Photo

Next Restaurant to Try?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Jamesongrrl

Jamesongrrl
  • Members
  • 1,137 posts
  • Interests:Tied for first: Travel & Food & Motorcycles (particularly my BMW 650 GS)

Posted 19 October 2007 - 11:16 AM

Sel Gris
23 Hoyt
Toro Bravo
Ten - 01

I've seen good post about Toro Bravo and Sel Gris lately... It is a nice birthday dinner- would Toro Bravo be a good choice for that?

Hmmm? ;)
Suggestions?
Jamesongrrl
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.
-J.R.R. Tolkien

#2 Calabrese

Calabrese

Desaparecido

• Banned
  • 5,970 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 11:22 AM

Sel Gris
23 Hoyt
Toro Bravo
Ten - 01

I've seen good post about Toro Bravo and Sel Gris lately... It is a nice birthday dinner- would Toro Bravo be a good choice for that?

Hmmm? ;)
Suggestions?

For your birthday, hit up Sel Gris. But yeah, you do need to get to Toro Bravo if you haven't been there yet.

My next place to try is Hiroshi (which we have reservations for soon).

#3 Amanda

Amanda
  • 7,626 posts
  • Interests:Eating, cooking, kayaking, canoeing, letterboxing

Posted 19 October 2007 - 11:29 AM

I wouldn't hesitate to go to Toro Bravo for any reason at all, especially a birthday occasion. I like Ten-01, as well, but have only been for happy hour and not for dinner. I haven't been to Sel Gris yet. Their reservation policy probably means I won't go there for quite sometime unless I can stay up late some night and I have a hankering for fancy food at that hour.

Best regards,

Amanda

#4 StMaximo

StMaximo
  • Members
  • 2,702 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 11:51 AM

I'm a fan of Country Cat - I'd go there on my birthday or any other occassion!

#5 Jamesongrrl

Jamesongrrl
  • Members
  • 1,137 posts
  • Interests:Tied for first: Travel & Food & Motorcycles (particularly my BMW 650 GS)

Posted 19 October 2007 - 12:02 PM

It isn't my birthday. ;)

I was thinkin' we'd next go to Toro Bravo but I wasn't sure the atmosphere would be 'nice birthday' dinner. And now that Sel Gris has opened- that is very tempting.

I've been to Country Cat, good and a great place for dinner with friends, but I personally wouldn't count it on par with Carlyle, Paley's, etc. Just IMO though.
Jamesongrrl
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.
-J.R.R. Tolkien

#6 daawgon

daawgon
  • Members
  • 275 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 01:21 PM

I like exotic, so for me it's the lamb shank at Kabobi.

#7 katez0r

katez0r
  • Members
  • 702 posts

Posted 20 October 2007 - 06:10 AM

After visiting Sel Gris last night, having had a few visits to Toro Bravo, and considering that it's my birthday today (making me extra qualified to answer this question!), I'd pick Toro Bravo, and that is simply based on the fact that I like the food better there.

But if you're looking for a nice, romantic evening out, Sel Gris is an excellent option especially because they are REALLY encouraging people to make reservations.

Either way, you can't go wrong.

#8 Angelhair

Angelhair
  • 7,660 posts
  • Interests:film, cooking, literature

Posted 20 October 2007 - 07:15 AM

I think Toro Bravo is super-festive, but casual.

Go for Sel Gris!

#9 ducky

ducky
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 20 October 2007 - 09:32 AM

My birthday is coming up next month and I was thinking about what to suggest if anyone asks what to do for me and for once I think my answer is just "take me to dinner". My main choices are Toro Bravo or Sel Gris leaning towards Sel Gris but part of that is because I'm a dessert hound and Steve Smith is there and well, you know how it is.
Pamela

Eating is not merely a material pleasure. Eating well gives a spectacular joy to life
and contributes immensely to goodwill and happy companionship.
It is of great importance to the morale.

-Elsa Schiaparelli

(Avatar is the cover of Sunlight Cafe by Mollie Katzen)

#10 katez0r

katez0r
  • Members
  • 702 posts

Posted 20 October 2007 - 09:37 AM

My birthday is coming up next month and I was thinking about what to suggest if anyone asks what to do for me and for once I think my answer is just "take me to dinner". My main choices are Toro Bravo or Sel Gris leaning towards Sel Gris but part of that is because I'm a dessert hound and Steve Smith is there and well, you know how it is.

Definitely do Sel Gris, Ducky.

And when you want to go there, and order the entire dessert menu please let me know! haha

#11 ducky

ducky
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 20 October 2007 - 09:51 AM

And when you want to go there, and order the entire dessert menu please let me know! haha

You say "haha" but others in this group have witnessed it when *I have* sat down and ordered Steve's entire dessert menu. Seriously. Good stuff, Maynerd.
Pamela

Eating is not merely a material pleasure. Eating well gives a spectacular joy to life

-Elsa Schiaparelli

#12 katez0r

katez0r
  • Members
  • 702 posts

Posted 20 October 2007 - 11:39 AM

You say "haha" but others in this group have witnessed it when *I have* sat down and ordered Steve's entire dessert menu. Seriously. Good stuff, Maynerd.

I'm sorry, Ducky. I was being serious. I really want to be in on that.

#13 Calabrese

Calabrese

Desaparecido

• Banned
  • 5,970 posts

Posted 20 October 2007 - 02:39 PM

Oh hell yeah, go to Sel Gris and order every one of Steven's desserts for your birthday. What a way to celebrate! :D

#14 ducky

ducky
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 20 October 2007 - 02:48 PM

Le'z do it, Babe! I'm free all next week. Anybody else wanna join in? Bring on the sugah buzz! :D
Pamela

-Elsa Schiaparelli

#15 Cat Lancaster

Cat Lancaster
  • 2,524 posts

Posted 20 October 2007 - 06:52 PM

And I happen to have been there for one of those times :D

Cat
"travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" ~ Mark Twain

"I'm not a picky eater, but I'm picky about what I eat." ~ Me

#16 dretceterini

dretceterini
  • Members
  • 683 posts

Posted 21 October 2007 - 02:42 AM

Even though you have done that, I'll bet you couldn't do it at Pix! :D

#17 katez0r

katez0r
  • Members
  • 702 posts

Posted 21 October 2007 - 07:28 AM

Le'z do it, Babe! I'm free all next week. Anybody else wanna join in? Bring on the sugah buzz! :D

I can't do next week. :) I have a friend coming into town, and a work into the evening on a couple weeknights.

#18 ducky

ducky
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 23 October 2007 - 08:55 AM

We'll find a time, Kate. No worries. And no, I haven't done everything at Pix but I did do quite a bit. :P
Pamela

-Elsa Schiaparelli

#19 eatingalot

eatingalot
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 October 2007 - 07:13 PM

Sel Gris
23 Hoyt
Toro Bravo
Ten - 01

Hmmm? ;)
Suggestions?

Sel Gris. Although,depending how many people are going. If it is just you and one other person...sel gris. If many people...toro bravo. they are both top 5 in my book. get the lamb tartar at sel gris.

#20 dretceterini

dretceterini
  • Members
  • 683 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 05:23 AM

Sel Gris
23 Hoyt
Toro Bravo
Ten - 01

Hmmm? :think:
Suggestions?

Sel Gris. Although,depending how many people are going. If it is just you and one other person...sel gris. If many people...toro bravo. they are both top 5 in my book. get the lamb tartar at sel gris.

Sel Gris. I'm not quite as enthusiastic about Toro Bravo as some of the others here. It's not that their food isn't great, but I'm not really that big on tapas.