Photo

Thanksgiving Cooking

• Please log in to reply
143 replies to this topic

Poll: Stuffing: in or out? (47 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you actually stuff your bird or cook the dressing in a separate dish?

1. Of course, I stuff the bird! It's the way my mamma did it! (3 votes [6.38%])

Percentage of vote: 6.38%

2. Out of the bird! Stuffing is unsanitary and makes the dressing too moist. (26 votes [55.32%])

Percentage of vote: 55.32%

3. In and out...give the people a choice! (18 votes [38.30%])

Percentage of vote: 38.30%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#141 polloelastico

polloelastico
  • Members
  • 2,749 posts
  • Interests:Tantric yoga and deck shuffleboard

Posted 22 November 2013 - 10:08 AM

Not big meat eaters in my extended family so i ordered a petite turkey from New Seasons that I'm going to pick up Wednesday night. Going to spatchcock it, slather in sage/thyme/garlic compound butter and plenty of salt and pepper, let it sit overnight, then mark on the grill for 5 minutes per side before moving it to the oven to finish.

Rest of the sides are pretty much standard - mashed potatoes with cream and butter and roasted garlic, roasted potatoes with fried sage leaves, cranberry relish with orange zest, green bean almondine, and mushroom/celery/bread stuffing with herbs that I bake in a muffin pan for individual stuffing "popovers", lots of gravy made from leftover chicken stock in my freezer and punched up with the turkey backbone (removed from spatchcocking) and aromatics and sage/thyme. Pumpkin pie bought from somewhere.

“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” — George Carlin

#142 polloelastico

polloelastico
  • Members
  • 2,749 posts
  • Interests:Tantric yoga and deck shuffleboard

Posted 22 November 2013 - 10:10 AM

Spatchcocking: http://www.seriousea...atchcocked.html

“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” — George Carlin

#143 jennifer

jennifer
  • 3,264 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 11:09 AM

We did a Spatchcocked turkey last year for Christmas.  Was too chicken shit to try it at Thanksgiving, so somehow Christmas seemed more forgiving.  Anyway we had New Seasons spatchcock it for us.  Brined it using the Chez Panisse brine, rubed it with butter and fresh herbs, and baked it at 400.  Awesome way to cook a bird!  I think this one was 13 lbs.  Super crisp skin, and very moist inside.

DSC06376.JPG

I'm just now remembering, last year with our Thanksgiving turkey we tried a dry-brine for the first time instead of a wet brine.  We're going back to the web brine this year.  The dry brine produced the best skin ever, but the meat lacked the flavor that the wet brine gives it.  And the skin from the wet brine is still gorgeous, so there's no real downside of the wet brine for us other than the PIA factor.

#144 StMaximo

StMaximo
  • Members
  • 2,701 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 12:01 PM

Spatchcocking is the way to go in my book. I've never used it on anything bigger than a 14/15 pounder. Breast meat doesn't get overcooked either.

It's also the best way to prepare a bird for smoking too.

I'm picking up one of the New Season's Petite Turkeys on Monday just for the smoker.