128 replies to this topic

#21 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 02 September 2008 - 06:32 PM

Revolving Door Food Pod.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#22 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,144 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 07:40 AM

Revolving Door Food Pod.

Certainly seems like it, eh? El Brasero seems to be anchoring down the back corner and holding on tight, though.
Never give up! Never surrender!

#23 Egads

Egads
  • Members
  • 615 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 07:52 AM

Frozen Fantasy is gone from the pod.

I suspect that's seasonal, no? Can't imagine Oregon in November is going to have much interest in a "frozen fantasy" business, unless it relocates to SE 82nd and, um, changes its business model.

#24 koner

koner
  • Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 09:36 PM

any other word on bubba's? I'd like to make my way down there for a crawfish po' boy but I wanna make sure it's worth it, being that I'm in Gresham and all.... Boy do I miss my old house on 72nd and Mitchell/Foster :-( I was so close to allllllllll the good food spots.....

#25 Markovitch

Markovitch

chinese w-rapper.

• Members
  • 925 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 09:19 AM

Frozen Fantasy is gone from the pod.

I suspect that's seasonal, no? Can't imagine Oregon in November is going to have much interest in a "frozen fantasy" business, unless it relocates to SE 82nd and, um, changes its business model.

nah. not seasonal. they've moved on.

The lot is rented for $500 a 'plot'. it's not the easiest place to rock a food cart; there's scant walk up traffic (compared to downtown), and only Brasero seems to be a destination.

#26 whippy

whippy
  • Members
  • 332 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 04:02 PM

Koner, I'm pretty sure they offer both catfish and shrimp Po Boys, but not crawfish, if that makes any difference to you.
I love how yummy food makes me feel happy!!!!!!

#27 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,144 posts

Posted 27 September 2008 - 08:58 AM

The silver trailer next to Bubba's is gone (don't think it ever opened) and now there is a black and white trailer where Frozen Fantasy used to be (and where My Sister's Soup used to be before that). Didn't see a sign, though, have no idea what it might be...or how long it will be there. ;o)

#28 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 27 September 2008 - 04:54 PM

I talked to the guy at El Brasero. I think it's going to be a pasta cart and they're waiting on the health department.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#29 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,144 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 06:37 PM

Silver cart next to Bubba's is back and has signs that say BBQ.

#30 Markovitch

Markovitch

chinese w-rapper.

• Members
  • 925 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 07:35 AM

Q BBQ, but the menu is a few Teriyaki bowls, a vegi dog and Hawaiian Shave Ice.

Yarp (the black and white cart) is indeed a pasta cart with a fairly extensive menu.

there's also a Bunnies Brown Bag or something like it in a pink truck where Biggs Brothers used to be.

As of yesterday, none of the new ones were open for biz. Yarp looked the closest to launch.

#31 gustoeater

gustoeater
  • Members
  • 291 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 08:30 AM

Off the topic a wee bit, but way up the street...what has moved into the cart that was The Whole Bowl now that WB has gone to brick and mortar?

Q BBQ, but the menu is a few Teriyaki bowls, a vegi dog and Hawaiian Shave Ice.

Yarp (the black and white cart) is indeed a pasta cart with a fairly extensive menu.

there's also a Bunnies Brown Bag or something like it in a pink truck where Biggs Brothers used to be.

As of yesterday, none of the new ones were open for biz. Yarp looked the closest to launch.

#32 swede

swede
  • Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 10:34 AM

[quote name='gustoeater' date='Oct 8 2008, 09:30 AM' post='105027']
Off the topic a wee bit, but way up the street...what has moved into the cart that was The Whole Bowl now that WB has gone to brick and mortar?

According to the Southeast Examiner, it is now something called Swine and Grind. I'm curious.

#33 gustoeater

gustoeater
  • Members
  • 291 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 12:21 PM

Swine and Grind, so sausages?

[quote name='swede' date='Oct 8 2008, 11:34 AM' post='105047']
[quote name='gustoeater' date='Oct 8 2008, 09:30 AM' post='105027']

According to the Southeast Examiner, it is now something called Swine and Grind. I'm curious.
[/quote]

#34 Bubba Bernie

Bubba Bernie
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 11:59 AM

All the carts are open and some have been open for a while. Yarp opens for lunch and reopens for late night (3 am). Brown Bag Bunny is doing lunches and is trying the nights also. I know she plans on stay later on Fri.and Sat. Q BBQ is opening opeing afternoons and staying until 3am Tue thru Sun. El Brasio. opens for lunch and stays open till about 10pm. Potato champion is still 8 pm till 3 am Wed thru Sat. and is planning on opening Tues. as well. I am open Wed thru Sat 6 pm thru 3 am. I have added Clam strip and crabcake Po'boys and crawfrich etouffee to the menue.

The long and short of it is for lunch you have three choices and all 6 are open part of the night and 4 are open till 3 am.

#35 gustoeater

gustoeater
  • Members
  • 291 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 02:39 PM

Wow - is there really sufficient traffic to make staying open until 3am profitable?

#36 Amanda

Amanda
  • 7,626 posts
  • Interests:Eating, cooking, kayaking, canoeing, letterboxing

Posted 09 October 2008 - 03:45 PM

Welcome to the site Bubba Bernie!

Best regards,

Amanda

#37 Bubba Bernie

Bubba Bernie
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 09:24 AM

Wow - is there really sufficient traffic to make staying open until 3am profitable?

I started doing lunches and dinners but I do better being open late nights.

#38 concreteoatmeal

concreteoatmeal
  • Members
  • 2,004 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 10:34 AM

damn it! I wished that worked for some of my favorite brick&mortars.......

Thats really cool though! maybe a late night scene can be fostered from cart pods and spread to restaurants.
"If you were expecting a kick in the groin, and you get a slap in the face.......thats a win where I come from"

#39 Bubba Bernie

Bubba Bernie
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 11:03 AM

damn it! I wished that worked for some of my favorite brick&mortars.......

Thats really cool though! maybe a late night scene can be fostered from cart pods and spread to restaurants.

I hope not. :huh:

#40 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,144 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 03:11 PM

Thanks for posting with the info Bubba Bernie!