to be an all-day thing, not just lunch.
Wish I could add to the comments on the food, but I honestly haven't eaten there yet. Still stop by for boba every now and then though. I think I recommend this place in another thread diverging into bubble tea.

The Mexican place next door is pretty standard american-mexican food from what I remember. Really nice owners, but pretty standard food.

#54 Calabrese

Calabrese

Desaparecido

• Banned
  • 5,970 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 06:15 AM

Upon further reflection - and issues of beer taps aside - I think a lot of their clientele are people coming into Portland from the suburbs. There's a blandness and mediocrity to the chains that have taken over the burbs, and this has shaped the tastes of the local populace. So when they come into Portland they look for something familiar and safe. So they go to Henry's, PF Changs, Rock Bottom, Noodles, et al.

I knew a guy once that I took some marketing courses from - very successful businessman and well off. He told me that he's on the road a lot, and that when he is, he tends to go to fast food places instead of the mom and pops because they're safe. He knows the food will be mediocre, but at least it's a sure thing that it will be mediocre, while it could be even worse at a local place.

One of the most depressing things I think I'd ever heard.

Ken, sadly Beaverton is pretty much lacking any decent options that are local. Mingo comes to mind but not a lot else. Hall Street claims to be local, but the food is pretty chain like in execution and quality. And while some people here like some of the Beaverton/Hillsboro East Indian restaurants, the East Indians I work with don't care for them at all.

#55 salmonfly65

salmonfly65
  • Members
  • 192 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 08:47 AM

Ken, sadly Beaverton is pretty much lacking any decent options that are local. Mingo comes to mind but not a lot else. Hall Street claims to be local, but the food is pretty chain like in execution and quality. And while some people here like some of the Beaverton/Hillsboro East Indian restaurants, the East Indians I work with don't care for them at all.

One word - DeCarli

#56 Flynn

Flynn
  • Secondary Admin
  • 3,680 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 09:10 AM

Ken, sadly Beaverton is pretty much lacking any decent options that are local.

Not even remotely true. You have to explore it though. There's not a whole lot of media/online coverage so sometimes you're on your own finding the gems.

#57 chefken

chefken
  • Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 10:14 AM

Ken, sadly Beaverton is pretty much lacking any decent options that are local.

Not even remotely true. You have to explore it though. There's not a whole lot of media/online coverage so sometimes you're on your own finding the gems.

I know...I mean, I keep hearing about this Korean place or that Vietnamese or Mexican or Italian place, all of whom seem to be independents. Are they busy?

I remember the first time going to El Inka in Gresham on a Saturday night. It was fabulous, but 2/3 empty. The Sizzler 2 blocks away had a line out the door.
signature

#58 BigDaddy

BigDaddy
  • Members
  • 811 posts
  • Interests:Poker, reading, disability rights, nonalcoholic beverages, longtime friend of Bill W.

Posted 21 January 2010 - 12:09 PM

I know...I mean, I keep hearing about this Korean place or that Vietnamese or Mexican or Italian place, all of whom seem to be independents. Are they busy?
I remember the first time going to El Inka in Gresham on a Saturday night. It was fabulous, but 2/3 empty. The Sizzler 2 blocks away had a line out the door.

They're generally not busy unless there's a national holiday or a soccer match. Much like Gresham, you'll see people coming out the ass end of TJ McPicklePoopers and be able to walk in and sit down at these places. We find ourselves in Beaverton way too much for otherwise sane people. WinCo, Costco, Trader Joes, and a meal out is a high livin' Saturday date night for us.

#59 Flynn

Flynn
  • Secondary Admin
  • 3,680 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 01:23 PM

Yuzu: Insanely packed 6pm-9pm almost every night. Sometimes even later. But it's a tiny place.
Ikenohana: Packed for the dinner rush. Usually slammed 11:30-1:30pm for lunch as well.
Hakatamon: Often insane during the dinner rush, some weeknights the exception. Lunch is much better.
Sanchez Taqueria: Slammed almost every night, busy during Sat/Sun as well.
Siete Estrellas: Slammed during lunch, mostly empty during dinner.
Pho Van: Busy during both lunch and dinner.
Chennai Masala: Packed during lunch, busy some weeknights during dinner, usually busy weekend nights that I've been
Syun: Very busy at both lunch and dinner.

The Korean places like Nakwon, CKR, JCD and Koreana also seem busy during the evenings too, but it's almost all Koreans (Koreana gets a more diverse crowd it seems). The places in the list above I mentioned are more diverse. Especially Sanchez, which is like a United Colors of Benetton ad every time I'm in there. I've hit a couple busy times at Chicago's Windy City now too, which is nice to see.

It's fun for foodies to play this game to turn their nose up at the burbs, or to bemoan their forced bridge'n'tunneling, but it's mostly bullshit. Yeah yeah, there's no Apizza Scholls or Le Pigeon or Pok Pok.

#60 Flynn

Flynn
  • Secondary Admin
  • 3,680 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 01:26 PM

We find ourselves in Beaverton way too much for otherwise sane people. WinCo, Costco, Trader Joes, and a meal out is a high livin' Saturday date night for us.

That's funny, since I've been getting people out to Beav to make a night of it. Reverse osmosis and all that.