• Please log in to reply
84 replies to this topic

#41 polloelastico

polloelastico
  • Members
  • 2,749 posts
  • Interests:Tantric yoga and deck shuffleboard

Posted 23 October 2010 - 09:28 PM

Oh wow, Ali's has Iskender Kebabs. I will check that out. Thx Nacho_B!
“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” — George Carlin

#42 polloelastico

polloelastico
  • Members
  • 2,749 posts
  • Interests:Tantric yoga and deck shuffleboard

Posted 20 November 2010 - 12:57 PM

Stopped by Los Gorditos and got three pastor tacos. Unfortunately, they did not have the vertical spit going. The tacos was just ok.

Also went to Ali Baba a couple weeks ago...seemed to me to be standard Kronos-style gyro cone loaf. I definitely enjoyed, however, the fact you can get it in sandwich form (stuffed in crusty bread, with garnishes), which is how I ate street doner when I lived in Ankara, Turkey.
“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” — George Carlin

#43 Flynn

Flynn
  • Secondary Admin
  • 3,681 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 10:47 PM

There's now an outlet of Hush Hush Cafe right next to Starbucks in the Beaverton Fred Meyer complex. 11am-9pm, seven days a week. May check it out tomorrow if not prevented by SNOWPOCALYPSE 2010 EDITION.

#44 jennifer

jennifer
  • 3,266 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 10:11 PM

There's now an outlet of Hush Hush Cafe right next to Starbucks in the Beaverton Fred Meyer complex. 11am-9pm, seven days a week.

Great to know this, thanks!

#45 Nacho_B

Nacho_B
  • Members
  • 224 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 11:05 AM

Stopped by Los Gorditos and got three pastor tacos. Unfortunately, they did not have the vertical spit going. The tacos was just ok.

Also went to Ali Baba a couple weeks ago...seemed to me to be standard Kronos-style gyro cone loaf. I definitely enjoyed, however, the fact you can get it in sandwich form (stuffed in crusty bread, with garnishes), which is how I ate street doner when I lived in Ankara, Turkey.

Hola,

¡Lo siento! That's too bad Los Gorditos didn't have the spit. I hope that's a temporary condition, because that was pretty good...

I am afraid that most all of the places in town are going to have the Kronos-style cone loaf. Perhaps we are going to have to go back to Europe to get the real deal, but I'm holding out some hope for a local version. I did like Ali-Baba's yogurt sauce, although it wasn't as spicy as I'd hoped. I like their seating area too.

The Donner Kebab place on SW 4th does make their own spit cone on-site (per the owner/manager, who is quite a character and fun to talk to). They have the best spicy sauce of any version in town (that I know of), and it is the least "gyro like" version I've found here.

I did have a gyro from the Aybla cart on SE 43rd and Stark, and it was quite good. I had the lamb version, and it tasted like it was all lamb (as opposed to a lamb/beef mix). It seemed kind of small when I got it, but it was a hefty, tasty hunger-killer. Quite good. Not something to eat before a first date or a job interview, but quite enjoyable with flavors just a little bit different than your "standard" gyro.

Entonces, todavía estoy buscando.

#46 Nacho_B

Nacho_B
  • Members
  • 224 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 04:33 PM

Here's another Turkish option, maybe this one is closer to what you had in Turkey.

It's a cart called "Sultan's Kitchen", and they are on SW 4th between Hall and College (near PSU).
Their website is: http://www.sultanskitchenpdx.com/

I had the gyro there, and it was pretty good. It's the standard "Kronos-style" cone loaf, but the yogurt sauce was very tasty, and even had a little bit of spice to it ( I had asked for it spicy). The gyro was a good value at $6, and included shredded carrots, which I haven't seen before. The owner is from Turkey, and we chatted a bit. He gave me a taste of their "walnut and red pepper paste" (cevizli biber per their website) on a bit of pita and that was awesome. I can't believe I've never had that before.

They have chicken options on the menu, but I only saw one vertical spit, so they must grill the chicken. The meat for the durum wasn't sliced directly from the cone, but it was lunchtime on a pleasantly cool and dry afternoon (with some sun, no less). I'll be back to try their other menu items, and I will surely be back for more of that walnut red pepper paste.

¡Disfrute!

#47 Nacho_B

Nacho_B
  • Members
  • 224 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 05:36 PM

Hola,

I am afraid we may have lost Doner Kebab, at 515 SW 4th. I hope that is not the case, but they haven't been open the last two times I've tried to go, and they haven't been answering their phone. Ominously, their website domain has expired.

There isn't any sign on the door indicating change, and there haven't been any visible changes inside the place (construction/demo/etc.). It looks like they just locked up their shop for the night...but that website domain expiration has me concerned. That and the fact that they aren't open during their regularly posted business hours.

Perhaps they have just scaled back or changed their hours, or are taking a vacation (or family medical leave, etc.) I hope they aren't gone for good, because they served up one damn fine Durum Kebab.

Do any of you know about this? Is there any way (other than waiting to see if the signs come down) to determine if they are out of business for good?

Is Portland doomed to a "standard" gyro interpretation of this style of food? Having had some amazing Durum Kebabs in Europe, we're definitely missing out on those over here.

I will be very sad if we have lost Doner Kebab.

#48 joburn

joburn
  • Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 12:51 PM

Hola,

I am afraid we may have lost Doner Kebab, at 515 SW 4th. I hope that is not the case, but they haven't been open the last two times I've tried to go, and they haven't been answering their phone. Ominously, their website domain has expired.

There isn't any sign on the door indicating change, and there haven't been any visible changes inside the place (construction/demo/etc.). It looks like they just locked up their shop for the night...but that website domain expiration has me concerned. That and the fact that they aren't open during their regularly posted business hours.

Perhaps they have just scaled back or changed their hours, or are taking a vacation (or family medical leave, etc.) I hope they aren't gone for good, because they served up one damn fine Durum Kebab.

Do any of you know about this? Is there any way (other than waiting to see if the signs come down) to determine if they are out of business for good?

Is Portland doomed to a "standard" gyro interpretation of this style of food? Having had some amazing Durum Kebabs in Europe, we're definitely missing out on those over here.

I will be very sad if we have lost Doner Kebab.

Seems like it, I have seen the same thing - and no sign indicating a temporary closure.

#49 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,144 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 01:07 PM

There has been no move to renew their OLCC license, which expires on 6/30/11.

The latest OLCC Non-Renewal License List came out yesterday, and there are no notes next to their entry. There is still time for them to renew, but if they haven't yet and it will expire in a month...well, it doesn't look good. Of course, Dot's is couple of entries down on that list and I don't necessarily see them going anywhere...so who knows.

BTW, officially listed as Donner Kebab with two n's...

OLCC Non-Renewal List
Never give up! Never surrender!

#50 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 25 May 2011 - 01:57 PM

Donner Kebab, eh? Maybe they were hoping to strike it rich in the zombie apocalypse, and when it didn't come...

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#51 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,144 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 02:37 PM

Sounds like Zombies on a Stick...

Would that be a zombiesicle? Or would it be only if the zombie is frozen??
Never give up! Never surrender!

#52 m5570

m5570
  • Members
  • 303 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 06:54 AM

the last yelp review on Donner Kebab from March, it sounded like the owner was in terrible shape. Maybe things went south in a really bad way.

#53 ariel88

ariel88
  • Members
  • 1,119 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 02:30 PM

the last yelp review on Donner Kebab from March, it sounded like the owner was in terrible shape. Maybe things went south in a really bad way.

Yikes. :blink:

#54 Nacho_B

Nacho_B
  • Members
  • 224 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 04:24 PM

Amigos,

The totality of these circumstances does not bode well for Dönner Kebab, and that makes me sad. I liked their food, and I liked the place. I liked the owner too. He was a hoot. Everything about that place (expect for the fact that they don’t seem to be open now) was great.

I hope whatever is going on business-wise (personally and/or professionally) that they can pull it together and keep the restaurant going. Hopefully this is a brief period of closure and they’ll be back at it soon. I’ll be first in line if they open their doors again.

If we have lost them as a restaurant, then I hope the best for the owner and staff. I enjoyed their food and their hospitality.

#55 ariel88

ariel88
  • Members
  • 1,119 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 04:31 PM

I liked the owner too. He was a hoot. [...] I enjoyed their food and their hospitality.

I agree. The owner and his wife were very kind, almost doting, whenever we went. The recent review on Yelp doesn't sound like him at all.

#56 justdave

justdave
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 03:24 PM

Looks like the number has finally been disconnected. :(

This makes me very sad. I used to go there every week when I worked a few blocks away. Things seemed a little disorganized the last few times I went, and I haven't seen the owner in quite a while. The guy working the place looked like a younger relation that I had see around before from time to time. Not sure what happened, but I also wish them the best.

#57 HappyHourHero

HappyHourHero
  • Members
  • 199 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 05:48 PM

Well, on a brighter note, I tried at new place at the 50th and Division carts. MercPerks brought me there and it is called "Taste of a Gyro". I went with the chicken shwarma. They have an array of sauces. I went with the feta-habanero. It was spicy. Normally, when I see habanero on a menu, it doesn't reach its potential. This was a full on sweat. I bought 2 iced teas. They have an even hotter sauce too. The sandwich was sizable and at $7, it better be. The chicken was decent, but nothing special. I will definitely go back and try the gyro with the jalapeno feta sauce. Oh, and the gyro meat was on a spit, of course.

#58 Amanda

Amanda
  • 7,626 posts
  • Interests:Eating, cooking, kayaking, canoeing, letterboxing

Posted 14 July 2011 - 06:21 AM

Welcome to the forum, justdave!

Best regards,

Amanda

#59 ducky

ducky
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 08:50 AM

Well, on a brighter note, I tried at new place at the 50th and Division carts. MercPerks brought me there and it is called "Taste of a Gyro". I went with the chicken shwarma. They have an array of sauces. I went with the feta-habanero. It was spicy. Normally, when I see habanero on a menu, it doesn't reach its potential. This was a full on sweat. I bought 2 iced teas. They have an even hotter sauce too. The sandwich was sizable and at $7, it better be. The chicken was decent, but nothing special. I will definitely go back and try the gyro with the jalapeno feta sauce. Oh, and the gyro meat was on a spit, of course.

We've hit them twice now and really enjoy their traditional gyros. The 2nd time was a little but on the dry side but still very good. The last one had me thinking about splitting one becasue they are big. It's becoming the first thing to come to mind when asking "What should we do for dinner?" and starting to head over that way to the carts on the weekends.
Pamela

Eating is not merely a material pleasure. Eating well gives a spectacular joy to life
and contributes immensely to goodwill and happy companionship.
It is of great importance to the morale.

-Elsa Schiaparelli

(Avatar is the cover of Sunlight Cafe by Mollie Katzen)

#60 gastronomydomine

gastronomydomine
  • Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 07:58 PM

I saw a for lease sign in the window of the former Doner Kebab restaurant. Never got to try it.