Beaverton, Hillsboro & West Side Restaurants

• Please log in to reply
446 replies to this topic

#1 Lolivet

Lolivet
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 November 2007 - 07:22 AM

I'm doing dinner and a movie at Cinetopia/Vinotopia this year, it looks like. Beowulf in 3D and whatever they're serving. I called and they have their normal hours.

http://www.cinetopiatheaters.com/

Ok, we are fairly new in town (moved from Atlanta) and I went on the Cinetopia website and was blown away. Who can tell me more about it? I so, want to go!

On another note, I have to say, we have been very dissappointed with the quality of food in many restaurants here so far. I hate to say it, because I am not snobby when it comes to food, but so far, our choices have resulted in anything from in-edible to meehh. We do live in the Beaverton/ALoha area, is that the problem? We can't find a decent pizza anywhere! Escape from New York was baaaadddd!

#2 ASquared

ASquared
  • Members
  • 444 posts

Posted 22 November 2007 - 08:15 AM

I'm doing dinner and a movie at Cinetopia/Vinotopia this year, it looks like. Beowulf in 3D and whatever they're serving. I called and they have their normal hours.

Ok, we are fairly new in town (moved from Atlanta) and I went on the Cinetopia website and was blown away. Who can tell me more about it? I so, want to go!

On another note, I have to say, we have been very dissappointed with the quality of food in many restaurants here so far. I hate to say it, because I am not snobby when it comes to food, but so far, our choices have resulted in anything from in-edible to meehh. We do live in the Beaverton/ALoha area, is that the problem? We can't find a decent pizza anywhere! Escape from New York was baaaadddd!

Welcome to Portland!

I have made almost the exact same post as you. I moved up from the SF Bay Area. What I have found is that you can't expect any random place you walk in to be decent (which had not been my experience previously). The good places are the exception, but not the rule. You'll find that average here is not very good. In other places I have lived average is good and bad places don't last very long. Don't know why that is, but it is. This site is a great resource to find the good places. Also you can start with ExtraMsg's tip sheet:

http://www.extramsg....d_tipsheet.html

#3 Amanda

Amanda
  • 7,624 posts
  • Interests:Eating, cooking, kayaking, canoeing, letterboxing

Posted 22 November 2007 - 08:30 AM

Thanks for posting Lolivet and welcome!

I've been to Cinetopia for a movie and Vinetopia for dinner afterwards. We went to see 3:10 to Yuma when it first came out. Dinner was outstanding. John had a steak and I had halibut. The food is artfully plated and very delicious. Wine pairings are well-done, too. It's not the place to go if you're on a budget, though, and the wine that might pair well with your meal might be pretty spendy. It's kind of weird to be in a fancy restaurant while watching others getting popcorn at the snack bar, sort of, so if you can get seated toward the back that would probably do well to enhance the ambiance. I would definitely go there again when I'm flush with dough or have a coupon.

As far as your experience with Portland dining...Beaverton and the far Westside are generally not known for culinary excellence. There are a few bright spots here and there, though. I'll let those who live out that way expound. Get closer into town Pearl/downtown/close-in East and gastronomic heaven awaits your arrival! We definitely have great places to eat in this city. Another thing to remember, Portland is very casual so if you're going to dress up and be fancy that is wonderful...just don't expect other customers in the restaurant to be of the same ilk.
Portland is a great dining town these days and if you read reports on restaurants on this board you will probably be steered in the right direction and find some places to eat that you will really love, upscale or inexpensive.

Best regards,

Amanda

#4 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,144 posts

Posted 22 November 2007 - 09:04 AM

Welcome to Beaverton/Aloha/Portland Lolivet! We live just inside the Portland/Multnomah County line, so I know what you mean as far as lots of lousy food out here. In Beaverton, Mingo (in the Beaverton Round) and Pho Van (in Beaverton Town Center) are the two of the best places we have found to eat out this way. Don't usually have pho at Pho Van, but their sausage hand roll, cha gio, and pork in clay pot (which is usually on the specials board) are always winners for us. In Hillsdale, Alba Osteria is a good choice too (esp for the pastas and appetizers).

Amanda is right, though, heading into Portland proper (whether it be NW Portland or crossing the river into N, NE and/or SE Portland) will increase your chances dramatically for finding good food. We do it all the time. Getting to dinner early (before 6pm) usually means not having to wait.

Best pizza I have had in town (and I am very picky about my pizza) is at Apizza Scholls on SE Hawthorne. In the last year I think I have had my three best meals at Toro Bravo (marvelously consistent in terms of great food and service), Sel Gris, and Hiroshi. Places I also really like that rarely disappoint me: Carlyle, Kenny & Zuke's (but they just opened), Masu East, Karam, Podnah's, Simpatica, Whiskey Soda Lounge/Pok Pok.

Look around the site a bit and see what folks have been saying about various places. Feel free to ask questions and if you go, report back and let us know what you think!
Never give up! Never surrender!

#5 jmatt

jmatt
  • Members
  • 430 posts

Posted 22 November 2007 - 11:36 AM

Beaverton is definitely good if you like Korean or Japanese food.

#6 RM

RM
  • Members
  • 589 posts

Posted 22 November 2007 - 12:43 PM

Agree with Jill-Os recommendations. and jmatt is right about Korean and Japanese - recommend Hae Rim and Hakatamon.

Pepper Tree Thai, on Beaverton-Hillsdale Hwy just east of Scholls Ferry is pretty good.
McCormick's Fish House, a part of the McCormick & Schmick chain and also located on B-H Hwy, has cheal apps at happy hour , including 1/2 lb cheesburger and fries for $1.95.
Hall St Grill is convenient and ok but not a destination restaurant.
Check out Gloria's Secret in old town Beaverton for great tamales. Dessert Tray in old town area has a good selection of sweets and is only a few blocks from Beaverton Bakery.

#7 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,340 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 22 November 2007 - 12:44 PM

West side can also be good for Indian, Mexican and Central American, too.

One thing to realize is that Portland is more like San Francisco, NY, or Chicago in that restaurant quality generally dissipates as you move away from the center of town, unlike sprawling Southern cities where the best restaurants generally lie in the outlying areas. The outlying areas here are where the chains are. (Or where certain ethnic restaurants are.) Portland-proper has a very low number of chains compared with most cities.

I disagree with ASquared. It's easy enough to randomly find bad food in any city. I've found plenty of crap in the bay area, eg.

If you're looking for pizza, you'll need to describe what a good pizza is to you. Pizza has enough variety and people are particular enough about what they like (and you're not moving from a place known for its peculiar pizza culture) that one person's bad could be another person's good.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#8 jennifer

jennifer
  • 3,259 posts

Posted 22 November 2007 - 01:36 PM

Hi Lovivet - We live in Beaverton/Bethany area and struggle with the same thing. Best eats on this side of town (for us) are Pho Van in Beaverton Town Square (on Canyon Rd), Syun in downtown Hillsboro for Japanese, La Hana for Japanese off Imbrie Rd in Hillsboro (just off Hwy 26). If we want a good burger, we go to Stanfords (a chain, but they make a great burger). Sometimes we'll grab a few pizza slices & a pear/arugula salad at Pizzacato on Cornell Rd. Not great, but for nights that we don't feel like cooking or making the drive downtown, it's better than a lot of the other offerings. Mostly though, we head downtown or to the East side for many of the places listed all over this website. There's a Korean BBQ / Shabu Shabu place that just opened this week on Canyon Rd, right near Pho Van. Haven't been yet so I don't know if it's good. And there's a new French bakery on 185th & Baseline that's putting out some great pastries. The scones are outstanding.

#9 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,144 posts

Posted 22 November 2007 - 01:49 PM

Speaking of good Korean, there's also Nakwon in old Beaverton. And I've heard that Ho Soon Yi on Beaverton-Hillsdale, just east of Scholls Ferry is good too.

Yeah jennifer, I noticed that bbq/shabu shabu place the other day. Here's hoping... If you try it before we do, please post and let us all know how it is.

#10 dretceterini

dretceterini
  • Members
  • 683 posts

Posted 22 November 2007 - 01:56 PM

Hi Lovivet - We live in Beaverton/Bethany area and struggle with the same thing. Best eats on this side of town (for us) are Pho Van in Beaverton Town Square (on Canyon Rd), Syun in downtown Hillsboro for Japanese, La Hana for Japanese off Imbrie Rd in Hillsboro (just off Hwy 26). If we want a good burger, we go to Stanfords (a chain, but they make a great burger). Sometimes we'll grab a few pizza slices & a pear/arugula salad at Pizzacato on Cornell Rd. Not great, but for nights that we don't feel like cooking or making the drive downtown, it's better than a lot of the other offerings. Mostly though, we head downtown or to the East side for many of the places listed all over this website. There's a Korean BBQ / Shabu Shabu place that just opened this week on Canyon Rd, right near Pho Van. Haven't been yet so I don't know if it's good. And there's a new French bakery on 185th & Baseline that's putting out some great pastries. The scones are outstanding.

What is the name of the place on Canyon that has all the carved large wooden bears in front of it? Had dinner there last week (don't often go to the SW area) and it wasn't bad typical american chain food for a cheap price...

#11 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,144 posts

Posted 22 November 2007 - 02:06 PM

What is the name of the place on Canyon that has all the carved large wooden bears in front of it? Had dinner there last week (don't often go to the SW area) and it wasn't bad typical american chain food for a cheap price...

Black Bear Diner: http://www.blackbeardiner.com/

#12 jennifer

jennifer
  • 3,259 posts

Posted 22 November 2007 - 02:24 PM

Black Bear Diner: http://www.blackbeardiner.com/

Is this the place next to Carriage Car Wash? If so, never been in there.

The new Korean BBQ / Shabu Shabu place is where Canyon Pearl used to be. I wonder if it's the same owners. We were going to head over there last night but decided against fighting traffic the night before Turkey day. :-) I'm guessing we'll get over there next week. I'll keep you posted.

There's also a new place on Cornell near Cornelius Pass Rd in Hillsboro called "Hot Pot & Sushi". It also claims to have shabu shabu so I'm interested in trying that out also.

#13 mgmgbooks

mgmgbooks
  • Members
  • 84 posts

Posted 22 November 2007 - 02:43 PM

We recently ate at Merchant of Venice Cafe in Orenco Station in Hillsboro. My entree was outstanding. It was "POLLO-Roasted bone-in breast of chicken, stuffed under the skin with wild mushroom butter and
served with a natural pan jus and creative smashed potatoes". My husband had the "LINGUINE with Dungeness crab, spinach, basil, roasted red pepper puree, orange zest and lobster stock". He really enjoyed that as well. The quality of the entrees was definitely up from previous trips. Their food was never bad but never before did I say "wow!"

#14 ASquared

ASquared
  • Members
  • 444 posts

Posted 23 November 2007 - 06:56 AM

I disagree with ASquared. It's easy enough to randomly find bad food in any city. I've found plenty of crap in the bay area, eg.

I'll try and say what I meant in a different way. If you put all the restaurants in a city on a quality scale, took away the top third and the bottom third and went to all the ones in the middle (the "average places"), IMHO Portland's selection would not fare well against most other city's. So the odds of walking in to a random establishment in Portland and it being good are less than in most other places (again, IMHO), since the average place is usually fair at best, while my experience in other places (like SF/Oakland/Berkeley) has been that the average place is usually good.

#15 dretceterini

dretceterini
  • Members
  • 683 posts

Posted 23 November 2007 - 07:11 AM

Has anyone tried Tom's Pancake House on TV highway? Looks like it has been there for at least 40 years....

#16 Leeper

Leeper
  • Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 23 November 2007 - 08:12 AM

Has anyone tried Tom's Pancake House on TV highway? Looks like it has been there for at least 40 years....

We love the pancake house, it is old school classic breakfast. Don't expect the Bijou but for pancakes, eggs and meat it is great.

#17 Calabrese

Calabrese

Desaparecido

• Banned
  • 5,970 posts

Posted 23 November 2007 - 09:02 AM

Speaking of breakfast, the Original Pancake House on Barbur is a great place, if you can stand the wait or just get there very early.

#18 ptweiler77

ptweiler77
  • Members
  • 129 posts
  • Interests:Food, cooking, sustainable agriculture

Posted 24 November 2007 - 01:01 AM

Yes, the west side will not be mistaken for a culinary mecca any time soon. However, there are a few good places here and there. Some that haven't been mentioned yet:

Tresca- Italian in downtown Hillsboro. This place was not very good the first time I went. But they got a new chef and the last time we tried it everything was really good. Beware, the portion sizes are too big for many things, including desserts. One thing- don't go if you are in a big hurry- this place can sometimes have slow service because it's small and sometimes has just 1 server.

Vivi's Noodle House- by the Hillsboro airport on 25th off cornell. I've seen many restaurants fail in this location, but Vivi's seems to have developed a good lunch crowd quickly. Vietnamese is the focus here- you can't go wrong with a big bowl of Pho or some Bun.

Zab Thai- on Baseline- in Aloha/Hillsboro- consistently good curry and other thai dishes like pad thai, etc. Much better than Thai Orchid and more reasonably priced than Typhoon! (though typhoon happy hour is pretty nice)

Jin Wah- pretty decent dim sum- in beaverton on canyon near 217

Pizza roma- decent local chain pizza of the thin crispy crust variety- on cornelius pass by fred meyer

Szechuan House- chinese food- by Big Lots! on TV highway- I might be the only person who likes this place better than Happy Panda (which I don't really like)- but it's a small hole in the wall run by a nice family. The main reason I keep going back is the great hot and sour soup which is much different than I've had anywhere else.

Bugatti's- not the best ever, but consistently good Italian American local chain- and committed to local, sustainable and organic- which is something you don't find much of in the burbs. Locations in Cedar Hills Crossing and Tanasbourne.

Reedville Cafe- TV highway, aloha- breakfast is the best meal here, happy hour is fun too. This place has been in business a long time. If you want to catch a movie after you eat, you can get $6 movie tix for regal that you can use right down the street at movies on tv.

That's about it, except Burgerville for the quick burger or chicken strips. But I do agree- the best food is not in Beaverton, Hillsboro, or any of the burbs- it's in P-town.
Keep up with me on My Blog

#19 ptweiler77

ptweiler77
  • Members
  • 129 posts
  • Interests:Food, cooking, sustainable agriculture

Posted 24 November 2007 - 01:09 AM

We recently ate at Merchant of Venice Cafe in Orenco Station in Hillsboro. My entree was outstanding. It was "POLLO-Roasted bone-in breast of chicken, stuffed under the skin with wild mushroom butter and
served with a natural pan jus and creative smashed potatoes". My husband had the "LINGUINE with Dungeness crab, spinach, basil, roasted red pepper puree, orange zest and lobster stock". He really enjoyed that as well. The quality of the entrees was definitely up from previous trips. Their food was never bad but never before did I say "wow!"

Glad to hear MOV has improved. We used to go there a couple times a year at least. But the last time we went (which was probably well over a year ago) it was not good. We were especially disappointed with the desserts, which seemed like they came pre-packaged. We asked our server something about the dessert (i don't recall exactly what) and they couldn't tell us, which we presumed was probably because they didn't make them in house.
Keep up with me on My Blog

#20 StMaximo

StMaximo
  • Members
  • 2,698 posts

Posted 24 November 2007 - 07:04 AM

I haven't been in that place for almost 40 years! It was an after church breakfast stop for us in the late 60's and early 70's.