• Please log in to reply
446 replies to this topic

#441 polloelastico

polloelastico
  • Members
  • 2,749 posts
  • Interests:Tantric yoga and deck shuffleboard

Posted 17 December 2015 - 07:33 PM

I haven't had Lee's in years but the one in San Jose was absolute shit.
“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” — George Carlin

#442 jennifer

jennifer
  • 3,264 posts

Posted 11 February 2016 - 10:16 AM

Khao San opened its second location in Bethany Village yesterday.  I didn't go over there but heard they were slammed.

Tuesday or Wed morning (can't remember which) I was behind their tuk tuk driving a pack of neighborhood kids to school.  Right through the school drop off line.  All the kids went bonkers. And I'm sure half the school ran home to their parents telling them all about it. 

Last week, they fed the entire school staff lunch. 

Smart marketing for this area. I'm learning more & more than families around here give their dollars to businesses that are family friendly & integrate into the community and schools around here. 

There's an Italian restaurant also going into Bethany Village. Hand made pastas and so on.  Don't know much else yet.

The micro restaurants are slooooow this time of year.  No one wants to sit outside, even with heat lamps and such.  Summertime was crazy busy. 

#443 jennifer

jennifer
  • 3,264 posts

Posted 28 February 2016 - 02:09 PM

Main Street Lobster in Bethany Village is closed. This place is going in the same spot: www.acajunlife.com

#444 RM

RM
  • Members
  • 589 posts

Posted 04 June 2016 - 10:42 AM

We finally got down to try Sweet Jam, the new breakfast & music spot that opened near us last month. They're located at 8775 Canyon Lane in the space that used to be the Leher, next to Tusi's Soccer. They've lightened up the space and removed the pool tables. Their thing is southern breakfast meets music. They're open every day at 7AM. They have live music on Saturday and Sunday from 12 to 4PM. They're just starting a Happy Hour M-F 4PM until 7PM.  http://www.portlandsweetjam.com/

I had the classic benedict and my wife had the country fried steak (and she deleted the eggs). Very attractive plates, benedict was tasty and the house potatoes were light and not greasy. Wife really enjoyed the country steak. The sausage gravy was light and not pasty and the sausage hunks were about 1/2" in diameter. She ended up taking the last bits home. Prices are not cheap but they did deduct $2.50 from the steak price for deleting the eggs. We ate at 1000 and when we left around 1100 the place was filling up. In addition to the 2 and 4 tops there are a few booths and two sitting areas (couches, over stuffed chairs, etc.) as well as a bar that sits about a dozen.

I believe that the Portland Prime folks own this place. Its a nice addition to the neighborhood and I hope that they last. I'll be checking out their happy hour next week.

#445 jennifer

jennifer
  • 3,264 posts

Posted 15 June 2016 - 07:40 AM

Been to Dang's in Orenco Station a few times now, it's excellent. They were full last night too, good to see. My favorite thing so far is the "swimming duck in red curry."  I've tried 3 of their curries and each was well balanced and spot on.  I think they make my favorite Thai curries in town.  Based on his previous 2 places, I have no idea how long it will stay this good, but we intend to get our fix before it goes South, which hopefully it never will.  If you go, order from the Specials list on the back of the menu. Those are their best dishes.

Next door to Dang's is Alotto Gelato. Absolute crap. Worst frozen dairy dessert-like product of all time.  Dairy Queen would've been better.

Around the corner is Petite Provence. Same pastry counter as their other outposts, plus breakfast, lunch, dinner.  Lots of outdoor seating for when it warms up.  This place will be swamped.

Bethany Village Micro Restaurants - Waffle Window is coming. Neighborhood kids will love this!

#446 JimProuty

JimProuty
  • Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 10 August 2016 - 08:38 AM

We finally got down to try Sweet Jam, the new breakfast & music spot that opened near us last month. They're located at 8775 Canyon Lane in the space that used to be the Leher, next to Tusi's Soccer. They've lightened up the space and removed the pool tables. Their thing is southern breakfast meets music. They're open every day at 7AM. They have live music on Saturday and Sunday from 12 to 4PM. They're just starting a Happy Hour M-F 4PM until 7PM.  http://www.portlandsweetjam.com/

I had the classic benedict and my wife had the country fried steak (and she deleted the eggs). Very attractive plates, benedict was tasty and the house potatoes were light and not greasy. Wife really enjoyed the country steak. The sausage gravy was light and not pasty and the sausage hunks were about 1/2" in diameter. She ended up taking the last bits home. Prices are not cheap but they did deduct $2.50 from the steak price for deleting the eggs. We ate at 1000 and when we left around 1100 the place was filling up. In addition to the 2 and 4 tops there are a few booths and two sitting areas (couches, over stuffed chairs, etc.) as well as a bar that sits about a dozen.

I believe that the Portland Prime folks own this place. Its a nice addition to the neighborhood and I hope that they last. I'll be checking out their happy hour next week.

Went to Sweet Jam last Friday. The food is good (I had the chicken and waffles). Service is slow. Price is high.

#447 jennifer

jennifer
  • 3,264 posts

Posted 16 November 2016 - 10:53 AM

Update on Bethany Village micros:  Baba's Mediterranean Grill and Waffle Window are both open. 

Waffle Window has overshot my expectations by a mile. Very surprised at how good this is.  Fried chicken, waffle, gravy, shockingly good. Apple pie waffle, also good. Nice sturdy tart apples, nice caramel and so on. Overall the sweet side of the menu is too sweet for me.  But that's me with most dessert type things, so ymmv.  I really like the "walking waffle", which is just a plain waffle very lightly dusted with powdered sugar. Perfect for me.  This place is mobbed, btw. Sunday morning, line was 20-deep with families waiting everywhere. 

Baba's makes great falafel but I can't quite figure out how to order the rest of the menu so we like what we get. 

The Italian place is now in full construction mode. I heard they were waiting on their liquor license.  Menu looks very traditional.  We'll see how this plays out.  I hope it works for them, they're clearly making a sizable investment in the space.