Food Carts @ Hawthorne & 12th

• Please log in to reply
128 replies to this topic

#121 JayinPortland

JayinPortland
  • Members
  • 278 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 10:07 AM

And, the opening that Yarp?! left goes to...'ETTA!!

From PFC on FB:

Confirmed. Violetta's rolling 'Etta truck will become a fixture at Cartopia on the weekends. Named one of the top 10 burgers in Portland. So excited. Cartopia is at SE 12th and Hawthorne and is the premier evening and late night pod with 6 carts.

They are gonna kill it in that location! Gotta get a burger when they roll on in there...

But but but... what will happen to the little merry-go-round?!

Heh.

I was wondering about this for a while now, actually. I asked the people at Potato Champion once or twice since Yarp?! left, but they didn't hear anything and I haven't been there in about 4 weeks now.

Awww crap, that's all I need. A burger to go along with my along with my random late night fry cravings! Better get used to using the next notch down on the belt, I guess... ;)

#122 jennifer

jennifer
  • 3,266 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 07:56 PM

But but but... what will happen to the little merry-go-round?!

Heh.

I just dumped about $5 in quarters into that little merry-go-round tonight! First time at this cart pod. My 3YO and I both had Margarita pizza's from Pyro. She ate an entire one by herself. I couldn't believe what I was seeing, but yep, she did it. Pizza was good, nicely cooked thin crust. The sauce & cheese were both VERY runny/loose. Probably the loosest I've ever seen on a pizza, but the flavor was very good so I didn't mind. Basil leaves were whole & cooked onto the pie. Just simple and good and at $7 each, a very reasonable price.

Whiffles...we ordered an apple & bacon pie, and a Mounds. I don't think Whiffles is my thing. I don't like the whole deep-fried flavorless oil taste. I like stuff deep fried, but it has to taste like something other than oil. And the dough didn't have much flavor at all. My H liked them though & downed both pies easily, and that was after he ate a humongous brisket sandwich at the BBQ place.

As far as the brisket sandwich, I didn't care for it either. He thought adding sauce to it might make me like it better, but that actually made it worse. The sauce had some weird metalic taste going on that really threw me.

We also got a Nutella & banana crepe which we all liked, especially the little one. She took bites as she went around and around on the merry-go-round.

My H's friend got PB&J fries from Potato Champion and a chicken-pot-pie from Whiffles. The Thai-peanut sauce combined with raspberry chipotle sauce on fries just didn't work for me. The different tastes just didn't seem to come together, or something. And maybe I just didn't have an open enough mind for it. I dunno.

We also got lemonade from the Mexican cart. For some reason I thought it was going to be homemade, but it was a mix.

I'd go back though, there's a definite fun factor here that I love, as does the 3YO. So my next time out I'd want to share a pizza, and try the Poutine from Potato Champion. Which is what I should've done from the start.

Oh...and the crepe place has some great-sounding combo's on the milkshake menu that I'd like to go back and try. Today's special was date & honey, and I've always loved that combo in a milkshake. There were others with blackberries and other fruits that sounded great, as well as a Nutella & peanut butter shake. Yum!

In total, we spent $50 including sodas/drinks and rolled out of there beyond stuffed. Definitely a great family outing.

#123 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,144 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 12:26 PM

My H's friend got PB&J fries from Potato Champion and a chicken-pot-pie from Whiffles. The Thai-peanut sauce combined with raspberry chipotle sauce on fries just didn't work for me. The different tastes just didn't seem to come together, or something. And maybe I just didn't have an open enough mind for it. I dunno.

I don't think it's an open mind you need... Seriously, that sounds disgusting.
Never give up! Never surrender!

#124 jennifer

jennifer
  • 3,266 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 03:52 PM

I don't think it's an open mind you need... Seriously, that sounds disgusting.

Yep, it was pretty gross! :-)

#125 clove2873

clove2873
  • Members
  • 84 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 12:50 PM

Hopped over to cartopia Sunday night & had one heck of a pizza @ Pyro. "The farmer's market" had two varieties of mushrooms: lobster and (if I remember correctly) crimini mushrooms. I'm not sure on that last one. The cheese was a mozzarella, and it had been flecked w/ black pepper. My favorite part of this pizza, though, was the butter which had been drizzled all over top. Deeeelicious.
Do you all have a favorite pie at pyro? How about favorites at the other cartopia carts? I'm a newbie, give me the scoop! :)

#126 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 21 September 2010 - 03:37 PM

Do you all have a favorite pie at pyro? How about favorites at the other cartopia carts? I'm a newbie, give me the scoop!

It's actually my least favorite of the cart pizzas -- at least ones that aren't just some crappy Sysco pizza re-heated. You should give Depokos, Wy'East, Tastebud (at farmers markets), and even Pyro's sister cart downtown, Give Pizza a Chance, a try. Plus there are a few I haven't tried that look promising.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#127 Quo Vadis

Quo Vadis
  • Members
  • 1,854 posts
  • Interests:You live to serve this ship<br />So serve well, and live<br />-Ben Hur

Posted 21 September 2010 - 04:19 PM

Do you all have a favorite pie at pyro? How about favorites at the other cartopia carts? I'm a newbie, give me the scoop!

It's actually my least favorite of the cart pizzas -- at least ones that aren't just some crappy Sysco pizza re-heated. You should give Depokos, Wy'East, Tastebud (at farmers markets), and even Pyro's sister cart downtown, Give Pizza a Chance, a try. Plus there are a few I haven't tried that look promising.

Wy'East is great. And like many things I enjoy closed on Monday <_<
Methinks I am like a man, who having struck on many shoals, and having narrowly escap'd shipwreck in passing a small frith, has yet the temerity to put out to sea in the same leaky weather-beaten vessel, and even carries his ambition so far as to think of compassing the globe under these disadvantageous circumstances-Hume

#128 nate

nate
  • Members
  • 412 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 11:15 AM

I like the others too (though haven't tried Depokos as it's location is not especially convenient for me), but I think Pyro is pretty damn solid in its own right and more importantly, the only one open at 1am on my way home. I've found the pizza in my hand when I'm hungry to almost always be infinitely superior to the pizza that's on the other side of town and not available for another 10-16 hours.

#129 clove2873

clove2873
  • Members
  • 84 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 03:00 PM

Hopped over to cartopia Sunday night & had one heck of a pizza @ Pyro. "The farmer's market" had two varieties of mushrooms: lobster and (if I remember correctly) crimini mushrooms. I'm not sure on that last one. The cheese was a mozzarella, and it had been flecked w/ black pepper. My favorite part of this pizza, though, was the butter which had been drizzled all over top. Deeeelicious.
Do you all have a favorite pie at pyro? How about favorites at the other cartopia carts? I'm a newbie, give me the scoop! :)

here's a picture of "the farmer's market"