Kenny & Zuke's Delicatessen

• Please log in to reply
1733 replies to this topic

#1721 JayinPortland

JayinPortland
  • Members
  • 278 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 02:06 PM

Just wanted to mention - the new website is great!

#1722 polloelastico

polloelastico
  • Members
  • 2,749 posts
  • Interests:Tantric yoga and deck shuffleboard

Posted 24 January 2011 - 08:13 PM

It had been a couple years since I had the pastrami at K&Z's, but I was able to make it in for an early lunch a few weeks ago. I had the PLT - man this is great pastrami. The toasted rye was perfect.
ďThink of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.Ē ó George Carlin

#1723 kayte

kayte
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 02:14 PM

Hey! I just wanted to say that the new Day After Thanksgiving sandwich is freakin' fantastic! Thanks for all the good eats.

#1724 christianearl77

christianearl77
  • Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 07:06 PM

Got to try knz today.went with my wife and mother in law .both MIL and i both didnt like pastrami before this,we asked for some samples and wow we they good.wife and i split a pastrami & rye ,and MIL got one as well with a cup chicken noodle soup. we all thought the past.&rye were great (especially since two of us had never liked pastrami before),the MIL just thought the chic noodle soup was just OK.i didnt try it.grape and black cherry boylen sodas were enjoyed by everyone. My wife definately wants to go back. I didnt realize it was so close to powells! wife loves to go there too
oh yeah the pickles and fries were goo too

Edited by ExtraMSG, 11 April 2011 - 07:10 PM.
Merged it.

#1725 christianearl77

christianearl77
  • Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 09:11 PM

sorry to not mention flavors of the food. the pastrami was awesome nice smoke flavor ,and got some spices and really tender.rye bread was good too.this was the first real deli ive been too.

#1726 Quo Vadis

Quo Vadis
  • Members
  • 1,854 posts
  • Interests:You live to serve this ship<br />So serve well, and live<br />-Ben Hur

Posted 13 April 2011 - 08:01 AM

rye bread was good too

This is to me what reallt stands out about K&Z.
Of course the pastrami is delicious. That's a given.
But what makes me happy is the little details that are better than they have to be.
Like the rye bread and the potato salad.
Just old fashioned good craftsmanship.
Methinks I am like a man, who having struck on many shoals, and having narrowly escap'd shipwreck in passing a small frith, has yet the temerity to put out to sea in the same leaky weather-beaten vessel, and even carries his ambition so far as to think of compassing the globe under these disadvantageous circumstances-Hume

#1727 chefken

chefken
  • Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 08:36 AM

Jeez, Janis...We really need to get a room (see my post on the Tanuki thread). :wub:
signature

#1728 jennifer

jennifer
  • 3,266 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 10:40 PM

Was craving good fries a couple of weeks ago so we ran down to K&Z for lunch. Ordered a tuna melt, which I normally love. But this time the tuna seemed like it had a vat of mayo in it, and the fries werenít their usual hot crispy selves, they were cold and not crisp. Total bummer. My H ordered eggs sunny side up but they came with hard yolks. And the latkes, normally great (and people usually call them overcooked but we love them crispy the way the deli makes them), were WAY overcooked. He said the pastrami was meh, not the usual smoky tender stuff. I probably shouldíve asked for fresh fries but they were so slammed I didnít want to bother them.

Iím writing on this because itís not the first inconsistency weíve experienced. Itís about the 4th time in recent visits that things havenít been as good as they used to be. We eat in or do take-out from the deli quite a lot, maybe 3 Ė 5 times/month, which is a lot for us for one place.

Iíve noticed that the Big Salad is waning on the vegetable-to-lettuce ratio, and there used to be great things in there like fennel and whatnot. I think I even remember fresh julienned zucchini in there a long while ago. The most recent one I had was very light on vegetablesÖa scattering of carrot, cuke, 2 cherry tomatoes and a big pile of romaine. I preferred the way it used to be with lots of vegetables and more varieties of vegetables, that way I donít get bored halfway through the salad.

Not sure whatís going on but it seems like the attention to detail that used to be there isnít really there right now. My H said we need to not go for a few months and then try it again. So thatís what weíre doing. But I sure miss what used to be. Iíll report back once we go again, probably in a couple of months.

#1729 Amanda

Amanda
  • 7,626 posts
  • Interests:Eating, cooking, kayaking, canoeing, letterboxing

Posted 17 August 2011 - 06:27 AM

It's been a long time since I've been to the deli, unfortunately. God knows, I used to practically live there. I thought the management would start charging me for rent. There is no way I can go there for lunch anymore. I'm sorry things have been inconsistent.

That said, maybe K&Z's isn't consistently great, but it isn't consistently bad, either. A friend of mine at work came up to me recently and told me while her dad was visiting from out of state he said the best meal he's ever eaten in Portland ever was at Kenny & Zuke's a few weeks back. There are kudos to be had.

As for me, I'd like to hit it at Happy Hour sometime after work in some type of loose get-together. Maybe in September. The last couple months have been out of control busy for me - but in a fun way.

Best regards,

Amanda

#1730 chefken

chefken
  • Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 07:35 AM

Was craving good fries a couple of weeks ago so we ran down to K&Z for lunch. Ordered a tuna melt, which I normally love. But this time the tuna seemed like it had a vat of mayo in it, and the fries weren’t their usual hot crispy selves, they were cold and not crisp. Total bummer. My H ordered eggs sunny side up but they came with hard yolks. And the latkes, normally great (and people usually call them overcooked but we love them crispy the way the deli makes them), were WAY overcooked. He said the pastrami was meh, not the usual smoky tender stuff. I probably should’ve asked for fresh fries but they were so slammed I didn’t want to bother them.

I’m writing on this because it’s not the first inconsistency we’ve experienced. It’s about the 4th time in recent visits that things haven’t been as good as they used to be. We eat in or do take-out from the deli quite a lot, maybe 3 – 5 times/month, which is a lot for us for one place.

I’ve noticed that the Big Salad is waning on the vegetable-to-lettuce ratio, and there used to be great things in there like fennel and whatnot. I think I even remember fresh julienned zucchini in there a long while ago. The most recent one I had was very light on vegetables…a scattering of carrot, cuke, 2 cherry tomatoes and a big pile of romaine. I preferred the way it used to be with lots of vegetables and more varieties of vegetables, that way I don’t get bored halfway through the salad.

Not sure what’s going on but it seems like the attention to detail that used to be there isn’t really there right now. My H said we need to not go for a few months and then try it again. So that’s what we’re doing. But I sure miss what used to be. I’ll report back once we go again, probably in a couple of months.

Very sorry about your experience, Jennifer. As busy as we are, sometimes some things do slip through the cracks, and unfortunately it happened with your lunch. It happens with all restaurants - even with the best of them - and when you average 4-600 covers per day, occasionally one or two get by you. Not an excuse, and be assured I will look into the issues you had and try to correct them. But sometimes shit happens.

If you would IM me your address, I would like to send you a gift certificate. Doesn't make up for the bad experience, but if and when you do decide to try us again it will help heal the wound, I hope. And please, if you do return, let me know how it turns out.

Just on a couple of issues - There was never zucchini on the salads, FWIW. Also, I'm a bit doubtful about the pastrami - it's possible that your H's experience with it was colored by the rest of the food. But the pastrami is something we generally have down to a formula and something I monitor pretty closely, and it's unlikely the smoke level or quality was different than usual. Still, you never know as it's a famously hard product to get consistent, and I'm not trying to make excuses.

Again, my sincerest apologies.
signature

#1731 jennifer

jennifer
  • 3,266 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 11:31 AM

Thanks Ken and thanks for the generous offer on the gift certificate but that isn't necessary. We'll be back in 2-3 months, I'm sure. I posted about this because it's not a one-off experience. It's been an ongoing theme for us lately with the deli, and we love K&Z and want it to continue to be as great as it's been in the past. When you're a regular someplace, consistency is a big issue. And if consistency slips then you start to look for new places to replace the old. We don't want to replace K&Z on our rotation, we just want to be able to go there excited, instead of wondering how it will be that day, if that makes sense.

I found a pic online of the Big Salad. I'm going to attempt to link to it below (this may or may not work). This is similar to what the pastrami looked like on our last visit...kind of dry and not very tender (link to the photo page here: http://www.flickr.co...107/3227030224/ and actual photo here by Sheri on Flickr:)

EDIT: couldn't post image. But the URL to the image is in the line above.

Max still orders the pastrami but I actually stopped ordering it about a year ago because it didn't seem the same anymore. It used to look like the below pics from Save the Deli, much more moist, smoky and fall-apart tender...super decadent:

Posted Image

Posted Image

I'll post back and let you know how things go when we give it a try again. Thanks!

#1732 chefken

chefken
  • Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 12:10 PM

Thanks Ken and thanks for the generous offer on the gift certificate but that isn't necessary. We'll be back in 2-3 months, I'm sure. I posted about this because it's not a one-off experience. It's been an ongoing theme for us lately with the deli, and we love K&Z and want it to continue to be as great as it's been in the past. When you're a regular someplace, consistency is a big issue. And if consistency slips then you start to look for new places to replace the old. We don't want to replace K&Z on our rotation, we just want to be able to go there excited, instead of wondering how it will be that day, if that makes sense.

I found a pic online of the Big Salad. I'm going to attempt to link to it below (this may or may not work). This is similar to what the pastrami looked like on our last visit...kind of dry and not very tender (link to the photo page here: http://www.flickr.co...107/3227030224/ and actual photo here by Sheri on Flickr:)

EDIT: couldn't post image. But the URL to the image is in the line above.

Max still orders the pastrami but I actually stopped ordering it about a year ago because it didn't seem the same anymore. It used to look like the below pics from Save the Deli, much more moist, smoky and fall-apart tender...super decadent:

Posted Image

Posted Image

I'll post back and let you know how things go when we give it a try again. Thanks!

See, with all due respect, that's why I'm a little confused. The pastrami in the Big Salad was from 2 1/2 years ago. We started brining our own about 9 months ago (we've always smoked it in-house), and I think it's much improved. But again, I'll keep working on the consistency issues. And thanks for your patience, and loyalty. I know your comments are only meant to help.
signature

#1733 ASquared

ASquared
  • Members
  • 445 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 01:06 PM

Had not been in a long while, but went twice in the last week. On both occasions the pastrami seemed very dry. Has this been common lately or do I just have bad luck?

#1734 ASquared

ASquared
  • Members
  • 445 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 04:19 PM

This is good news.

http://www.oregonliv...jor_change.html