• Please log in to reply
102 replies to this topic

#41 chris pez

chris pez
  • Members
  • 878 posts
  • Interests:music, food, italy, history, little kids who make me laugh

Posted 27 May 2007 - 08:56 PM

from what i heard saturday morning (all second hand, of course) it was the wrong night for me to bail out early. next time i hang in there if only to catch the stories!
foodshedpsx is dead. as is god. and elvis. and george burns. and you and me too soon enough.

#42 Cat Lancaster

Cat Lancaster
  • 2,524 posts

Posted 27 May 2007 - 09:22 PM

from what i heard saturday morning (all second hand, of course) it was the wrong night for me to bail out early. next time i hang in there if only to catch the stories!

Yeah, all the guys bailed - wimps! It was the girls that had the stamina. We kept going, and going and... {and then I got home and passed out <_< }

Cat
"travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" ~ Mark Twain

"I'm not a picky eater, but I'm picky about what I eat." ~ Me

#43 Angelhair

Angelhair
  • 7,660 posts
  • Interests:film, cooking, literature

Posted 28 May 2007 - 08:12 AM

Yeah, all the guys bailed - wimps! It was the girls that had the stamina. We kept going, and going and... {and then I got home and passed out :w00t: }

Cat

From the way I felt Saturday morning, I should have bailed earlier too!

#44 tammi

tammi
  • Members
  • 1,924 posts

Posted 03 June 2007 - 06:53 PM

A girlfriend and I popped in last night after a great dinner at Toro Bravo. It was the most beautiful time of the evening just as the sun went down and the lights of the city were perking up. We sat out on the terrace (most tables were taken) and just took it all in. What a great perch just to sit. I'm not ready to eat there until I hear better reports...and I have to say my glass of wine was *really* warm but the service was ok, the ambiance was everything. For what its worth...I'll go back just for the view. (Maybe after another dinner at TB) :w00t:

#45 John DePaula

John DePaula
  • Members
  • 1,463 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted 14 June 2007 - 08:17 PM

Had a very good HH there last night. Great to meet vj and Francine the Machine and to spend time with all of you. I enjoyed my Duck with Rhubarb Sauce - nicely done.
--------------------
You cannot legislate compassion into your fellow man (or woman, as the case may be), but we should at least attempt to create a society in which each individual has the opportunity to realize his or her potential. If we meet our citizens' needs for Health Care and Education, everything else will take care of itself. --Me

#46 tammi

tammi
  • Members
  • 1,924 posts

Posted 15 June 2007 - 05:37 AM

I really enjoyed the company!! The highlights of the evening were the people for sure...and John De Paula confections too Thanks John! :rolleyes: The beautiful flowers thanks Kate! The fries were pretty good also! John's duck did look amazing.
The menu is sort of...well its kind of off balance IMO.

#47 Flynn

Flynn
  • Secondary Admin
  • 3,681 posts

Posted 15 June 2007 - 07:04 AM

Is Toro Bravo mad you cheated on it??

#48 tammi

tammi
  • Members
  • 1,924 posts

Posted 15 June 2007 - 07:09 AM

Is Toro Bravo mad you cheated on it??

Oh I'm sure....Desperately. I was also deeply ashamed. I barely ate. :rolleyes:

#49 Angelhair

Angelhair
  • 7,660 posts

Posted 15 June 2007 - 07:14 AM

Happy Birthday!

#50 tammi

tammi
  • Members
  • 1,924 posts

Posted 15 June 2007 - 07:31 AM

Yours in next! Are you ready?

#51 Angelhair

Angelhair
  • 7,660 posts

Posted 15 June 2007 - 07:47 AM

Yours in next! Are you ready?

Hey, that's 6 months away! Don't age me!

#52 Francine the Machine

Francine the Machine
  • Members
  • 437 posts

Posted 15 June 2007 - 09:03 AM

Likewise, I really enjoyed meeting all of you! As for Rocket, I know I didn't eat a lot of different things but I was a little underwhelmed, particularly with the way they make you eat. I sometimes like to order several starter-y things and share and nibble, but the prices and portions they offer do not allow for that. While the fava bean dish was very fresh, delicious and well dressed, it was enough for say, 3 people, and $12 to boot. So I couldn't really have afforded to try other things, unless I had gotten an entree, and I wasn't hungry enough for that. I wish they would offer half sized portions of some of those vegetable "sides" & other "prefixes" and cut the cost down a bit...

Just my take on it. Plus Kate's hazelnut cake was smaller than a ding dong. And she said it didn't really have much hazelnut flavor. Just sayin'.

Tammi will be happy to know I am making my maiden voyage to Toro Bravo tomorrow night! Maybe I'll see you there? Ha.

#53 Calabrese

Calabrese

Desaparecido

• Banned
  • 5,970 posts

Posted 15 June 2007 - 09:51 AM

Tammi will be happy to know I am making my maiden voyage to Toro Bravo tomorrow night! Maybe I'll see you there? Ha.

You might see us there tonight.

#54 tammi

tammi
  • Members
  • 1,924 posts

Posted 15 June 2007 - 11:38 AM

You might see us there tonight.

I'll be at a party tonight, so sorry to miss you all!
I'll be there Saturday! :rolleyes:

#55 katez0r

katez0r
  • Members
  • 702 posts

Posted 15 June 2007 - 11:55 AM

Likewise, I really enjoyed meeting all of you! As for Rocket, I know I didn't eat a lot of different things but I was a little underwhelmed, particularly with the way they make you eat. I sometimes like to order several starter-y things and share and nibble, but the prices and portions they offer do not allow for that. While the fava bean dish was very fresh, delicious and well dressed, it was enough for say, 3 people, and $12 to boot. So I couldn't really have afforded to try other things, unless I had gotten an entree, and I wasn't hungry enough for that. I wish they would offer half sized portions of some of those vegetable "sides" & other "prefixes" and cut the cost down a bit...

Just my take on it. Plus Kate's hazelnut cake was smaller than a ding dong. And she said it didn't really have much hazelnut flavor. Just sayin'.

It was fun meeting you, too! I totally agree on everything.

I tried the potato perogies, with catfish, and fried beet. It was ten or so tiny perogies on top of a sauce with itty bitty pieces of catfish in it, and a sort of zest of beet on top that had been fried. The sauce was waaaay too salty, the perogies were fine, and I was bummed that the "fried beet" aspect of the dish was just a zest, not an actual beet. At $14, I feel ripped off. Charlie had grilled pork (I think it was shoulder), with caramelized cauliflower, and spinach ($18). He said he could've made better pork shoulder at home, and that the cauliflower reminded him of something his grandma made with Mrs. Dash. We also had a hazelnut cake that was indeed smaller than a ding dong, with mango sorbet that was on the brink of melting all over the plate, and a rhubarb syrup with too much honey in it. ($8)

The view is fantastic and all, looking out over lush and green SE Portland is pretty gorgeous, but that's the best I can say for Rocket at this point.

#56 Erleichda

Erleichda
  • Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 08:39 AM

We hit Rocket last night. I think the theme from most posts re: zombie servers is right on. Not that the service was slow, or that we expect June Cleaver at the door...but a general lack of interest and excitement. You know that buzz that you sense from servers and waitstaff that demostrates enjoyment or involvement in the cuisine and dining experience? It can be muted, subtle, elegant, hip, swanky, cheeky...but it's palpable. That is what is missing.

The space itself is going to be a problem. It's not really a "dining" experience. Rocket may do very well as a meeting place, bar experience. The perch is great. But we'll stick to cocktails and small plates. No matter how the food changes, the experience is unlikely to warrant a high-end meal pricewise. Bluehour somehow pulls this off, or even better The Modern at MOMA in NYC. Not sure it will happen here. Maybe that is what Leather had in mind, by including the fun options like Lamb Corndog? That would prove foresightful.

#57 Cat Lancaster

Cat Lancaster
  • 2,524 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 09:14 AM

Welcome to the site, Erleichda.

Cat
"travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" ~ Mark Twain

"I'm not a picky eater, but I'm picky about what I eat." ~ Me

#58 kitchenmilitia

kitchenmilitia
  • Members
  • 72 posts
  • Interests:the real deal!

Posted 12 July 2007 - 02:34 PM

i too have sampled some of the food at rocket. dissapointing. where is the cleverness that we were promised?i thought some of the dishes were like kindergarden kitchen experiments.one even reminded me of eating paste...

#59 LionRock

LionRock
  • Members
  • 382 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 03:26 PM

i too have sampled some of the food at rocket. most dissapointing. why are they trying so hard?i thought some of the dishes were like kindergarden kitchen experiments.one even reminded me of eating paste...

I ate there recently and didn't think they were trying hard enough...I had heard that the menu was pretty playful and experimental and felt a little let-down that it was so normal. The fact that the food wasn't actually all that great didn't help...I mean, it was OK, but I won't be rushing back. Underwhelming is a good word to describe it.

I don't know...I know that (in my experience) the whole El Bulli/Fat Duck/Alinea/Moto etc. thing tends to be looked down upon in Portland, but I was hoping to have something a little like that in town as an option. Oh well, not a huge deal in the grand scheme of things.

#60 kitchenmilitia

kitchenmilitia
  • Members
  • 72 posts
  • Interests:the real deal!

Posted 13 July 2007 - 11:28 AM

i too have sampled some of the food at rocket. most dissapointing. why are they trying so hard?i thought some of the dishes were like kindergarden kitchen experiments.one even reminded me of eating paste...

I ate there recently and didn't think they were trying hard enough...I had heard that the menu was pretty playful and experimental and felt a little let-down that it was so normal. The fact that the food wasn't actually all that great didn't help...I mean, it was OK, but I won't be rushing back. Underwhelming is a good word to describe it.

I don't know...I know that (in my experience) the whole El Bulli/Fat Duck/Alinea/Moto etc. thing tends to be looked down upon in Portland, but I was hoping to have something a little like that in town as an option. Oh well, not a huge deal in the grand scheme of things.

well,restaurants like the aformentioned(fat duck/el bulli ect..)are trying to create a dining narrative or contextual narrative manipulating all of the senses.rocket should never be compared or even mentioned in the same sentence as those places.this whole "food profiling" thing is based apon flavor molecules and mirroring textures and flavors.i dont think anyone in the kitchen at rocket really has any expeirience with this kind of "conceptual cuisine".toro bravo is pretty tasty!!!