Photo

Thanksgiving Cooking

• Please log in to reply
143 replies to this topic

Poll: Stuffing: in or out? (47 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you actually stuff your bird or cook the dressing in a separate dish?

1. Of course, I stuff the bird! It's the way my mamma did it! (3 votes [6.38%])

Percentage of vote: 6.38%

2. Out of the bird! Stuffing is unsanitary and makes the dressing too moist. (26 votes [55.32%])

Percentage of vote: 55.32%

3. In and out...give the people a choice! (18 votes [38.30%])

Percentage of vote: 38.30%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#121 Jenny

Jenny
  • Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 01:34 PM

Thanks to everyone for your smoked turkey suggestions!

#122 tejon

tejon
  • 685 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 06:52 PM

<snip>
One of our guests can't eat cows milk...I wonder what to do about the mashed potatoes...I may just make two batches. I have never cooked with soy milk...would that work for mashed potatoes? If soy milk would work, my plan would be to make one big batch of potatoes with the soy milk and then set a few portions aside and add butter to the rest.
<snip>
Thanks!

Although I rest firmly in the "Nothins-Better-Than-Cream-And-Lots-Of-Butter" Camp, I find that a drizzle of good olive oil can work well in Mashed Potatoes for those that can't eat milk.

Is the non-eater lactose intolerant, or do they have an actual milk allergy? If they're lactose intolerant, most butters have very small amounts of lactose in them, and so shouldn't cause a problem. Using a cultured butter is always a good idea. If they're actually allergic to milk, I'd suggest chicken or turkey stock, plus some of the aforementioned roasted garlic.

You can also use Earth Balance margarine, which doesn't have any casein (dairy) in it instead of butter. It has a nice butter taste and isn't hard to find.
- Kathy

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

#123 Sarah-SE Burbs

Sarah-SE Burbs
  • Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 11:32 AM

I am Lactose intolerant and have not yet found a love for the soy milk, but they do have "lactose free" milk available.

While not really a vegetarian (more like a "bacon eating pescatarian") I eat a lot of veggie food but I'm not a big fan of tofu and I don't think I have ever tried soy milk!

also- homemade marshmallows don't have the same stability in roasting conditions as store bought ones. Just as a heads up- cause that means it won't be the same mallowed yams as what he is remembering.

My plan is to top the yams with the marshmallows at the last minute and slip them under the broiler to brown...if that doesn't work I'll call them Yams with "marshmallow sauce".

Although I rest firmly in the "Nothins-Better-Than-Cream-And-Lots-Of-Butter" Camp, I find that a drizzle of good olive oil can work well in Mashed Potatoes for those that can't eat milk.

I am going to go with olive oil, garlic, and stock for one batch and milk and butter for the other.

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions! The guest with the dairy allergy (along with an allergy to corn) is acutally my step-father...my Mom was really good about making food that he could eat, unfortunately my Mom died a few months ago and so holiday cooking for the family is now my sisters and my job. My Mom's death was unexpected, and a lot of recipes died with her. I recommend that everyone ask their family cooks to write down their favorite holiday recipes on Thanksgiving :)

#124 John DePaula

John DePaula
  • Members
  • 1,463 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted 26 November 2008 - 01:24 PM

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions! The guest with the dairy allergy (along with an allergy to corn) is acutally my step-father...my Mom was really good about making food that he could eat, unfortunately my Mom died a few months ago and so holiday cooking for the family is now my sisters and my job. My Mom's death was unexpected, and a lot of recipes died with her. I recommend that everyone ask their family cooks to write down their favorite holiday recipes on Thanksgiving :)

So sorry to hear about the loss of your Mom. I'm sure it's especially difficult around the holidays.
--------------------
You cannot legislate compassion into your fellow man (or woman, as the case may be), but we should at least attempt to create a society in which each individual has the opportunity to realize his or her potential. If we meet our citizens' needs for Health Care and Education, everything else will take care of itself. --Me

#125 John DePaula

John DePaula
  • Members
  • 1,463 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 01:25 PM

I am going to go with olive oil, garlic, and stock for one batch and milk and butter for the other.

Be careful with the stock, as it can make the potatoes watery. Sometimes I add some dry bouillon to get the flavor of stock without the added water.
--------------------
You cannot legislate compassion into your fellow man (or woman, as the case may be), but we should at least attempt to create a society in which each individual has the opportunity to realize his or her potential. If we meet our citizens' needs for Health Care and Education, everything else will take care of itself. --Me

#126 LadyConcierge

LadyConcierge

Food is good

• Members
  • 1,534 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 01:56 PM

I bet you could reduce the stock to make more of a demi, to get the most flavor with out the extra water.

#127 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,144 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 03:20 PM

I know some folks who actually cook the potatoes in stock to bump up the flavor, too.
Never give up! Never surrender!

#128 John DePaula

John DePaula
  • Members
  • 1,463 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 03:48 PM

I bet you could reduce the stock to make more of a demi as well, to get the most flavor with out the extra water.

I think that would work just fine.
--------------------

#129 Plump_and_Juicy

Plump_and_Juicy
  • Members
  • 2,080 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 08:10 PM

I've got our menu set:

Roasted pears with herbed goat cheese, bacon and honey appetizer
A honkin' 24 pound bird
My mom's stuffing (we're not stuffing it)
Shredded brussel sprouts with bacon (a theme?), parmesan, toasted pine nuts and pomegranate seeds
Garlicky mixed greens
Mashed potatoes
Dinner Rolls
Pumpkin Pie
Pecan Pie

#130 Twitch

Twitch
  • Members
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 09:09 AM

http://daniellespenc...turkey/2008.htm

#131 MaBell

MaBell
  • Members
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 12:55 AM

Whew, it's all over but the leftovers now!

It was a great Thanksgiving at our house this year. My mom was truly amazing - we only had one sort of argument over "saying grace" and I even acquiesced on several points which helped make the day go smoothly. Our first guest arrived at 2:30 and our last guest left at 1:30. I was exhausted but it was so worth all the work to see everyone enjoy themselves so much.

We ended up with 15 people - our floor plan is pretty open so it's hard to keep people from congregating in the kitchen. This is why I'm so glad I added a soup course this year. What's great about the soup course is that once we got everyone seated and served the soup, I had five minutes or so to finish up some odds and ends in the kitchen before the main meal.
Homer: Are you saying you're never going to eat any animal again? What about bacon?
Lisa: No.
Homer: Ham?
Lisa: No.
Homer: Pork chops?
Lisa: Dad, those all come from the same animal.
Homer: Heh heh heh. Ooh, yeah, right, Lisa. A wonderful, magical animal.

#132 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 25 November 2010 - 12:59 AM

Well, how's it going or how did it go? I'm not cooking much for Thanksgiving this year. Just made some pies.

Posted Image

Tried the newer Cook's Illustrated pumpkin pie recipe, including the vodka crust. The only thing I changed was that I put more butter in the crust than they do, using a full stick as opposed to only 6 tbsp and reduce the amount of shortening. It's annoying to me to have the leftover 2 tbsp butter after each crust and I never mind a crust tasting more buttery. The vodka definitely makes the crusts easy to handle. (btw, I made 5 crusts, so I only used 10 tbsp of the bottle. Screwdrivers and vodka martinis on me.)

The only odd thing was that I doubled the recipe (though I had 2 oz less of pumpkin/yam than required) and had way too much for two 9 inch pies. Probably could have done a third pie. The crust size was right.

Posted Image

I don't have my ice cream maker anymore, or I would have made ice cream. Considered pudding, then decided to try doing a steamed custard instead. Poured into a pyrex baking dish and put it into a stockpot with a steamer basket insert:

Posted Image

When it hit 175 degrees in the center, I pulled it out. I think it took about an hour of steaming. Tasted it a little and I think it and the pumpkin pies are going to be overly gingery. They use a lot of fresh ginger, about 2 tbsp per.

Posted Image

Also made a couple berry pies. This was mixed berries (IQF, mixture of marionberry and mixed berry that included strawberries, blackberries, raspberries, and blueberries). I worked on the recipe last year and it combines a few ideas from Cook's Illustrated and Martha Stewart. Basically you take 5 cups of thawed berries, put half in a saucepan with 1/2 C of sugar, a pinch of salt, and some lemon zest (optionally some spices like clove or cinnamon or even some vanilla or herbs) and cook them covered until soft and mashable. Then you take some of the juice from the thawing berries and use 2-3 tbsp of corn starch to make a slurry. Add the slurry to the cooking berries and continue simmering until thick and pudding like. Then you add the remaining berries, mix everything together, and add it to a par-baked crust. Put it in a 375 degree oven for about 45 minutes. Here I added some pie dough cutouts and brushed them with eggwash.

Posted Image

Here I did one of my favorite combos, which is a streusel topping on a berry pie. This one actually had a cup of cranberries and some extra sugar in it.

Won't know til tomorrow how any of it tastes, but hopefully it comes out. I'm interested to try tapioca instead of corn starch in the future to see if its flavor is less noticeable, although this method is better than others, I think.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#133 jennifer

jennifer
  • 3,266 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 10:17 PM

How did the flavor of this crust turn out? Was the pumpkin filling too gingery or just right?

#134 stephelhajj

stephelhajj
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 07:01 PM

First post! Having friends over for a Black Friday Thanksgiving - our 2nd year ever hosting.
We've got 2 GF (non celiac) guests, and 1 vegetarian. The rest would drink bacon cocktails out of bread bowls.

Apps
Stuffed mushrooms
cheese board w/ fruit + nuts + New Cascadia GF bread

Main
Roast turkey (brined - still deciding on flavouring)

Sides
Turkey gravy
GF/Veg mushroom gray
GF/Veg stuffing w/ New Cascadia sourdough
Stuffing w/ mushrooms, celery, apples, onions, bacon ends, and sage
GF Grand Mariner cranberry chutney
GF Slow cooker potatoes au gratin
GF Roasted beet salad w/ goat cheese
GF Grown up green bean casserole (from scratch w/ non GF toasted shallot add)
GF Roasted sweet potatoes with pecans + spiced maple sauce

Dessert (all GF)
Pumpkin pie (w/ Petunia's GF crust)
Southern pecan pie
Roasted pears + ice cream

Beverages
Cocktail - tbd
Homemade pear cider
Wine

#135 jennifer

jennifer
  • 3,266 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 01:58 PM

Ever heard of putting ice packs on the turkey breast while the bird is coming to temp before putting it in the oven?
My friend told me about it this morning.

We usually roast a 12 - 14 lb bird, which works out perfectly. One year we had a 16 lb bird, and ended up pulling it from the oven about 3/4 the way through to remove the leg quarters & stick those back in the oven because the breast meat was already done & we didn't want it to dry out.

This year NS sold out of 14 lb birds early so I have a 15.5 pounder. My friend said to put ice packs on the breast for a while before it goes in the oven. I thought "wtf?!?" So I googled it and found this side-by-side test. So I think I'll try it! Has anyone else done this?

#136 Mist

Mist
  • Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 02:03 PM

America's Test Kitchen tried it. They said it helps some. They just aired a Thanksgiving show over the weekend and talked about icing it, but their preferred method is to start it breast side down and flip it part way through cooking.

#137 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,144 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 02:42 PM

America's Test Kitchen tried it. They said it helps some. They just aired a Thanksgiving show over the weekend and talked about icing it, but their preferred method is to start it breast side down and flip it part way through cooking.

That's my preferred way of roasting a chicken. Makes for a very juicy breast and I never have to leave the bird in longer to cook the dark meat.

Here's a tip though: For a 15+lb. turkey, I would not even mess around with implements/tongs...I'd get a couple of silicon mitts with good grippy palms and just do it with my hands.

#138 jennifer

jennifer
  • 3,266 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 04:29 PM

Struggling with what to add to the table for Thanksgivukkah.  Anyone else working on this too?  What are your plans?  

I'm being told I have to do SOMETHING, since this isn't going to happen again for another 70,000 years, or something like that.  

Random unproductive thoughts included:

Latkes as an appetizer thing?  The prob I see with this is that these things are FILLING.  Who's going to want to eat an entire Thanksgiving feast after lead potato pancakes start hitting people's stomachs.  Plus, am I really going to stand at the stove frying up potato pancakes in the last hour of bringing Thanksgiving dinner all together?  Not happening.

Add a noodle kugel to the table?  But there's already candied yams (sweet), cranberry sauce (sweet) and I feel like there's one more sweet thing on the table that I can't remember.

Rugelach?  I grew up with these being brunch items, not evening dessert.  Am I alone on this?

Cook a brisket?  Wow, brisket AND turkey on the table?  Yikes.

Buzzfeed did a piece on Thanksgivukkah here:  http://www.buzzfeed..../thanksgivukkah  

and Seriouseats.com concocted these crazy gut busters in their Food Lab:  http://www.seriousea...tml?ref=sidebar  

What's your plan so far?

#139 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,144 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 03:07 PM

Article in the NYT on high-heat roasting: http://www.nytimes.c...f-paradise.html

Wow - 8 min/lb at 500 degrees...that's a fast cook!

#140 StMaximo

StMaximo
  • Members
  • 2,702 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 06:38 AM

I'm going to friends for Thanksgiving and they do duck and quail for dinner instead of turkey. But I like some turkey this time of year so I roasted a couple of turkey thighs for dinner last night and served them with some sage dressing, mashed potatoes and chanterelle gravy. Got my fix and I've got enough left overs for another dinner and a couple of sandwiches.

It seems like chanterelles should be part of the celebration with them so abundant this year and at reasonable prices if you don't gather them yourself.